Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Anyone got any recommendations on an Electrical Supplier.
    I'm about to jump ship from Electric Ireland with there Low usage charge, haven't been hit yet but I will be.

Try bonkers.ie

garo wrote: »
    October:
    Predicted: 216.9
    Actual: 193.3

November
    Predicted: 109.9
    Actual: 63.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Only 80 kWh for me last month, it was a bad month. Good news though that I most likely will hit 3MWh produced before the end of the year. System is up since February.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CiaranIRE

Anyone having any issues with the GivEnergy Portal?

Since the 20th of November mine only seems to archive what happened between 11pm-Midnight and just discards everything else.

The actual daily information is correct on the day. Just historical information is a mess. Their demo site looks like it's working fine however.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

CiaranIRE wrote: »
    Anyone having any issues with the GivEnergy Portal?

Since the 20th of November mine only seems to archive what happened between 11pm-Midnight and just discards everything else.

The actual daily information is correct on the day. Just historical information is a mess. Their demo site looks like it's working fine however.
    Was going to start a new thread for GivEnergy, I reported 3 issues to them this morning

- negative solar generation stats
    - inconstant data, monthly and annual reports show different figures for November
    - time is wrong (2hrs out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CiaranIRE

thos wrote: »
    Was going to start a new thread for GivEnergy, I reported 3 issues to them this morning

- negative solar generation stats
    - inconstant data, monthly and annual reports show different figures for November
    - time is wrong (2hrs out)

They deserve their own thread.

I've had the minus solar generation stats, the monthly data totals are only correct up to the 20th, and my time is correct but the day starts from 11pm.

I spoke to them during the summer and asked if they had a public API and they said they would release one in the coming weeks. Might follow up with them again because I can't see them ever finishing the app and the website isn't really fit for purpose.

New thread for GivEnergy discussion - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111923720

Just passed the 2MWh mark today, 5kw array south facing, installed in July.

Great day's production today also, 12kWh so far.

Been a while since I've seen a nice graph like this:
    8VB0UWR.png

It was a great day. Alas with a 4.8 kW E/W system with a 24 degree tilt I only got 3kWh. Can’t do anything about geometry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Building on approximately 16 months of successful operation, SEAI is implementing changes to the domestic solar PV scheme. This has been informed by a review of systems and costs supported so far and the objectives of the scheme. These changes are part of the continued evolution of the solar PV scheme, ahead of a transition to the future enduring support scheme for microgeneration.

The scheme changes are as follows:
    - Support for the 0-2kWp of solar installed will increase to €900 per kWp
    - Support for the 2-4kWp of solar installed will decrease to €300 per kWp
    - Support for battery installation will decrease to €600
    - The scheme will transition from a rebate post works approach to a more traditional pre-works application / grant offer model
    - To be eligible the home energy performance post-works must be BER C or better.

Homeowners can continue to apply under the existing (2019) grant amounts and terms and conditions until 5pm on 19th December 2019. The works must be completed, and all documentation submitted by 31st January 2020.

The next phase of the scheme will open for applications on 7th January 2020 when the application process will change to a more traditional pre-works grant application / offer based approach in line with the other SEAI home energy grants.

For full details on these changes, visit www.seai.ie or alternatively call 01 8082100.

Your sincerely,
    Solar PV Customer Team

• Advertisement

Not good news for people planning big install (4kwp + battery), so get in there quick, folks.

A focus on small non battery systems represents better value for tax payers money though and is also a better solution for the environmnent. A 2kwp system with no battery and no immersion diverter essentially means your base load is covered a lot of the time and anything over is just shared out for free. Which means for the country as a whole that we will need to burn a lot less fossil fuel during the day to generate electricity

Any direct link to this update? The SEAI site just seems to have the details of the current, very generous, scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

unkel wrote: »
    Not good news for people planning big install (4kwp + battery), so get in there quick, folks.

A focus on small non battery systems represents better value for tax payers money though and is also a better solution for the environmnent. A 2kwp system with no battery and no immersion diverter essentially means your base load is covered a lot of the time and anything over is just shared out for free. Which means for the country as a whole that we will need to burn a lot less fossil fuel during the day to generate electricity

Any direct link to this update? The SEAI site just seems to have the details of the current, very generous, scheme.
    That was from an email to installers.

Your point is well made. Ecologically it would be far better to see 6kw systems with no baattery and a feed in tariff rather than 4kw systems with batteries. Hopefully that is what the microgeneration scheme will introduce.

I don't understand SEAI's logic in capping a non-battery system at 2kw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Haven't had time to run the numbers, but it would be interesting to work out at what sizes of systems will be better value under the new grant structure compared to the old.

Edit: Quick Calc:

System Old New
    2kW € 1,400.00 € 1,800.00
    3kW € 1,400.00 € 1,800.00
    3.75kW € 1,400.00 € 1,800.00
    2kW + battery € 2,400.00 € 2,400.00
    3kW + battery € 3,100.00 € 2,700.00
    3.75kW + battery € 3,625.00 € 2,925.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Balls, all my arsing around might have cost me.

It was a 4kw system with 4.8kwh battery I was after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Deposit paid week ago. Hopefully installers will do their best before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

I only got around to meeting my installer last thursday, with the aim being to submit after christmas. I had received some very good quotes from an installer based in Dublin, but was leaning towards a local registered installer (slightly more expensive), as I had been to 2 of his installations locally, talked to the clients and had comfort in seeing his work. From his quotes I had been leaning towards a 3KW + 2.4KWH battery, from the wording does it seem that payment of grant may now be up front to installer, this meaning that I would not be required to make full payment up front(I would currently have to borrow some of this for the 5 weeks until grant is paid back).
    Not sure what to do now, maybe this news is good for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

Also in the same boat, my install delayed to early January due to build delays. Have my SEAI application in for some time so I am ok. Key points are installation must be fully done with a valid electricity supply by the end of January. SEAI application must be in by 19th December.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

84.01 kWh for November.

3 kw System, south facing in Dublin 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭rob w

So does that mean if you install a 4kw system after the old grant period expires you would now get €900 for the first 2kw and €300 for the next 2kw?

So a total of €2400?

Or would you get a reduced grant of €400 less per kW in total, so 4 x €300 = €1200?

Alkers wrote: »
    Haven't had time to run the numbers, but it would be interesting to work out at what sizes of systems will be better value under the new grant structure compared to the old.

Edit: Quick Calc:

System Old New
    2kW € 1,400.00 € 1,800.00
    3kW € 1,400.00 € 1,800.00
    3.75kW € 1,400.00 € 1,800.00
    2kW + battery € 2,400.00 € 2,400.00
    3kW + battery € 3,100.00 € 2,700.00
    3.75kW + battery € 3,625.00 € 2,925.00

Don't think those figures are right?

• Advertisement

rob w wrote: »
    Don't think those figures are right?

What are you getting?

Alkers wrote: »
    What are you getting?

3kw old = €2100
    3.75kw old = €2625

Also, depending on whether the grant for a 2kw plus system pays 900/kW up to 2kw and and 300/kw after the new figures might be more?

Sorry posting from phone so can't put them in a table.

rob w wrote: »
    3kw old = €2100
    3.75kw old = €2625

Nope, you are wrong. You don't get a subsidy for more panels if you are going above 2kwp without battery (old or new)

Nope, you are wrong. You don't get a subsidy for more panels if you are going above 2kwp without battery (old or new)

OK no problem, didn't know that about the 2kw limit for battery!

What's the most competitive quote people have seen for a 2kW system with no battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

4350 inc vat before grant for a 2.1kwh. East west split using solis inverter and 300w panels. in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

phester28 wrote: »
    4350 inc vat before grant for a 2.1kwh. East west split using solis inverter and 300w panels. in cork

Sweet Jesus, Solartricity are selling a full 1.8kW kit for about €1600

air wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, Solartricity are selling a full 1.8kW kit for about €1600

Yup that was after shopping around. plenty of money being made at installation. That is also a slate roof so it is a little slower for installation

phester28 wrote: »

So after grant it should be possible to get it for 2.5k easily, especially as we're not a split system

• Advertisement

My guess is after grant + Ber 2.5k sounds like a typical price spit system or not. (it should not make much difference) I hope you get more feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok I have posted on this before....my usage is crazy....no chance reducing it....so at the moment my base is 0.5kWh all the time.

As winter is in the immersion is back on 24x7....

So I’m wondering, would I get better out of waiting and just installing the 2kWh system? Or stick in 4kWh now? Dealer contacted this morning and has slots....

I have zappi but I think I need over 1.4 before it starts pushing to car?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok I have posted on this before....my usage is crazy....no chance reducing it....so at the moment my base is 0.5kWh all the time.

So I’m wondering, would I get better out of waiting and just installing the 2kWh system? Or stick in 4kWh now? Dealer contacted this morning and has slots....

I have zappi but I think I need over 1.4 before it starts pushing to car?

We have 300w without an immersion, if your immersion is on 24/7 you would have a much higher load than than and you might benefit more from hot water panels than PV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you talking about the battery or the panels?.... kWh is battery capacity.

If you are talking about the panels you should use kWp. Very different meaning and hence answers! :)

KCross wrote: »
    Are you talking about the battery or the panels?.... kWh is battery capacity.

If you are talking about the panels you should use kWp. Very different meaning and hence answers! :)

Panels

Always make that mistake

You have a Zappi and if your car is regularly at home (you have 2 EVs now?) and plugged in, that is just about the best use case for sticking excess PV production into your car as it is worth 8c/kWh (immersion is only worth 5c/kWh and if we get a FIT, that will probably only be worth 5c/kWh too and sticking it into a heavily subsidised battery is only borderline profitable)

Panels are very cheap, if you have the roof space (and I think you do), I would install as big a system as you can. Up to you if you want to go battery or not. The subsidy is very generous.

• Advertisement

You have a Zappi and if your car is regularly at home (you have 2 EVs now?) and plugged in, that is just about the best use case for sticking excess PV production into your car as it is worth 8c/kWh (immersion is only worth 5c/kWh and if we get a FIT, that will probably only be worth 5c/kWh too and sticking it into a heavily subsidised battery is only borderline profitable)

Panels are very cheap, if you have the roof space (and I think you do), I would install as big a system as you can. Up to you if you want to go battery or not. The subsidy is very generous.

Are panels cheap? Like what would 6kw without battery be these days

Are panels cheap? Like what would 6kw without battery be these days

A 310W panel is €105.50 + VAT full retail price, so 19 of these give you just short of 6kwp for €2k + VAT

Plus of course inverter, other materials and install costs, minus any subsidies. Gives you roughly an idea.

A 310W panel is €105.50 + VAT full retail price, so 19 of these give you just short of 6kwp for €2k + VAT

Plus of course inverter, other materials and install costs, minus any subsidies. Gives you roughly an idea.

Ask an installer and it’s 10k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Does your space heating boiler not heat your domestic hot water?

Ask an installer and it’s 10k

Installer gets a substantial discount on the price I quoted above. That's for the panels only though. Add materials, labour ($$$) and profit ($$$$$$$$$$$$$) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Not a quote as such, but I was led onto
    https://dalasevrepair.fi/#products
    from the Nissan leaf thread and saw this

80% State of health batteries, from a Nissan Leaf

One 500Wh module, 100€/piece
    10x 500Wh modules, 90€/piece
    20x 500Wh modules, 80€/piece

That's €1600 for 8kWh (10kWh x 80%)

Pity hes in Finland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

SEAI Changing the grant to encourage people to install smaller PV system:confused:

https://www.seai.ie/news-and-media/changes-to-domestic-solar/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Got a quote in the last few days as follows, would love some thoughts from the experts here?

- East/West system (very little south facing roof space)
    - x14 Q-Peak Duo-G5 325W panels
    - GivEnergy 3.6kW hybrid inverter
    - Installation in attic & other odds and ends
    - BER assessment
    - Without battery €9350 inc VAT (before grant)
    - With a GivEnergy 2.6kWh battery €11000 inc VAT (before grant)
    - With a GivEnergy 8.2kWh battery €12750 inc VAT (before grant)

In-terms of our usage, we have two electric cars (but low enough usage), gas heating/cooking/showers, work from home most of the time so always people at home during the day. Average usage is 500kWh per month.

For the craic here is our usage by hour (totals in the first, averages in the second) for August this year. You can see we tend to boil kettles, stick the washing machine/dishwasher on when we get up at 7/8am, and we tend to plug one of the cars in when one of us gets back from work at 5pm. We could certainly tweak that behaviour somewhat to suit solar, and I could swap the car chargers for a Zappi as our cars sit on the drive most days so could be trickle charging.
    August19ElectricityUsageTotalByHour.png
    August19ElectricityUsageAverageByHour.png

So would love some input on the sizing of the array, battery and inverter given our usage, and of course on the price itself. Obviously with the grant changing from 19th of this month it would make sense to order a system of this size before then, but maybe ye will all say it's too expensive, far too big, whatever and the new grant will be fine for a smaller system. Was not hoping to spend this kind of money until later next year if I'm being honest...

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Got a quote in the last few days as follows, would love some thoughts from the experts here?

- East/West system (very little south facing roof space)
    - x14 Q-Peak Duo-G5 325W panels
    - GivEnergy 3.6kW hybrid inverter
    - Installation in attic & other odds and ends
    - BER assessment
    - Without battery €9350 inc VAT (before grant)
    - With a GivEnergy 2.6kWh battery €11000 inc VAT (before grant)
    - With a GivEnergy 8.2kWh battery €12750 inc VAT (before grant)

In-terms of our usage, we have two electric cars (but low enough usage), gas heating/cooking/showers, work from home most of the time so always people at home during the day. Average usage is 500kWh per month.

For the craic here is our usage by hour (totals in the first, averages in the second) for August this year. You can see we tend to boil kettles, stick the washing machine/dishwasher on when we get up at 7/8am, and we tend to plug one of the cars in when one of us gets back from work at 5pm. We could certainly tweak that behaviour somewhat to suit solar, and I could swap the car chargers for a Zappi as our cars sit on the drive most days so could be trickle charging.
    August19ElectricityUsageTotalByHour.png
    August19ElectricityUsageAverageByHour.png

So would love some input on the sizing of the array, battery and inverter given our usage, and of course on the price itself. Obviously with the grant changing from 19th of this month it would make sense to order a system of this size before then, but maybe ye will all say it's too expensive, far too big, whatever and the new grant will be fine for a smaller system. Was not hoping to spend this kind of money until later next year if I'm being honest...

Thanks!

4.5kwp of panels with a 3.6kw inverter ? Should they not be giving you a 5kw inverter ?

Also, is there not a mid size battery option, seems that either a 2.6kwh or 8.2kwh option is missing an option for a 5kwh battery which would prob work better for you than the larger one ? Bearing in mind you already have 2 large batteries in your cars
    ?

4.5kwp of panels with a 3.6kw inverter ? Should they not be giving you a 5kw inverter ?

Also, is there not a mid size battery option, seems that either a 2.6kwh or 8.2kwh option is missing an option for a 5kwh battery which would prob work better for you than the larger one ? Bearing in mind you already have 2 large batteries in your cars
    ?

Good question on the inverter, my guess here (and I'll confirm during a site visit) is that because the system is East/West it will never generate anything near peak, guessing even seeing 3kW would be extremely good (but I'm completely guessing!).

Yes I wondered about a mid sized battery and I think there is, just didn't get a price initially. What's your thinking that 5kWh might be better than 2 or 8, is it just because it's in the middle :P or there's some math in there?

Plugging in your EVs at 5 PM? :eek:

Why don't you plug them in or set them on a timer for when the night rate comes in? Or are you going to tell us that you don't have a night rate meter? :eek: :eek:

5800 for 4.1kW plys 2kWh batter....that what it will cost me after grants....good or bad?

Plugging in your EVs at 5 PM? :eek:

Why don't you plug them in or set them on a timer for when the night rate comes in? Or are you going to tell us that you don't have a night rate meter? :eek: :eek:

We discussed this in the EV forum before actually. Don’t have a night meter and based on my usage (which I can see in detail from the Efergy) the benefit is relatively marginal.

Would love your input on the solar quote if you have any views though!

I paid €10.5k inc vat before grant for
    16 x 325w panels
    Givenergy 5kw inverter and 5.6kwh battery

As wexfordman2 says, they should have a 6.3kwh battery option also.

The 3.6kw inverter is probably on basis on lower peak power (2.2kw) given east/west split, but for future proofing I’d be asking for the 5kw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cjooconnor

Hi
    I have been reviewing the history on this thread and alot of good info.
    I recently had a supplier visit home to quote but i feel the price too high. After grant for a 2.3kw 8 panels and iboost it was coming in 8k inc vat, no battery. I had another supplier give a price over phone for roughly same setup but different manufacturer of panels and solax inverter hybrid for about 3.8k inc vat. Why would prices be so different, is it due to warranty and quality?

My average electric bill is about 80 per month and we use oil in summer to heat water. I expect to use more oil over the future as kids are getting older. Any advice would be useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement