Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

1-0 Lyon. Marcelo with a lovely pass that lets Dembele get in behind and slot it past Bernardoni. Lyon haven't been at their best and Nimes have had the better chances prior to that.

Half-Time: Lyon lead by a goal at the break. Nimes have done well and Thioub is causing problems down the right. Savanier impressive too. I expected more from Lyon. Mendy's been good at RB. Depay's had some good moments. Terrier's been quiet. I'd expect to see Traore come on at the hour mark if nothing changes.

DEPAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY

He shows good composure in the box to make it 2-0. That should settle the result.

Full-Time: It ends 2-0 to Lyon. Not a great performance from the home side but they got the win. Nimes played well. Savanier and Thioub the standout performers but they lacked a cutting edge up top. Depres missed two good chances and was later taken off. Mendy was the best player for Lyon I'd say. He showed he can attack well down the right flank and put some good crosses in with his weaker foot. Marcelo and Denayer did well in defence too.

Live game tomorrow evening is Strasbourg vs Monaco as Thierry Henry makes his managerial debut. Game is at 7pm on BT Sport Extra 3.

Monaco a goal down to Strasbourg inside 20 minutes of Henry's first game in charge. Dreadful goalkeeping howler from Sy.

This is turning into a nightmare start for Henry. Goalkeeping howler leads to Strasbourg's goal, his captain Falcao went off injured in the first half, and now two minutes after sending Grandsir on as a sub he gets himself sent off for dangerous play.

A little over 20 minutes to go.

Update: 2-0 Strasbourg. Lovely goal as Da Costa puts a great ball through for sub Mothiba who dinks it over Sy. Surely game over. Five minutes of normal time remaining.

Update II: Peno to Monaco with a few minutes to go. Maybe it's not all over. Ref checked VAR and all but I don't think it was a pen. Sylla was said to have been tripped but I thought he lost his footing. And Tielemans scores to make it 2-1.

Full-Time: It ends 2-1 to Strasbourg. Nothing went right for Monaco tonight. Hard to read too much into it as Henry got some tough breaks this evening. I thought Strasbourg were very good with Lala and da Costa playing well. Mothiba did good when he came on too. Suppose the main positive for Monaco was Almamy Toure doing well at the back.

All Saturday's results:
    PSG 5-0 Amiens
    Caen 0-0 Guingamp
    Dijon 1-2 Lille
    Nantes 4-0 Toulouse
    Reims 1-1 Angers
    Strasbourg 2-1 Monaco

The results this evening leave Monaco in 19th place, ahead of Guingamp only on goal difference. Amazing.

Nicolas Pepe contributed another goal from the penalty spot as Lille's win keeps them second, 8 points off PSG who are yet to drop points. Decent result for Reims against Angers, while Nantes have moved ahead of Monaco with their win. Sala got a hat-trick for them.

Live games tomorrow are Montpellier vs Bordeaux, Saint-Etienne vs Rennes and Nice vs Marseille.

• Advertisement

Montpellier beat Bordeaux 2-0 to go third, while Saint-Etienne and Rennes played out a 1-1 draw. I didn't see the early game but caught the latter one. Ben Arfa could have won it for Rennes with a penalty but it was poor as he hit it wide. Khazri scored a pen for St Etienne and went close late on, while Sarr scored a nice low shot for Rennes. I'm a fan of both those guys.

Nice vs Marseille is the evening game from 8pm on BT Sport 1. Teams are in:
    Nice XI: Benitez; Herelle, Dante, Sarr; Atal, Cyprien, Tameze, Boscagli; Saint-Maximin, Balotelli, Maolida.

Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sarr, Rami, Kamara, Amavi; Sanson, Strootman, Lopez; Payet, Radonjic, Germain.

Exciting front three for Nice. Just a question of how fit Balotelli is after all the talk about him being out of shape. Marseille are missing Thauvin through injury, while Gustavo and Ocampos are suspended. Those are big players and Marseille's away record isn't good at all.

