Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Kerryman3 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    First quote the other day which I think a bit high, what do ye all think?

I have east west split , 1050 sq ft 3 bed semi d, 140 Litre hot water tank and gas boiler can heat rads and water.

Details were-
    10 x Denim 300Wp All-Black Mono Crystalline PV Module with 35Years Production and 35 Years Product Warranty. i.e 3kW system.
    • 1 x Solis 3.6kW Single Phase Grid Tied Hybrid Inverter
    • 1 x 3.5kW Pylontech Li-Ion Battery
    • 1 x 3.0kW Power Diverter (For Hot Water)
    • 1 x Santon Fireman Switch
    • 1 x Electrical Materials, Fuses, etc...
    • 1 x Full Install, Grid Commission and SEAI Grant paperwork’s handling.
    • 1 x Solis Wifi kit and Free Solis Monitoring portal for Life.
    • 1 x BER Assessment for SEAI Grant + 5 Years Labour Warranty

7,100 cost to me incl vat and net of grant.
    Only way this can stack up is if materials really top notch I think.

Remember, an awful lot of the stuff that they are quoting you for above are obligatory.from.their perspective,.eg fireman switch, monitoring etc
    What make is the diverter, is it an eddi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

unkel wrote: »
    Yep looks like 60A charging for the whole range from the smallest 2.5kWh battery to the biggest (yours) at 5.6kWh

For the smallest one that still represents less than 1C charging. My EV can charge at nearly 3C and has a lifetime unlimited warranty on the battery in the USA. So 1C seems more than safe and I doubt temps will be an issue with an indoors install. Another big plus over the Pylontech batteries imho

No mention of any EN50438 in the certs section though, which is "interesting" as it was installed under the SEAI grant scheme. You did get your grant back already, did you?

The installer I’m thinking of using, same as wexfordmans is quoting for installing the battery in my attic also.

I’d have had concerns about temperatures up there in the summer also.

The EN cert, or lack thereof would be a worry also I guess?

AidenL wrote: »
    The installer I’m thinking of using, same as wexfordmans is quoting for installing the battery in my attic also.

Will find out soon enough on the en cert :-)

The attic location, for me, its not so much a heat issue, its access if never need to get to it. Then again, it is directly.above the attic stairs, so not critical,.but given the option again, I would try and locate elsewhere

Just thought as well regards the certification. My inverter is a givenergy inverter, which is a rebranded renamed "Prime Hybrid" inverter, it's the exact same hardware

The prime is sold.by heatmerchants, and used by a couple of different installers, so the certification must be there, but I will confirm with my installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kerryman3

Hi all,
    First quote the other day which I think a bit high, what do ye all think?

I have east west split , 1050 sq ft 3 bed semi d, 140 Litre hot water tank and gas boiler can heat rads and water.

Details were-
    10 x Denim 300Wp All-Black Mono Crystalline PV Module with 35Years Production and 35 Years Product Warranty. i.e 3kW system.
    • 1 x Solis 3.6kW Single Phase Grid Tied Hybrid Inverter
    • 1 x 3.5kW Pylontech Li-Ion Battery
    • 1 x 3.0kW Power Diverter (For Hot Water)
    • 1 x Santon Fireman Switch
    • 1 x Electrical Materials, Fuses, etc...
    • 1 x Full Install, Grid Commission and SEAI Grant paperwork’s handling.
    • 1 x Solis Wifi kit and Free Solis Monitoring portal for Life.
    • 1 x BER Assessment for SEAI Grant + 5 Years Labour Warranty

7,100 cost to me incl vat and net of grant.
    Only way this can stack up is if materials really top notch I think.

Remember, an awful lot of the stuff that they are quoting you for above are obligatory.from.their perspective,.eg fireman switch, monitoring etc
    What make is the diverter, is it an eddi ?

Not specified on quote, from what agent said I understood they all much of a muchness.

• Advertisement

Just thought as well regards the certification. My inverter is a givenergy inverter, which is a rebranded renamed "Prime Hybrid" inverter, it's the exact same hardware

The prime is sold.by heatmerchants, and used by a couple of different installers, so the certification must be there, but I will confirm with my installer.

I’ll clarify that on Tuesday. I chatted Mark earlier, he said the operating temp is up to 55 degrees for that battery, and that cobalt based batteries are much more dangerous in an attic, but that these aren’t. Just what he said to me.

Is it down to the cobalt content?

