Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A5 TFSI 2009 and newer - non-existent in Ireland?

• 03-08-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

I've just been searching for a second hand Audi A5 TFSI but I've been struggling to find any petrol A5's from 2009 onwards. Is there any particular reason for this?

I see that there are a number in the UK, which is where I am now considering buying. Is there any disadvantage of importing an petrol A5 that I'm not aware of? I'm thinking that the apparent lack of availability will mean that either the value of the car will rise because of the rarity, or fall because they are not sought after. Just concerned about the resalability in the future.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed some light. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've an 08 1.8Tfsi A5 that I bought new and to be honest once the 2.0 tdi became available in 09, that pretty much finished the petrol sales.
    In 08, the only diesels were 2.7 and 3.0.
    The 1.8 Tfsi is in my opinion a better car if you don't need the diesel economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The main reason will be that the 2.0 diesel would have had less VRT and tax when new, better projected residuals and better mpg.

I might be thinking of a different engine, but didn’t that 1.8 engine have oil consumption issues?

The higher tax will most likely mean it won’t be worth as much as a diesel now or in the future. Regardless of what the gubberment might or might not do to new diesel cars down the line.

That’s putting aside the preference for petrol over diesel which you may have, which is important too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The main reason will be that the 2.0 diesel would have had less VRT and tax when new, better projected residuals and better mpg.

I might be thinking of a different engine, but didn’t that 1.8 engine have oil consumption issues?

Both - 1.8 T(F)SI and 2.0 T(F)SI had. The oil rings design was updated in early 2013 and since then they are very solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

mickdw wrote: »
    I've an 08 1.8Tfsi A5 that I bought new and to be honest once the 2.0 tdi became available in 09, that pretty much finished the petrol sales.
    The 1.8 Tfsi is in my opinion a better car if you don't need the diesel economy.

So once the 2.0 TDI came in they never even introduced the newer 1.8 TFSI to the market? I don't do enough mileage to warrant a diesel, so petrol all the way.

I haven't read anything about oil issues in any of my research so far, but I may just have not come across it yet.
    The higher tax will most likely mean it won’t be worth as much as a diesel now or in the future. Regardless of what the gubberment might or might not do to new diesel cars down the line.

That’s putting aside the preference for petrol over diesel which you may have, which is important too.

The current tax rate for the diesel is €200 whereas the petrol is €280, which isn't a huge amount higher and would doubt it would be a deal breaker for many. I would much prefer the petrol over the diesel, and with the public perception of diesel these days (warranted or not) I feel that petrol will come back into favour over diesel in a few years if I decide to sell... well that's the hope anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

VonLuck wrote: »
    I haven't read anything about oil issues in any of my research so far, but I may just have not come across it yet.

1l/1000km is not unusual with cars with less than 100kkm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

VonLuck wrote: »

So once the 2.0 TDI came in they never even introduced the newer 1.8 TFSI to the market? I don't do enough mileage to warrant a diesel, so petrol all the way.

The current tax rate for the diesel is €200 whereas the petrol is €280, which isn't a huge amount higher and would doubt it would be a deal breaker for many. I would much prefer the petrol over the diesel, and with the public perception of diesel these days (warranted or not) I feel that petrol will come back into favour over diesel in a few years if I decide to sell... well that's the hope anyway!
    An 09 petrol would be more than 280 to tax.
    My 08 has 169 co2. €570 tax. Was 430 back in 08 which was rather good as it was cheaper than on old system but it is gradually creeping.

An 09 petrol would be more than 280 to tax.
    My 08 has 169 co2. €570 tax. Was 430 back in 08 which was rather good as it was cheaper than on old system but it is gradually creeping.

Perhaps the older models have higher emissions but for instance, the 2011 1.8 TFSI has 134g/km which is in the 131-140 emissions band i.e. €280.

I've been looking at a 2012 Audi A5 1.8 TFSI Black Edition with about 150000km on the clock based in the UK and it's going for about £11000. All in with importing costs, it would set me back about €17000.

I'm finding it difficult to figure out if this is good or bad value as there is nothing to compare it against. Also depreciation is a bit tricky to estimate.

Anyone have any thoughts, or should I just stay away from the unknown?

bazz26 wrote: »

I always felt uncomfortable handing over such a large amount of money in a private sale, but as you say, no warranty either way. Could get a full check by a mechanic beforehand I guess? Although there's nothing tying me to the sale so they could go off and sell it to someone else after the inspection.

Do you think it would hold it's value in Ireland? I know you can get an 08 A5 for €9000 so I'm slightly concerned that I would lose about €8000 over the course over 4 years, assuming similar depreciation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

8k over 4 years is not that bad to be honest, depreciation is a fact of life and these cars have lost a hell of a lot more already from when they were brand new. Also your looking at cars that are 5 or 6 years old now, in 4 years time they will be 9/10 years old so depreciation should become less of a big deal by then as people won't pay huge money for cars of that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

2k a year would be good. I always use the rough rule a car loses half it's value in 3 years which is never a million miles away from truth. Some cars hold better than others depending on availability and desirability. There are exceptions though.

If you're looking at a 6 year old car then to gauge whether you are in the ballpark pricewise consider it should have halved in price in 3 years then halved again by 6 years old so 25% to 33% of new price would be acceptable. It should also be roughly twice the price of an 08/09 following same rule so I think somewhere in the 14k to 17k range is about right for something that must be a mid 50k car when new 6 years back. And yes, you will lose 8k or so on it in 3 to 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 knowkeya

Bolands in Waterford have a 2010 2.0 tfsi with only 32,000km for 13,000. Can't post a link as I'm a new user. Not the cheapest but seems like a decent car.

Advertisement