Have a feeling Nice could edge this one.

1-0 Marseille. Sanson with a nice low finish after Sarr's cut-back. Nice have had the better chances but Marseille have scored with their first shot on target.

Update: It ends 1-0 Marseille. I try to defend Balotelli but he was poor tonight. Nice had more of the ball but didn't offer enough in the last third. Marseille defended well and Strootman had a very good game. Rami and Kamara did well in defence too. Impressive result for Marseille considering their absentees.

Nimes and Saint-Etienne drew 1-1 tonight in a good game. Decent result for the home side who gave a good account of themselves. Saint-Etienne could have won it late on when Cabella tried to lob the keeper but it was saved, while Khazri did well to set up Salibur but he blazed over.

Monaco vs Dijon is the live game tomorrow at 7pm as Thierry Henry looks for his first win. If Guingamp beat Strasbourg and Monaco don't win then they will be bottom of the table. And Henry is missing loads of players through injury and suspension: Falcao, Jovetic, Sidibe, Lopes, Subasic, Benaglio, N'Doram, Geubbels, Pellegri, Grandsir, Raggi and Toure. Dijon, though, are on a 4 game losing streak. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

This guy Mr.Nice Guy needs this thread named after him cause he puts Ligue 1 on his back with this thread. Thanks for the diligence and updates pal, it's appreciated <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Mbappé had about five touches of the ball before scoring last night, his fifth touch being the shot :D
    Other than that he did little else. Not that exciting of a game but a good watch nevertheless, probably could've been more if Neymar, and to a lesser extent Di Maria, hadn't tried to continuously walk the ball into the net. Back 3 were solid, Marseille's best attempts were limited to dead ball really.
    I watch a bit of Ligue 1 so I'll try to contribute here a bit more.

• Advertisement

Couldn't log in over the weekend but these were the results:
    Nimes 1-1 Saint-Etienne
    Angers 1-2 Lyon
    Amiens 1-2 Nantes
    Guingamp 1-1 Strasbourg
    Lille 1-0 Caen
    Monaco 2-2 Dijon
    Toulouse 0-3 Montpellier
    Rennes 0-2 Reims
    Bordeaux 0-1 Nice
    Marseille 0-2 PSG

I thought Marseille coped well with PSG for the most part without offering much in attack. Strootman did particularly well but Mbappe's introduction made the difference. Apparently he and Rabiot had been benched for turning up to a team meeting late.

I was impressed with Rafael Leao who got Lille's winner. He made his first start of the season and the front four of him, Pepe, Ikone and Bamba are so good to watch with Pepe the outstanding one of the four. They play PSG this Friday in a 1st vs 2nd clash. Very keen to see how the attackers get on. Lille are involved in the League Cup tomorrow vs Strasbourg which is on TV and I'm just hoping there's no injuries before the PSG match.

Depay was excellent again for Lyon as he was only on for the last 35 minutes and he provided an assist and got the winner. Reports suggest he's not happy about being benched for the game and I get the feeling he's angling for a move away in the summer. Lyon are now fourth.

Montpellier continue to do well and are still in third place. Laborde and Delort are a big threat in attack at the minute. Starting to see why Gus Poyet had that meltdown over Bordeaux selling Laborde against his wishes.

Another disappointing result for Monaco. The fact they couldn't beat Dijon whose form was awful sums up their own sorry state. They're away to Reims next and should be looking to win but the way things are at the minute it's anyone's guess. I'd say Henry would gladly take an ugly win.

This is the best start to a Ligue 1 campaign from PSG according to TransferMarkt

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ligue-1/saisonstarts/wettbewerb/FR1

Very excited for PSG vs Lille later.

PSG dealing with some very serious accusations though that have been leaked today.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1058406869734170627

Teams are in for the 1st vs 2nd clash of PSG vs Lille.
    PSG XI: Buffon; Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Kehrer; Meunier, Verratti, Draxler, Bernat; Di Maria, Mbappe, Neymar.

