Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired vs sleepy

Options
  • 04-08-2018 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I suffer from sleep maintenance insomnia and have just started CBT-Insomnia. I normally put myself to bed at 10pm and am awake again at 12. I'm now supposed to put myself to bed only when sleepy and past midnight.

I'm tired literally 24/7. I'm tired right now at 12.15, but I'm not sleepy. Last night I gave up and went to bed at 12.45 as I knew my toddler would be up before 6, but again I wasn't sleepy, so of course I was awake after 2 hours sleep. I'm genuinely worried my body doesn't know how to get sleepy and relaxed. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What works for me is lay in bed, arms by your side and just imagine some ridiculous scenario like flying around (think superman), maybe saving a plane that is crashing but you can fly so you can save it, but need to go with the imagination
    Asleep within 10 mins or so - need to turn the brain off from everyday life so give it something stupid to think about and turn off your conscious side of the brain.
    You may wake up again an hour or so later but at least your brain is in sleep mode so should be easy to get back to sleep after turning around.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Unfortunately that's the problem with sleep maintenance insomnia - I don't get back to sleep properly after that initial 2 hours, I'm either awake or in a light sleep while having horrible, stressful dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What I described above is basically a meditation sequence. I'm a night owl and find it incredibly hard to get to sleep at night to wake up at 7.30. But I do the above and may toss and turn a bit but do get a good nights sleep
    Research meditation and avoid things that might make your mind active, even maybe some mild sedatives.
    Re the dreams - try to own them, realise you are dreaming and enjoy the ride. There are techniques for this - google them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

My housemate often complains about being "Wired but tired." Drinks too much caffeine to keep working. Then cannot sleep after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I suffer from sleep maintenance insomnia and have just started CBT-Insomnia. I normally put myself to bed at 10pm and am awake again at 12. I'm now supposed to put myself to bed only when sleepy and past midnight.

I'm tired literally 24/7. I'm tired right now at 12.15, but I'm not sleepy. Last night I gave up and went to bed at 12.45 as I knew my toddler would be up before 6, but again I wasn't sleepy, so of course I was awake after 2 hours sleep. I'm genuinely worried my body doesn't know how to get sleepy and relaxed. Any advice?

A few things to consider:

1. Im assuming your working with a CBT professional, so I'd be giving that your attention more than advice from on here;
    2. The fact that you're even on here may be exciting your senses and undermining your sleep rythms, so I'd try and drop all stimulating technology use after 9 or 10 pm for a few weeks;
    3. A piece of 'allowable ' tech is listening to calming sounds, and if you can get your hands on a copy, listen to and practice tbe total body relaxation techniques from ppl like Jon Kabat Zinn's 'Total Body Scan'.
    4. Try and isolate if theres something triggering your brain into thoughts that might be contributing to anxieties that coukd be keeping you in a hyper-vigiant state;
    5. Explore the use of Melatonin therapy in conjuction with your GP;
    6. Try out a new bed and/or different surroundings for a few nights and see if that helps;
    7. If you cant sleep after the initial 2 hours or so, dont lie there thrashing- itll drive you scatty;

Finally, sorry youre going through this- I know those hours being unable to sleep and the consequent next-day zombie walking can be awful. Dont give up on the CBT: it needs a fair committment early on..

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice. Tomonboard, yes I'm working with a professional and I've only just started so I shouldn't expect things to change overnight, if you'll pardon the pun :D

I'll be avoiding medication this time (been on everything in the book by now) but I will look up the meditation, as I need to figure ways to quiet my mind.

Take a look at this approach and see if it resonates with you..

https://www.headspace.com/headspace-meditation-app

Regarding the use of medication, I understand your rationale. I mention the melatonin because it is a naturally occurring hormone that regulates sleep and wakefullness. Its not medication in the sense of barbiturates etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

...yes I'm working with a professional and I've only just started so I shouldn't expect things to change overnight
    Wise.

Well night 2 was a bit better, night 3 was worse. Currently night 4 and again tired but not sleepy. I'm just finding it tough to not go to bed at the same time as my husband and be the only one up in the house. But I'll keep at it and hope to see an improvement. It's the first time I haven't just had pills thrown at me and hopefully the next time I speak to my therapist she can determine what direction the plan is going.

Well night 2 was a bit better, night 3 was worse. Currently night 4 and again tired but not sleepy. I'm just finding it tough to not go to bed at the same time as my husband and be the only one up in the house. But I'll keep at it and hope to see an improvement. It's the first time I haven't just had pills thrown at me and hopefully the next time I speak to my therapist she can determine what direction the plan is going.

Have you looked into the Total Body Scan and other meditation?

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Have you looked into the Total Body Scan and other meditation?

Yeah I did hypnotherapy at one point and that was part of it.

OK well just had a couple of yawns so gonna chance bed now, wish me luck :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

OK well just had a couple of yawns so gonna chance bed now, wish me luck :)
    Good luck. If sleeping problems persist, keep your health care professional informed.

Heard good about CBT and helping sleep probs. Must read more.

Diet, exercise, and stress affects my sleep patterns.

Advertisement