Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams for Montpellier vs PSG:
    Montpellier XI: Lecomte; Congre, Hilton, Pedro Mendes; Suarez, Le Tallec, Skhiri, Oyongo; Mollet; Laborde, Delort.

PSG XI: Buffon; Dagba, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Bernat; Dani Alves, Paredes; Di Maria, Draxler; Neymar, Choupo-Moting.

Mbappe out after his red card in the cup final. Let's see how PSG respond to their recent defeat. Neymar had a lot to say so will he lead by example? Montpellier need a win and Delort's in good form, while Mollet can cause problems. Hard to know what PSG will turn up but if they're focused they should win.

Game kicks off at 6pm on BT Sport Extra 2.

1-0 PSG. Montpellier's Oyongo turns in Bernat's cross into his own net.

1-1! Another O.G as Mollet's set-piece is turned in by Kimpembe - who also scored an O.G. against Rennes in the cup final. PSG really bad at defending set plays.

2-1 PSG. Lovely skill from Di Maria as he pirouettes around Lecomte to finish. He's been quiet but that was nicely done.

2-2! Delort equalises with ten minutes remaining. He went close earlier in this half.

3-2 Montpellier! Paris about to blow another lead?

Paredes nabbed in possession by Skhiri and sub Souleymane Camara finishes it. Four minutes remaining.

Full-Time and PSG notch up another defeat, their fourth of the season. Only 1 win in their last 5. They've really gone into a tailspin the last few months. I wonder does this put pressure on Tuchel? PSG just don't look a team atm and Paredes doesn't look up to this level.

Great result for Montpellier which moves them fifth ahead of Marseille and keeps their European hopes alive. Thought Skhiri, Delort, Mollet and Pedro Mendes were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Full-Time and PSG notch up another defeat, their fourth of the season. Only 1 win in their last 5. They've really gone into a tailspin the last few months. I wonder does this put pressure on Tuchel? PSG just don't look a team atm and Paredes doesn't look up to this level.

Who do you reckon they'll get if Tuchal goes? Jose at a few Ligue games recently but he'd be a backward step imo

• Advertisement

Who do you reckon they'll get if Tuchal goes? Jose at a few Ligue games recently but he'd be a backward step imo

I reckon Mourinho would be top of their list, and as you mentioned he's been at a few games this season so I think he'd be keen. I could see Conte being in their thoughts as well. I'd be surprised though if they got rid of him this season as the owner was calling him the best coach in the world only a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tuchel gone in the summer I'd imagine.

I said a few weeks ago I think Rafa would be ideal for PSG and I stick by that.

Rennes vs Monaco coming up at 6pm on BT Sport Extra 1. Big game for Monaco as they're just 3 points clear of the bottom three.
    Rennes XI: Koubek; Traore, Da Silva, Mexer, Bensebaini; Johansson, Lea Siliki; Bourigeaud, Camavinga, Del Castillo; Hunou.

Monaco XI: Sy; Sidibe, Jemerson, Badiashile, Ballo-Toure; Silva, Aholou; Martins, Golovin, Lopes; Falcao.

Interestingly Rennes are giving a first start to 16 year old Eduardo Camavinga. They're meant to be very excited by his talent so I'm interested to see how he does.

Miserable start for Monaco as Rennes go in front after 3 minutes, Hunou finishing Lea Siliki's cross.

Make that 2-0 in 8 minutes as Hunou gets another. Monaco in big trouble.

Half-Time: Rennes with a two goal lead at the break. The youngster Camavinga has done well. He doesn't look strong when you see his frame but he held his own. Calm on the ball as well. Monaco meanwhile have been very disappointing. Falcao doesn't look sharp. Lopes their best player so far.

2-1: Falcao with a nice header from Sidibe's cross. Little over twenty minutes remaining for Monaco to rescue this.

2-2: Falcao equalises after poor defending from Johansson and then poor goalkeeping from Koubek.

Full-Time: Monaco rescue a point which could turn out to be very useful. Camavinga got a little over an hour under his belt and did well. The Monaco rescue act happened after he'd been subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/sidlowe/status/1124048806251835396?s=19

This story I stay seeing on Twitter today. Not sure if there is any truth behind it.

• Advertisement

I saw Get French Football News reporting that earlier. Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I saw Get French Football News reporting that earlier. Very interesting.

Stats like these don't help; considering how poor some teams are right now

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1123521721162706944?s=19

Looks like Marseille's European hopes are over after only managing a 1-1 draw away to Strasbourg. Germain and Lala with the goals. Could have been even worse as Mandanda had to save a pen. Saw this stat which sums up how hopeless they've been defensively:

https://twitter.com/OptaJean/status/1124408078621990913

Things looking grim for them. I imagine Garcia will be let go and they'll seek a new coach. Thauvin will surely attract a lot of interest in the summer and wouldn't be surprised if he looks to leave. Payet has had a poor season and isn't getting any younger. Mandanda needs replacing as well I think. Funnily enough Balotelli has been their biggest positive the last few months.

I'd love to see someone like Rafa Benitez go there and attempt to turn them around.

PSG drop more points. A 1-1 draw at home to Nice. Cavani had his penalty saved in stoppage time by Walter Benitez. Earlier in the game a Neymar pen had levelled it up after Ganago had puts Nice ahead.

Not looking good for Tuchel.

All Saturday's results:
    PSG 1-1 Nice
    Bordeaux 0-1 Angers
    Guingamp 0-0 Caen
    Reims 0-3 Nimes

Bad result for Guingamp in a crucial game. They're now 8 points adrift of safety with 3 games remaining, and 5 points off the relegation play-off spot. Hard to see a way back for them. Caen on the other hand stay in the play-off spot but if Dijon beat Nantes tomorrow they'll slip to 19th.

Nimes overtake Reims for 8th spot after their impressive win. Angers win at Bordeaux thanks to Stephane Bahoken's 11th goal of the season.

Televised games tomorrow are Toulouse vs Rennes from 2pm; Monaco vs Saint-Etienne from 4pm, which has implications for the relegation scrap and the battle for Champions League places; and the evening game of Lille vs Lyon from 8pm - this one should be a cracker. A Lille win all but confirms second place and the automatic entry into the CL group stages, whilst also potentially seeing Lyon fall out of the final CL spot. But a Lyon win makes the battle for second place very much up for grabs in the final three games.

Big pressure on Lyon to get at least a point at home to Lille to take back the final CL spot from St Etienne, who beat Monaco 3-2 earlier. Monaco still not out of the woods and are only 3 points above 18th.

Amiens gave their survival hopes a boost with a 1-1 draw away to Montpellier. Dijon remain in trouble in 19th after being well beaten 3-0 by Nantes. Toulouse and Rennes played out a 2-2 draw, so Toulouse should be safe for another year.

Teams for Lyon vs Lille:
    Lyon XI Lopes; Dubois, Denayer, Marcelo, Mendy; Ndombele, Aouar; Traore, Fekir, Terrier; Depay.

Lille XI: Maignan; Celik, Jose Fonte, Gabriel, Kone; Thiago Maia, Soumare; Pepe, Ikone, Bamba; Remy.

Really looking forward to this game. Some of the best players in the league involved. Lille have a good record in this fixture but Thiago Mendes and Xeka are out which I think could be a difference maker. I'll go for a narrow home win because of that.

Particularly interested in the young Lille CB Gabriel who has looked very good the last few weeks. He should face a strong test tonight. Game is on BT Sport 2 from 8pm.

1-0 Lyon. Terrier scores against his old side as his strike takes a slight deflection off Gabriel. All came from Ikone giving the ball away cheaply. Depay good in the build-up.

Half-Time and Lyon lead by a goal. Fun game with both sides going for it. Remy's been poor for Lille though he forced Lopes into a decent save with a header in the final seconds. Pepe and Bamba looking good. Gabriel has struggled up against Traore. Fekir looks in the mood as does Depay. I'd like to see Lille bring in Leao for Remy at some stage.

1-1. Denayer has a swing and a miss moment that allows Remy to score from close range. A gift for Lille. Game on now.

Oh dear. Lille have made it 2-1 via Pepe's cross that Soumare turns in. Poor defending again, this time from Dubois.

Lyon need to find an equaliser in the final 20 mins or they'll drop out of the CL places.

2-2! And it's Dubois who was at fault for the second Lille goal who scores after Gabriel had brilliantly cleared off the line.

Big last 15 minutes coming up.

