Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Classic' log book

Options
  • 03-08-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first time posting in here. I'm in the process of buying a 40 yr old Land Rover, it has the old brown tax/log book. It's not roadworthy so I will be declaring it off the road. When changing the name on the book , will they return it to me or will I end up with a modern Vehicle Registration Certificate? Reason I ask is that the old book is 'history in itself. Thanks.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi all, first time posting in here. I'm in the process of buying a 40 yr old Land Rover, it has the old brown tax/log book. It's not roadworthy so I will be declaring it off the road. When changing the name on the book , will they return it to me or will I end up with a modern Vehicle Registration Certificate? Reason I ask is that the old book is 'history in itself. Thanks.....

If there is room on the existing book for a new owner you'll get it back. If not you'll get a new old style book, they are still giving them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Neilw wrote: »
    If there is room on the existing book for a new owner you'll get it back. If not you'll get a new old style book, they are still giving them out.

Aw, great, thanks for that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Its a while since I did a change of ownership with a brown book but I think its still the case where the change of owners is dealt in your local motor tax office, not Shannon.
    Don't post it, bring it in with details filled out on a change of ownership form and you'll get the book handed back to you.

Blue850 wrote: »
    Its a while since I did a change of ownership with a brown book but I think its still the case where the change of owners is dealt in your local motor tax office, not Shannon.
    Don't post it, bring it in with details filled out on a change of ownership form and you'll get the book handed back to you.

Ok, I'll do that, thanks.....

Blue850 wrote: »

Correct, the change of ownership on a vintage vehicle is done through your local tax office. You need form RF200 filled out by you and the previous owner.

I did it last month.

• Advertisement

Correct, the change of ownership on a vintage vehicle is done through your local tax office. You need form RF200 filled out by you and the previous owner.

I did it last month.

Thanks Neilw.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I did it last month.

So how does it work if the previous owner is no longer contactable?

Zoo4m8 wrote: »

let-megetthat-with-my-strong-hand-diy-lol-com-11258868.png

Fill in the owners details with your bad hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

if the details dont match what they have in the tax office then you could be in a spot of bother, happened me when the last name that was in the book wasnt actually the last owner on their records so they wouldnt accept the form i had filled in!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

And what with the data protection laws, the tax office wont give you the last owners details either,
    for you to follow things up, and clarify the current owner status either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Zoo4m8 wrote: »

You fill in the form with the last name and address on the tax book and sign the name, I was once told to do this by the person behind the counter but that I didn't hear it from her !!

You will have to prove the car exists so will have to drive it or trailer to a main dealer so they can check the chassis number matches the logbook & same with the either the Gardai, peace commissioner or a solicitor forms will have to be signed stamped etc & whatever the charge is paid, a total pain in the butt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

You will have to prove the car exists so will have to drive it or trailer to a main dealer so they can check the chassis number matches the logbook & same with the either the Gardai, peace commissioner or a solicitor forms will have to be signed stamped etc & whatever the charge is paid, a total pain in the butt!

he has the taxbook, none of that is necessary unless the book is lost surely.

well i had to do it twice 2 cars so tell that to the powers that be!

hi5 wrote: »
    You fill in the form with the last name and address on the tax book and sign the name, I was once told to do this by the person behind the counter but that I didn't hear it from her !!

This exactly.

The current owners name is on the brown logbook, this name, address and signature needs to go on the RF200 and hand it into your local tax office.
    They will do the change of ownership to you there and then, they also write your name as the now current owner onto the brown book.

No need to main dealers, guards or any of that messing.

no that's not the way it was the last registered owner wasnt the last name in the book i dont know why but it wasn't & that's what had to be done, its not messing its what the tax-office requested me to do so there ya go lads!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

no that's not the way it was the last registered owner wasnt the last name in the book i dont know why but it wasn't & that's what had to be done, its not messing its what the tax-office requested me to do so there ya go lads!

Me too.

Same scenario for a van a family member bought, with missing logbook. Grief went on for months, and it was sold as a scrapper in the wind up.

I suppose it depends on each individual tax office, god knows they are never on the same page as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

This exactly.

The current owners name is on the brown logbook, this name, address and signature needs to go on the RF200 and hand it into your local tax office.
    They will do the change of ownership to you there and then, they also write your name as the now current owner onto the brown book.

No need to main dealers, guards or any of that messing.

I’ve a one owner bike here, last taxed in 1937...the original owner has long gone to his reward, I suppose when I fill in his details I’d better do it with a very shakey hand..:)

OP back, went to local Tax Office and got the ownership transferred no problem, I was the 8th owner and there was only 'room' enough for me so I got the original Tax Book back. Declared it off road for a year at the same time, a productive morning.....

29037093917_a8fa602562_c.jpg

Advertisement