Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

AidenL wrote: »
    Thats good. So seems on the wettest day in the Summer, good chance of 6 to 8 kWh over the day then?

Yep, I finished with 7.1 kWh.
    Pennies saved, but hot water again for 3 showers and baby bath and general washing and that stopped me turning on the gas boiler and using a fossil fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Install day today ... finally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Congratulations gally74. Pesky roof leak has put off D-Day for me.

Is there any good place to grab an average install cost?
    Rather not have full court sales press before I know the ballpark

Or if anyone would have an idea on a south by southwest facing house in North Cork.

Or if anyone would have an idea on a south facing house in North Cork.

I would plaster that whole front roof with panels if I could!

kceire wrote: »
    I would plaster that whole front roof with panels if I could!

Yeah I'm thinking that I have a good enough roof for it, and need to get it completely re-tiled, so it'll be done around then.

Need to get a view of the costs so I can even begin to shop around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Or if anyone would have an idea on a south facing house in North Cork.

Select a base system to use as a benchmark. One particular company has mentioned publicly a figure of 10,500 inc vat and before grant for I believe a 4kwp system with 5kwh battery, so after grant cost is 6,800. That's without an eddi, but perhaps a guideline.

The max you can go for is 6kwp (which is what I have with 18 panels), and you can add an eddi hot water diverter to that also, but obviously the costs are higher with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Hey folks.

Can you please recommend a make/model of a good >300W cheap PV panel and decent place to buy from?

Thanks in advance.

gally74 wrote: »
    Install day today ... finally
    What did you get ?

• Advertisement

Select a base system to use as a benchmark. One particular company has mentioned publicly a figure of 10,500 inc vat and before grant for I believe a 4kwp system with 5kwh battery, so after grant cost is 6,800. That's without an eddi, but perhaps a guideline.

The max you can go for is 6kwp (which is what I have with 18 panels), and you can add an eddi hot water diverter to that also, but obviously the costs are higher with that.

Being total chancer, does that grant replace the HRI grant or can they stack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All SEAI grants can stack. In fact they give you a bonus grant for having claimed 3 or 4 of some eligible grants (can't remember the exact number and which grants apply)

Scrap that, it looks like the HRI is no longer running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Let me throw a new challenge to those of us that have PV installed and posted figures, nice numbers ,above my post.

Can we have a report with the PV production and actual usage, grid or "off-grid" so that we can see the actual VALUE of the panels production !? A figure that shows how much of the actual PV generation has been used in the house and how much not... or... how did a PV owner has adapted to suit the solar generation and availability ?

Im saying this as i got a €180 last period electricity bill...

Thanks

rolion wrote: »
    Let me throw a new challenge to those of us that have PV installed and posted figures, nice numbers ,above my post.

Can we have a report with the PV production and actual usage, grid or "off-grid" so that we can see the actual VALUE of the panels production !? A figure that shows how much of the actual PV generation has been used in the house and how much not... or... how did a PV owner has adapted to suit the solar generation and availability ?

Thanks

I have no way of monitoring what I used from the grid unfortunately.
    If there’s a manual way I suppose it’s check the meter everyday at the dame time?

I have no way of monitoring what I used from the grid unfortunately.
    If there’s a manual way I suppose it’s check the meter everyday at the dame time?

12 kWh produced today btw.
    4.06kwh sent to immersion so full tank of hot water.
    Currently generating 1.4kw as I post.

• Advertisement

What did you get ?

Thanks to some advice on here, namely about maxing the grants, I’m getting:

4.2 kw denim glas on glas bifocal panels 300w

Enphase micro inverters - safety and also efficiency

2 x 1.2 ac batteries enphase

My energie Eddie

Took the day off tomorrow to enjoy the setup, only racking done today

Thanks to some advice on here, namely about maxing the grants, I’m getting:

4.2 kw denim glas on glas bifocal panels 300w

Enphase micro inverters - safety and also efficiency

2 x 1.2 ac batteries enphase

My energie Eddie

Took the day off tomorrow to enjoy the setup, only racking done today

Just to add I can easily increase to 6kv when a fit comes in thanks to the micro inter s .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

rolion wrote: »

Thanks

I went after the low hanging fruit, the base load, which is between 200 and 400 watt during daylight hours, though it's slightly higher in the evenings when I'm getting virtually nothing on solar.

As I've mains gas all heat (space/water/cooking) is from that as it's 5c per kw/h which trashes night rate electricity. If only I charge the car using it!

80kw/h gone off the electricity bill last month compared to the month before (only have solar a month) so our day/night split has improved from 48%/52% to 35%/65%. Bill should land around the €100 mark I think (fag box maths). Looking currently like a 4 year payback, but winter will be worse for solar, so probably 5 years.

Can't justify a diverter or a lithium battery when gas is 5c per kw/h. Payback is just too long.

9pm at night and I’m generating 500w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

9pm at night and I’m generating 500w

610w in Limerick at 9.11pm this evening.
    22kwh produced today with a 4.2kw east/west array.

• Advertisement

I'm moving to Limerick :p

Here in west Dublin mixed weather, good bits of sunshine but also dull periods, overcast and showers. 14.5kWh produced from 3.8kwp

Screenshot_20190606-220319_Chrome_zpsms0w6joy.jpg

That's my generation and usage for today.

33kwh generated
    27kwh used
    2kwh imported
    8kwh exported
    Battery charge remaining 30% so expecting it to last till after midnight.

The high usage is the eddi diverting as much excess to the immersion as it can. Booking hit water, tank filled twice today (I work from home so make use if it mid day and early evening.)

So I have been effectively off grid from about 6am this morning

wexfordman2 is boss here :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

33kwh generated
    27kwh used
    2kwh imported
    8kwh exported

The high usage is the eddi diverting as much excess to the immersion as it can. Booking hit water, tank filled twice today (I work from home so make use if it mid day and early evening.)

Rather than heating water via the Eddi, can you prioritise charging the battery?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Rather than heating water via the Eddi, can you prioritise charging the battery?

I'm pretty sure it does that as part of the setup. If you have Eddi and Zappi, it will prioritise direct use first, then battery, when that's full then the car, and when that's full then the Eddi (as you rightly pointed out and I've been saying for years, the value of a kWh going into immersion is only 5c/kWh)

33kwh generated
    27kwh used
    2kwh imported
    8kwh exported

That's what's actually happening at the moment, the battery gets charged up first, then the excess goes to the eddi.

I am told some people do the opposite, heat the water first and then charge the battery, and I can tweak the eddi settings to do that, but I think battery first is better.

The eddi and the inverter dont talk to each other, all that happens is the eddi detects a surplus going out and grabs it. That surplus only goes out once the inverter has finished charging the battery.

I can turn on or off ac charge for the battery (currently it is off, and will stay that way till winter sets in). Would be cool if I could disable DC charge of the battery as well, so for example, I could turn off DC charge between 6am and 8am, and then the excess would go straight to the eddi.

There are other ways if doing it, by tweaking the parameters on the eddi, but it is tracking so well now, I am reluctant to change it.

I am told some people do the opposite, heat the water first and then charge the battery

That would be insane. The whole idea of the battery is that you can discharge it all or mostly at the full day rate of 18c/kWh, either during the day (put kettle on while it rains) or during the evening when you have little or no solar

Heating your water is only worth 5c/kWh

And someone doing it because otherwise you'd "hurt" the battery too much (increase the number of cycles), shouldn't have got a battery in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

I went after the low hanging fruit, the base load, which is between 200 and 400 watt during daylight hours, though it's slightly higher in the evenings when I'm getting virtually nothing on solar.

As I've mains gas all heat (space/water/cooking) is from that as it's 5c per kw/h which trashes night rate electricity. If only I charge the car using it!

80kw/h gone off the electricity bill last month compared to the month before (only have solar a month) so our day/night split has improved from 48%/52% to 35%/65%. Bill should land around the €100 mark I think (fag box maths). Looking currently like a 4 year payback, but winter will be worse for solar, so probably 5 years.

Can't justify a diverter or a lithium battery when gas is 5c per kw/h. Payback is just too long.
    We're in a similar situation, what setup did you go for?

Hopefully this pile will be generating by the evening !!!

Hopefully this pile will be generating by the evening !!!
    I'm envious it's like Christmas...except sunny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Mr Q

unkel wrote: »

Heating your water is only worth 5c/kWh

Unkel are those prices based on gas?

Mr Q wrote: »
    Unkel are those prices based on gas?

Yes. With an efficient condensing gas boiler. A tiny bit more expensive with oil, but a good bit more expensive if you use an inefficient gas or oil boiler or if you use solid fuel that you have to buy, etc.

Looking better 7 x 2 x 300

Looking better 7 x 2 x 300

Nice,

Is it up and running ?

Nice and tidy. Hope they didn't drill your tiles and used proper flashing?

Nice and tidy. Hope they didn't drill your tiles and used proper flashing?

yes all good,

Nice,

Is it up and running ?

Batteries.

Being configured now.

Batteries.

Being configured now.

Eddi and interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Would any of you guys in the know be able to put a number on a rough price for all the parts for a system in the 3.6kw range without a battery? Trying to gauge whether it’s worth my while looking at options for not going the grant route

• Advertisement

Rough, rough guide from the top of my head, prices from large Irish seller incl VAT

12 * 300Wp = 12*125 = 1500
    Solis 3.6kW inverter 700
    materials 300

So about €2.5k

Don't pin me down on a hundred here or there, just a rough guide to give you an idea

9.00 am , I'm exporting to the grid.

Panic.

Quick switch on some lights

Cant let that pesky esb get it.

Rough, rough guide from the top of my head, prices from large Irish seller incl VAT

12 * 300Wp = 12*125 = 1500
    Solis 3.6kW inverter 700
    materials 300

So about €2.5k

Don't pin me down on a hundred here or there, just a rough guide to give you an idea

Any recommendations on a brand of 300W PV panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Wexfordman you seem to have the most detailed monitoring information. What are you using for that please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Water John wrote: »

Hopefully. They could have at least showed a picture of solar PV

• Advertisement

spose wrote: »
    Wexfordman you seem to have the most detailed monitoring information. What are you using for that please?

http://www.givenergy.cloud/GivManage/login

It's the monitoring system that comes with the givenergy inverters, link to it attached where you can view a demo. If viewing on your phone, you need to change to desktop mode. App due out soon

Monitoring and being able to view how your system is performing I think is ine if the most important things in the system.

I guess there's no recommended brand then.

bunderoon wrote: »
    I guess there's no recommended brand then.

I am guessing that's because it's a very subjective question, like what brand of car is best, I couldn't answer that question either.

You would probably want to research warranty, degradation, aesthetics, size, power, price, there are so many variables.

I am guessing that's because it's a very subjective question, like what brand of car is best, I couldn't answer that question either.

You would probably want to research warranty, degradation, aesthetics, size, power, price, there are so many variables.

Most on this thread seem to have ~300w mono 60cell Qpanels. I'm wondering what brand and where they got them from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement