Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    No, it doesnt! :)

Unless I've missed your point completely.... In the example you give above all you have done is shifted some of your night rate electricity from one hour to another(or at least for the 70% portion).... no net gain there!

Duh, don't know what I was thinking there. Logic fail :o:D

Would need to have a look at the PV generation on a bright sunny day in summer between 9-11AM, but it might generate quite a bit at that stage, which would invalidate the night rate battery cycling argument. Well it would for the few summer months anyway on bright days. Should easily enough get a full cycle in the 6 months of winter time when night rate stops at 8AM I reckon, but this argument would bring the pay back period up a few years.

Unless you can cycle more than once on average during the day. Niallers1' data looks quite hopeful that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zdragon

unkel wrote: »
    Because instead of using the diverter, you can heat your water with an efficient gas or oil boiler (if you have one), which costs about 4c/kWh

In a similar vein, charging your car (or running your dish washer) is worth 8c/kWh because instead of with solar PV, you could charge your car at night at the night rate, which costs 8c/kWh

the cheapest gas I've seen is 5 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zdragon

Its really down to the cost of those systems. The hot water diverters tend to be in the order of €500 to get/install.

You'll heat ALOT of hot water for that €500 via gas etc.

Technically you can put up so much Solar PV and batteries and diverters that you can go off-grid... the sticking point in all cases is making it work financially.
    I guess my maths are correct. stupid calculations tell me that even when all 4kw of solar is consumed , the payoff is 9 years. but real world distribution of generated solar concludes that solar is waste of money. as a household will never be able to consume efficiently what was generated on the roof.

zdragon wrote: »
    the cheapest gas I've seen is 5 cents

Pedantic much? So it will save you 5c then instead of the "about 4c" I mentioned :rolleyes:
    zdragon wrote: »
    a household will never be able to consume efficiently what was generated on the roof.

I use every single kWh that my solar PV produces and my savings are fully at the higher rate too, can't get more efficient than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Guys..at this time of the day,you are wasting very valuable electrons typing things that does not makes sense...such as a PV array with a battery backup.

We will have to wait maybe another 3 years until those magic pieces of engineering called "deep cycle PV storage batteries" will be taken of the conspiracy theories benches and made public to all of us. But that will mean a big loss for some other industries so dunno... lets see where that path will take us... sorry for going offline on a offgrid topic !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Eddi on it's way! Will be interesting to see what this does for oil consumption (probably very little), but I'm all about the planet . . I swear :D

Has anybody got a list of or a link to the SEAI approved Solar PV installers handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

https://www.seai.ie/resources/find-a-registered-professional/Solar-PV-Installers-Register.pdf

New looking at PV and not much available roof space for more tha 2kw. Interested in why you say the Eddi isn’t going to last on a small set up

I found the list a few days ago, but thanks for sharing :)
    spose wrote: »
    New looking at PV and not much available roof space for more tha 2kw. Interested in why you say the Eddi isn’t going to last on a small set up

It will never save you the EUR500 it costs to install on a 2kwp system. The bigger your PV system, the more it saves. I'd say if you have a 4kwp system or bigger, it could be worth your while.

• Advertisement

I'll say ..lets close the issue with PVs and the diverter.
    There are three aspects that we can look at:

Technology,I can say is there, is mature and very reliable.
    I'm talking about the few major players that have shops and back end support in Ireland and in UK
    The devices are working, some of them have reporting, logging and web based applications while others just a small local display/

Sourcing the diverters, online and off the shelf available locations in Ireland and UK.
    They are designed and certified to work on Irish grid networks and independent of the inverter.

Installation and cost
    They can be done by any electricians or any DIYers that are confident.
    A 20A RCB and appropriate cabling length, position beside the cylinder immersion element and the CT clamp in the fuse panel.
    I advise to use rechargeable batteries in the transmitter.
    Once received the device, I will say at a maxim of two hours charge and is in the place, configured and ready to divert.
    While I don't expect an electrician to configure the monitoring and / or online logging side of the device, I will not be surprised to see the opposite ..or the owner to try doing itself, with the help of RTFM.

ROi / TCO

Will cost nothing for you to run it.
    You will have manufacturer warranty standard on all products, that varies based on the device itself.
    I will say the most cost that you will encounter is the owner looking at the reporting dashboard and seeing how the system performed today...

Morality of the diverter and human factors
    Well, here some very pushing and convincing user(s) on the forum will start arguing about the kilowatt of electricity versus kilowatt power of the gas....diverter versus boiler.
    I will just ignore it for now, nothing personal or short of the offence but I will ignore just for the pure sake of asking many times if the concept of gas boiler consumption and minimum modulation is well understood and explained. A 30Kw power is not .3c to heat or to run as that boiler will have factory preset parameters to crunch before firing the gas flame to the heat exchange.
    So, based on that basic mechanical and numerical factors, I ignore the comparison

Not lastly, few days ago I forgot to set the timer for diverter. I had in that particular day almost 7KWh diverted for free to my neighbour fuse board and he paid the cost of 7 x .20c to the electricity provider and at all towards my PV system.
    So, not being or saying anything wrong to SEAI and / or ESB, they are doing their economical living rationale as a company... but I just don't feel green enough with my own pocket cash to subsidy my street with free energy from my PVs.
    So, as a battery storage solution is out of any logical conversation today (maybe tomorrow or the day after) I see only valid option to store that surplus on my own boundary, financial and moral. Why the "corporate" went against the FIT !??? Because they are counting on grants and the people to install tons of KW and get that surplus for free on to their networks and finally, to charge my street for the consumption, even in their books or on their reading meters that will be seen as a invalid surplus...imagine a LTD company having a surplus of thousands or euros in their bank account and being unable to explain to Revenue auditors the provenience or the where about... Free FIt for others.

For the past 30 days, a fifth of my generated PV energy went to grid for free, 200KWh produced and 50KWh exported. Only by my own errors that happened as I forgot to turn-on diverter scheduler for the good days,i have it off for winter as wasn't enough PV to have it on.
    I don't really mind as the solar tubes will compensate for the diverter workings...

I can upload graphs and generated numbers but, let me ask you something first...
    New owner of a subsidized PV system. Lets assume a standard 2 KW installed power, something similar.
    It will cost you nothing to include the €400 now, at the time of the installation for the diverter, as you doing the mess in the house at the same time.

Now, will it be the same to spend over €500 after a month or six months or more !? NO
    Will you feel comfortable knowing that "today", your system gives free energy ,whatever amount is it and you're losing it !? MAYBE

Whatever way you decide to heat it, your choice.
    I've made mine 3 years ago and I never regret it.
    I think I was the first with a diverter installed around here.
    I have no shares or financial gains in diverters or gas boiler industries but just trying to make a case for common sense.
    If FIT was there ,yes diverter may have become secondary to smaller systems. Or most of them.
    But with "free" FIT to grid and no financial back-up pay to owner, even a 2 KW array summer time will get that cylinder working for free during day time with good harvest results. It goes back to your house. Goes back to your cylinder. Stays in back pocket. Saves owner bills.
    Even if is only 8 months out of 12.

Have fun and be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Hi Guys,

As I m about to future proof my house with solar power. I got a quotation today from Energlaze on installing following:

10x peimar 300w allback panels
    3kw 3000sph hybrid inverter
    4.8kw battery storage
    zappi car charging point (free until 28th Feb)

price breakdow as follows:
    11,995 inc vat
    -3,100 grant

net cost 8895

once i have EV purchased further grant of 600 e applied.

that brings down over all solar panel system down to 8,295.

So my question is: is this a good deal or is it a rip off, should i shop around for better deal?
    thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

As I m about to future proof my house with solar power. I got a quotation today from Energlaze on installing following:

4.8kw battery storage

11,995 inc vat
    -3,100 grant

net cost 8895

So my question is: is this a good deal or is it a rip off, should i shop around for better deal?
    thanks in advance!

Seems expensive to me.
    Mine is 14*300w panels
    5kw Solis hybrid inverter
    4.8kw pylontech battery storage
    About 9.8k or 6k after Grant.
    Had to pay for a B.E.R. myself

No such thing as getting something for free. You are being charged for the "free" item in the price quouted.

niallers1 wrote: »
    Seems expensive to me.
    Mine is 14*300w panels
    5kw Solis hybrid inverter
    4.8kw pylontech battery storage
    About 9.8k or 6k after Grant.
    Had to pay for a B.E.R. myself

what company done installation of your system if you dont mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

what company done installation of your system if you dont mind?

Not sure if we are allowed to say openly.
    PM me for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you sure about that? Sounds like an over enthusiastic salesman to me.

To get that charge point grant you need to apply for it BEFORE you do any work and you dont get the grant unless you can prove you have an EV bought so I dont believe you can retrospectively apply for the grant.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that? Sounds like an over enthusiastic salesman to me.

To get that charge point grant you need to apply for it BEFORE you do any work and you dont get the grant unless you can prove you have an EV bought so I dont believe you can retrospectively apply for the grant.

i have official quotation with EV port installation included. and grant apparently i can claim only after EV purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

i have official quotation with EV port installation included. and grant apparently i can claim only after EV purchase.

I'd get them to double check. AFAIK you cant retrospectively apply for that grant.

The fine print is here:
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/
    "Do not commence any work before the start date on your Letter of Offer otherwise this expenditure will be deemed ineligible and you will not receive grant support for it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hi Guys,

4.8kw battery storage

11,995 inc vat
    -3,100 grant

net cost 8895

thanks in advance!

5.85 kwp solar (18 panels)
    5kw soltaro hybrid inverter
    6kwh battery
    Eddi hot water diverter
    Ber

12k b4 grant, 8,200 after grant.

5.85 kwp solar (18 panels)
    5kw soltaro hybrid inverter
    6kwh battery
    Eddi hot water diverter
    Ber

12k b4 grant, 8,200 after grant.

thats mighty good deal! who installed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thoughts folks?

I've got some quotes to mull over. Been quoted for standard glass on foil panels, and for more expensive glass on glass panels with a better warranty.

These prices are all after grant.

Cheaper panels (Peimar):
    4kw with 2.4kwh battery - €4550
    4kw with 4.8kwh battery - €5800

5kw with 2.4kwh battery - €6050
    5kw with 4.8kwh battery - €7300

Premium panels (Solarwatt)
    4kw with 2.4kwh battery - €6150
    4kw with 4.8kwh battery - €7400

5kw with 2.4kwh battery - €7300
    5kw with 4.8kwh battery - €8550

Battery and inverter are both by Growatt, 10 years warranty on inverter, 5 year on the battery.

The Peimar panels are guaranteed for 20 years to retain minimum 80% capacity.

The Solarwatt are guaranteed for 30 years for 87% capacity. The Solarwatt are also guaranteed against salt/corrosion.

I do have a high usage, averaging about 11 units per day and 15 per night (night rate tariff). Have some heavy use stuff like electric car charging (usually overnight) and a 400l tropical fish tank 24/7. Average bi-monthly bill is about €170 in summer and €230 in winter.

Thise prices also include immersion diverter (can be removed to drop the price by €450).
    just sent you a PM, could you send me the name of the company please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Hi All,

Just out of curiosity I have been looking into solar power and trying to find a solution with batteries and solar panels where during summer the battery can be powered by the solar and discharged when needed. But during the winter that it can be charged on night rate and discharged during day rate.

I think I found an MPPT Hybrid Inverter that would suit, Solis 5kw Hybrid Inverter RHI-5K-48es. See below snippet from the installation manual. What do you all think, it would help reduce payback time.

Solis Manual.PNG

What do you all think, would it help much to reduce payback time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just out of curiosity I have been looking into solar power and trying to find a solution with batteries and solar panels where during summer the battery can be powered by the solar and discharged when needed. But during the winter that it can be charged on night rate and discharged during day rate.

I think I found an MPPT Hybrid Inverter that would suit, Solis 5kw Hybrid Inverter RHI-5K-48es. See below snippet from the installation manual. What do you all think, it would help reduce payback time.

Solis Manual.PNG

What do you all think, would it help much to reduce payback time?
    You're absolutely right on this. In the winter months, the batteries will hardly get used at all, and you would set the TIME CHARGING on that inverter to RUN. Just be careful - on the bottom line on that menu there is an option for DISCHARGE TIME - which is for countries where you might get rewarded generously to export power during peak times (dream on :rolleyes:). Make sure the start and finish times on that option are the same so that total hours are zero.