Lille XI: Maignan; Celik, Fonte, Soumaoro, Ballo-Toure; Xeka, Thiago Mendes; Pepe, Ikone, Bamba; Rafael Leao.

Some fantastic attacking talents on show tonight. Lille's front four have looked so exciting this season and I can't wait to see how they get on, particularly Pepe.

Can't see past a PSG win because I think their defence gives them the edge but hoping for a fun game with plenty of goals. Game kicks off at 7:45 on BT Sport 2.

0-0 at Half-Time. Lille will be happy with that despite PSG having more chances. Soumaoro doing well in defence and Celik at RB has coped with Neymar so far. Pepe been the pick of Lille's attacking players, though they've all worked hard.

Mbappe looking the one most likely to break the deadlock. I suspect Rabiot will be introduced around the hour mark if nothing changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Stunner from Mbappé! Just perfect technique to find the corner there.

MBAPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What a hit. 1-0 PSG.

Neymar makes it 2-0 and puts the game to bed. He and Mbappe are starting to develop a great understanding.

Pepe! Lille get a consolation from the penalty spot. Pleased he got a goal.

Full-Time. PSG win it 2-1 and go 11 pts clear at the top. Lille acquitted themselves well in the first half but PSG stepped up a level in the second half and Galtier's side had no answer. I thought Marquinhos and Thiago Silva were excellent at the back. Mbappe and Neymar caused loads of problems in the second half. Soumaoro and Pepe the standout figures for Lille.

Cavani's been great for PSG but Mbappe is showing he can do the business in that central role now. I think it might be time for Cavani to move on next summer.

• Advertisement

Saturday results:
    Lyon 1-1 Bordeaux
    Caen 1-2 Rennes
    Dijon 0-4 Nimes
    Nice 1-0 Amiens
    Reims 1-0 Monaco
    Strasbourg 1-1 Toulouse

Another disaster for Monaco as they lose to promoted side Reims. They have yet to win since Thierry Henry took over. Incredibly yet again one of his subs went and got sent off after Grandsir did this a few weeks back in his first game in charge. If Guingamp get at least a point against Nantes tomorrow, Monaco sink to bottom place. And their next Ligue 1 opponent is PSG.

Lyon will also be disappointed with their result. I didn't see the game but from what I've read, they were awful. Not a good way to prepare for Hoffenheim in the Champions League.

Great result for Nimes against a fellow struggler; the promoted sides are doing well of late. An O.G. helped Patrick Vieira's Nice win and climb to 9th. The talented Ismaila Sarr scored to help Rennes beat Caen, while another guy making a name for himself is Lebo Mothiba who got his 7th goal in 12 games for Strasbourg in their draw with Toulouse.

Games tomorrow on BT Sport are Nantes vs Guingamp, Saint-Etienne vs Angers and the evening game of Montpellier vs Marseille. Montpellier are riding high in 3rd, while Marseille are 3 points behind them in 5th. That could be a good contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

What's going on with Monaco Mr. Nice Guy? I know they lost a few big players but still look to have a decent team that should easily be top 6 id imagine. Bad luck, players not bothered?

I think the loss of Fabinho and Moutinho in the centre of midfield has been huge. Tielemans hasn't impressed me since he joined and he and the other CM they signed Aholou needed to step up in a big way and they haven't done so. I noticed today Henry subbed Tielemans off at Half-Time. He's worked with him at Belgium and even he can't get anything more from him. They look a soft touch in the middle of the park now and I think other teams sense it.

Another factor is that Rony Lopes has been missing and he was arguably their best player last season. To make matters worse Golovin hasn't made the impression that his World Cup form suggested. Add in to that Falcao not hitting his form from last season, Jemerson being dodgy at the back, and the fact their confidence has been shot to pieces and it's become a recipe for disaster.

