Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

Rodstar028 wrote: »
    Wondering if any of ye have noticed on your systems on days of power surges to the panels are the inverters inclined to leak some of the power to the grid instead of adjusting to send power to batteries. Then also when night meter is installed are there settings that require changing and in your experience what are the best ie can you charge batteries by 2kw only etc

The battery management system should control what the battery receives in order to protect the battery. Mine charge at a Maximum 2.4kw and when they get to over 80%-90% charge I think the max is 1kw from solar. The remainder will go to the grid if it has nowhere else to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I thought we had cut down to around 11 units on day rate.

But today, Sunday, big meal cooked, hoovering, tv, etc - 12 units between 10.30am and 5 pm.

Last weeks low consumption wasn’t typical. Now I’m wondering is my high usage making PV more attractive again.

Is there any case, or any cost at which a battery becomes sensible?

It’s overcast here in Donegal,today so I wonder would I have got 12 units produced from the PV in any case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

AidenL wrote: »

But today, Sunday, big meal cooked, hoovering, tv, etc - 12 units between 10.30am and 5 pm.

Last weeks low consumption wasn’t typical. Now I’m wondering is my high usage making PV more attractive again.

It’s overcast here in Donegal,today so I wonder would I have got 12 units produced from the PV in any case?

Why don't you cut down to just the 2.4kwh battery just to make use of the Grant?

That will save about 1100 alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Remember, the battery effectively comes with a grant of 2,400, because without the battery you lose 1400 of solar PV panel grant....of you don't put in a battery, you can 9nly get a max grant of 2kwp solar, which is 1400 euro. With the battery, you get an extra grant of 2,400 on top of the 1400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This is it. You only go for the battery, because it comes with the massive grant. It means you will need to install 4kwp+ too. The cheaper the battery, the shorter your pay back period

In most battery attached setups, it is very easy to add more batteries later, presuming they will get a lot cheaper in the next few years

unkel wrote: »
    In most battery attached setups, it is very easy to add more batteries later, presuming they will get a lot cheaper in the next few years

This was the point I was going to make, if you follow cost projections of battery production which is about an 18% reduction in cost each year, it would mean that the batteries would get cheaper each year by more than they would save in costs for that year. There is a break even point at around 2025 when 2.4kwh should cost around less than 500e per pack.

It makes sense to get the cheapest battery possible just for the grant! But insure to get a modular one like pylontech so you can add more later when they get cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mcgree

All find this thread really useful some great information for someone new to PV.
    Apologies if this is a repeat post but looking for some advice as the sales guys sell me the dream.

Realistically I don’t want to go down the route of planning as additional cost for drawings etc. so thought that I would go with the 7 panel at approx. 300kwh each would give me 2100kwh, south facing system. There is room to add additional to the garden rear 3-4 panels, but as splitting and what I have read about additional invertors/diverters? Not sure this is worth the cost for another 1000kwh
    Basic yearly consumption 5700kwh, on a bad day using approx. 18 units (@€;0.1450).
    My question is realistically is a 2k system going to really make any drastic saving when considering payback time and my usage. I know that the main issue is the washing machine/tumble dryer running 2/3 times during the day and 4 girls’ hairdryers daily plus ever other device they have charging and 2 TV’s running daily. These are items at the moment I have no say in, when they all move out may be.
    Any thoughts would be great or suggestions solar sales seem to justify 2k but think this is a hard sell, would be great to be more self-sufficient but would realistically need to justify the investment for the savings I calculate. Maybe it’s not the time to jump in but the grant makes it a little more attractive.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

You know what i love here...most of you are promoting batteries and PVs together.But no diverters...
    Also,some of you highly recommend some specific branded EV chargers that does wonders too (aka for sales people bonuses).
    Can anyone of you show historical and / or live how a PV system behaves with a battery and / or EV car !??

I will really really love to see some reports,some graphs,some returns of the systems in usage...
    How the system performed "today" with that base load on monday and, over the weekend?
    How does the system balances my life,my usage,my appliances while taking care of the batteries...
    How does my PV and charger charges the EV car day time and on the night time .

So far,i just seen sales people making assumptions,throing up quotations and opinions based on best return for end user (aka,my arse,for the installer and / or seling company).

I love to see graphs and reports... how does the PVs performs with a battery attached ?!
    Asked few guys already and being told to shut up, 'case that charges does wonders as he has it installed.No graphs presented,just keyboards and mouse.And sales numbers...

I guess, by now the number of systems installed by users here on boards is big enough ,is mature...
    We can afford to see some reports,isnt ?
    Most of the users asked " can you PM me that installer as the price seems right for my budget/grant" !!! BUT NO ONE asked...how does the system performes, how does the battery gets its 100% quoted installed capacity, can i read your dashboard, can i see some bills ,some real fcukign savings !??
    No,all about price of the installer to match the grant !
    HOW DO I KNOW THE SYSTEM WORKS !?? just by green light on and off ?

Thanks in advance guys,no offence intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

rolion wrote: »
    You know what i love here...most of you are promoting batteries and PVs together.But no diverters...
    Also,some of you highly recommend some specific branded EV chargers that does wonders too (aka for sales people bonuses).
    Can anyone of you show historical and / or live how a PV system behaves with a battery and / or EV car !??

I will really really love to see some reports,some graphs,some returns of the systems in usage...
    How the system performed "today" with that base load on monday and, over the weekend?
    How does the system balances my life,my usage,my appliances while taking care of the batteries...
    How does my PV and charger charges the EV car day time and on the night time .

So far,i just seen sales people making assumptions,throing up quotations and opinions based on best return for end user (aka,my arse,for the installer and / or seling company).

I love to see graphs and reports... how does the PVs performs with a battery attached ?!
    Asked few guys already and being told to shut up, 'case that charges does wonders as he has it installed.No graphs presented,just keyboards and mouse.And sales numbers...

I guess, by now the number of systems installed by users here on boards is big enough ,is mature...
    We can afford to see some reports,isnt ?
    Most of the users asked " can you PM me that installer as the price seems right for my budget/grant" !!! BUT NO ONE asked...how does the system performes, how does the battery gets its 100% quoted installed capacity, can i read your dashboard, can i see some bills ,some real fcukign savings !??
    No,all about price of the installer to match the grant !
    HOW DO I KNOW THE SYSTEM WORKS !?? just by green light on and off ?

Thanks in advance guys,no offence intended.

Let me know what you want or I can always give you logins to my system if you like just send me a PM.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Let me know what you want or I can always give you logins to my system if you like just send me a PM.

Be careful about giving out logins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Be careful about giving out logins.

There are private logins ...and public view / guest enabled logins
    Here is mine with public / guest enabled.

Just take "Eamon name" off the dashboard... ;)

Just take "Eamon name" off the dashboard... ;)

I know, I'm a fast learner

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kerryman3

KCross wrote: »
    Phil, Is it possible in your case to use wired (instead of wireless) connections between the Zappi and the grid/Solar?
    i.e. take Harvi out of the equation. With wireless you always have the potential for interference as has been detailed on this thread already.

imo, a wired connection will always be better and more reliable than a wireless connection but it is, of course, dependent on your specific circumstances as to whether that cable can be run without digging half your site!

Im sure Harvi works fine for people but if its possible to go wired I would do that.

Hi KCross,
    What would be the consequences of interference due to having a wireless system which uses the Harvi?
    I have been offered a choice between iboost hot water diverter OR eddi plus Harvi at the same money, anyone any thoughts on which to go for?
    Thanks for any advice.

Phil, Is it possible in your case to use wired (instead of wireless) connections between the Zappi and the grid/Solar?
    i.e. take Harvi out of the equation. With wireless you always have the potential for interference as has been detailed on this thread already.

imo, a wired connection will always be better and more reliable than a wireless connection but it is, of course, dependent on your specific circumstances as to whether that cable can be run without digging half your site!

Im sure Harvi works fine for people but if its possible to go wired I would do that.

Hi KCross,
    What would be the consequences of interference due to having a wireless system which uses the Harvi?
    I have been offered a choice between iboost hot water diverter OR eddi plus Harvi at the same money, anyone any thoughts on which to go for?
    Thanks for any advice.

I'm signing up for:

14*300W panels
    5kW hybrid inverter
    3.5kWh Pylontech battery
    Eddi hot water diverter plus Harvi OR iBoost hot water diverter

7k to me including VAT, and having drawn the full grant of E3800.
    Thanks to all who posted their quotes previously for giving me an idea of prices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yew

Reminds me of the Nissan Leaf's battery pack, 2011/2 models having higher than expected degradation vs 2013/4 and onward lizard battery, also panels just like batteries would get cheaper and presumably performance and longevity would also increase in time reducing the ROI, hence for the average household 4200kwh pa (me) the longer I hold on to an install the better value I would get i.e hedge on future piecemeal installs. Stepwise, if I had to install now it would probably be no install night rates first with usage optimisation, then a minimal panel non battery system with diverter, and lastly more panels with battery system if ever.

Rolion has a point, have a unified standard of reporting savings/returns per panel/system.

Mcgree wrote: »
    All find this thread really useful some great information for someone new to PV.
    Apologies if this is a repeat post but looking for some advice as the sales guys sell me the dream.

Realistically I don’t want to go down the route of planning as additional cost for drawings etc. so thought that I would go with the 7 panel at approx. 300kwh each would give me 2100kwh, south facing system. There is room to add additional to the garden rear 3-4 panels, but as splitting and what I have read about additional invertors/diverters? Not sure this is worth the cost for another 1000kwh
    Basic yearly consumption 5700kwh, on a bad day using approx. 18 units (@€;0.1450).
    My question is realistically is a 2k system going to really make any drastic saving when considering payback time and my usage. I know that the main issue is the washing machine/tumble dryer running 2/3 times during the day and 4 girls’ hairdryers daily plus ever other device they have charging and 2 TV’s running daily. These are items at the moment I have no say in, when they all move out may be.
    Any thoughts would be great or suggestions solar sales seem to justify 2k but think this is a hard sell, would be great to be more self-sufficient but would realistically need to justify the investment for the savings I calculate. Maybe it’s not the time to jump in but the grant makes it a little more attractive.
    Thanks
    Hi I’m in a housing estate and not applying for planning permission. If anyone complains I’ll apply for retention which I’m confident I’ll get. Installers have agreed to take down panels for free if council decided in favor of a complainant and wouldn’t give me retention permission- I can put them up in another spot if needs be. I have East west split so will prob put six panels on front of house (east) and eight on back (west). My installer appears very confident planning law will change to allow bigger systems soon tho.

Mcgree wrote: »

Thanks
    Hi I’m in a housing estate and not applying for planning permission. If anyone complains I’ll apply for retention which I’m confident I’ll get. Installers have agreed to take down panels for free if council decided in favor of a complainant and wouldn’t give me retention permission- I can put them up in another spot if needs be. I have East west split so will prob put six panels on front of house (east) and eight on back (west). My installer appears very confident planning law will change to allow bigger systems soon tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mcgree

Kerryman3 wrote: »

Thanks. That’s also a thought on the planning, should I wait a while see if changes come into play before committing to a system. Have been told I can get 7 panels south facing front of house and 3 east that’s my limit. Do have a 100ft garden though could look at setting up something at the back 10m wide and a tin roof shed at the bottom at the mo but would south facing just unsure of the setup. 7 on the front 7 in the rear garden all south facing. Wouldn’t need planning for the garden but splitting over two distances what short of cost would this incur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Do people have any feedback on the relative quality and performance of the different inverters and batteries? I am looking at a few inverters here all rated 5-6kW but the max continuous power seems different for each.
    SolaX X1-Hybrid 4.6T 6kW inverter - 6kW DC battery in and out, 4.6kW max continuous AC, EPS out (What is this?) 5kW max, 8kW 10 sec peak
    Solis 5kW inverter - 3kW max continuous, 5kW peak
    Solar Edge 5kW - 4.25kW continuous

And of course your battery will constrain rate of battery draw down further. For instance the Pylontech 3.5kWh is rated 1.8kW/3.55kW/4.8kW continuous/max/peak.
    Do people have any experiences to share? Does anyone every find themselves limited by the inverter rating?

garo wrote: »
    Solis 5kW inverter - 3kW max continuous, 5kW peak

You sure about that? Which Solis inverter exactly are you looking at?

My own one is the Solis 3.6kW dual MPPT model and I just saw it produce 3.6kW continuously when the clouds were gone for a while.

Sorry you are correct. The 3kW is for EPS (Emergency Power Supply) so 3kW is limit when drawing from battery only. It can do 3.6kW otherwise. There is also a 5kW model which produces 5kW AC assuming there are enough panels.

Then you are talking about the 3.6kW Solis hybrid inverter. Don't get that one. The 5kW costs about the same (maybe 2% more) and you will be covered if you ever want to add more panels.

Yes I remember you mentioning that before. So what happens when the total domestic draw is more than 5kW? How much is the grid AC pass through capacity? Unlimited?

Up to what ever the house connection is, I think most houses in Ireland are 12kVA, so theoretically in full sun you could draw 17kW :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭jimmyging

This is a recent quote I received
    Ground mounted 20• 300 w tier 1 mono panels
    5 kw solis inverter
    2.4 kw battery ( not essential as have ev and high daytime draw but will take as buffer and to avail of grant )
    iboost
    11.5 k incl vat installed
    If I use 5000 kWh / annum ( I have high usage with geothermal heating )payback will be 7 ish years . So say over 10 years this would give me a return of roughly 30% on the initial investment. That’s optimistic I know but with rising energy and carbon prices it might not be far off .

Am I off the mark on this ?

jimmyging wrote: »
    5 kw solis inverter
    2.4 kw battery ( not essential as have ev and high daytime draw but will take as buffer and to avail of grant )
    iboost
    If I use 5000 kWh / annum ( I have high usage with geothermal heating )payback will be 7 ish years . So say over 10 years this would give me a return of roughly 30% on the initial investment. That’s optimistic I know but with rising energy and carbon prices it might not be far off .

Sounds dear unless ground mounted dearer to install than roof mounted?
    Plus not an expert but your panels total 6kW and presumably face south, will inverter have enough kW to handle power generated at peaks?

5 kw solis inverter
    iboost

So, cost to you for 6kwp, 5kwh inverter and 2.4kw batter with boost is 7,700k after grant ?

Assuming the price of the boost is similar to price of an eddi, then your price is 500.chesper than what I got BUT, your are 4kwh short of battery storage.

Try and find lit of the cost.of the ground mount is pushing your proce up, and push for a larger battery, cos the lower battery is not a good deal imho

So, cost to you for 6kwp, 5kwh inverter and 2.4kw batter with boost is 7,700k after grant ?

Assuming the price of the boost is similar to price of an eddi, then your price is 500.chesper than what I got BUT, your are 4kwh short of battery storage.

Try and find lit of the cost.of the ground mount is pushing your proce up, and push for a larger battery, cos the lower battery is not a good deal imho[/quote

Yes that price is before grant .
    They say ground mount is the same price as roof due to bracketing . It looks as if you price is better wexfordman . I was originally quoted extra 1 k for double the battery ie 4.8 kw but it doesn’t suit my needs with ev (30 kw battery and a phev which has a 10 kw battery , one of them sitting outside all the time )

• Registered Users Posts: 1 selinacantrell

hi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Geothermal wont generally be asking for energy when the panels are generating, so that wont help much.

Utilising your EV's to take the excess will help but you would need to remember to not charge the car at night to take the excess during the day... thats a fine balancing act between having a €30k battery sitting on your driveway and having a usable car! :)

Banking on 5000kWh being used is optimistic, imo. Was that just a nice round figure you came up with or something you've calculated based on knowledge of your daytime usage from an energy monitor? If the latter, then fair enough go for it... it will save you €400/yr relative to night rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Then you are talking about the 3.6kW Solis hybrid inverter. Don't get that one. The 5kW costs about the same (maybe 2% more) and you will be covered if you ever want to add more panels.

Should have done the same. Don't know why I didn't.

Anyone want to swap :D

Try and find lit of the cost.of the ground mount is pushing your proce up, and push for a larger battery, cos the lower battery is not a good deal imho[/quote

Yes that price is before grant .
    They say ground mount is the same price as roof due to bracketing . It looks as if you price is better wexfordman . I was originally quoted extra 1 k for double the battery ie 4.8 kw but it doesn’t suit my needs with ev (30 kw battery and a phev which has a 10 kw battery , one of them sitting outside all the time )

Sorry, I assumed that was after grant, I think wexfordman2 has answered the query anyway.

Geothermal wont generally be asking for energy when the panels are generating, so that wont help much.

Fair point

Utilising your EV's to take the excess will help but you would need to remember to not charge the car at night to take the excess during the day... thats a fine balancing act between having a €30k battery sitting on your driveway and having a usable car! :)
    I agree with that

Banking on 5000kWh being used is optimistic, imo. Was that just a nice round figure you came up with or something you've calculated based on knowledge of your daytime usage from an energy monitor? If the latter, then fair enough go for it... it will save you €400/yr relative to night rate.

Well according to ideal position of PV panels and location I should be creating 6,600 kWh /annum with a predicted loss of between 1500-2000 to the grid I ballparked my consumption from panels at 5000 kw , again probably optimistic and I take your valid points Kcross and thank you for them as I need to hear worst case scenario on this investment.
    I don’t know how relevant the €400/annum compared to night rate is as most of my consumption is daytime and obviously PV production is daytime .

Up to what ever the house connection is, I think most houses in Ireland are 12kVA, so theoretically in full sun you could draw 17kW :D

:D:D

So if I go for 16 panels - would a 5kW Solis inverter be enough? I have heard that the panels can overproduce. I am going for an E/W orientation and probably a 10/6 or 8/8 split. One of the companies quoted me an additional mini inverter they would hook up 4 of the panels to for a safety margin. This would be non-hybrid so quite cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I don’t know how relevant the €400/annum compared to night rate is as most of my consumption is daytime and obviously PV production is daytime .

You have geothermal though, so how is it mainly daytime? It will be doing a significant portion of its work at night including hot water.

If the HP is setup to run mostly during the day you are screwing yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Finally heard back from Myenergi, they say to avoid a DC coupled battery:
    Myenergi wrote:
    The Zappi prefers to have an AC coupled battery due to the fact that you can apply a CT clamp directly to the feed of the battery so that in your case the Zappi will see what the AC battery present. The CT clamp will need to be set to "AC Battery" in the CT options. 

The DC coupled batteries can be problematic. The issue they have is that they can discharge if they detect power from the grid, which means the Zappi will be using the stored power from the battery to charge, effectively discharging the battery. Within the Zappi you can configure export margins 100 W / 200 W / 300 W which means the the power will be ignored but this doesn't always work effectively.

And the quote I have for solar includes..... A DC battery. :(

I saw that mentioned in the other thread. :eek: :eek:

Everyone in Ireland who's getting the battery grant for their solar PV install is getting a DC side battery install (hybrid inverter). Charging car from battery is a very bad idea!!!

It shouldn't work like that though. If the inverter is set to 50w and the Zappi 150w then the cat will only charge when the export goes above 150w. The car will then charge only from the export of over 150w.

The only issue I see is if while the car is charging that the battery is full that the Zappi won't see the import prop up as it will be supplemented by the battery. if there was a firmware update to the Zappi so that it only kept charging while something was going to the grid then the battery would never deplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Everyone in Ireland who's getting the battery grant for their solar PV install is getting a DC side battery install (hybrid inverter). Charging car from battery is a very bad idea!!!

my PV system going to be installed shortly and surely it will have a battery. but you got me worried there unkel, why is it a bad idea to charge car from battery?

• Advertisement

Because a battery has a limited number of cycles, you can divide the extra cost of having the battery system installed (over the cost of a PV system without battery) minus the €1,000 grant by the number of kWh you can cycle in total over its life. The most popular battery is the Pylontech US2000, 2.4kWh, of which 2.2kWh is usable

According to its spec sheet (linky) it has 6000 cycles. That's 6000 * 2.2kWh usable =

I know a battery system after grant costs about €2000 (if you get a good deal) more than a non battery system, so 13200kWh can go out of the battery over its life. So one unit costs

€2000 / 13200 = 15c/kWh

Jesus, that's worse than I thought. Quite shocked by that. Let's be very optimistic and say you'll get 9000 cycles (that's 50% more than the manufacturer says)

Then the cost is

€2000 / 19800 = 10c/kWh

So every kWh that you charge from the battery, costs you more than charging your car at night rate (which costs 8c). So you actually lose money. And you accelerate the deterioration of the battery.

These figures also prove it is futile to charge your battery up with cheap night rate electricity, as it costs more than buying from the grid at the higher rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Because a battery has a limited number of cycles, you can divide the extra cost of having the battery system installed (over the cost of a PV system without battery) minus the €1,000 grant by the number of kWh you can cycle in total over its life. The most popular battery is the Pylontech US2000, 2.4kWh, of which 2.2kWh is usable

According to its spec sheet (linky) it has 6000 cycles. That's 6000 * 2.2kWh usable =

I know a battery system after grant costs about €2000 (if you get a good deal) more than a non battery system, so 13200kWh can go out of the battery over its life. So one unit costs

€2000 / 13200 = 15c/kWh

Jesus, that's worse than I thought. Quite shocked by that. Let's be very optimistic and say you'll get 9000 cycles (that's 50% more than the manufacturer says)

Then the cost is

€2000 / 19800 = 10c/kWh

So every kWh that you charge from the battery, costs you more than charging your car at night rate (which costs 8c). So you actually lose money. And you accelerate the deterioration of the battery.

These figures also prove it is futile to charge your battery up with cheap night rate electricity, as it costs more than buying from the grid at the higher rate...

so what is solution to this problem? its probably covered in this thread already. but to sum it up- how do you divert PV energy to your charger without using battery storage first to fill up your EV?

Get a PV system with a separate AC side battery system (like a Tesla Powerwall). It costs about the same to get installed, but is less efficient to charge (not that that matters an awful lot as the battery size is usually very limited). The latter is what I'm working on.

Or of course, don't install a battery at all. Even with the very generous subsidy it is doubtful it will ever pay for itself. Particularly not if we ever get a feed in tariff.
    But you could argue that you expect electricity prices will go up considerably, which would make payback time come down

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Thanks for sharing output. Very interesting to see actual data for those of us looking to take the plunge soon. I’ve also been keeping an eye on these 2 Kelliher’s electrical sites as the cork one is near me

http://www.rexelenergysolutions.ie/solar-electricity/live-sites/

I meant to ask ...is that a 4kw set up you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Excuse my total ignorance here, but why is it a bad idea? And if I did have a Zappi and solar, how would I know if that is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Have to say, its sorry I don't have PV installed today.

It must have been a great couple of days for production.

Have to say, its sorry I don't have PV installed today.

It must have been a great couple of days for production.

I had over 24kwh on Saturday and over 21 kwh on Sunday. Had to switch on the Immersion to use it. Still ended up giving away some to the grid for free.

(East/ West 4kw PV with 4.8kwh battery)

generated 27 today, consumed 30, exported 3 and imported 6.

6 is a lot for me to be importing these days, typically 2kwh, but herself had oven, dryer, washing machine etc going late this evening, so thats where the import came from mostly.

I think I am reaching in excess of 80% utilisation these days, typically, the eddi really soaks up the excess a good bit (you can see my usage is high).

We have a lot of energy effeceint appliances, but we literally turn them on without a thought these days, especially the dryer, which is a heat pump dryer so runs on quite low power, and suit the solar very well.

You can see below a daily generation v demanded power and battery charge/discharge graph.If you look at the periods where the battery has finished charging, the demand almost matches the generation figure, which is the eddi tracking and sucking up the excess. Once the immersion gets full and the battery then fully charged, though, then the excess starts going out to the grid.

I am really surprised at how well it is tracking the excess and using it up.

[IMG][/img]solar%20day%20log_zpsh4xcp9ii.jpg

generated 27 today, consumed 30, exported 3 and imported 6.

6 is a lot for me to be importing these days, typically 2kwh, but herself had oven, dryer, washing machine etc going late this evening, so thats where the import came from mostly.

I think I am reaching in excess of 80% utilisation these days, typically, the eddi really soaks up the excess a good bit (you can see my usage is high).

We have a lot of energy effeceint appliances, but we literally turn them on without a thought these days, especially the dryer, which is a heat pump dryer so runs on quite low power, and suit the solar very well.

You can see below a daily generation v consumption graph, and if you look at the periods where the battery has finished charging, the consumption almost matches the generation figure, which is the eddi tracking and sucking up the excess. Once the immersion gets full though, then the excess starts going out to the grid.

I am really surprised at how well it is tracking the excess and using it up.

[IMG][/img]solar%20day%20log_zpsh4xcp9ii.jpg

• Advertisement

@wexfordman Do you have a clothes line out the back. This would save you using the dryer as much. I find i'm using the line and just finishing them off in the dryer for half an hour. I'm soooo domesticated these days :D, constantly doing the clothes wash and dish washer . My wife thinks it's brilliant:D

They should advertise solar PV as a labour saving device for the ladies:D

Advertisement