Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He's looking a little old in the eyes - often the big giveaway of advancing years IMO - but lord I hope I age as well & gracefully as Stewart. Man's a legend.

Akiva Goldsman though, how the hell did he get near Trek?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    He's looking a little old in the eyes - often the big giveaway of advancing years IMO - but lord I hope I age as well & gracefully as Stewart. Man's a legend.

I don't know but if that is him at the top of the table he seems to be very happy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

pixelburp wrote: »

Serve as executive producer on Disco and that will get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The article also mentions it won't be a limited series, with an eye for multiple runs. That's particularly interesting, as it presumably negates any theory this is to be a 'last hurrah' as such for Picard - unless Season 1 will be a 'passing the torch' arc of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Q gets kicked out of the Continuum again and loses his powers, Picard takes him in and they live together like the Odd Couple, I would so watch the **** out of that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

tng44.jpg

Me too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

They tried something new with Discovery and what happened?
    How is another prequel, trying something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

How is another prequel, trying something new?

This. No more prequels please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The Q trial might still be going on, The Continuum and Crusher/" The Travellers" could be great storyline.

Wasn't Q about to tell Picard something in the final episode that might have began with "I...."

The theory that the continuum is humanity doesn't make any sense to me anyway because how could they have come back to save humanity in TNG final if it was already destroyed in their past, humanity could not have evolved into the continuum. Unless it never actually happened in the first place or "The Travellers" had something to do with helping humanity because of the importance of Crusher.
    20 years to learn how to traverse through time is plenty for Wesley Crusher! Think it was 25 years in the final though so perhaps the timeline will be in between then and the last episode?

• Advertisement

The Q trial might still be going on, The Continuum and Crusher/" The Travellers" could be great storyline.

Wasn't Q about to tell Picard something in the final episode that might have began with "I...."

The theory that the continuum is humanity doesn't make any sense to me anyway because how could they have come back to save humanity in TNG final if it was already destroyed in their past, humanity could not have evolved into the continuum.

The Paradox. :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

More like "....." *smirk*.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Some small nuggets here, mentions "Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire," Kurtzman tells THR after the first JJ film, and also on appearance of other TNG cast members "Anything could happen"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-patrick-stewarts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

WHOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty cool, lets hope its not too short!

I could imagine the Discovery spin-off with Michelle Yeoh will be good, she was a bad ass in Discovery. Could be a perfect follow-up to Picard! Only rewatched Nemesis there the other night best TNG film imo, Tom Hardy is brilliant. Would have been cool to have a younger years with Tom Hardy playing Picard, past the age for it now though! Probably the only person capable of fulfilling the role of Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably the only person capable of fulfilling the role of Picard.
    I don't know, you don't feel any break in continuity between James McEvoy and Patrick Stewart in X-Men.

It's a very different character, I don't think McEvoy would be a good young Picard, but it goes to show that appearance is only a tiny part of finding the right actor to play a younger version.

Also, Hardy is still only 41. Stewart was 47 when he started on TNG. Some fancy makeup could chop ten years off that, giving us a post-surgery officer Picard.

If they did need to recast a younger Picard, I'd hope they lean towards another relative unknown actor instead of a big name. Not that Chris Pine was unknown himself, but he was already a movie actor so it was inevitable he'd try and wriggle his way out of future Trek commitments.

seamus wrote: »
    I don't know, you don't feel any break in continuity between James McEvoy and Patrick Stewart in X-Men.

It's a very different character, I don't think McEvoy would be a good young Picard, but it goes to show that appearance is only a tiny part of finding the right actor to play a younger version.

Also, Hardy is still only 41. Stewart was 47 when he started on TNG. Some fancy makeup could chop ten years off that, giving us a post-surgery officer Picard.

He's another great actor I'd agree. He wouldn't be fitting for Picard though, but he probably could pull it off. Not too sure. By the time they got around to doing a young version, if ever! he'd be too old.