As this particular unit also has a UPS function I had assumed the discharge time would be for providing power to the house and not the grid? I know a certain amount of the battery can be used as a reserve.

Does anybody know how this charger would work with something like the Zappi charger? I have an electric car where I'd love the excess to also go to it also.

rolion wrote: »
    I'll say ..lets close the issue with PVs and the diverter.

I have a question about diverters. If your PV system is 2kw and it tabes 0.5kw to run your house in standby when you are not there. Then your immersion is 3kw. To turn on the immersion is no not going to take 1.5ke from the PV and another 1.5kw from the mains in order to power the 3kw switch?

At that rate is the diverter not pointless I’d you are on night rate where you can charger the water at half rate anyway?

No the diverter has monitoring equipment and controls how much energy is diverted. So it only diverts what you would potentially send to the grid.

So if you are generating 2kw and using 0.5kw then the diverter would send 1.5kw to the immersion.

As this particular unit also has a UPS function I had assumed the discharge time would be for providing power to the house and not the grid? I know a certain amount of the battery can be used as a reserve.

Does anybody know how this charger would work with something like the Zappi charger? I have an electric car where I'd love the excess to also go to it also.
    Nope - the discharge time is for exporting from batteries. Something you don't want to do.

I don't know about Zappi. It works with iBoost. The issue is the "export threshold" - the amount of power the clamp will allow to export before it kick in. On this unit, the threshold is 70 watts. The iBoost cuts in at about 100 watts, so it is fine and the battery takes priority. Other diversion units cut in at 50 watts, so the battery ends up filling the immersion. You want to be sure any diverter you use, heat or car charging, has a theshold of 100 watts or more.

Nope - the discharge time is for exporting from batteries. Something you don't want to do.

I don't know about Zappi. It works with iBoost. The issue is the "export threshold" - the amount of power the clamp will allow to export before it kick in. On this unit, the threshold is 70 watts. The iBoost cuts in at about 100 watts, so it is fine and the battery takes priority. Other diversion units cut in at 50 watts, so the battery ends up filling the immersion. You want to be sure any diverter you use, heat or car charging, has a threshold of 100 watts or more.

OK I see what you mean, so basically just set it to charge during the night time when it is cheap and don't set anything for discharge and that way you make the most out of the battery during the winter months when there is no solar.

So when it comes to the diversion devices and battery charging you just need to know the thresholds in which the kick in so that they can be prioritized as such. I was looking at an Eddi also which works with the Zappi, it can be set as a secondary priority to the Zappi. So it would be battery, Zappi then the eddi (immerson). Although I'm not sure if I'd get the Eddi as the payback could take far too long, the price is far too high!

Thanks for the info.

Kaskade wrote: »
    I have a question about diverters. If your PV system is 2kw and it tabes 0.5kw to run your house in standby when you are not there. Then your immersion is 3kw. To turn on the immersion is no not going to take 1.5ke from the PV and another 1.5kw from the mains in order to power the 3kw switch?

At that rate is the diverter not pointless I’d you are on night rate where you can charger the water at half rate anyway?

The diverter has a smart circuit / controller that does the maths for you.
    Is working fine on a resistive immersion element as it can "warm-up" with few watts or few kilowatts". Thats not applicable to any other appliances which will require a minimum wattage to run.

If you want to start the war between day time and night time,electricity versus gas,@unkel is your man.
    It will be pitty that most of the year, your paid off your pocket PV system to generate excess electricity and given for free to Mr. Grid.
    No the diverter has monitoring equipment and controls how much energy is diverted. So it only diverts what you would potentially send to the grid.

So if you are generating 2kw and using 0.5kw then the diverter would send 1.5kw to the immersion.

Corect.The diverter keeps few watts for himself so a small diference in there.
    Also,in stand-by consumes around 5W every 10 seconds scanning the circuits.
    There are more advanced diverters that does this switching at the one second intervalks,i think.
    Once PV generation is less than the a preset value,cuts off the output to immersion.
    Same, when it detects an apliance powered on in the house, adjusted dynamically the power to immersion to match the PV generation (without exceeding it) or switches off completely the output, to immersion.
    As attached.

475425.jpg

Rolion, I take it that you have some sort of boost installed, if so do you ever get full tanks out of it or do you have to boost it?

Rolion, I take it that you have some sort of boost installed, if so do you ever get full tanks out of it or do you have to boost it?

For me is a bit different as i have the solar tubes as well,heating the 300l cylinder. Once the cylinder reaches 70 degress (from tubes or immersion),it switches off the diverter with "HotTank" warning.

For a typical 2KW minimum installed array power,i am assuming in 8 months of the year's 12 months, you will have excess PV going to immersion OR to grid (less in cloudy days and in weekend)

I am going offtopic here...sorry !
    The main thermodynamic advantage of the immersion element is that the cold 13 degrees water in the bottom of the cylinder is getting "thermo kicked" to maybe 25-30 degrees by the PVs via immersion ellement. That "magic" boost makes the immersion viable and efficient as the main heating system (gas boiler via cylinder's integrated larger designed efficiency coil) has to work less to heat the water to over personally accepted 50ish degrees.

Thats where the magic happens...not at the top where is over 50... taking it from 10ish and up it to 50 ish is a hardwork. However,taking it from 30 to 50 is way less work for boiler and more cash back in your pocket.
    I have a datalogger for my cilinder...i can post the graphs to show all the above variations and parameters.

https://www.vbus.net/#/diagram/12390

475433.jpg

As below,my worry is at good sunny days, by 12 midday,cylinder is hot and any further PV generation from that moment, all PV generated electricity goes to Mr Grid,for free ... as today,and yesterday and so on...
    475429.jpg

• Advertisement

For me is a bit different as i have the solar tubes as well,heating the 300l cylinder. Once the cylinder reaches 70 degress (from tubes or immersion),it switches off the diverter with "HotTank" warning.

For a typical 2KW minimum installed array power,i am assuming in 8 months of the year's 12 months, you will have excess PV going to immersion OR to grid (less in cloudy days and in weekend)

I am going offtopic here...sorry !
    The main thermodynamic advantage of the immersion element is that the cold 13 degrees water in the bottom of the cylinder is getting "thermo kicked" to maybe 25-30 degrees by the PVs via immersion ellement. That "magic" boost makes the immersion viable and efficient as the main heating system (gas boiler via cylinder's integrated larger designed efficiency coil) has to work less to heat the water to over personally accepted 50ish degrees

Are you getting those screenshots from the diverter? If so what brand or app do you use. I’m thinking of getting an Eddi to be able to program it to come on at night rate if required.

Rolion my sister has water flat panels on her roof, she said that the cost to service every 2 years makes it not worth while to use. I think she was quoted something like 200 for the service. What's it costing you?

Kaskade wrote: »
    Are you getting those screenshots from the diverter? If so what brand or app do you use. I’m thinking of getting an Eddi to be able to program it to come on at night rate if required.

I dont have Eddi.
    When i got mine,the only available on the market that had a proper switching solution was iBoost from HERE. In meantime, heard few more products appeared on the market for which i cannot discuss or review.

My reporting is done on multiple systems.
    Solar on VBus and DL datalogger
    Electricity and PVs on three different suppliers and integrated & combined to get me all the data i want.Betetr than the B737 8 Max,sadenly...
    Rolion my sister has water flat panels on her roof, she said that the cost to service every 2 years makes it not worth while to use. I think she was quoted something like 200 for the service. What's it costing you?

It could be corect,dunno to be honest.
    My tubes are being serviced by a family friend that has a professional running plumbing business for which i "return" my IT services.So, is only my time.
    The fact that i can see them working in realtime and in graphs,the belief that from May to September my boiler is off and all other time compensate to the hot water, i think that compensates the €100 per year. In hot days, we can have two full jacuzzy baths without being worried of going cold but likely "forced "to avoid system over heating...

ALSO,very important,is highly recommended to run a service call every year maybe oen hour just to check the system,even if you dont have to change any parts or fluid agents. Sort of a car NCT / DOE but for your own protection.
    Those solar tubes can reach hundreds of degrees while in operation,as below.

475436.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

ALSO,very important,is highly recommended to run a service call every year maybe oen hour just to check the system,even if you dont have to change any parts or fluid agents. Sort of a car NCT / DOE but for your own protection.
    Those solar tubes can reach hundreds of degrees while in operation,as below.

475436.jpg

thats a very high collector temp do you not have a heat dump for when system reaches max temp to keep pump runing and stop the system stagnating

The system is under massive pressure at those temps as well and the coolant will deteriorate very quickly. You are right that you need a heat dump with that too. I'm no expert but I'm quite surprised the system lets the temps go over 200C without getting relief from a heat dump :eek:

Better off spending a little bit more money up front and have a quality system like a Kingspan Thermomax system that self vents so the temp never goes above 95C. Literally no pressure on the system, no heat dump required and it means the coolant should last a good 5 years instead of 1-2 years...

Anyone have a picture of battery switch disconnector mounted on their wall?

Just wondering how others have it mounted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've decided to hold off for now and see what another year brings with technology and prices.
    It will also let me see what my utility costs are for the house.
    Only in it 6 months and got the oil range serviced last week and an upgrade done on the heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I wonder is this Grant aid to farms of any interest here, even if just for comparison. Seems to price a 6kWp solar installation at €15,500.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-tams-energy-grants-worth-e10-million-announced/

Water John wrote: »
    I wonder is this Grant aid to farms of any interest here, even if just for comparison. Seems to price a 6kWp solar installation at €15,500.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-tams-energy-grants-worth-e10-million-announced/

Would know a few people interested.

Is the grant 60% of overall installation, whatever that costs OR €9300 towards a 6kWp inc battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

IWT it's the overall installation. I was wondering was a price of €15.5K excessive?
    Panels, inverter and battery.
    I presume the higher grant might be for young farmers. the output must be used on the farm and all lighting must be changed to LED.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Would know a few people interested.

Is the grant 60% of overall installation, whatever that costs OR €9300 towards a 6kWp inc battery?
    They are assuming an installed price of €15,500 for 6kw with 4.5kwhrs of battery storage.

Looks like the sort of prices you'd get for putting solar on the Children's Hospital :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Battery working very nicely indeed, balancing out the peaks and troughs on a cloudy day.

Just wondering why it only takes in 500w even though generation is 3kw, is that a limit? Would a second battery double this?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Can you tell us what exactly your setup is?

Can you tell us what exactly your setup is?

That would help. Apologies.

3.3kw of panels + Ginlong 3.6kwh Hybrid Inverter + pylontech 2.4kwh battery

GaryCocs wrote: »
    That would help. Apologies.

3.3kw of panels + Ginlong 3.6kwh Hybrid Inverter + pylontech 2.4kwh battery

Do you have any telemetry for consumption vs export etc?

also your inverter, can it charge the battery at night?

• Advertisement

Do you have any telemetry for consumption vs export etc?

also your inverter, can it charge the battery at night?

Have some data here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l6ukigx1Zv_blFe0rGhM4B6hN5vYHNGcups3zU64ZFo/edit?usp=sharing

It actually looks like it went over 500w all right a couple of times?

Cant do screenshots as the ginlong site's graphs are still in chinese.

Looks like your installer set the max battery charge rate at 10A, meaning you only see 10A * 50V = 500W charging. This seems extremely conservative. Even with a single Pylontech you can charge / discharge it continuously at 25A (and 100A peak for just one minute). You can double that rate if you have two Pylontechs, etc.

Your inverter can discharge at 3kW, see the specs here:

linky

I would ring the installer and ask them what the story is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seanp92

Hi all,

So I’m 2 weeks in to my new PV system running , 4.2kw Solis 5kw inverter with 2.4kw battery and solar iboost diveter , all together including vat was 11,180euro. So far I’m very happy with its performance, my question is does anyone know of a better monitoring platform as the Ginlong app / web / solarmanpv monitoring has lots of bugs , system is running latest firmware but information is updated every 1min, I got solarmanpv to change this for me from 5min but still doesn’t update regularly and also information like battery percentage etc is sometimes not shown. Wonder is there any devices that would work with solis inverters etc or a better way of monitoring so I can automate usage when there is excess .

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What sort of port has it got on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seanp92

Hi,

It has RS485 and also have the WiFi stick installed ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement