Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asset Rich, Cash Poor first time buyer - Options?

Options
  • 03-08-2018 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello all,

If you are asset rich but cash poor and a first time house buyer, what, if any, mortgage options are available? Can't seem to find much information about that scenario on any of the banks websites. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I expect you'd have to liquidate some of your assets to raise the cash for the deposit on the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Sell assets, buy house, no mortgage required. Job done.

If you need a mortgage then calculate how much you need and sell assets for the remainder.

If you only recently inherited the assets and can’t demonstrate paying rent or saving regularly then you may have a problem. But if they are assets you have invested in over time and can liquidate sufficient for a deposit and satisfy the affordability criteria and central bank rules, then it should be plain sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hello all,

If you are asset rich but cash poor and a first time house buyer, what, if any, mortgage options are available? Can't seem to find much information about that scenario on any of the banks websites. Thanks.

Not trying to be smart here but how could you be asset rich and not have bought a house?

Do you own loads of land or jewelry or drive a new Rolls Royce?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Not trying to be smart here but how could you be asset rich and not have bought a house?

Inheritance?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Shares, bonds, crypto, commercial property, agri land etc... not everyones first port of call is buying a house.

• Advertisement

Turkish1 wrote: »
    Shares, bonds, crypto, commercial property, agri land etc... not everyones first port of call is buying a house.

Wouldn't shares, bonds and crypto all be a form of gambling and frowned upon by a bank?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Wouldn't shares, bonds and crypto all be a form of gambling and frowned upon by a bank?

No to the first two, not sure how the banks look at crpyto given its volatility.

No to the first two, not sure how the banks look at crpyto given its volatility.

News to me, would like to know what assets the thread starter actually has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Maybe he has a combine harvester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Banks sell shares and bonds so can't see them chastising people for having them

• Advertisement

Banks sell shares and bonds so can't see them chastising people for having them

More news to me, learning a lot on this thread.

No, it’s all just investing, granted crypto currency is high risk so any of those stocks may be disregarded as they are too volatile.
    Gambling is done at the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you are cash poor I can't see any bank giving you any kind of mortgage unless they can get a lein on some tangible assets to guarantee the mortgage (does that work in Ireland?) - stocks and the ilk wouldn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

I'm a farmer by trade, been investing in and expanding my land, equipment, livestock etc over the last two decades but never actually built my own home. I've been living and home with the odd bit of renting a house over the last few years.

I know I could sell land etc to make the deposit but then that puts my farming activities in a precarious position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you have the land in your own name and use some of the land along with the house as security.

There are a few ways you could structure this depending how strong your balance sheet is and what the legal structure is. You really need tax and accounting advice.

Do you have a commercial bank that lends to you for the farm?

You have plenty equity. The question is going to be whether you have adequate income from the farm taking into account any other repayments that need to be made.

Don’t go rushing off selling land anyway. Get professional advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm a farmer by trade, been investing in and expanding my land, equipment, livestock etc over the last two decades but never actually built my own home. I've been living and home with the odd bit of renting a house over the last few years.

I know I could sell land etc to make the deposit but then that puts my farming activities in a precarious position.

Even if you sold the land for a deposit you probably (judging by the OP) don't have enough money coming in to support a mortgage
    I doubt even the banks would loan against land which is probably just purposed for farming so no real future value increase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I'd be more worried about the fact that as a business owner you have invested in a business for 20 years and are still cash poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Do you want a residential mortgage? If so then you need a normal deposit aka cash - 10% for first time buyers.

If you are not asking about residential mortgage then you need professional advice!

You still need to meet all the Mortgage criteria. If the farm is not giving you much of an income then it will be very difficult for you to get a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

One has to pay tax on crypto profits. Harsh if regarded as gambling.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    Do you want a residential mortgage? If so then you need a normal deposit aka cash - 10% for first time buyers.

If you are not asking about residential mortgage then you need professional advice!

There is no requirement that I know of, certainly no central bank requirement, that there be a cash deposit for a residential mortgage. What matters is the LTV ratio.

There is no requirement that I know of, certainly no central bank requirement, that there be a cash deposit for a residential mortgage. What matters is the LTV ratio.

I meant rather than money tied up in an investment! I don't think the OP has money in a deposit account - and I don't think he wants to cash in his investments.

For someone with so many financial investments in shocked about how clueless the OP is about standard lending requirements.

aido79 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the fact that as a business owner you have invested in a business for 20 years and are still cash poor.

Welcome to farming in Ireland unfortunately. You have to invest to keep things going but you don’t necessarily see a big return on the investment but it still has to be done.

I meant rather than money tied up in an investment! I don't think the OP has money in a deposit account - and I don't think he wants to cash in his investments.

For someone with so many financial investments in shocked about how clueless the OP is about standard lending requirements.

He doesn’t need to cash in his investments. He doesn’t need money in a deposit account.

The required loan amount divided by the total value of the security offered just needs to be less than 90 percent to meet the LTV requirement.

He doesn’t need to cash in his investments. He doesn’t need money in a deposit account.

The required loan amount divided by the total value of the security offered just needs to be less than 90 percent to meet the LTV requirement.

Where does that 10% come from?

Where does that 10% come from?

In brief, the bank.

Let’s say the OP owns a farm. The land of farm is worth one million euros.

The farm, let’s say, is unencumbered by any other debt.

The OP now wants to buy a house. Let’s say the house is adjacent to the farm but it might not be. Or the house might need to be built. But let’s keep it simple.

The house is €240,000.

The OP could apply for a mortgage for 250,000 euros he needs to cover the house and expenses tgat will qrise like legal fees and stamp duty abd very basic furniture abd moving fees. The OP would offer the farm and the house together as security.

The combined value of the house and land is 1.24 million euros.

The bank will assess the application on the basis of the loan to value being just under 20 percent.

If the bank is satisfied the OP has income to repay and the security is good, then there is no reason why the bank wouldn’t advance the entire 250,000 the OP woild require.

The fact that the amount being advanced is more than 100 percent of the value of the house actually being purchased is immaterial to the bank.

In brief, the bank.

Let’s say the OP owns a farm. The land of farm is worth one million euros.

The farm, let’s say, is unencumbered by any other debt.

The OP now wants to buy a house. Let’s say the house is adjacent to the farm but it might not be. Or the house might need to be built. But let’s keep it simple.

The house is €240,000.

The OP could apply for a mortgage for 250,000 euros he needs to cover the house and expenses tgat will qrise like legal fees and stamp duty abd very basic furniture abd moving fees. The OP would offer the farm and the house together as security.

The combined value of the house and land is 1.24 million euros.

The bank will assess the application on the basis of the loan to value being just under 20 percent.

If the bank is satisfied the OP has income to repay and the security is good, then there is no reason why the bank wouldn’t advance the entire 250,000 the OP woild require.

The fact that the amount being advanced is more than 100 percent of the value of the house actually being purchased is immaterial to the bank.

So your telling the OP to mortgage the farm? Is that good advice? Should they not just cash in on their crypto currency? Would they be subject to commercial rates? Are they higher?

So your telling the OP to mortgage the farm? Is that good advice? Should they not just cash in on their crypto currency? Would they be subject to commercial rates? Are they higher?

I am not advising the OP to do anything. In general terms it is a good idea to mortgage assets to buy a house to live in in Ireland so that you can avoid the high cost and uncertainty of renting. I do not know anything about the OP’s crypto currency holdings. It is up to the bank how they price the loan.It’s evidently a residential property loan not a commercial loan to develop a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Welcome to farming in Ireland unfortunately. You have to invest to keep things going but you don’t necessarily see a big return on the investment but it still has to be done.

Regardless of what the business is the OP after 2 decades hasn't enough money for the deposit for a house. Why should farming be different from any other business? If it's not working out maybe it's time to try something different or a different approach to farming.
    This is way off topic though.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    Regardless of what the business is the OP after 2 decades hasn't enough money for the deposit for a house. Why should farming be different from any other business? If it's not working out maybe it's time to try something different or a different approach to farming.
    This is way off topic though.

It is easy to confuse cash and wealth. The whole point of a bank loan is to convert wealth into cash. Cash is the end result of a loan, not the precondition.

Advertisement