Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security camera on my house but may see neighbours passage.

Options
  • 04-08-2018 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

So the side of my house is the party wall. It is a detached house. I wish to put a camera up on my house showing my wall in my back garden. If I put one up on the back of my house looking at my party wall it may show some small amount of movement from my neighbour side. Is that okay legally?

I would also like one on the side of my house the faces into my neighbours garden, not aimed at my neighbours but into at the side of my house. Again is that allowed or am I breaching privacy in some way?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Once it's not the back passage.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Once it's not the back passage.

Sorry.

Beat me to it. The neighbor might might welcome it. The camera could ward off an attack from the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

It is a breach of privacy if any of your neighbour's property is visable on the cameras unless you have their consent

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

Beat me to it. The neighbor might might welcome it. The camera could ward off an attack from the rear.

Define back passage 🙄

It’s the dividing side passage but it’s neighbours property...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

No matter how you install the camera it is going to look partly into yhe neighbours garden. If they are a good neighbour there should be no problem, it would be in there favor. But if bad neighbour it will be a problem.

Define back passage 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

zipee wrote: »
    Define back passage 🙄

Well I’m sure your neighbor doesn’t want intruders in his/her passage.

Ok so to come clean. It’s a neighbour with mental health issues. But he is terrorising my kids. My bushes and trees are cut to the wall... they don’t go over his wall and I pay to do that to keep the peace.

But he will still climb up and take a saw To my bushes and trees as he wants them gone and says the roots are causing cracks in the wall. The wall was built in the 1950s. He also has bushes and trees but according to him they are not causing cracks mine are! He wants me to remove every single tree dividing us. The wall is very low only 3 foot six in parts and he refuses to allow me to build us up.

I have one bedroom window on the side of my house that looks into his garden. That is a nightmare it is just how the houses were built in the 1950s. I have made it obscure glass but he still opeed to the window and put his body up to his waist inside the window shouting at the person in the room.

We don’t feel safe and my children can’t use that Middle bedroom for the fear of him coming in the window.

I just thought if I could put a camera on the party wall it might stop him from misbehaving.

It’s very hard as I know he has serious mental health issues and I would just like to live in peace and not aggravate him any more.

But to be very clear.... I don’t want to see any of their property... just damage and danger to us.

Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

But he is terrorising my kids.

I stopped reading there. Report your neighbour and a word in his ear from the cops might put him straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

I agree with the last lad. He,s a menus

Yes a menice but unfortunately once iir his mental health issues there is very little that can be done.

Neighbour on the other side went to the guards. It didn’t get us anywhere.

I need to keep relations okay as my house wall is in their garden and I need to access it to change my window in the near future and also to restore some cracks. I have to ask permission to get access to the side of my house.

I just thought if I could put a camera up and record my side of the wall and my side of the house that if he came across it I could use it.?

Nightmare situation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I just thought if I could put a camera up and record my side of the wall and my side of the house that if he came across it I could use it.?

Well some cameras can be set up with "activity zones", this means they only record when movement is detected in part of the view. So you could set it up so that it only records when movement is detected on your side, but not his side.

I am not a solicitor, but I don't think that will completely cover you legally if your neighbour was to take legal action, but it could help mitigate damages in course if you showed good faith effort to minimise overlap onto your neighbours property.

I suppose you could just get a really cheap camera and see if he says anything, if he does then take it down.

Or move it so it definitely only covers your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Stanford wrote: »
    It is a breach of privacy if any of your neighbour's property is visable on the cameras unless you have their consent

This is not true. Overspill is fine as long as the ops camera is mainly focused on his own property and efforts are made to minimise overspill.

If the op stuck a camera up on a pole and focused it entirely on the neighbour it would be a breech, but that isn't the case here.

Advertisement