I'd like Bryan Cranston to play the role with his bald look from Breaking Bad.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Tom Hardy's a good actor but I never liked his casting as a young / cloned Picard. Just didn't buy it, at all. Wouldn't want to see that again.

Cranston would be too old at this stage to play a "younger" Picard. He'd be playing the Picard we saw in the TV show, or even the movies, and that would be problematic.

From the known names, I'd be happy with McEvoy.

Although if there are any (short) flashbacks I could see them doing some de-ageing CG work on Stewart. Probably the best / safest option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Inviere

Some small nuggets here, mentions "Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire," Kurtzman tells THR after the first JJ film, and also on appearance of other TNG cast members "Anything could happen"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-patrick-stewarts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452

I wonder does that mean he's living life as some kind of 'humanitarian' then, giving his all to assist in the integration of the remains of the Romulan Empire into the Federation. Perhaps he had a Romulan wife who died in the Red Matter event? Who knows, interesting scope for the character though.

Inviere wrote: »
    I wonder does that mean he's living life as some kind of 'humanitarian' then, giving his all to assist in the integration of the remains of the Romulan Empire into the Federation. Perhaps he had a Romulan wife who died in the Red Matter event? Who knows, interesting scope for the character though.

The quote gives the wrong impression that this will include the JJ timeline, if you read the article fully it's clearer that they just mean were the last Next Generation picture left off, ie. with the Romulan empire in disarray after Shinzons rebellion.

I hope / guess the Romulan Empire isn't completely destroyed, as that'd be a bit reductionist given the size and complexity of their reach. Presumably they'll be exploring the power vacuum created by the Romulans inability to protect and control said empire, leaving it open to invasion and exploitation.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    if you read the article fully it's clearer that they just mean were the last Next Generation picture left off, ie. with the Romulan empire in disarray after Shinzons rebellion.

Is it? Admittedly I'm speed-reading / scanning, but –
    a cataclysmic event depicted in J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie impacted Picard in a big way. In that film, written by Kurtzman and former producing partner Roberto Orci, it was revealed that Nimoy's Spock failed to save the Romulan homeworld Romulus from a supernova several years after the events of Nemesis.

[...]

The destruction of Romulus would also have extra resonance for Picard

Seems clear enough that they are referencing the '09 film, which Kurtzman co-wrote.

Would love to see Denise Crosby back playing Sela! And Wil Wheaton to give Wesley Crusher a decent epilogue.

I mean obviously you could shoehorn in any of the old TNG cast and it'd be delightful to see them, but those two in particular I think deserve a bit more than they got in the original run. (Presumably easier to get hold of / less financially demanding than the other regulars too :P)

Yeh defo sounds like the JJ film with regards the destruction of Romulus etc. But I’d imagine it’s the normal universe from that point on and not the changed JJ timeline.

But I’d imagine it’s the normal universe from that point on and not the changed JJ timeline.

Oh, yeah. The timeline forked when Nero's ship arrived back in George Kirk's time, not when it left.

Destruction of Romulus was prime timeline. Nero and Spock then travelled back in time, causing the "Kelvin Timeline". Prime timeline still exists and Romulus is still destroyed (although Vulcan isn't!).

Only thing that might stand in the way of that is real-world copyright issues. I.e. if they're not even allowed to reference what was in that ST '09 script. Hopefully that's not the case.

Yeh exactly nothing will be changed in the universe except for Romulus is destroyed and Spock took off in the time ship and was never seen again.

If the pre JJ movie comic is canon then isn’t Data Alive in that ? Him and Geordi build that time ship, is that right or am I going mad.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is it? Admittedly I'm speed-reading / scanning, but –

Seems clear enough that they are referencing the '09 film, which Kurtzman co-wrote.

Your right. On a re-read they do hammer on about JJ's film. The only quoted bit from Kurtzman is one sentence though. How reliable is THR I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ugh, I was hoping they'd just ignore what ST2009 contributed to the prime universe. I wish Kurtzman wasn't involved in this.

Advertisement