I think Henry's results show Jardim was not to blame. I think there's only so many times you can keep revamping a squad and expect it to pay off. They now have a situation where they've sold off most of their great team from two years ago and the ones left seem to be totally demoralized.

I still think they'll get out of danger as that squad should have enough to climb the table, but I'm not sure Henry is the man to do it. This spell is going a bit like the way things did for Gary Neville at Valencia. Henry should get more time and patience at Monaco though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭- bo -

5-0 and 4 wins on the bounce... I need a lie down.

- bo - wrote: »
    5-0 and 4 wins on the bounce... I need a lie down.

Sala into double figures now with only Mbappe ahead of him. Very impressive considering Nantes were struggling earlier in the season. Surprised a side like Marseille haven't expressed an interest in him considering they look light up top.

Saint-Etienne vs Angers was another goal fest with the home side edging it 4-3. Very fun back-and-forth game with sub Hamouma getting the winner with a minute to go. I'm a fan of Ruffier but I thought he looked dodgy at times today. This hasn't been his best season.

Teams for Montpellier vs Marseille are in:
    Montpellier XI: Lecomte; Le Tallec, Hilton, Congre; Aguilar, Skhiri, Lasne, Cozza; Mollet; Laborde, Delort.

Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sarr, Rami, Kamara, Amavi; Strootman, Sanson, Gustavo; Thauvin, Germain, Payet.

Montpellier defender Hilton is 41 and still going strong. Been a big part of Montpellier having a great defence the past two years. Big test tonight though. Skhiri and Mollet are good creative players and Laborde and Delort have been scoring goals, so keen to see how they get on tonight.

Strootman played well against PSG and Marseille have a strong-looking midfield. Kamara's done well in defence but Rami and Mandanda always look like they have a mistake in them. Thauvin and Payet need to step up after a quiet few weeks.

I'll say Marseille to edge it 2-1. Game is on BT Sport 1 from 8pm.

1-0 Montpellier early in the second half. Laborde heads in a cross after a nice move.

Update: 2-0 Montpellier as Laborde gets another. Poor defending from Amavi as Laborde curls in a great effort. Montpellier impressing me with this performance. They're full of confidence. Less than a half-hour remaining for Marseille to salvage something.

Update: 3-0 now! Lasne scores after he and Mollet link up well. Montpellier making a statement tonight.

All over as Montpellier overwhelm Marseille 3-0 with a great display to go 2nd in the table. I didn't think they had that in them. They were good in defence last season without being great up top. This season they're still defensively strong but now look very impressive going forward. Mollet and Laborde stood out, while Lasne and Aguilar also did well. Marseille on the other hand now have one of the worst defensive records in the league.

It's a pity PSG are running away with the title as besides that the league looks very interesting. The Champions League places are very much up for grabs, and Monaco being in a relegation scrap is something no one could have predicted. The games are proving entertaining too with 15 goals today from the 3 games.

Some exciting matches coming up next week with 3rd place Lille vs 7th place Strasbourg on Friday, and Monaco hosting PSG on Sunday as pressure mounts on Henry.

Guingamp board have had enough.

https://twitter.com/RBairner/status/1059752985360846848

He did well last season but they haven't been able to replace the loss of key players like Jimmy Briand, Clement Grenier and Moustapha Diallo.

Tough match for Guingamp coming up at the weekend home to Lyon.

Update: Guingamp have their new manager.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1060554188722262017

Excited for tonight's game between 3rd placed Lille and 7th placed Strasbourg. Game is on BT Sport ESPN from 7:45. Teams:
    Lille XI: Maignan; Celik, Jose Fonte, Soumaoro, Ballo-Toure; Thiago Mendes, Xeka; Pepe, Ikone, Bamba; Rui Fonte.

Strasbourg XI: Sels; Kone, Mitrovic, Martinez; Aaneba, Sissoko, Jonas Martin, Carole; Corgnet; Zohi, Mothiba.

Lille's top scorer Nicolas Pepe is one of Ligue 1's most sought-after stars and has been awesome this year. Bamba and Ikone are exciting in attack as well.

Strasbourg's Lebo Mothiba is also one to watch with 7 goals this season, only 1 behind Pepe. They are missing a key player though in their right wing-back Kenny Lala who is very good going forward.

Lille have a great home record and Strasbourg are poor away, so the signs would seem to suggest Lille ought to win this. I'll go for a 2-0 win to the home side.

Update: 0-0 at Half-Time. Lille have been dominant but haven't been able to take their chances. Pepe has got into some good positions but his shooting has been disappointing. Fonte looks anonymous up top. I'd prefer to see him taken off for Rafael Leao. Celik has done well for Lille at RB. Strasbourg meanwhile have struggled to create a chance as they've sat back most of the half.

Subs: Galtier has now taken off Fonte and Ikone for Araujo and Leao. Less than 20 minutes remaining. Hopefully it can lead to a breakthrough. Game needs a goal.

Great save: Sels stops Xeka from scoring with his leg. Looked a certain goal.

Full-Time: The game ends goalless. Lille had 22 shots and 73% possession but couldn't find the breakthrough. Strasbourg probably deserved a point based on their defending. Pablo Martinez made a goalline clearance near the end and Mothiba led the line well for them. Lille's strike force has been great this season but they had an off-day tonight. Chance now for Montpellier to take a hold of second place if they beat Angers tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Saturday's results:
    Guingamp 2-4 Lyon
    Angers 1-0 Montpellier
    Nimes 0-1 Nice
    Saint-Etienne 2-0 Reims
    Toulouse 0-1 Amiens

I caught the second half of Nimes vs Nice and Nice were very fortunate to leave with all 3 points. Nimes striker Bozok had his penalty saved by Walter Benitez, and Nimes had two players sent off before half-time. You'd think Nice would go on to win comfortably against 9 men but they were poor, and Nimes keeper Bernardoni made a string of good saves. Balotelli produced another lazy showing. At the end Nimes were pushing for a late equaliser but couldn't get it. Vieira will be a relieved man. Nice are up to 6th now.

Montpellier losing to Angers is a surprise. They would have gone second had they won. Lyon are now breathing down their necks after their win. Memphis Depay scored 2 goals and had 2 assists and Aouar got a goal and an assist.

Saint-Etienne are now a point behind their rivals Lyon after their win; Khazri scored one and made one. Lyon and Saint-Etienne will meet after the international break which will be one to watch.

Amiens beating Toulouse sees them climb from 18th to 16th and puts them just a point behind Toulouse. Interestingly, Alexis Blin got the winner for Amiens and he's on loan from Toulouse.

Televised matches tomorrow are Bordeaux vs Caen, Marseille vs Dijon and the evening game of Monaco vs PSG, and considering Monaco's form Thierry Henry will be looking to avoid a hammering.

Sunday's results:
    Bordeaux 0-0 Caen
    Marseille 2-0 Dijon
    Rennes 1-1 Nantes

Marseille up to 6th with their win. Rami of all people with a goal and an assist. Emiliano Sala got his 11th of the season in Nantes' draw with Rennes. Bordeaux will be disappointed at being held by lowly Caen.

Monaco vs PSG about to start on BT Sport 1. Teams:
    Monaco XI: Benaglio - Sidibe, Jemerson, Badiashile, Henrichs - Pele, Ait Bennasser - Grandsir, Diop, Chadli - Falcao.

PSG XI: Areola - Kehrer, Silva, Kimpembe - Nkunku, Rabiot, Draxler, Diaby - Mbappe, Cavani, Neymar.

Glik is a huge loss for Monaco. That CB partnership is frightening. PSG have picked a very attacking line-up as well. I think this could get very ugly.

I'd say if Monaco can avoid losing by no more than 3 goals it will be an achievement of sorts. Expecting them to lose heavily.

Cavani gives PSG the lead following Neymar's ball across. Initially it was wrongly ruled out for offside but VAR correctly awards it.

Think I'll switch back to the Copa Libertadores as there's surely only one way this game is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Good luck, PSG one up already thanks to VAR. This will probably be about 7 or 8 nil.

Just turned back over and I see Cavani got a second with the aid of VAR.

Wonder what Henry's team talk is at half-time. Morale must be rock bottom.

The injury misery continues for Monaco.

Chadli limped off with an injury on 20 minutes to be replaced with Mboula.

Now guess who's just done in their hamstring? Mboula.

Henry shaking his head in disbelief. Has any new manager of a big club ever had such a rotten start to their career as this?

• Advertisement

And Cavani completes the hat-trick. 3-0 before 55 minutes. Cavani slowly but surely creeping up that top goalscorers chart.

Update: Mbappe wins a penalty. Neymar scores it. 4-0 inside 65 minutes.

That was a sore one on Mbappe

Full-Time. PSG win 4-0. Henry looked absolutely crestfallen there at the final whistle. I'd love to know what he tells the dressing room after that. PSG were on another universe to them and they weren't even at top gear. Neymar played very well but it was cruise control.

Monaco's next game after the international break is away to Caen who are fighting for survival. A lot riding on that.

Henry was very critical of Wenger in Arsene's last season at Arsenal. It would be amazing if Wenger ends up replacing him at Monaco in January. Feel like Wenger will have far better offers though.

I think Henry was mad taking that job. Would he not have been better taking a job in England in the lower league similar to Lampard. He may have been a superstar footballer, but he’s back on the first rung as a manager and Monaco was a strange choice for his first foray into management considering the state they’re in. He let his heart rule his head with that one I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Neymar off after 8 minutes and Mbappe off after 36. Bad first half for PSG tonight in the international friendlies!

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    Neymar off after 8 minutes and Mbappe off after 36. Bad first half for PSG tonight in the international friendlies!

Could be very significant with the Liverpool game not far away.

I read that Ferland Mendy and Ndombele played well tonight for France against Uruguay. Nice to see two of Ligue 1's standout players getting a chance to impress. Former Nice player Alassane Plea got some minutes as well. Thauvin also got an hour but I'm hearing he wasn't so good.

There was a thread on the board recently about big derbies and one of France's biggest is coming up tonight. Lyon vs Saint-Etienne in the Derby du Rhone. It's a significant one too as Lyon are 4th on 24 points, while Saint-Etienne are 5th and a point behind. A Lyon victory would send them temporarily second. Teams:
    Lyon XI: Lopes - Rafael, Denayer, Marcelo, Marcal, Mendy - Ndombele, Fekir, Aouar - Depay, Dembele.

Saint-Etienne XI: Ruffier - Debuchy, Kolodziejczak, Subotic, Gabriel Silva - M'Vila, Selnaes - Monnet-Paquet, Cabella, Diony - Khazri.

A lot of talent on show. Mendy, Ndombele and Depay are coming off successful international breaks. Aouar is having a good season too, while Fekir had a big part to play when these sides met last season.

Meanwhile Khazri is having a very good season for St Etienne, and Cabella and Selnaes have shown good creativity. Debuchy has been one of Ligue 1's best RBs in 2018 and the contest between him and Mendy will be one to watch.

Anything could happen in this one but Lyon have a good record in the fixture so I'll go for a 2-0 home win. Hopefully the game lives up to the hype and doesn't turn out to be a scrappy affair. Game is on BT Sport 3 from 8pm.

Half-Time: 0-0 at the break. Lyon have been disappointing while Saint-Etienne have impressed. Lopes has kept it goalless with several good stops. Mendy has done well in attack and Ndombele has had some good moments. Depay has not offered a lot. Dunno if he's tired or what but he didn't look sharp that half. Saint-Etienne have defended well and Khazri, Diony and Cabella have been bright. Selnaes looking good in midfield too alongside M'Vila.

I think Genesio needs to change it up tactically as the midfield is getting bossed. I'd like to see him take off Marcal and put on Tousart or Diop.

Half-Time change: Fekir off for Cornet. Pretty certain that's not a tactical call. Must be feeling tired coming back from injury.

1-0 Lyon. Denayer heads in well at the near post from Depay's corner. Lyon have been on top so far this half so the lead is deserved. About thirty minutes remaining.

Well, well, potential game-changing moment. Rafael given a straight red for a scissor tackle on M'Vila. Stupid tackle.

Full-Time and Lyon edge it 1-0 to go second in the table. Wasn't a great game and ended up being the typical, scrappy derby. A few edgy moments for Lyon near the end as Saint-Etienne put them under siege. I suspect Lyon's game with Man City will be quite similar. Lopes the MOTM for me. He might be the best keeper in Ligue 1 at the minute.

Saturday's results:
    PSG 1-0 Toulouse
    Caen 0-1 Monaco
    Dijon 0-0 Bordeaux
    Nantes 1-1 Angers
    Reims 2-1 Guingamp
    Strasbourg 0-1 Nimes

Thierry Henry has his first win as Monaco manager. A nice Falcao free-kick was the difference. I thought he was going to be denied in stoppage time as it seemed Caen had found a late equaliser but VAR correctly ruled it out for offside. Monaco are still 19th but they're within sight of their rivals now.

PSG continued their 100 per cent record with Cavani's goal. Decent result for Dijon who sit just above Monaco. Nantes got a late equaliser to get a draw as their top scorer Sala got an assist this time. Reims are surprisingly flying high in 7th after they beat bottom side Guingamp. Disappointing result for Strasbourg but a great win for Nimes. The promoted sides are doing well.

Tomorrow's games see Montpellier host Rennes, Nice home to Lille and the evening game of Amiens vs Marseille. Of those, Nice vs Lille interests me most. Should be a lot of exciting talents in that one: Saint-Maximin, Pepe, Atal, Bamba to name a few.

Strasbourg and Nimes was absolute dirt.

Sunday's results so far:
    Montpellier 2-2 Rennes
    Nice 2-0 Lille

The opening game was fun. Ben Arfa gave Rennes the early lead but two Delort goals made it 2-1 to Montpellier, before Bourigeaud got Rennes an equaliser from the spot. I thought a draw was a fair outcome. The Delort/Laborde combo for Montpellier is one of the best in the league. Delort looked pissed off to be taken off late on as he was on a hat-trick.

Saint-Maximin was great for Nice as they beat Lille. Worked hard and showed a lot of quality. That was Vieira's best result as Nice coach I'd say. Lille could have gone second with a point but they remain fourth. I thought they were disappointing and I expected more from their attacking players.

Amiens host Marseille in the final game of the round. Game is on BT Sport 1 from 8pm. A Marseille win lifts them to fifth, a point behind Lille. Amiens are 16th and if they can get anything they'll be doing well. Teams:
    Amiens XI: Gurtner - Lefort, Gouano, Krafth, Dibassy - Gnahore, Monconduit - Blin, Mendoza, Ghoddos - Otero.

Marseille XI: Mandanda - Sarr, Rami, Rolando, Sakai - Lopez, Strootman - Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos - N'Jie.

Even without Gustavo I'd expect Marseille to get the job done. Want to see Thauvin and Payet produce some magic. Ghoddos should be Amiens' biggest threat. They also have Ganso on the bench.

I'll say 2-0 to Marseille.

Oh dear. Dreadful keeping error from Mandanda as he spills it straight into the path of Dibassy who scores. 1-0 Amiens.

Mandanda's been making a lot of errors this season. I think a new GK is required for them.

THAUVIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNN

1-1. That's what I was hoping to see. Thauvin cuts in off the right and fires low in at the near post. Gurtner probably could have done better to stop it. Not a great game for the goalies so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement