Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy - Paying for satellite

• 04-08-2018 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Deleted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

DarScull wrote: »
    As a tenant in a shared house, if there is no tv provided in the house, do we legally have to pay the satellite bills if we were not the ones who purchased the channels for the house?

Do you have a tenancy agreement? If so what does that say about bills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

DarScull wrote:
    As a tenant in a shared house, if there is no tv provided in the house, do we legally have to pay the satellite bills if we were not the ones who purchased the channels for the house?

Why would you pay for a subscription tv service if you have no tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

In short no.

Never ever pay any bills that are not in your name...but

In shared situation you would be expected to pay your share for electricity etc, but yeah these contracts are not holding much value in actual law.

Just pay esb, gas, oil and bins which are utilities and let whoever started sky sub paying that including TV license.

Strange story. We had a small tv when I arrived courtesy of the landlord. I brought in my big tv from home soon after. I tried to get the landlord to pay for a tv license this week and add it to our bill. He said we don't need a license pretty much.

He came today while I was out and took his tv. So I'm taking mine back home as well so he can't blame me for the tv license or whatever. So we have no tv but we would be paying for satelitte.

Bizarre. Why would you ask the landlord to pay instead of doing it yourself... It is not the owner to pay for the license. It is the user ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I pay the landlord. The contract was already in place when I moved in.

Why don't you just ask him to cancel it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Honestly it's because there's 5 of us in the house and I don't want to be shafted and pay the whole thing myself.

So collect the money before you pay for the licence. Doesn't seem that difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Did somebody order the Playboy channel on the qt ?

My ideal situation is to have the tv license, and the satellite and be using it. It's the shadiness of the landlord that's my problem. And added to that, all this stuff really happened in the last 36 hours!

My ideal situation is to live in a house where all the bills are paid for me and the fridge is kept stocked with all the food and beer I need but that's probably not going to happen. Your landlord isn't the one using the tv and satellite so why should he pay for it?
    I'm guessing this is your first home away from home?

Effects wrote: »
    So collect the money before you pay for the licence. Doesn't seem that difficult.

It actually not always that easy...

Just check with other residents if they are willing to have a TV and willing to pay for the whole year in advance.

You put your name on license and regardless what happens you are the one liable for renewal so keep it in mind if anyone moves in or out.

It's a pain as nobody will offer to pay you anything in reality, or maybe, just maybe pay you monthly.

aido79 wrote: »
    My ideal situation is to live in a house where all the bills are paid for me and the fridge is kept stocked with all the food and beer I need but that's probably not going to happen. Your landlord isn't the one using the tv and satellite so why should he pay for it?
    Well I get your point but what if it is the top of the range sky sub adding 100 or more to the rent...

TV license to be paid by tenants is expected. Sky sub should be optional.

Or none provided and let the tenants deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DarScull

I think the content of the original post has been strayed from unfortunately. Thanks everyone for the help offered. Heat of the moment stuff really.

This thread can be closed or deleted.

wonski wrote: »
    Well I get your point but what if it is the top of the range sky sub adding 100 or more to the rent...

TV license to be paid by tenants is expected. Sky sub should be optional.

Or none provided and let the tenants deal with it.

Sky sub should definitely be optional and as a landlord I would never consider supplying either a tv or satellite for tenants. However the OP has said he wants the satellite sub but doesn't seem to want to pay for it.

It is all kind of confusing tbh...

OP, speak to the landlord, either agree a fee for using the TV service or not.

Unless the TV and sky was included in the rental agreement, you will have to either pay for it, or get rid of it.

The owner cannot ask you to pay for it if you don't want it. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

aido79 wrote: »

I would be interested in that type of rental arrangement also. Do you think we could add a supply of hookers to the arrangement?

Advertisement