Full-Time and it ends 2-2. It was a good game and Lille will be the happier of the two as they stay 6 points clear in second place. Lyon stay in the final CL spot, but just a point above rivals St Etienne. Here are the remaining fixtures for both sides:

Lyon

Marseille (A)
    Caen (H)
    Nimes (A)

St Etienne

Montpellier (H)
    Nice (H)
    Angers (A)

Fairly similar run-in with St Etienne looking like they have it slightly harder, although they do have two home games. Looks like this one could go to the wire. Might even come down to goal difference. If Lyon can beat Marseille I think they'll get over the line. That one will be a massive game and Marseille would love to get revenge on them seeing as they narrowly missed out on the Champions League last season to Lyon. That's the late evening game next Sunday.

• Advertisement

Big game for the CL places coming up from 7:45 on BT Sport Extra 2 as Saint-Etienne host Montpellier. A win for the home side sees them take the last spot temporarily and put pressure on Lyon ahead of a tricky game on Sunday away to Marseille. Shouldn't be easy though as Montpellier are just one place behind their opponents in the table. Team news:
    Saint-Etienne XI: Ruffier; Debuchy, Saliba, Perrin, Polomat; Ait Benasser, M'Vila; Nordin, Cabella, Khazri; Beric.

Montpellier XI: Lecomte; Mendes, Hilton, Congre; Suarez, Skhiri, Le Tellec, Oyongo; Mollet; Laborde, Delort.

I can see this being a tight game and a draw wouldn't surprise me. Cabella and Mollet are two of the in-form creative talents in the league. Delort and Khazri have had good seasons. Keen to see how the young St Etienne Saliba does as he's been linked to some big clubs.

Half-Time: 0-0 at the break. Not a whole lot of chances but Montpellier with the better ones. Ruffier's had to make a good stop from Mollet. Ait Benasser's looked good in midfield for the hosts.

Daniel Congre given a straight red for Montpellier for a foul after ref consults VAR. Commentator doesn't think it was a red but I think the ref got it right. His teammate Skhiri lucky to be on the pitch after getting in the ref's face and sarcastically applauding. Getting very feisty out there with loads of cards being shown. Goof chance for St Etienne now to go on and get the win if they keep their head.

Update: Well the man advantage is gone as Remy Cabella is given a second yellow. He's in tears as he leaves the field. Looks a fair decision.

1-0! And immediately Montpellier take the lead through Laborde's strike! Talk about a massive swing in a game.

Full-Time and Montpellier edge it 1-0. Hammer blow to St Etienne's hopes and a great boost for Lyon. Now means even if Lyon lose to Marseille on Sunday they'll still be a point clear in the last CL place. If they can win the Sunday game they'll go 4 points clear of St Etienne, with Caen and Nimes to come. It's Lyon's place to lose now. Surely not even Lyon can mess this up.

In other news, Brest have tonight secured promotion to Ligue 1 joining already promoted Metz.

Surprised Monaco haven't been able to secure safety by now. The loss to Nimes, plus Caen, Dijon and Amiens picking up points, means they're in big trouble.

Guingamp play Rennes shortly and if they lose they are officially the first team relegated.

Guingamp relegated in dramatic fashion. They were losing 1-0 but Rennes went down to ten men in the final ten minutes, Guingamp got an equaliser, and then Guingamp won a pen in the final moments that if scored would have kept them alive to fight another day. Unfortunately Marcus Thuram, son of France legend Lilian, has it saved by Koubek. That's going to be tough to get over.

Lille have all but secured 2nd spot and automatic entry into the group stages of the Champions League after beating Bordeaux 1-0. Brilliant achievement for Christophe Galtier and his side. Wonder how much of the team they'll be able to keep together.

Big evening game coming up on BT Sport 1 from 8pm as Marseille host Lyon. If the away side can win they'll go 4 points clear of St Etienne in the final CL spot.
    Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sakai, Caleta-Car, Kamara, Amavi; Strootman, Lopez, Luiz Gustavo; Radonjic, Balotelli, Ocampos.

Lyon XI: Lopes; Dubois, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Ndombele, Aouar; Cornet, Fekir, Terrier; Depay.

Thauvin, Payet and Sanson on the bench for the home side. Big game for Radonjic to step up in their absence.

These games can be quite feisty. Lyon have won the last 3 meetings and this fixture last season ended 3-2 to Lyon. Wouldn't mind another five goal thriller. I'll go for a Lyon win by a goal.

Cornet makes it 1-0 Lyon. Big goal. Kamara shrugged aside before the strike. Not good defending from the youngster.

Update: Caleta-Car has got himself sent off for fouling Terrier as last man. He was dismissed in the reverse fixture as well. Little over twenty minutes to go. Lyon should see this out now.

Goal: Dembele on as sub makes it 2-0 with a lovely curling effort and surely seals the win for Lyon. Nice ball by Ndombele.

3-0: No doubt about the result now as Cornet adds a second after a great break. This time Aouar with the great pass.

Full-Time and Lyon beat Marseille 3-0 to take control of the final CL place. It means next week if they beat Caen - who are struggling to stay up - then they are guaranteed the spot.

Cornet, Aouar and Ndombele were very good for Lyon. Lopes made some good saves when required as well. Marseille very poor and the players were booed off at the end.

Penultimate games of the season tonight from 8pm with all sides in action. BT Sport showing Lyon vs Caen and St Etienne vs Nice. I'll watch the former as a Lyon win guarantees Champions League football for the home side, whereas 18th-place Caen are desperate for anything from the game. Teams:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Dubois, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Ndombele, Aouar; Cornet, Depay, Terrier; Dembele.

Caen XI: Samba; Guilbert, Zahary, Gradit, Djiku, Imorou; Khaoui, Deminguet, Fajr, Ninga; Crivelli.

Fekir injured but I like the Lyon line-up. Pleased to see Dembele starting, while Cornet and Terrier are in good form. Ndombele and Aouar have been impressive. As for Caen, Ninga and Fajr can cause problems and Crivelli on his day can be a handful. I like the Caen keeper Brice Samba and he'll have his work cut out for him today. I'll go for a Lyon win by two goals.

Monaco in 17th vs Amiens in 16th is another big one to keep an eye on tonight.

• Advertisement

Dembele with a great chance to give Lyon the lead from the penalty spot but Brice Samba saves it. Didn't think it was a penalty to begin with so I'd say justice was done.

St Etienne meanwhile have taken the lead against Nice. As it stands Lyon still have the final CL spot but with their lead over St Etienne cut to 2 points ahead of the final round of games.

Half-Time scores:
    Bordeaux 0-1 Reims
    Guingamp 2-0 Nimes
    Lille 2-0 Angers
    Lyon 0-0 Caen
    Monaco 1-0 Amiens
    Montpellier 0-1 Nantes
    PSG 3-0 Dijon
    St-Etienne 1-0 Nice
    Strasbourg 0-1 Rennes
    Toulouse 1-1 Marseille

Goals in all of the games except the one I'm watching. :pac:

Lyon had the chances to make the breakthrough but Samba has kept his side in it with his saves. Caen also had opportunities with Lopes making a brilliant fingertip save from Fajr.

Big goal from Falcao for Monaco against Amiens in the battle of the struggling sides. Would be a huge result if Jardim's side can see out the win.

19th place Dijon not going to get anything as they're on the way to a hiding against PSG. Guingamp winning well but it's academic as they're already relegated.

Update: Big goal in Lyon as Depay scores from Cornet's cross. Dembele showed great strength in the build up to the goal.

And now it's 2-0 to Lyon as Cornet finishes from close range after Terrier had hit the post. Looks like Lyon are heading back into the Champions League. Caen potentially heading for the relegation/promotion play-off.

3-0 Lyon: That settles it. Aouar sets up Dembele and he finishes well with his left. He's been very good despite the penalty miss.

4-0 Lyon: Superb counter-attacking goal from Lyon. Aouar to Cornet to Depay who scores. Quality play.

Goals galore across Ligue 1 tonight. 34 of them in total. Full-Time scores:
    Bordeaux 0-1 Reims
    Guingamp 2-2 Nimes
    Lille 5-0 Angers
    Lyon 4-0 Caen
    Monaco 2-0 Amiens
    Montpellier 1-1 Nantes
    PSG 4-0 Dijon
    St-Etienne 3-0 Nice
    Strasbourg 0-2 Rennes
    Toulouse 2-5 Marseille

Lyon have secured the final Champions League spot as they're 4 points clear of rivals St Etienne with just a game to go. Very impressive performance from them tonight in what was Genesio's final home game in charge. He's leaving them in good nick. St Etienne have to settle for the Europa League.

Lille with a great win in their final home game of the season. Nicolas Pepe with two goals in what is surely his final home appearance before a big move.

Mbappe has gone up to 32 goals with a brace in PSG's win.

Monaco with a big result that leaves them looking good to survive due to their goal difference, providing they don't get spanked by Nice in their final game, and as long as their rivals don't go goal-crazy. Here's how the bottom 5 teams shape up heading into the final round:
    16. Monaco / -17 GD / 36 pts
    17. Amiens / -22 GD / 35 pts
    18. Caen / -24 GD / 33 pts
    19. Dijon / -30 GD / 31 pts
    20. Guingamp / -39 GD / 27 pts (R)

Dijon can't get out of the bottom three but they could make the relegation/promotion play-off spot if they finish 18th.

Monaco as mentioned are away to Nice; Amiens are home to Guingamp; Caen are home to Bordeaux; and Dijon are home to Toulouse.

Those games are all winnable so it should be interesting. The final round of games will take place on Friday from 8pm.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1129867182228299777

So former Arsenal and City player Sylvinho is to be the new Lyon coach. I find this a strange and underwhelming appointment after some of the high-profile names that were being linked, and he doesn't have much of a managerial record so far. If they were going with an up and coming coach I would have liked to see Rennes' Julien Stephan be given a go.

Also being reported Rudi Garcia's time at Marseille is shortly coming to an end which wouldn't be a surprise after their season. More surprising is that St Etienne coach Jean-Louis Gasset is supposedly going to resign due to a conflict with the board and a desire to be closer to his family in Montpellier. He's done a brilliant job with them. Could he end up at Marseille I wonder?

Final round of Ligue 1 about to kick off at 8:05pm and the focus is on the teams trying to avoid the drop.
    16. Monaco / -17 GD / 36 pts
    17. Amiens / -22 GD / 35 pts
    18. Caen / -24 GD / 33 pts
    19. Dijon / -30 GD / 31 pts
    20. Guingamp / -39 GD / 27 pts (R)

BT Sport 1 showing Amiens vs Guingamp; BT Sport 2 showing Caen vs Bordeaux; BT Sport Extra 1 showing Nice vs Monaco.

Going to give Caen vs Bordeaux a watch.

The team that finishes 18th will face RC Lens in the relegation/promotion play-off after they beat Troyes 2-1 earlier.

Drama here as Caen 1-0 down to Bordeaux. Sankhare with the leader.

Amiens are leading Guingamp as well so Amiens looking okay.

Caen sweating big time. If Dijon can beat Toulouse, Caen will be relegated - still goalless in that game at the moment.

Update: Better news for Caen as Dijon have fallen a goal behind to Toulouse. Diakite with the goal.

• Advertisement

Half-Time scores:
    Amiens 1-0 Guingamp
    Angers 0-0 Saint-Etienne
    Caen 0-1 Bordeaux
    Dijon 0-1 Toulouse
    Marseille 0-0 Montpellier
    Nantes 0-0 Strasbourg
    Nice 1-0 Monaco
    Nimes 2-1 Lyon
    Reims 1-0 PSG
    Rennes 1-1 Lille

As it stands, Dijon will be relegated alongside Guingamp unless they can turn it around and win against Toulouse. Caen heading into the relegation/promotion play-off. Monaco are going to crawl over the line despite currently losing to Nice thanks to a Badiashile O.G.

Elsewhere Nimes have come from 1-0 down to lead Lyon 2-1 while Reims are beating PSG after Baba beats Buffon from a very tight angle. Looked like bad keeping from Buffon letting it under his legs. He surely can't be their number one next season.

Update: Dijon have equalised through Sliti so Caen having to sweat once again. Amiens now leading 2-0 so looks like they're safe. PSG had gone 2-0 down away to Reims - Buffon again not doing well with the strike - but Mbappe has bagged himself another goal to make it 2-1.

Massive goal as Dijon have taken the lead against Toulouse. Now as it stands Dijon are going into the play-off spot and Caen are going down.

A Caen equaliser against Bordeaux would see Dijon slip back into the relegation zone. 25 minutes to go.

The whistle blows and Caen have been relegated alongside Guingamp. Dijon live to fight another day after successfully turning it around to beat Toulouse; they will now take on Lens in the relegation/promotion play-off.

The Caen fans jeer at the final whistle and it's understandable as they went down with a whimper really. I feel for keeper Brice Samba who made a big save near the end and who did more than any player to give them a fighting chance this season. I think he deserves a move to a bigger club in the summer.

Full-Time scores of the final round of matches:
    Amiens 2-1 Guingamp
    Angers 1-1 Saint-Etienne
    Caen 0-1 Bordeaux
    Dijon 2-1 Toulouse
    Marseille 1-0 Montpellier
    Nantes 0-1 Strasbourg
    Nice 2-0 Monaco
    Nimes 2-3 Lyon
    Reims 3-1 PSG
    Rennes 3-1 Lille

Eventful day with goals in all of the matches.

Amiens started the day in 17th but finish 15th with their win. Monaco ultimately stagger over the line in 17th with another poor showing. The Jardim return didn't transform the side the way many expected but at least they survive. Nice finish 7th in Vieira's first season at the club. I think overall he did well.

PSG suffer another defeat and they've won just 3 games in their last 10. Their winning margin at the top ends up as 16 points. Will Tuchel be there next season after their form the last few months?

Bruno Genesio is definitely moving on from Lyon and he ends the season with a great win. Nimes were winning 2-1 heading into the final minute but Cornet grabbed his second of the game, and Ndombele found a late winner. That might be Ndombele's last game in a Lyon jersey. What a player he has been.

Mario Balotelli may also be moving on, and if so he does in sorry fashion as he was given a red card for a rash challenge. Marseille finish fifth which is a surprise given how erratic they've been this season. Might well be Rudi Garcia's last game in charge if reports are to be believed.

Second-place Lille's great season ends in defeat to Rennes who claim a top ten finish. M'Baye Niang with a belter of a goal to make it 3-1. Ismaila Sarr also got on the scoresheet and I reckon he'd be a solid replacement for Nicolas Pepe if/when he moves on in the summer.

Strasbourg leapfrog Nantes into 11th place with their narrow win. Departing coach Jean-Louis Gasset leaves 4th-place St Etienne with a draw away at Angers. He'll be a tough act to follow.

This is how it ended up:

Champions: PSG
    Champions League: Lille and Lyon (for Lyon to go directly into the group stage they need Chelsea to beat Arsenal in the Europa League final.)
    Europa League: St Etienne (joined by Rennes in the group stage after they beat PSG in the French Cup final; Strasbourg enter the second qualifying round after beating Guingamp in the Coupe de la Ligue final)
    Relegation: Guingamp and Caen
    Relegation/promotion play-off: Dijon - will now face Lens

Think it was an entertaining campaign. The lack of a title race was the obvious disappointment and it's a pity the likes of Monaco, Lyon and Marseille couldn't kick on from last season as the race could and probably should have been closer than it ended up being. The cup competitions provided some lovely surprises at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Where do Monaco go from here? Terrible terrible season for them

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/OM_English/status/1133373389819842561

So AVB is taking over at Marseille. Good to see him back in European football but looks a risky appointment to me. I think Marseille would have been better going for a coach within the league already.

Seeing rumours today that Milan are considering Lille manager Christophe Galtier as new coach. Leonardo is leaving the sporting director role and is being replaced by Lille's sporting director Luis Campos, so there would be that connection there. Leonardo Jardim also in the frame.

French top 5 is going to be interesting on the managerial front next season:

PSG - Tuchel has signed a new contract but finished the season poorly. Needs to start off strong.
    Lille - Will Galtier be there for next season? If they lose him, who comes in?
    Lyon - Genesio has left. Sylvinho is the new coach. Looks a risky appointment given its his first role as main man.
    St Etienne - Gasset has left. New coach to be determined.
    Marseille - Garcia has left. AVB is the new coach. Also looks a gamble.

Then there's the wildcard situation of Monaco. Will Jardim stick around? Can they mount a comeback after their nightmare season?

Did a Team of the Half Season back in January and decided to do a Team of the Season overall. Going to stick with the 4-3-3 formation.

Goalkeeper: This was one of the trickier positions to fill as I think it's been a very good season for keepers. I decided to give the nod to Nice's Walter Benitez. He started the season on the bench and missed the first 3 games as Patrick Vieira went with Yoann Cardinale in goal, but after a 4-0 home loss to Dijon Benitez was given his chance away to Lyon and was superb, helping seal Vieira's first win. He never looked back since. I was disappointed he didn't make the recent Argentina squad as I think he merited a spot. Honourable mentions to Lille's Mike Maignan, Reims' Edouard Mendy and Lyon's Anthony Lopes.

Right-back: Earlier in the season I was torn between Nice's Youcef Atal and Strasbourg's Kenny Lala. I went for Atal earlier in the season but overall I'm giving the nod to Kenny Lala. He was great going forward, providing 9 assists, the 4th highest in the league and level with Memphis Depay, and he stood out in games with the strongest sides in the division. I could see him having a similar impact to Matt Doherty if he were to be picked up by a Premier League side. Atal had a strong season as well but at times played further up the pitch so for that reason Lala gets the nod. I thought Lille's RB Mehmet Zeki Celik had a good campaign too.

Centre-backs: Going for a PSG double up here. Thiago Silva is a cert and was for me the standout defender of the season and Paris looked very vulnerable when he wasn't around. Don't think it's a coincidence that the hammering to Lille happened after he was forced to leave the field with an injury. Going with his partner Marquinhos alongside him. I didn't consider him in my team of the half-season as he tended to play in a holding midfield role but after Paredes was signed he tended to drop to his regular role. He was generally very assured at the back and he and Silva looked much better than Kehrer and Kimpembe. Other defenders in my thoughts were Lille's Jose Fonte who was a great leader for their young team. I thought Lyon's Jason Denayer had a strong first season but he seemed to dip in the last few months and made some mistakes. The youngsters Gabriel and William Saliba came in and did very well for Lille and St Etienne respectively so I'm keen to see how they fare next season, assuming they're not snapped up by other clubs.

Left-back: There were two names I had in mind for this spot and in the end I've given it by a whisker to Lyon's Ferland Mendy. I don't think his second half of the season was as good as his first but considering his performances not just domestically but in Europe I think he earns it. The other guy I had in mind was St Etienne's Timothee Kolodziejczak who actually contributed to more goals than Mendy, albeit having played more games. I thought he was very good going forward and had good deliveries with his crosses.

Right Central Midfield: One of my favourite players, Tanguy Ndombele, keeps the spot. He was excellent once again for Lyon, particularly in the Champions League, and has put himself firmly into many top club's thoughts. He and Aouar formed a great partnership in the close of the season as Lyon secured Champions League football and in perhaps his last game for the club he scored a stoppage time winner to help Lyon beat Nimes 3-2.

Defensive Midfield: The standout player in this position for me was Thiago Mendes. He provided good protection for the defence and contributed to Lille's strong attack as well. He's been linked with some big clubs and if he does leave he'll be a big loss for Lille. I think PSG should have gone for him in January rather than Paredes.

Left Central Midfield: I felt I had to include Nimes' Teji Savanier after an outstanding season that saw him top the assists chart with 12, beating out Nicolas Pepe and Angel Di Maria. His creativity from deep and set-piece threat have been a big help to Nimes and it's likely there will be some bids in the summer, with Montpellier said to be interested. Other names that are unfortunate to miss out are Lyon's Houssem Aouar who had another fine season, and PSG's Marco Verratti, who was the champion's best central midfielder.

Forward (Right): This call is as easy as it was in January: Nicolas Pepe makes the side after a stunning season. 22 goals and 11 assists, including stepping up against the best sides in the division. He's ready for his big move.

Centre-Forward: Again, an easy one. Kylian Mbappe makes the team after scoring 33 goals which hadn't been done by a Frenchman in the top flight in 50 years. Looks ready to be the main man at PSG.

Forward (Left): This one isn't quite the slam dunk call of the previous two but I'm going for Neymar. Despite his injury and suspension woes he still notched up 15 goals and 7 assists, and performed very well in big games with Lyon and Lille. I'd like to see him take on more of a leadership role next season and push himself more. Seems to be in a comfort zone atm. He showed against Liverpool in Paris what he can do when he's got that fire in his belly. My team:

Benitez (Nice)

---Lala (Strasbourg)---Marquinhos (PSG)---Silva (PSG)
    Mendy (Lyon)--

Mendes (Lille)

Ndombele (Lyon)
    Savanier (Nimes)

Pepe (Lille)
    Mbappe (PSG)
    Neymar (PSG)

Manager of the Season: Christophe Galtier

Has to be him after taking over a Lille side that were struggling to stay up, and taking them into the Champions League with exciting football, plus inflicting the worst defeat on PSG in nearly 20 years. Think St Etienne's Jean-Louis Gasset, Rennes' Julien Stephan and Reims' David Guion had great campaigns as well.

Player of the Season: Kylian Mbappe

Has to be him as he scored some crucial goals for Paris in the early part of the season, then there was scoring 4 goals in 15 minutes against Lyon, coming off the bench against Marseille for the last 30 minutes at 0-0 to open the scoring, and so on. He looks to be getting better and better. I think Nicolas Pepe runs him pretty close though.

Disappointment of the Season: Monaco.

Monaco did the reverse of Lille, going from second place and Champions League football to a relegation scrap. They just about crawled over the line and it's hard to know how they can get back into the European mix.

Most looking forward to next season: I'm interested to see if Lyon and Marseille's managerial appointments work out. Their fanbase aren't known for showing a great deal of patience, so things could turn sour very quickly if there is not an immediate impact. Also wondering if Lille can balance Champions League and domestic football or will it prove too much. PSG should dominate the league but curious to learn if Tuchel can get them further on the European front. His signings haven't been impressive so far so there's a lot riding on the summer arrivals.

First leg of the Relegation/Promotion Play-off kicks off shortly at 7:45pm on BT Sport 1 as Lens host Dijon. Team news:
    RC Lens XI: Vachoux - Duverne, Tahrat, Fortes - Centonze, Doucoure, Gillet, Haidara - Bellegarde - Gomis, Ambrose.

Dijon XI: Runarsson - Alphonse, Coulibaly, Yambere, Lautoa, Chafik - Balmont, Marie - Sliti - Jeannot, Said.

Yannick Gomis is Lens' big threat with 16 goals in Ligue 2 this season.

Dijon meanwhile are missing their top scorer Julio Tavares through injury. Naim Sliti is dangerous and Wesley Said finished the season in solid form.

Half-Time: 0-0 after the first 45. Both sides with chances but a lack of quality in the final third. Atmosphere is great. Lens would be good for Ligue 1 in that respect.

Lens take the lead 5 minutes into the second half through Bellegarde after a great counter-attack.

Kwon Chang-hooooooooonnnnnnnnnn.

1-1 now after the South Korean dinks it over the keeper after Wesley Said's pass. Took a very awkward fall in the process, landing right on his head. Delighted for him after his injury woes last season. Think Dijon deserve it as I thought Said should have had a penalty before that.

Full-Time: First leg ends 1-1. Away goals count, so the advantage is with Dijon as it stands. Second leg is on Sunday evening.

Think Dijon will be pretty happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

I just got to see the 2nd half last night, decent entertainment that. Lens always seem like one of these clubs that looks out of place in the second tier - big ground, big following, historically just a big name associated with the top division (I know, I know, Leeds, Villa, Forest etc..). I'm hoping they come up.

Neymar is facing a rape allegation.

https://twitter.com/Jon_LeGossip/status/1134924442398810113

Reportedly the accuser is a Brazilian woman that Neymar invited to France, providing lodging. She alleges he had sex with her against her will and the report was filed in Brazil as she was afraid to file the complaint in another country.

Update: He's come out fighting by revealing the messages between the two after he alleges they had sex. Does seem to back up his claims.

Second leg of the Ligue 1 Relegation/Promotion play-off is at 8pm as we discover which team will be the 20th side in the league next season. It's 1-1 in the tie with away goals in play. Game's on BT Sport.
    Dijon XI: Runarsson - Alphonse, Yambere, Coulibaly, Haddadi - Balmont, Amalfitano, Lautoa - Said, Kaba, Sliti.

Lens XI: Vachoux - Duverne, Tahrat, Fortes, Mendy - Bellegarde, Doucoure, Gillet - Ambrose, Gomis, Chouiar.

Blow for Dijon with Kwon Chang-hoon out injured, although he did take a very bad landing in getting the goal. Top scorer Tavares still out as well. Could be a close game but Lens will need to offer more in attack than in the first leg. I'll say Dijon to edge it.

1-0 Dijon. Lovely solo goal from Naim Sliti. Hasn't been a great game before this moment of quality so hopefully this livens it up a bit.

Lens equalise! Duverne with a header from a lovely cross by Bellegarde.

It will go to Extra-Time if it stays like this. Long way to go, though.

Half-Time: 1-1 at the break. All to play for as it stands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement