Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladybirds everywhere!

Options
  • 03-08-2018 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I'm in wexford and there are ladybirds all over my garden. Particularly all over the grass. I counted at least a hundred - and that was just the outskirts of the grass and now I'm afraid to walk on the grass in case I squash a load of them. Does anyone know why there are so many of them and whether they will move off? Really need to cut the grass ! Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They often mass in summers with very warm weather. They'll move on fairly quickly and a great addition to the garden for pest control.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

You are so blessed ... saw one 22 spot yellow ladybird yesterday and was delighted. Can I ask are there particular plants they seem to prefer???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You're so lucky, wish I could get a swarm of them in the garden to get rid of the greenfly
    Was in Torremolinos in a penthouse apartment earler in the year - there was literally thousands of them swarming around the plants, was really nice to see - shoulda bottled some of them to bring home.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Penny87

Knit wit wrote: »
    You are so blessed ... saw one 22 spot yellow ladybird yesterday and was delighted. Can I ask are there particular plants they seem to prefer???

There were a few on a plant called Cosmos (my mams plant) they seem to like it but they're mostly just all over the grass. Threading very carefully when we walk in the garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

What a cute problem.

• Advertisement

And here they are :) well 5 of them..multiply this by a hundred or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

Knit wit wrote: »

http://www.habitas.org.uk/ladybirds/harlequin.html

not so blessed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Penny87 wrote: »
    I'm in wexford and there are ladybirds all over my garden. Particularly all over the grass. I counted at least a hundred - and that was just the outskirts of the grass and now I'm afraid to walk on the grass in case I squash a load of them. Does anyone know why there are so many of them and whether they will move off? Really need to cut the grass ! Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

I posted on the same topic, same title a week ago. Same wonderful problem. I have a reel mower so was able to carefully trim grass

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057896607/1/#post107650375

Grawns wrote: »
    I posted on the same topic, same title a week ago. Same wonderful problem. I have a reel mower so was able to carefully trim grass

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057896607/1/#post107650375

Oh my god I honest to god didn't see your topic! Would have just posted in yours. Kind of scary that I put the exact same title.. Ha.
    Aww that's good that you were able to do that. Will be putting off the grass cutting for another week here I'd say!

Have just read the article previous poster posted - I hope it's not the case with these ladybirds killing off other ones ? I wouldn't have a clue. These ones are definitely less red and more orangey red.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Lucky you! I've had heaps of white and greenfly this year. I found one ladybird to help. I've actually looked for them out and about but no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

biology.ie are doing a study looking for people to log ladybird sightings

crustybla wrote: »
    Lucky you! I've had heaps of white and greenfly this year. I found one ladybird to help. I've actually looked for them out and about but no luck.

You can have some of mine ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

crustybla wrote: »

That's one more than I've managed to find, and we also have an overdose of aphids.

Advertisement