Edit: the Prime Energy battery is good to 158 degrees F, 70 degrees C

Will find out soon enough on the en cert :-)

The attic location, for me, its not so much a heat issue, its access if never need to get to it. Then again, it is directly.above the attic stairs, so not critical,.but given the option again, I would try and locate elsewhere

My attic is floored, and easy to get to, it’s the fire risk, if any, that would concern me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

phester28 wrote: »
    If a 300w panel is 1 x 1.67 then if I'm right you can only have 7 panels before you hit the 12 square meters and require planning application for any further panels. Would this not be in excess of the SEAI grant or can you put on as many as you want up to the 6kw once planning is given

Correct. Unless you can source smaller panels.
    Guys would it be an option to have some tubes for hot water and then PV for power?

Would a diverter/ inverter be needed in this case?

SEAI ado not check the planning status, but they do get you to tick a box and confirm that you are planning compliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

kceire wrote: »
    Correct. Unless you can source smaller panels.

SEAI ado not check the planning status, but they do get you to tick a box and confirm that you are planning compliant.

Not exactly, the inspector that came to my house asked me if I was aware of planning laws , they don't ask you to confirm that you are planning compliant.

He also mentioned that SEAI are working with planning about updating the planning rules about PV size.

Regarding the 6kw. This is the max you can go on single phase. I.e. most domestic houses.

Anything bigger requires 3 phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Pylontech US3000 (3.5kWh) is a very good choice if you're only going for one battery and if you can get it for reasonable money. It can charge / discharge at 37A (1.9kW) which is 50% better than the US2000 which is mostly used.
    10 x Denim 300Wp All-Black Mono Crystalline PV Module with 35Years

Can you not fit more than 10 panels? An extra 4 panels will attract an additional €700 subsidy and costs less than €700 installed. So effectively you'd get a 4.2kW system for the same price as a 3kW system.

• Advertisement

The Pylontech US3000 (3.5kWh) is a very good choice if you're only going for one battery and if you can get it for reasonable money. It can charge / discharge at 37A (1.9kW) which is 50% better than the US2000 which is mostly used.

Can you not fit more than 10 panels? An extra 4 panels will attract an additional €700 subsidy and costs less than €700 installed. So effectively you'd get a 4.2kW system for the same price as a 3kW system.

That's one of the reasons I went with 4.2kw over 3kw system.
    I had the space and they were going to be up on the roof so made sense.

I installed without any subsidies and believe me if I could have installed 6kW, I would have :)

With subsidies it's a no brainer. Go for at least 4kW if you have the space. And if you can fit more, fit even more! Even if you don't have the roof space, I would seriously consider a ground mount array.

I emailed the installer this morning re the en cert, wasnt expecting a reply till Tuesday, but he just sent me a copy of it, so it is certified, including the Irish requirement.

Edit:.that's the cert for the givenergy inverter (Same unit as the prime hybrid inverter).

I emailed the installer this morning re the en cert, wasnt expecting a reply till Tuesday, but he just sent me a copy of it, so it is certified, including the Irish requirement.

Edit:.that's the cert for the givenergy inverter (Same unit as the prime hybrid inverter).

Good stuff !

Does your attic get very hot in the summer? I wouldn't have thought twice about this, e except for the other company which quoted me wanted to fit the inverter and batteries in my garage.

Cert attached that they sent me

niallers1 wrote: »

What ye are saying there makes sense. 10 panels is what the assessor came up with based on the figures for my house, including also average usage of 12.2 units per day since September when I moved in.
    I estimated roof space from inside the attic, it’s at least 5.8 by 4.2 metres each side giving total roof space of at least 49.2 metres squared. So should be able to manage 8 panels each side without going over the 50% limit.
    In a housing estate so don’t want to go over 50 % of roof space, not getting planning permission and trust I’ll get retention permission if anyone objected.

What ye are saying there makes sense. 10 panels is what the assessor came up with based on the figures for my house, including also average usage of 12.2 units per day since September when I moved in.
    I estimated roof space from inside the attic, it’s at least 5.8 by 4.2 metres each side giving total roof space of at least 49.2 metres squared. So should be able to manage 8 panels each side without going over the 50% limit.
    In a housing estate so don’t want to go over 50 % of roof space, not getting planning permission and trust I’ll get retention permission if anyone objected.

I agree the Pylon-tech 3.5 kWh battery seems like good value, only marginally more expensive than the 2.4 kWh battery in one suppliers website I looked at- haven’t checked prices carefully yet tho.

I agree the Pylon-tech 3.5 kWh battery seems like good value, only marginally more expensive than the 2.4 kWh battery in one suppliers website I looked at- haven’t checked prices carefully yet tho.

• Advertisement

Apologies for multiple posts there folks ðŸ™

So, I will probably end up going for this system - 12k less the grant, so 8200 nett.

18 x Q-Cell Solar PV Modules/Panels 325W
    1 x 5kw Hybrid Inverters
    1 x 5.6kw Hybrid Batteries
    1 x Eddi Power Diverter
    Emergency Isolation
    BER Assessment
    Warranty

Associated Materials: Roof Mounting System, Cabling and AC and DC Isolators.

Design, Supply, Installation, Commissioning and Handover of the complete Solar PV system.

PLUS
    Upload all required documentation and photographs to SEAI Application System website to enable release of Grant if applicable.

Givenergy Inverter and battery, same as wexfordman2.

No mention of essential load wiring, I will have to check that.

It’s good weather for PV at the moment!

It’s good weather for PV at the moment!

It's been good all month. I'm using approx 1 kwh from the grid each day over the past month.

Today I gave most of it away. Diverter would be handy.

It's been good all month. I'm using approx 1 kwh from the grid each day over the past month.

Today I gave most of it away. Diverter would be handy.

Similar here, although about 3kwh from grid, with about 2kwh of that the idle mode night time use after the battery has died. Expect that to reduce as the days get longer and the solar keeps the battery charged till after midnight.

My diverter is consuming about 6kwh of our excess solar, so piping hot water very day now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

Well its been 12 months exactly since I had my panels installed, and I have managed to get 2.13 MWh from 2.08 kW of panels which I am very happy with.

My overall consumption has actually gone up slightly for the year but that is due to the addition of an EV and 2 small babies to the household.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Good days for PV well spotted... better for environment and laughing numbers for ESB network' bonus scheme ! But ,after watching the movie /documentary " Age of Stupid",i decided to dont get angry with the world and the Mr Grid bonus fake FIT in their filthy pockets... i let the green energy flows in the grid hoping i will power few houses on the road,making them greener for the time to come, for my kids and for their kids ! And for those that financially enjoy unlawful my greeeei, i can say that they will not take the bonuses in the ground with them,their conscience will be dirtier than the sky /air sometimes,today...

I've managed to turn off the gas boiler last week,no hot water and no heat needed so far.
    Solar PVs are doing magic and the diverter turns off itself at noon time with "Hot Tank" message as the solar tubes are warming up the tank at 70 degrees, top to bottom.
    Day time,using very few tens of kilowatts as most is produced by the PVs.
    Evening,cooking randomly takes the most of the power while night time EV charging at discounted rate gives me an almost 20KWh energy used at a bit more than 1 euro .

ABB reports for the past 30 days,good days can be seen from past 7 days:

478540.jpg

Diverter numbers crunched as reported by the meter,looks good but stil "unefficient" due to the solar tubes covering and doing most of the hard work.Once "hot tube" reached,any surplus electricity goes to neighbours paid to Mr Grid not to me.But at least,i care about the environment,im one of the people doing something in this "age of stupid" .

478541.jpg

Solar tubes doing smart work,once it reaches over 70 degrees top bottom stays there until next day...and Sun does the same green clean loop over again.

478542.jpg

Running virtually off grid almost 10 hours in a good day,morning to afetrnoon,few watts borrowed from MrGrid (and i still investigate why i'm i taking them... !!? )

478543.jpg

The well known "the Owl" just confirms all above:

478544.jpg

So, I will probably end up going for this system - 12k less the grant, so 8200 nett.

18 x Q-Cell Solar PV Modules/Panels 325W
    1 x 5kw Hybrid Inverters
    1 x 5.6kw Hybrid Batteries
    1 x Eddi Power Diverter
    Emergency Isolation
    BER Assessment
    Warranty

Associated Materials: Roof Mounting System, Cabling and AC and DC Isolators.

Design, Supply, Installation, Commissioning and Handover of the complete Solar PV system.

PLUS
    Upload all required documentation and photographs to SEAI Application System website to enable release of Grant if applicable.

Givenergy Inverter and battery, same as wexfordman2.

No mention of essential load wiring, I will have to check that.

Next Gen Power?

Next Gen Power?

Yes indeed.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed.

I also used the lads there.

I also used the lads there.

Happy with everything?

Happy with everything?

Yeah. I got mine 2 years ago before any grants or anything so currently getting the funds together for battery storage. Theres only so much hot water I can use.

I think I sent about 9kwh back to the grid yesterday after filling my water tank.

Have you explored how hot your cylinder is getting and how hot it is allowed to be set? My max temp was set for 64C, while the manufacturers max recommendation was 85C (in both cases you really need an anti-scold valve fitted, but this is not expensive). I got caught out by my high pressure pump (for my pumped shower), which is only rated for 65C, so I could not up the temps in my cylinder

If you are allowed, it could mean your PV excess might build up say a 2 day buffer instead of a 1 day buffer, which will save you substantial money

But if you're installing a battery anyway, that's probably a bit of a moot point

Have you explored how hot your cylinder is getting and how hot it is allowed to be set? My max temp was set for 64C, while the manufacturers max recommendation was 85C (in both cases you really need an anti-scold valve fitted, but this is not expensive). I got caught out by my high pressure pump (for my pumped shower), which is only rated for 65C, so I could not up the temps in my cylinder

If you are allowed, it could mean your PV excess might build up say a 2 day buffer instead of a 1 day buffer, which will save you substantial money

But if you're installing a battery anyway, that's probably a bit of a moot point

Have my Cylinder set to 65 degrees too.
    Both bathrooms are electric showers with internal pumps also.

Usually with a full cylinder we can get 2 days shower use in fairness (200L well insulated cylinder).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Next Gen Power

My quote from them for a 3.5kWp system (no battery or diverter) was €6800 after grant.

Prices are still too high, imo.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    My quote from them for a 3.5kWp system (no battery or diverter) was €6800 after grant.

Prices are still too high, imo.

Agreed that is a silly high quote. Maybe a difficult installation? Did you get other quotes?

For that sort of money other people in here have got 4-5kWp systems with battery and diverter - see the posts in this thread

Agreed that is a silly high quote. Maybe a difficult installation? Did you get other quotes?

For that sort of money other people in here have got 4-5kWp systems with battery and diverter - see the posts in this thread

Not a difficult install although I think they do charge more for a slate roof.
    Should add that I asked for dual orientation, so that might add a little to it but doesnt justify the price either way.

I got loads of quotes. Cheapest I got for that size was about €5200. Still too high in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm back on the trail again for a system, anything I need to check? I've looked into the panel, inverter and battery warranties.

Do I need a hybrid inverter? What are the benefits of that? Is there anything in particular I need to be able to charge the battery at night rate and discharge during the day?

Basically is there a checklist of questions to ask the installer?

KCross wrote: »
    I got loads of quotes. Cheapest I got for that size was about €5200. Still too high in my book.

Yes far too high. If the SEAI installers aren't playing ball, you can do a PV only install yourself with or without the help of a roofer to install the panels, get an electrician to hook it up and you are talking total cost of under half of what you were quoted for 2*6 300W panels for 3.6kwp, Solis 3.6kW dual mppt string inverter, cables, disconnects, mounting, RCBO.

Yes far too high. If the SEAI installers aren't playing ball, you can do a PV only install yourself with or without the help of a roofer to install the panels, get an electrician to hook it up and you are talking total cost of under half of what you were quoted for 2*6 300W panels for 3.6kwp, Solis 3.6kW dual mppt string inverter, cables, disconnects, mounting, RCBO.

Yea, I am going to go that direction. I thought I had a roofer lined up but he fell through. Apparently he does work for one of the registered companies and didnt want to go inside them! :mad:

I have a quote for the material and I have a spark lined up.

I dont want to do the roof stuff myself and I dont have the roof ladders etc for a slate roof so I'd rather pay someone who is equipped and experienced at it than risk the integrity of my roof.... so I'm searching for someone at the moment.

If anyone knows a willing roofer in the Cork area send me a PM please.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have touched slate myself either. It's more complicated, slates are more delicate, you need to cut tiles and you need to use flashing. Make sure you get a good roofer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Has anyone found any reasonable material suppliers that you can give links to?

Looking at the option of a self install using roofers etc.

I don't think we are allowed to put up links to suppliers here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I don't think we are allowed to put up links to suppliers here :(

Donny need to know the prices they quoted, just who people are using.
    Next gen have already been mentioned in the last few hours.

So, I pulled the trigger today for what I was quoted for.

Installation should be 6th May or no later than the end of the week.

Hope I’m doing right!!!

Hope I’m doing right!!!

Good man. You are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Hope I’m doing right!!!

Was your quote 12k including vat?

Hope I’m doing right!!!

Happy days, keep us posted.

conor_mc wrote: »

Yes minus grant so €8200 nett (as posted by the user himself).

conor_mc wrote: »

Yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement