Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Neil. J. F wrote: »
    Has anybody out there had a system installed by this company?
    They do not appear on the SEAI approved installers list.

I did yeah.

They are listed under the approved companies. Not just installers.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/solar-electricity-grant/solar-pv-installers-and-c/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Neil. J. F

kceire wrote: »
    I did yeah.

We're you happy with installation and are you happy with how your system is working?

We're you happy with installation and are you happy with how your system is working?

Yes 100%. Have t has the gas boiler on in nearly 2 mo the now. All my hot water needs met from late March to oct/nov.

The odd day may need a top up. But even in the heights of winter I was getting a few days of hot water plus the associated base load running.

I will be getting them back for a battery soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

No idea, I'm afraid
    Yes, they are 72 Cells

Got the same quote from them also.
    Although when asked, how do they fix the panel and if they drill through tiles. I was told they hang the panels and don't drill through as it is against regulation :/

• Advertisement

Yes 100%. Have t has the gas boiler on in nearly 2 mo the now. All my hot water needs met from late March to oct/nov.

The odd day may need a top up. But even in the heights of winter I was getting a few days of hot water plus the associated base load running.

I will be getting them back for a battery soon.
    What inverter have you got from them?
    Been offered Silos but this is Ginlong(Chinese made rebrand)

reklamos wrote: »
    Yes, they are 72 Cells

Got the same quote from them also.
    Although when asked, how do they fix the panel and if they drill through tiles. I was told they hang the panels and don't drill through as it is against regulation :/

The guy who called out to me was a bit of a looper. When I pointed out to him that the SEAI state on their website that installers should not be permitted to drill through tiles, his response was "The SEAI should try installing them so"
    All throughout his "survey", he kept telling me how busy they were and at the end of the day he didn't give a f**k if he got an order or not, told me they had no installation slots left in June or most of July (bollox)
    Long story short, he totally put me off with his "drilling through tiles"

The guy who called out to me was a bit of a looper. When I pointed out to him that the SEAI state on their website that installers should not be permitted to drill through tiles, his response was "The SEAI should try installing them so"
    All throughout his "survey", he kept telling me how busy they were and at the end of the day he didn't give a f**k if he got an order or not, told me they had no installation slots left in June or most of July (bollox)
    Long story short, he totally put me off with his "drilling through tiles"
    Can you PM me the name as my experience was different.

reklamos wrote: »
    What inverter have you got from them?
    Been offered Silos but this is Ginlong(Chinese made rebrand)

I have a Trannergy invertor but it was installed 2 years ago. I’m awaiting a system that allows for battery integration into the existing invertor now and the guys in NGP are just waiting on clarification on how the grant works for battery only install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Current offer from Next Gen Power

I have, and they are in the list, and I just got notification from seai of grant funds on the way.

• Advertisement

I have, and they are in the list, and I just got notification from seai of grant funds on the way.

Thanks for that!
    One of the other lads sent me a link to the SEAI website where they are listed under approved companies rather than installers.
    My own fault that I couldn't find them!
    They look like the real deal. I waiting for a site visit, so hopefully things will progress from there.

Thanks for that!
    One of the other lads sent me a link to the SEAI website where they are listed under approved companies rather than installers.
    My own fault that I couldn't find them!
    They look like the real deal. I waiting for a site visit, so hopefully things will progress from there.

I was very happy with them overall, and was prob one if the first few who got the install completed under the grant system.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

How is the production looking on these overcast and wet days?

I’m curious as to what kind of production happens around November to January?

The weather here today was as bad as November!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

AidenL wrote: »

About 15kwh today and 11.5 yesterday in Limerick. 4kw East/West PV array. The days are very long so you have a very good window to produce even on overcast days.
    I use About 10 kwh per day but expect that to increase over time with Daughters and E.V.

November, December and January you will get very little. March to October you'll probably get too much Unless you can store it and divert it .

13kwh generated today on my 3kw system.
    Full 200L tank of hot water.
    Remainder sent to grid and powered house at times.

Panels started generating about 5.30am and continued to do so for over 12 hours.

28kwh generated, 23kwh used, 8kwh exported and 3kwh imported.
    And full tank of hot water as well
    6kwp system with 150deg facing panels, east cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That system is working really well for you wexfordman2. Impressive figures.

That is a great result.

I need to start monitoring what I’m using etc. do you guys have something fancy or simply check the unit reading in the meter every morning?

I need to start monitoring what I’m using etc. do you guys have something fancy or simply check the unit reading in the meter every morning?
    I have a data logger that records all the data, went in as part of the inverter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

That production will have been generated in one of the best day of this period.

I will really love to see a graph or report that shows production across 30 days / a month.
    Apart of the lovely 28Kwh produced i guarantee you have days along with less than 5KWh figures...thats when you need and thats when a good quality PV panels harvest the last photon from the cloudy skies... so giving the peak of production for a day and express how good the system works in raltino to Mother nature i will say is not the right approach to this. Not to mention the spikes of the day,over hours of that day as is not continuous curved shape but rather spikes and you will need to get your consumption alligned to the generation.

481914.jpg

481918.jpg

So,if the green line is the generated PV electricity and the red line are your appliances eating KWh from inverter and/or from grid...BIG q is how you align your living over a day to match that curve !?

481916.jpg

481917.jpg

rolion wrote: »

I will really love to see a graph or report that shows production across 30 days / a month.
    Apart of the lovely 28Kwh produced i guarantee you have days along with less than 5KWh figures...thats when you need and thats when a good quality PV panels harvest the last photon from the cloudy skies...

481914.jpg

Yesterday wasn’t a good day in my
    Opinion. My good days generate 16-19kwh. Yesterday was average.

Same here, yesterday was an average day, to the point I was expecting lower levels.

Have had much higher levels than that over the last few weeks, up around mid thirties

In fact, since the 1st April, I have had only ten days where my production has dipped below 20kwh, and even at that we are talking about 16-17kwh. 2 of those ten days were due to loss of data rather than actual production values.

thats when you need and thats when a good quality PV panels harvest the last photon from the cloudy skies

You make it sound like some PV panels are like Ferraris or Lamborghinis compared to the Ford and Toyota common panels :p

Some panels are more efficient than others, hence their higher peak wattage rating. In my view most of the higher wattage rated panels are very overpriced and seem to give their buyers a misplaced sense of quality. Their pay back time would be many years longer than cheaper panels

unkel wrote: »
    You make it sound like some PV panels are like Ferraris or Lamborghinis compared to the Ford and Toyota common panels :p

Some panels are more efficient than others, hence their higher peak wattage rating. In my view most of the higher wattage rated panels are very overpriced and seem to give their buyers a misplaced sense of quality. Their pay back time would be many years longer than cheaper panels

I advice you, friendly way,do some home work on production of individual cell and overall panel,in special the R & D then manufacturing,both reflected in as a premium panel compared with a "white panel" OEM or no name.

The reply above is your opinion and i respect it.
    Thats why are Ferraris and same time, that why are Fords....you personal can have any panel any type and any model / coulour as long as it matches only your financial figures... ;)"quoting Mr. Ford"

Good luck.

My LG panels:

best 2019 panels (subject to video author):

A high end 375W panel from Korea (like LG, Samsung, etc.) costing €240 might have a better warranty, it might last a few years longer, but it is going to generate less kWh over its life per € spent on it than a cheap Chinese 300W panel costing €120

I don't think that is just an opinion ;)

Nope, you are wrong, it was an not an exceptional day, based on weather and amount of cloud cover, and indeed generation.

Here you go

GENERATION_zpsxapkqeiz.jpg

Clearly shows that the 28kwh I produced was not exceptional as you claimed it would have been.

Apart of the lovely 28Kwh produced i guarantee you have days along with less than 5KWh figures...thats when you need and thats when a good quality PV panels harvest the last photon from the cloudy skies... so giving the peak of production for a day and express how good the system works in raltino to Mother nature i will say is not the right approach to this.

Wrong again, I have not had any 5kwh days since the system was brought live end of March. My lowest production day was actually the 1st of June at just 13kwh! I am showing 2 days on my stats with the production levels below 5kwh, but those days were due to an issue with my logger.

i Will have to wait a good few more months before my production levels drop the 5kwh figures you mention. I would be dissapointed to see those kind of levels on my system at this time of year, perhaps your system needs checking ?

It was partially the logic in going for 6kwp, to squeeze that bit more out of the system during the low production periods, even if I do end out over producing during peak periods.
    Not to mention the spikes of the day,over hours of that day as is not continuous curved shape but rather spikes and you will need to get your consumption alligned to the generation.

Well, at 28kwh produced, and just 3kwh imported, thats a pretty good allignment, I am quite happy with.

So,if the green line is the generated PV electricity and the red line are your appliances eating KWh from inverter and/or from grid...BIG q is how you align your living over a day to match that curve !?

Easy:-

a) Battery system
    b) EDDI hot water diverter which manages the excess very well
    c) Managing use time of appliances
    d) Spreading the load
    e) Time delay/start delay on appliances
    f) Smart appliances, Smart Lighting (remote access for activation etc).

My usage graph for the 3rd when the 28kwh was produced is just below, you can see the excess being nicely soaked up by the battery and the eddi for a good portion of the day.

DAILY%20TRACKING_zpswftv8iny.jpg

Another graph from the previous day showing usage being tracked near perfectly against generation.

daily%20tracking%202_zpsncgxomkh.jpg

I advice you, friendly way,do some home work on production of individual cell and overall panel,in special the R & D then manufacturing,both reflected in as a premium panel compared with a "white panel" OEM or no name.

The reply above is your opinion and i respect it.

From your own link (that fella on the roof), go to his website that he mentions at the end. The website has the test results from all the panels he mentions. You will find there is feck all difference in performance between these panels. A cheap Qcell 325W produced 1.06kWh in a week and the presumably much more expensive new model LG 330W produced 1.05kWh, the new model Panasonic 330W produced 1.07kWh

The Emperor's New Clothes :p:p:p

Here's the link:

linky

It was partially the logic in going for 6kwp

With panels now down to almost €100 and very little extra cost to install extra panels, it really is a no brainer to stick 6kwp on your roof. If only I had the space, I would have done the same.

• Advertisement

With panels now down to almost €100 and very little extra cost to install extra panels, it really is a no brainer to stick 6kwp on your roof. If only I had the space, I would have done the same.

I think I did it based on your advice :-)

Be a mad idea to put a 3rd switchable string on to the system if they were that cheap (to get later evening sun).

So,if you dont have the space,as a normal house build in a normal estate will allow maxim 7-8 panels in portrait mode.
    Thats 7 x 300W. So, you go for the bext PV panels that gives you maxim output.Even if is e100 cash.

Heard cases where they went with 250W years ago.Next year,300 will become defacto with 350/400w on the way

Thats called progress and learning & sharing...the next wave end user will laugh at us with our today's panels... i guess they will have flexible panels and / or whole roof made out of PV cells...

How is output looking today?

Was it dull and wet , as it was here in Donegal? Just wondering what the numbers are like on a day like this?

Was it dull and wet , as it was here in Donegal? Just wondering what the numbers are like on a day like this?

cloudy most of the day, 12kwh so far, dropping off now, with just over 200w being generated, so prob looking at between 12 and 13kwh for me today.

cloudy most of the day, 12kwh so far, dropping off now, with just over 200w being generated, so prob looking at between 12 and 13kwh for me today.

That’s decent for a bad day of weather.

Yes, completely dull and cloudy for the whole day in North Dublin. Did not stop raining all day and its still raining now.

3.3kwh generated on my 3kw system.

• Advertisement

I think I did it based on your advice :-)

Be a mad idea to put a 3rd switchable string on to the system if they were that cheap (to get later evening sun).

If it was legal and I didn't need planning permission, I'd consider plastering my north facing (street facing) roof with panels if they went down a bit further in price. At a typical angle roof, north facing produces about 50% of south. West and East are far closer to south obviously.

Yes, completely dull and cloudy for the whole day in North Dublin. Did not stop raining all day and its still raining now.

3.3kwh generated on my 3kw system.

I’d say same conditions here.

I’m very interested in what gets generated on a dull Irish day. Seems we have more dull ones than bright ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

3kwh is circa 50 cents worth of electricity. Wonder what a small wind turbine would generate given we have more hours of wind than sun?

Agent_47 wrote: »
    3kwh is circa 50 cents worth of electricity. Wonder what a small wind turbine would generate given we have more hours of wind than sun?

Unless you live on top of a hill in a very windy area of the country, and you use a huge amount of electricity and you don't mind investing many thousands, don't even think about going wind :p

Agent_47 wrote: »

Wind turbines also require annual maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

generated 3.9kw up to now on my 3.6kw system. strangely enough its been raining all day in Sligo now but generation output stays between 1kw at all times!

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    generated 3.9kw up to now on my 3.6kw system. strangely enough its been raining all day in Sligo now but generation output stays between 1kw at all times!

Same here in north Dublin.
    Cloudy and spitting rain.

3.99kwh generates already and a constant generation of at least 5-600w with peaks of over 1kw.

3.99kwh generates already and a constant generation of at least 5-600w with peaks of over 1kw.

I am up to 13kwh again so far today, been very hit an miss, ranging from 300w up to 3kw in production. Raining at the moment and getting 700w

Pretty miserable day here in west Dublin. 4.2kWh generated today from 3.8kwp system

I am up to 13kwh again so far today, been very hit an miss, ranging from 300w up to 3kw in production. Raining at the moment and getting 700w
    Pretty miserable day here in west Dublin. 4.2kWh generated today from 3.8kwp system

Thats good. So seems on the wettest day in the Summer, good chance of 6 to 8 kWh over the day then?

Thats good. So seems on the wettest day in the Summer, good chance of 6 to 8 kWh over the day then?

Looks like I am at 17kwh for the day, and yep, its been a fairly wet day for the latter half anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

my todays total is spot on 6kw and all them clouds are still giving me some energy at 8pm, enough to light a light bulb 60 W haha :D

my todays total is spot on 6kw and all them clouds are still giving me some energy at 8pm, enough to light a light bulb 60 W haha :D

Im in Ballyshannon, so Sligo would be representative of what I'd get weather wise and sun levels.

15kwh produced today in Limerick with 4.2kw east/west array.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

niallers1 wrote: »
    15kwh produced today in Limerick with 4.2kw east/west array.

Looking at the weather on RTE news earlier and it seems to have been decent enough day in the Midwest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement