Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kerryman3

Think that was referring to my quote

11k for 4kwp (actually 4.5kwp) with 5kwh hybrid battery, hot water diverter and non essential load config, including ber.

12k for same system but 6kwp solar.

Prices are including vat but excluding grant, so take away 3,800 from either price to get the end cost to you.
    Hi wexfordman2, Could you pm me your installer too if not too much trouble? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Kerryman3 wrote:
    Hi wexfordman2, Could you pm me your installer too if not too much trouble? Thanks.

Me too please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kerryman3

niallers1 wrote: »
    10k for 4.2kw with 4.8kwh battery.

Hi Niallers, could you pm me your installation company also please, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Sooo finally got the dongle so can get some online graphs.
    Didn't go the grant route as I wouldn't have been able to put up the panels I wanted on the roof based on their limitations.

3.3 kW system
    Solis Hybrid Inverter 3.6kW
    11 JA Solar 300W Panels

Will install the battery when I get the money together for it. Will use the grant for that as I installed with that in mind (cable back to fuseboard for back up and hybrid inverter)

Ignore the mess, I've tidied up since I swear!

Southish Facing

South by Southwest Facing

So as per usual the sun hasn't shone since the day I installed.

Massive consumption of 2kwh today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Didn't go the grant route as I wouldn't have been able to put up the panels I wanted on the roof based on their limitations.

3.3 kW system
    11 JA Solar 300W Panels

Will install the battery when I get the money together for it. Will use the grant for that as I installed with that in mind (cable back to fuseboard for back up and hybrid inverter)

Southish Facing

Nice ine Gary, hope it goes well for you. My generation today was 3.5kwh with a 6kwp system .

What logger are you using ? I've noticed a lot of people are able to post up graphs and plots, but I can't figure out how to do itm. I am using the solarman app.

Nice ine Gary, hope it goes well for you. My generation today was 3.5kwh with a 6kwp system .

What logger are you using ? I've noticed a lot of people are able to post up graphs and plots, but I can't figure out how to do itm. I am using the solarman app.

Ginlong. as I have the solis inverter.

Have you registered on: http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Register/Regi_Pub.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got my brand new Solis 3.6kW inverter myself in the post yesterday. Ready to be installed by an electrician at the weekend :)

Still contemplating an AC side battery + storage inverter to avail of the €1k subsidy, but will have to be up and running in my new setup first before I make a further assessment.

Anyone watch that programme tonight on rte about the deep retrofit grant?

Would it really take about 30,000 euro (30,000 euro from home owner and a 30,000 grant) to go from a E rating to A rating?

Ours is rated at D1 so would probably be in that price range!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

3.3 kW system
    11 JA Solar 300W Panels

Southish Facing

What did it cost you in the end?

You said getting all the panels would have effected you getting the grant. Can you clarify?

I'm relooking at mine. Forking out 8k is starting to get me to question the specs I was getting.
    What's the minimum of need? Need to be able to have essential load for a well.

Can someone give me ballpark cost of a 2kw battery. Quotes I'm getting aren't granular enough for me.

2.4kWh battery is EUR950 + VAT. Install less than an hour. Subsidy is EUR1000.

Beware you either need a hybrid inverter to hook the battery up on the DC side, or a dedicated battery inverter if you hook it up on the AC side

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would it really take about 30,000 euro (30,000 euro from home owner and a 30,000 grant) to go from a E rating to A rating?

Yes. Complete gutting of existing house.
    Air tightness.
    Insulation
    New heat and hot water system.
    Plumbing and electrics afterwards.
    Windows, doors

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

our energy works is closer to 90k total...

Includes new windows though.

I wanted to go with a builder service provider as there is other work I want done, however there are certain items where he's taking the pi$$ (6k for PV for example)

Also the DCV they are planning is not Aereco but "Innovent" or something - told me on the phone.

Don't think the SEAI are capable of looking out for value either. He's said they will check for value when assessing the application - though I'm starting to think that means they will cap the grant and expect me to pick up the slack. He can go and jump if that's the case - I'll withdraw from scheme and fill up the old oil tank...

What did it cost you in the end?

You said getting all the panels would have effected you getting the grant. Can you clarify?

I'm relooking at mine. Forking out 8k is starting to get me to question the specs I was getting.
    What's the minimum of need? Need to be able to have essential load for a well.

Can someone give me ballpark cost of a 2kw battery. Quotes I'm getting aren't granular enough for me.

About 4200 in the end.

There's a limitation on the panels being 0.5m in from each roof side which as you can see from the photos isn't the case for me. I've heard that doesn't really matter but most costs were coming in around 8 with grant anyway so it saved me forking out money and waiting for the grant to come back anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

unkel wrote: »
    2.4kWh battery is EUR950 + VAT. Install less than an hour. Subsidy is EUR1000.

Beware you either need a hybrid inverter to hook the battery up on the DC side, or a dedicated battery inverter if you hook it up on the AC side

So,the battery is €1,230,installation €200 i guess. Back at soem point, €1,000.

How much is a hybrid inverter on its own plus the installation (removal and fitting),please .
    Can you "dump" the older inverter back on the market ?

5kW solis hybrid inverter is about 1200+VAT

I guess a callout charge incl one hours labour for about 80+VAT to replace your current inverter

Of course you can sell on your old inverter. I have 2 for sale myself on adverts.ie :)

If I'm going battery, I'll go the AC side myself. Maybe later this year.

18 Panels
    5.85kW System + Battery

€1,500 plus VAT = €13,053 - SEAI Grant of €,800 = €9,253

kceire wrote: »
    18 Panels
    5.85kW System + Battery

€1,500 plus VAT = €13,053 - SEAI Grant of €,800 = €9,253

Any eddi with it ?

My quote was comming in at 12k inc vat before grant for similar

Any eddi with it ?

My quote was comming in at 12k inc vat before grant for similar

No mention of Eddi in their FB post. But tbh, I’d rather a battery than eddi. Eddi saves pennies, the battery has the potential to save a decent chunk.

For example, today my system generated 6.44kwh.
    2.96kwh went to the immersion by way of Eddi divertor.
    The balance powered the base load but I guarantee you most of the balance went back to the grid for free.

If I had a battery, say a 5kwh one, I could have filled that and my
    House would have been powered until tomorrow morning off grid. I could have heated the water for a small amount using the immersion or gas boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Wexfordman2, could you pm me your installer please? Still seems to be the best deal around.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    No mention of Eddi in their FB post. But tbh, I’d rather a battery than eddi. Eddi saves pennies, the battery has the potential to save a decent chunk.

For example, today my system generated 6.44kwh.
    2.96kwh went to the immersion by way of Eddi divertor.
    The balance powered the base load but I guarantee you most of the balance went back to the grid for free.

If I had a battery, say a 5kwh one, I could have filled that and my
    House would have been powered until tomorrow morning off grid. I could have heated the water for a small amount using the immersion or gas boiler.

Yep,

Mine is with battery (6kwh) plus eddi. The eddi isn't installed yet , but today's generation was 12kwh, the battery was charged last night at night rate and then kept topped up during the day as excess pv power was generated.

With 6kwh battery, it only.dischsrges to 10%, so a available.battery power is 5.4Kwh.

With that 5.4kwh, I generally find it depleted by about 8pm so far, mainly.due to early sunset times, and electric cooker comming on for supper which is high load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Yep,

Mine is with battery (6kwh) plus eddi. The eddi isn't installed yet , but today's generation was 12kwh, the battery was charged last night at night rate and then kept topped up during the day as excess pv power was generated.

With 6kwh battery, it only.dischsrges to 10%, so a available.battery power is 5.4Kwh.

With that 5.4kwh, I generally find it depleted by about 8pm so far, mainly.due to early sunset times, and electric cooker comming on for supper which is high load.
    All you need to do is turn off the lights after dinner and you're virtually self sustaining:)

Why isn't your Eddi installed?

All you need to do is turn off the lights after dinner and you're virtually self sustaining:)

Why isn't your Eddi installed?

The inverter they installed was a 3.6kw one as a temp measure until the required 6kw one came in, so they plan to finish all in one go.

They knew they were messing me about a bit with delayed install (not entirely their fault, seai had delayed some bit I believe from paperwork and sign off list etc, and they were awaiting a firmware.uograde.on prime hybrid interver which had a bug that was affecting battery system), but def they we're over stretched a bit as well. Had the owner call round to me to apologise (not a short trip for him,.so genuine enough).

He offered me as a way of apology an option of.going for a Soltaro system which had a bigger battery system, but they would install the smaller inverter short term).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

They knew they were messing me about a bit with delayed install (not entirely their fault, seai had delayed some bit I believe from paperwork and sign off list etc,).

Paperwork sign off i.e. crossing t's and dotting i's was the longest most painful part of the process for me.

E.g. Your MPRN will have one address and your Eircode might be slightly different. Electrician might use Eircode address, The application will be in under your MPRN number.

If everything doesn't match your mprn number exactly then it will delay your application. SEAI will not be proactive and tell you this . They wait for you to cop on there is an issue and for you to contact them. Then due to GDPR they won't tell you because the contractor filled out the application and not you.

I put it down to SEAI teething issues but it was very painful and delayed payment.

Tio Eddi or not to Eddi?

So I've just ordered the Zappi and Harvi.

I'm wondering for 400 or so should I go ahead and order the Eddi?

I'm guessing my return on that is LOOOONNNNGGGGG but it would mean an extra source of hot water without thinking about it. i.e. I have hot water scheduled to come on for an hour, but if during the day there are people at home (using ridiculous amounts of hot water) then by the time the kids have the baths and herself has a shower that night it's starting to get a bit chilly.

Tio Eddi or not to Eddi?

I'm guessing my return on that is LOOOONNNNGGGGG but it would mean an extra source of hot water without thinking about it. i.e. I have hot water scheduled to come on for an hour, but if during the day there are people at home (using ridiculous amounts of hot water) then by the time the kids have the baths and herself has a shower that night it's starting to get a bit chilly.

Yesterday, my system generated 12kwh and sent 7kwh of it back to the grid. It.never generated at any one time anything above 4kw, so fir a 4kw system, I lost 7kwh to the grid (my.eddi isn't installed yet).

So that's a figure for early january, I am optimistic that I will get decent levels of hot water in the summer to negate the need for using the oil.

Having a zappi changes things for you though, assuming your car will be olugged in during the day.

• Advertisement

Yesterday, my system generated 12kwh and sent 7kwh of it back to the grid. It.never generated at any one time anything above 4kw, so fir a 4kw system, I lost 7kwh to the grid (my.eddi isn't installed yet).

So that's a figure for early january, I am optimistic that I will get decent levels of hot water in the summer to negate the need for using the oil.

Having a zappi changes things for you though, assuming your car will be olugged in during the day.

Only plugged in at weekends so ideally would take excess then (not sure how much if we're home I guess?).

During the week, no one is home, resting power is 300w, I have a good chunk of excess too out of the 4kw generated yesterday maybe 2kw dumped, 0.25 litres of oil, 20 cent basically.

Alternatively I could look at it:

=> €400 (cost of eddi) = 500 litres of oil = 4000kwh

You know I have argued against an immersion diverter in the past, GaryCocs. But if you have a large (>=4kwp) PV system (and no EV plugged in during the day much and none or a very small battery), they start to make sense.

You know I have argued against an immersion diverter in the past, GaryCocs. But if you have a large (>=4kwp) PV system (and no EV plugged in during the day much and none or a very small battery), they start to make sense.

Yup. I remember you saying it and 4000kwh is a lot to make up all right. Especially if I have solar thermal (a right dose) already.

I think it's the combination of a cold shower and excess yesterday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tio Eddi or not to Eddi?

I believe the life time if the Eddi is shorter than the pay back

They said the average heating bill is 2,500!!!! Our standard 3 bed semi built in 83 is 600 a year with gas!!

That’s 100 years payback !!

• Advertisement

You will I went from April to October in 2018 without turning my gas boiler on at all. I generated all the hot water needs from the panels. I posted about it in real time on these forums too.

ted1 wrote: »
    I believe the life time if the Eddi is shorter than the pay back

That of course depends on how many units the Eddi sends to the immersion in its life.

With a small system, like 2kwp, your point is probably true. With a large system (like >=4kwp), it will more than likely pay for itself well before it is dead

That of course depends on how many units the Eddi sends to the immersion in its life.

With a small system, like 2kwp, your point is probably true. With a large system (like >=4kwp), it will more than likely pay for itself well before it is dead

Are you allowing for hot water that will go to waste as it’s not needed. AFASIK most people forget that they won’t need half the hot water !!

Are you allowing for hot water that will go to waste as it’s not needed. AFASIK most people forget that they won’t need half the hot water !!

But does the same not apply to heating water by other means ?

You wouldn't install a hot water diverter if you use very little hot water. Also with modern cylinders the heat loss is minimal. My 360l cylinder loses just 1 degree C per 24h

I would like my solar panels ( not installed yet) to heat the water and the radiators and also have backup electricity stored.

Is this setup even possible?

But does the same not apply to heating water by other means ?

No. It doesn’t. Because ither firms would be classed as dispatchable. In July if I don’t need hot water I won’t heat it with gas or mains elec with a divertir it’ll heat the eater even if you are away for two weeks

No. It doesn’t. Because ither firms would be classed as dispatchable. In July if I don’t need hot water I won’t heat it with gas or mains elec with a divertir it’ll heat the eater even if you are away for two weeks

Fair point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I would like my solar panels ( not installed yet) to heat the water and the radiators and also have backup electricity stored.

I talked to company and they mentioned infrared heater, they can be disguised in the house as picture, excess electricity is used by the heaters....in that case it wouldn’t heat the water

Trying to use excess electricity to heat water for heating would have a similar affect as peeing into a lake to try and warm it up :-)

Better off looking at infrared or heat pump

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

The inverter is smaller as well, mine is/will be a 5kw inverter. Double check it is the right size , itcould be a typing error.

Hi, can you PM me company you used, thinking of adding battery to my 5kw panels, thnks

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I talked to company and they mentioned infrared heater, they can be disguised in the house as picture, excess electricity is used by the heaters....in that case it wouldn’t heat the water

Trying to use excess electricity to heat water for heating would have a similar affect as peeing into a lake to try and warm it up :-)

Better off looking at infrared or heat pump

It's the same kWh, if you use it to heat water or air doesn't make any difference ;)

You are looking for a system to heat your house during times when the max heat requirement (winter and night time) conincide with the lowest possible availability of your power source.

It's the same kWh, if you use it to heat water or air doesn't make any difference ;)

The infrared heater works better, according to this company, it doesn't heat the air, it heats object....something like that

The amount of water in my heating system it would take a huge amount of electricity to heat it to any level to heat the house

My latest pricing

10 Panels (3.25kw) of PV and 5.6kwh of Prime Hybrid Battery Storage = €9,500 + VAT (13.5%) = €10,783
    This would allow you to reclaim €3,240 from SEAI for the install = €7,543

13 Panels (4.25kw) of PV and 5.6kwh of Prime Hybrid Battery Storage = €10,250 + VAT = €11,634
    Reclaim €3,800 from SEAI = €7,834

18 panels (5.85kw) of PV and 5.6kwh of Prime Hybrid Battery Storage = €11,500 + VAT = €13,053
    Reclaim €3,800 from SEAI = €9,253

The infrared heater works better, according to this company, it doesn't heat the air, it heats object....something like that

The amount of water in my heating system it would take a huge amount of electricity to heat it to any level to heat the house

You didn't get my point then. And you'd rather believe a company trying to sell you something :p

You didn't get my point then. And you'd rather believe a company trying to sell you something :p

No I wouldn't. that's why I mentioned "according to the company" ;)

A2W would be a lot better option for heating the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭conor_mc

IR heats you, as an object. It’s not any more or less effective at heating than rads, it’s just that you can walk into a cold room, switch it on and feel the heat yourself. Switch it off and the room is still cold. Any “savings” in efficiency really only come from using it more directly and thus running it for less time.

In solar terms, IR can heat other objects with thermal mass (e.g. a granite worktop) which will indirectly release the heat into the space in due course, but that’s no better than having a rad doing the same. It’s a poor match for solar PV really, from what I can tell, unless coupled with a battery.

My latest pricing

10 Panels (3.25kw) of PV and 5.6kwh of Prime Hybrid Battery Storage = €9,500 + VAT (13.5%) = €10,783
    This would allow you to reclaim €3,240 from SEAI for the install = €7,543

13 Panels (4.25kw) of PV and 5.6kwh of Prime Hybrid Battery Storage = €10,250 + VAT = €11,634
    Reclaim €3,800 from SEAI = €7,834

18 panels (5.85kw) of PV and 5.6kwh of Prime Hybrid Battery Storage = €11,500 + VAT = €13,053
    Reclaim €3,800 from SEAI = €9,253

Your 18 panels system, does it come with an eddi ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

IMO, using the excess to heat water is a better choice, since it will be used year round. Any IR heating of the living space won't be needed in the summer, so all the excess would be sent to the grid in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Hi every one

So if someone goes diy route including getting separate electrician to hook the system to board . What is the cost difference or saving compared to the professional installer with grant.

Advertisement