Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refugees who escaped truck in laois not being searched for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

jacksie66 wrote: »
    What's the logic behind this? Couple of refugees were discovered in a truck in Laois. They jumped out and ran away. According to this article they're not being searched for? Am I missing something or is this utter madness..
    http://www.midlands103.com/news-centre/no-searches-planned-refugees-laois/

How’d they get as far as Laois? Fake News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

What's the logic behind this? Couple of refugees were discovered in a truck in Laois. They jumped out and ran away. According to this article they're not being searched for? Am I missing something or is this utter madness..

How would you begin to search for them OP?

They jumped out of the back of a truck and did a runner. It's not like the Gardai have a last known address of a list of acquaintances. They wouldn't know their names, probably don't even know where they came from and probably only have a vague idea about what they look like.

So how would you propose that the Gardai search for them and how much resources do you think should be put into this search?

The article says that an investigation is ongoing - I guess that means that the few details they have are in PULSE and they'll look again if anything shows up on the system.
    That's probably the appropriate response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Soft touch! They should be hunted down and shot by the army or theyll all be over!

(Am I doing it right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Try_harder wrote: »
    Soft touch! They should be hunted down and shot by the army or theyll all be over!

(Am I doing it right?)

Shoot them and then send their bodies to jail.

Send in Rambo to skulk the wilds of Laois and hunt them all down, one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

And deport them as soon as they've served their time.

Put their bodies on display at the ports to ward off others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Wandering around Laois, havent the poor devils suffered enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

I saw a fella of African descent on the M1 motorway between the port tunnel and the M50 junction the same day. Looked very suspicious, anyone else see him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭MFPM

Jaysus you get very defensive. Maybe it's just me but I'm not particularly happy about 5 people like that wandering the countryside. But sure leave them off, and the next truck, and the next truck.

Like what?

They tuk r jabs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Just when you think things couldnt sink any lower this happens it must be so great to have such a bunch of buffoons running things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm going to have my dinner.

And then I'm going to go out searching for them. Woe betide anyone I see who happens to look a bit foreign, that's all I can say.

That's the spirit, go get anyone that doesn't look like a big thick bogger!

In Portlaoise they called to the address of a woman who had no TV license and took her to Mountjoy womens prison. It was the wrong person they arrested!

Sure they did!

• Advertisement

Mutant z wrote: »
    Just when you think things couldnt sink any lower this happens it must be so great to have such a bunch of buffoons running things.

Ah would ya stop

iHungry wrote: »
    I saw a fella of African descent on the M1 motorway between the port tunnel and the M50 junction the same day. Looked very suspicious, anyone else see him?

Yeah I spotted him too, he was thumbing a lift, I picked him up. Turns out he's from Connemara.

Taytoland wrote: »
    No surprise. Leo Varadkar is weak on crime, weak on border controls, just weak in general. Time for him to resign.

I had a mate who saw the migrants getting out of the truck. He said it was Leo himself that opened the truck to let them out!
    He even gave each of them a McDonalds voucher.

Effects wrote: »

And also a pram for their kids. They left the pram at a bus stop though, because they can always get another one for free from off of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The lads on the €2,000 (or so, estimate) €6m (circa) Garda helicopter that was out looking for them,
    probably just ran out of spare change for the on-board charge coin meter.

There you go, 10k taxpayer cost on day 1 of what may become a regular occurrence, post-brexit.
    Check you car boot, for additional weight, on your next booze cruise back from Holyhead/Cherbourg/Roscoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Brits will be delighted to hear this, we're pushing for no border checks after Brexit between what will be an EU country and part of the UK and we can't even stop illegals getting in here on the back of a truck.

And to make it worse we can't even find them now that they are here, they could be rapists or murderers for all we know and nobody knows where they are.

Right, I've had my dinner. As soon as EastEnders is over, I'm going out to search for them. Actually, it'll have to wait til after tonight's second episode of Coronation Street.

Check you car boot, for additional weight, on your next booze cruise back from Holyhead/Cherbourg/Roscoff.

Can you recommend a decent car scales that isn't too pricey and folds up small?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Odhinn wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll be found before the poor fools cross into Offally.

Not even God can help them if they end up in Biffoland....

I had a mate who saw the migrants getting out of the truck. He said it was Leo himself that opened the truck to let them out!

Sure Simon Coveney was there with the keys to a 2018 Ford Galaxy and the keys to a 5 bedroom house as well for each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

They should be alright once they haven't any illegal garlic with them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

What's the logic behind this?

When the gardai refer to searches they are referring to organised searches of a particular area. Searching the nearby fields is unlikely to yield much after 24 hours.

Feel a bit of pity for Hapax and Try Harder satirising some reaction from others on here that they've made up in their heads.

It just looks weird and stupid.

Feel a bit of pity for Hapax and Try Harder satirising some reaction from others on here that they've made up in their heads.

It just looks weird and stupid.

I'm satirising nobody. As soon as the RTE Nine O'Clock News is over, I'll be off searching for them.

It's probably more a feeling that you might get when taking corners at speed, that there might be a handful (x5 in this instance) of uninvited guests rolling around in the back of a van and some yelps too if you're heavy footed with the aul brakes and/or acceleration.

...On second thoughts (RTE eventually got around to publishing this story) https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/0803/982833-gardai-portlaoise/ and it's a full sized commercial transport lorry so no real way of knowing.
    It is believed the lorry had travelled from Spain to Cherbourg in France before arriving in Rosslare by ferry. The Irish Road Haulage Association has called for the proper policing of foreign ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why don't you look for them if you're so worried about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

I'm satirising nobody. As soon as the RTE Nine O'Clock News is over, I'll be off searching for them.
    And what will you do if you find them?
    Probably embrace them into you buxom, harbour them at your home, and bask in the glorious feels.

gw80 wrote: »
    And what will you do if you find them?
    Probably embrace them into you buxom, harbour them at your home, and bask in the glorious feels.

I'll hand them in to the authorities. As soon as the Nathan Carter Show on RTE1 is over, I'll be out there, searching the streets for them.

Hows the search party going lads? Are the wimminz making ye sandwiches?

I'll hand them in to the authorities. As soon as the Nathan Carter Show on RTE1 is over, I'll be out there, searching the streets for them.

You've managed to hit a new low.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Them guys in Calais trying to get onto trucks were a lovely bunch, hopefully it's some of them gentlemen. Apparently a lot of them were doctors and engineers, so theirs a very real chance they could help fix the HSE.
    What's not to like?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

elperello wrote: »
    Hard to know if they are not found.

If they are not found or they dont seek asylum the answer becomes obvious

Gatling wrote: »
    If they are not found or they dont seek asylum the answer becomes obvious

They got the brown sauce sammichs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

They'll be hard to miss, particularly in Laois!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

Just 20 year old Syrian children from Africa. Don't fence them in and you need them to pay your pension.

Yours
    Angela Merkel

Ps. Have you got room for about another 500,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Halfords, ask for Ahmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Does this mean I will have to lock the front door and take the car key out of the ignition and lock it every night now before I go to bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

iHungry wrote: »

No

Isnt everyone of African descent?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sounds like the pitch for the next The Hills Have Eyes remake

• Advertisement

If you're within walking/running/car-commandeering distance of this location:

MvY7Z3Q.png

Sure why not bolt down that open window at the back of the house/shed, before sundown (right about now).
    Send your 'thank you note', over to the competent border staff over in Cherbourg and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Word on the street is that they have been picked up by members of the fifth column and are in route to
    Clonskeagh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I love this reaction. A lot of us have a genuine worry about these unknown foreign particular individuals roaming around the countryside and all you can give is this snide remark. What happens if they get hungry and desperate and break into an old person's home and attack them for food. I suppose there's nothing to worry about..

I love this reaction!
    What makes you think these particular people who you don't know are any worse then the thousands of other people in the country that you don't know!!

I love this reaction. A lot of us have a genuine worry about these unknown foreign particular individuals roaming around the countryside and all you can give is this snide remark. What happens if they get hungry and desperate and break into an old person's home and attack them for food. I suppose there's nothing to worry about..

Would they not just eat their food? Why would they attack them? Cos they are savages?

• Advertisement
Advertisement