Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Very emotional stuff. Bammou in the crowd couldn't hold in the tears, and then Halihodzic likewise during the 9th minute applause. Rongier is captain and gave a speech to the fans from the training ground last week when they got back training, since he walked out the tunnel tonight you can tell his head is not in this at all and it's being reflected in his performance so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wow double red card. Fabio and M'Vila dismissed. Looks soft on the first replay.

I can't see anything in that. Just a bit of shoving. Don't even think a booking was warranted. Weird. And that's that for the first half.

Bizarre that. I can only think it was for something said. Surely both of them can't be that thick? Because if it's for the handbags then that can't even be a yellow for either of them. Can't get my head around that one...

Cabella scores to make it 1-0 to Saint-Etienne. He doesn't celebrate the goal.

I thought it was a handball in real time but VAR gives it the green light.

1-1! Waris scores. Seems like he was injured in the collision with Ruffier.

He's back on his feet now.

Full-Time and it ends 1-1. Pleased that Nantes got something from the game. The fans deserved it. Thought Khazri was disappointing except for his corner attempt that nearly went in, and his involvement in the Cabella goal.

Next Ligue 1 encounter is on Friday as 2nd place Lille host 7th-place Nice. That should be a good clash.

Teams for Lille vs Nice which kicks off at 7:45 on BT Sport 3:
    Lille XI: Maignan; Celik, Jose Fonte, Soumaoro, Kone; Thiago Mendes, Xeka; Pepe, Ikone, Bamba; Leao.

Nice XI: Benitez; Atal, Dante, Herelle, Sarr, Burner; Cyprien, Danilo, Tameze; Saint-Maximin, Ganago.

Quite a few of Ligue 1's top players on show in this game: Pepe, Atal, Thiago Mendes, Saint-Maximin most notably. Both keepers having strong seasons too.

Lille favourites to win, but their home record is suspect and Nice have a good record against them. I'll sit on the fence and say a draw though I'd like Lille to win.

1-0 Lille as Leao smashes home from close range following Ikone's low cross. All came from Atal being dispossessed by Kone. Can't allow Lille break like that. Nice being sloppy atm.

PEPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Another beaut from the man himself. What a player.

2-0.

https://twitter.com/LoscVideos/status/1091433196984692736

2-0 Lille at Half-Time. Wasn't expecting Nice to be so poor. They've been completely dominated. I'm a fan of Atal but Kone was winning the personal duel with him and then Atal had to go off with a hamstring injury after 30 minutes.

Lille looking so good in attack. Leao looks a quality young striker and went close with an acrobatic effort. Pepe hit the crossbar despite slipping as he took the strike. Lille could be out of sight and it wouldn't flatter them.

• Advertisement

3-0 Lille. Lovely goal with Bamba finishing following a sweet assist from Pepe. Before that Ganago had gone close with an acrobatic effort saved by Maignan.

Game over now.

That Pepe assist:

https://twitter.com/LoscVideos/status/1091446675707707394

Straight red for Lees-Melou for leaving the studs on Araujo. Looked accidental in real time but VAR was called upon and it did look nasty and intentional on the replay.

Remy scores!

Lovely header after Pied put it on a plate for him. 4-0 Lille and it's a scoreline they certainly deserve.

Full-Time and Lille beat Nice at home for the first time in 13 years. Lille were excellent and Nice were second-best all evening. The home side's front four were great, especially Pepe. Thiago Mendes shone in midfield and the LB Kone was impressive; I was surprised they sold Ballo-Toure to Monaco but they obviously have confidence in Kone as a replacement.

Nice were terrible. Hard to praise any of their players.

Lille looking very good for that Champions League spot at the minute. I thought they'd wobble under the pressure but not yet anyway. Pepe is too good for Lille. Most top clubs in the summer should be putting in bids for him.

Reims vs Marseille is the evening game tonight on BT Sport 2 from 8pm. Marseille are 8th and Reims 10th. Both on the same points but Reims have played a game more. Marseille surely have to win if they want to keep alive their Champions League hopes. Team news:
    Reims XI: Mendy - Foket, Engels, Abdelhamid, Kamara - Chavalerin, Romao, Dingome - Cafaro, Dia, Oudin.

Marseille XI: Mandanda - Sarr, Rolando, Gustavo, Kamara - Lopez, Strootman, Sanson - Radonjic, Balotelli, Ocampos.

Edouard Mendy's been one of the best keepers in the league this season so looking forward to watching him again. Oudin played well against Nice recently. Saw Abdelhamid and Romao impress against Lyon a few weeks back as well so keen to see how they do.

Balotelli makes his first start for Marseille. Thauvin is suspended.

I can see this being a low-scoring affair; the reverse fixture was a stalemate. I'll go for Marseille to edge it by a goal. Maybe Balotelli can be the difference.

1-0 Reims! Dingome with his first goal of the season via a deflected effort off Gustavo. Big ask for Marseille now as Reims don't tend to give many goals away.

Monaco have recorded their first win under Jardim's latest reign. Fabregas got his first goal for the club to help them beat Toulouse 2-1. Monaco up to 18th now. Amiens have slipped to 19th after being beaten 1-0 by Rennes. Dijon are 16th following a 1-0 defeat to Angers.

Reims currently lead Marseille 1-0 at Half-Time. Mendy made a good stop late in the half. The commentator said Reims gave him a new contract this week which was a smart move. He's a quality keeper.

Wow. Substitute Suk scores for Reims seconds after coming on. 2-0 and looks like Reims are going to leapfrog Marseille in the table.

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being Rudi Garcia's last game in charge.

2-1. Lifeline for Marseille as substitute Njie's strong header from a nice Lopez cross loops past Mendy. Three minutes of normal time remaining.

And Mendy produces a stunning save to deny Ocampos! Reims hanging on now.

• Advertisement

Full-Time and Reims win 2-1. Some heroic blocks at the end from Engels and Foket to ensure the win. Mendy made some big saves as well and he's arguably the best keeper in the division on current form I'd say. I was impressed with the youngster Mathieu Cafaro. I remember he scored a great free-kick against Strasbourg a few weeks ago but this was my first time to really have a look at him. He showed good vision and got two nice assists. Possibly another quality baller from the French production line.

Aside from Kamara and Lopez, and Njie as substitute, Marseille were disappointing. Expected more from Balotelli. Marseille now have gone from 5th to 10th since December and it makes you wonder how long Garcia can last in the job.

Big game tomorrow evening as Lyon host PSG. Hoping to see Paris lose for the first time this season in that one. Nimes vs Montpellier is the early game, while Saint-Etienne vs Strasbourg is off due to snow.

Nimes and Montpellier played out a 1-1 draw earlier. Eases some of the pressure on Lyon ahead of their game with PSG tonight. Team news:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Dubois, Marcelo, Denayer, Mendy; Aouar, Ndombele; Traore, Fekir, Depay; Dembele.

PSG XI: Areola; Kehrer, Thiago Silva, Kimpembe, Bernat; Di Maria, Dani Alves, Marquinhos, Draxler; Mbappe, Cavani.

I like the look of the Lyon team, although Dubois could be in for a tough evening. Think I'd rather Tete there. PSG line-up not too surprising as Meunier has to make do with the bench again.

Would love Lyon to inflict PSG's first loss of the season. They managed to beat them in this fixture last season. It's just so hard to know which Lyon will turn up though. They've the quality to do it. I'll be optimistic and say Lyon to edge it. Hope to see another Ndombele masterclass.

Solskjaer is in attendance to scout PSG apparently (and I hope much of the Lyon team!). Game kicks off at 8pm on BT Sport 1.

FFS. 1-0 PSG. Aouar nabbed in possession by Draxler and Di Maria punishes Lyon ruthlessly.

Nearly a Lyon equaliser. Great stop from Areola with his feet. Depay coming into the game now and set up Traore and Dembele with two good balls.

OMG Areola. What a double save.

And now he's denied Fekir with his legs. This is a De Gea-esque display.

This is a De Gea-esque display.

Well...not any more it's not!

1-1 Lyon. Areola comes for a cross, stumbles, and Dembele powers a header home. Lyon definitely deserve to be back in it.

What a goalline clearance from Denayer! Unbelievable!

https://twitter.com/SecondPoteauFC/status/1092163507523674112

• Advertisement

1-1 at Half-Time. Brilliant game. Both sides going for it; you attack, we attack. I'd say Lyon shaded it in terms of being the better team, but PSG have had chances so both being level is fair enough. Areola was PSG's best player prior to his error. Di Maria looking dangerous too. Denayer and Ndombele doing well for Lyon. Depay and Traore have threatened too. Anyone's game at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Great watch that first half. Ndombele is some buck. Lyon play good stuff. PSG obviously so dangerous with their quality yet the midfield is letting them down.

Would Denayer satisfy the home grown rule as it stands in premier league?

DM_7 wrote: »
    Would Denayer satisfy the home grown rule as it stands in premier league?

I think he did for the Premier League. Wonder if City have any regrets selling him considering he did well against them earlier in the season as well. I doubt he would have got much of a chance had he remained in England.

Penalty to Lyon! Thiago Silva fouls Dembele.

Fekir will take it. And he scores! 2-1 Lyon. Let's go!

OMG what a save this time from Lopes. Even Mbappe applauds! That was brilliant skill from Mbappe.

And Lopes is called on again following the corner. Lyon hanging on a bit here.

PSG sending on their big January window signing Paredes for the final ten minutes or so replacing Kimpembe. Choupo-Moting on for Cavani as well which is a brave call.

• Advertisement

FFS Dembele could have finished it right there. Areola again.

Full-Time! Lyon beat PSG 2-1 and the undefeated run of PSG is over. Tuchel was as angry as I've seen him this season and could have been sent to the stands. It's obvious he really wanted that invincible season.

Excellent performance from Lyon in what was a great game of football. The bittersweet thing is that Lyon really should be producing these performances more often. If they could only be consistent, we might actually have a title race. On their day they can beat anybody. Big result for their Champions League hopes.

I only got to see the last 20 minutes of that last night but by all accounts it was a cracking game. PSG keep going for Nantes' record for longest unbeaten run in a season (32) but end up failing :cool:

Ligue 1 action this evening as Marseille vs Bordeaux kicks off at 6pm on BT Sport 1. Team news:
    Marseille XI: Mandanda - Kamara, Caleta-Car, Sakai - Sarr, Lopez, Sanson, Amavi - Ocampos, N’Jie - Germain.

Bordeaux XI: Costil - Palencia, Kounde, Pablo, Poundje - Plasil, Otavio, Sankhare - Kalu, Cornelius, Briand.

Marseille currently in dismal form sitting in tenth, 3 points above Bordeaux.

Massive pressure on Rudi Garcia if they lose and they're without Gustavo, Payet, Rami, Thauvin, Strootman and Balotelli. Game is also behind closed doors due to crowd trouble involving the Marseille fans. Great chance for Bordeaux to get something from this game. I'll say Bordeaux to nick it.

Red card: Kalu has gotten himself sent off for Bordeaux with a stupid challenge. Bordeaux possibly squandering this opportunity to get something.

1-0 Marseille. Kamara heads in Germain's near-post assist. Tough for Bordeaux to turn this around now with 10 men.

Bordeaux players making a meal of every challenge to try and get a Marseille player sent off and even the odds. Even more pathetic in the empty stadium as you can hear their screams of anguish over what are nothing incidents. Ref handling it well.

Full-Time and Marseille win 1-0. Badly needed result for Garcia's men that takes them up to 7th place. Not a good game of football. Kalu's brainless sending off for Bordeaux was the key moment in the game.

Marseille in action again on TV this Friday as they travel to struggling Dijon.

Pleased to hear Nantes made it to the Coupe de France quarter-finals, beating Toulouse 2-0. Orleans, Dijon and Caen also made it through.

Be great if PSG went out tomorrow but as they're taking on third tier Villefranche it's not very likely.

Yeah, good performance yesterday and very dominant. Could have had 5 or 6 and it wouldn't have been flattering, but Tatarusanu made a couple of good stops too. Home draw in the next round please, and not PSG/Lyon or the winners of Rennes-Lille....

Plucky Villefranche ended up keeping the score 0-0 with PSG over 90 minutes, the first time they failed to score in 90 minutes of play under Tuchel. Unfortunately PSG then scored three in Extra-Time via Draxler, Diaby and Cavani. Still, they're not looking so good with the United game not far off.

Lille are in trouble against Rennes. Centre-back Soumaoro has been sent off inside twenty minutes.

Update: Lille are eliminated after losing 2-1 to Rennes. Pepe got the opening goal, but two from Siebatcheu see the home side into the next round. Vitre also go through. Guingamp play Lyon tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Vitré - Nantes
    PSG - Dijon
    Rennes - Orléans
    Guingamp/Lyon - Caen

I'd have snapped your hand off for that one. It's a mad competition where really anyone can beat anyone, but we've a massive chance to get one game from a day out in the Stade de France.

Lyon have made it through tonight, beating Guingamp 2-1.

Barring any upsets we'll have a final four of Nantes, PSG, Rennes and Lyon which would be intriguing.

While I'm trying not to get too excited about it I have to admit I'm keeping a close eye on these 60 quid flights to Paris on the 27th April...

Number 9 shirt retired, and all places €9 at la Beaujoire this Sunday. Another highly emotional game in store...

Dijon vs Marseille on BT Sport ESPN this evening from 7:45. Team news:
    Dijon XI: Allain; Chafik, Yambere, Lautoa, Haddadi; Amalfitano, Abeid, Marie; Kwon, Tavares, Said.

Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sakai, Kamara, Caleta-Car, Amavi; Strootman, Lopez; Sarr, Thauvin, Ocampos; Balotelli.

Nice to be able to watch Chang-Hoon Kwon again. He was one of my favourite players last season. Was gutted for him he missed the World Cup with injury. Sliti is on the bench as he comes back from injury. He's always worth a watch so I hope he gets on at some stage.

Thauvin returns from suspension for Marseille. Balotelli and Strootman also back fit.

Even though Marseille aren't great away from home I fancy they'll have too much for Dijon.

1-0 Dijon! Against the run of play, Mandanda spills Chafik's shot and Marie tucks in the rebound. Not the first time Mandanda's been less than convincing this season.

Half-Time: Dijon lead at the break. Balotelli has had chances but hasn't been able to take them. Said went close for Dijon too. Think Garcia needs to change it up tactically. I'd like to see Sanson on for Sarr and a switch to 4-3-3.

1-1. Super Mario scores from a corner following Thauvin's flick on.

Almost 2-1 as Mandanda once again spills a shot but Said unable to finish. He's looking a liability this season.

OCAMPOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSS

What a goal!

https://twitter.com/TazPhalora/status/1093982460659011584

Full-Time and Marseille win 2-1. I was impressed with Marseille's CB partnership of Kamara and Caleta-Car. The latter was noticeably struggling earlier in the season. Balotelli is offering more of a threat up top and Ocampos' goal was quality. I do think Mandanda's form is a worry for them though. Dijon will rue that missed chance from Said when the score was still 1-1.

The result puts Marseille fifth but the teams around them have games in hand; Dijon stay 16th but could slip into the drop zone depending on other results. I hope Dijon stay up but they need to stop giving bad goals away.

• Advertisement

Saturday's results:
    PSG 1-0 Bordeaux
    Amiens 1-0 Caen
    Strasbourg 1-2 Angers

PSG grind out a win via a Cavani penalty but the big news is Cavani then going off injured days before the United game. Meunier is also a doubt after a head clash. On a brighter note, Verratti returned and got an hour under his belt.

Big result in the relegation battle as Amiens climb to 16th and move three points ahead of Caen who stay 18th. In-form Strasbourg losing to Angers is a fairly big upset; the home side would have moved temporarily 4th had they won but instead they stay 7th. Angers rise to 12th.

Six games tomorrow with four of them on BT: Montpellier vs Monaco at 2pm; Guingamp vs Lille and Rennes vs Saint-Etienne both at 4pm; plus the evening game of Nice vs Lyon at 8pm. The late game interests me the most as you'd imagine Lille will beat bottom side Guingamp meaning Lyon could find themselves 6 points off second if they lose to Vieira's side. And Nice did beat them 1-0 in the reverse fixture.

Advertisement