Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Hey look on the bright side, it's the last season Raffi could die.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Or.. wow, can you imagine... maybe Picard will d... Oh wait, no. They did that already 🙃

😫

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭McFly85

I would less surprised if the entire TNG cast bit the bullet and the ending sets up a new show called Star Trek: Raffi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The positivity I'm taking from all this, is that all the TNG cast's kids & grandkids will probably inherit a nice chunk of cheddar for this "money for old (t)rope" work.

Who'd have thought that 2009 reboot's lasting effect was to poison the entire well of Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Boy, they REALLY should have rethought that last line.....

Spiner... AGAIN! And Perry from Kevin and Perry (I know I used that joke before but come on...

I've also said it before that they do good (and misleading) trailers. But yeah. This does nothing for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The current team make good trailers. Sadly not much else.

Another Discovery style kinky, camp, panto villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wow, Geordi looks pissed! .. understandably given the story over the seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

There’s still a chance that Season 3 will be watchable…but dear god that was a mess of a trailer. All…and I mean ALL of the tropes and bad habits of modern movie trailers on display here. If they wanted to press the TNG ‘memberberries they just needed a subtile hint, a tune here, and familiar face there. But no, it’s the Pew-Pew stutter-music action slock that puts me off pretty much anything it’s used with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I hate the mirror universe ****. Despise it, no more. I hate section 31 almost as much now thanks to the complete overuse in Disco.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

I bet Moriarty is a misdirect. They love a "taadaa" reveal finale so I don't think they will give him away if he is the bad guy.

He will either be a dream or Picard will need to use him Silence of the Lambs style.

Also anytime I see him now I just think Badgey

Now I want to actually see Badgey appear in this. Him and Moriarty trying to destroy the Federation. Would love every second.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's something about the trailer that seems off to me. There's just not enough variety in it to fill a series there. There seems to be enough for two episodes, the initial setup, and second episode of Bev's ship being found and the ambush. I'd like to think there's a lot more to be revealed for the remaining 8 episodes. But I've a funny feeling I had the same impression for season 2, but instead we had a lot of Chateau flashbacks and an entire episode wasted on the FBI interrogation.

What the fuk was the point of FBI guy. God s2 is possibly one of the worst series of anything ever.

It's like the South Park joke of plots written by manatees.

Modern Star Trek taking too many hints from the Arrowverse. Big opener, tread water until, big finisher. Nothing in the middle matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

It'll be one old character introduced each week with their own key episode, showing how they've each become totally different people in the years since we saw them. That'll be spliced together with the "season arc" story of Picard struggling with his demons and chasing the darkness, or running from the darkness, or sitting in darkness, or whatever so long as it's dark, until the A and B stories converge for the week thus expanding the crew by one dear old friend at the end of each episode. The gang's all there for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,585 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Most annoying of all is that the basic concept of a Picard show could have been really good. They just had no need to go for these massive universe ending stories - i'd have loved if it instead focused on some small local story or mystery, far beneath Starfleet, that Picard picks up on and gets involved in because he's the kind of guy who simply can't just stand by. Something a bit more 'Harry Brown' meets 'Mr Holmes'. Instead we've just got more false nostalgia (which doesn't even have the decency to reflect what TNG actually was) and splashy distracty nonsense. :-/

So in the universe of never ending callbacks the main ship this season is the Constitution mklll class Titan - A which like every ship I believe was a winner of some obscure fan competition way back. So we are even getting "A" ships for names we never even cared about.

A few other Star Trek Online ships are to make an appearance too.

Indeed. The first couple of episodes of season 1 were very good. I especially loved a scene where he goes asking for a ship to be met with a cry of incredulity ("The sheer f*cking ARROGANCE of you"). You are right. It SHOULD have been that. Low key (But important) situations to solve. As they introduced the Romulans so heavily at the start, it could have been a great chance to make them more three-dimensional. Could have REALLY opened up the Trek universe.

Let's be brutally honest: For all the fact that they have been around since TOS, the Klingons and the Vulcans really are one-dimensional: Nobel Warrior and cold logic. Strange New Worlds helped with the Vulcans a bit. The chemistry between Spock and T'Pring was fantastic. But they are still pretty one-note.

Here you had an opportunity to really explore a "new" race. So similar to us in ways and so different in others. Just thinking as I type (So it may make NO sense/or may clash with continuity) Have Picard investigate a murder-mystery within the Romulan community. Hell, you could even have brought back Denise Crosby as a cameo if you wanted the memberberries. This could even have led to (yet another) spinoff. But one that could be interesting. A Romulan series set in the Picard timeline. It could have focused on Talinn if they wanted and had a bigger story there as she would not be burdened by such an esteemed legacy. Her investigating the machinations of the Tal Shiar (And specifically Sela if you wanted) as they try to rebuild. Heck, you could even loop in Section 31. Have them working together with Sela to rebuild them BOTH by manufacturing/creating some bigger threat - Something that soon gets out of control. (Just dial back the Irish by about 25%. No more "Cheeky feckers" please). There ya go. TWO spinoffs.

As it is, they have now lost their most engaging character (Ramos). Initially I described him as a poor-man's Han Solo but he rapidly grew on me (Including his (hopefully) intentionally terrible Hologram crew). And I especially liked him last season (The best bit in the show - along with the Baltar cameo).

Anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, I'm sure that there are fans on STO that love those ships, but the arse on that ship approaching the starbase with the massive impulse drives is kind of awful. It just looks really unbalanced to me

• Advertisement

Part of it looks like the back of a Star Destroyer.

I never liked the STO designs. They are for a computer game which always have wacky mods and variants which doesn't work in a show.

Also I just don't have any emotional connection to the books or games which seems to be about 90% of the Trek the current show runners are into.

I don't understand why they didn't just give 7 the Stargazer rather than trying to get the viewer invested in another random ship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Nu-Trek ship designs have been generally awful stuff altogether; La Sirena an absolute affront to anything resembling aesthetic design, and looked more like something bought from a Stock Library than anything produced by a production team.

Controversial as it is to say, I still hold a candle for the Discovery, precisely because it clearly had an artistic direction: maybe people don't like it, and its practicality questionable - but the Ralph McQuarrie inspired ship had an arresting look that remains unique to Trek.

I really liked the Shenzhou despite it being a little busy looking and season 1 had a few ok ones. S2 has crap like the Stealth ship and the s3 designs are generic rubbish.

I'm still very curious to see how NCO Crewman Seven of Nine got reactivated into Starfleet into an officer's rank that got her close enough to a Captaincy in a mere handful of years. Having Lieutenant Raffi telling people that she should be a Captian doesn't seem like enough to make that happen.

It's kind of reminding me of the time Garak was messing about with Worf about joining Starfleet Academy. Suggesting that he was so awesome that he could probably just skip the lower ranks and go right to Lieutenant. That was enough clue Worf in that Garak wasn't serious....but is that enough for the Picard writers?

There was absolutely no reason why she should have been the one to sit in the captains chair on the Stargazer at the end of s2. Absolutely ridiculous fan service shte.

She was denied entry to Starfleet Academy and is now a captain. You would be well pised if you were busting your arss for Starfleet for years and still a lieutenant.

Yeah the Shenzhou was neat, if as you say a tad "busy" in its look. But that's generally the problem with all the ship design in NuTrek. There's a weird compulsion to just add geometry and angles everywhere for no other reason than ... I dunno. We live in a HD era so you wanna show off that detail?

It's funny 'cos the ships on The Expanse were nothing more than flying bricks half the time yet their silhouettes were often much more striking and recognisable. I could sketch you a rough drawing of the Rocinante - yet La Sirena? PFfffh.

But that bridge on the new trailer. I know it was mentioned earlier as being a horror show. It is AWFUL. To paraphrase Duff Brewery master brewers: "Needs more dog... steps. Oh, and more lights but, somehow, darker"

It's basically the Stargazer bridge which is more reason to just use the Stargazer.

Can you imagine Harry Kim finding out about this :P He must be *at least* Lieutenant (Junior Grade) by now :D

I think Season 2 mentioned something about rejecting Seven from formally joining Starfleet and that Janeway even threatened to resign on the back of that (which she clearly didn't based on Nemesis). I was kind of assuming that given Seven's experence as an active Crewman she could have continued as an NCO and went the way of O'Brien to become a Chief Petty Officer. Not an "Officer" in the strictest sense, but clearly a valuable member of the fleet. Seven would have been pretty useful to Starfleet Command in their anti-Borg planning and tech, so it is baffiling that they would reject her membership. I get that the writers needed her to be away from Starfleet to pull off this "Lone-Wolf Space Warrior" thing they had planned for her, but they needed a better reason than Starfleet going: "An ex-Borg with years of experience intergrating Borg & Starfleet tech? Nah....you're grand...thanks anyway..."

The whole Borg thing being their basis for rejection doesn't sit well in my head either. If ST:Prodigy is cannon (I know...if ), then the ex-Marquis members of the crew did get commisioned since Chakotay did get his captaincy, and Starfleet really seemed to have a hangup about The Marquis. If Marquis can get in, surely a helpful victim of the Borg is golden?

But nah....no Starfleet for you Seven. Or...at least not until Raffi brings the idea out of the Ether in S2, and then insists that not only is Seven Starfleet material, but also *Captain* material. Raffi feels a bit like a a proxy for the writers who have now decided that Seven is now command material and need that thread out there. It would have made more sense for Picard to say it (the one who actually has been a Captain, with years of command experience) and then him handing command to Seven at the end would have sit better. Hell, that should have been an arc between Picard & Seven thoughout the season, and not just Raffi suddenly bigging up her ex-girlfriend's career chances.

All that said...will Seven be a good Trek Captain? I think, maybe? Seven is one of the better characters in Picard I feel, but I hope they remember to write her as an actual Captain and not just Burnham it up.

• Advertisement

The Shenzhou's main problem is it's upside down.

On Seven's rank do we know how long it's been since season two? Pulling a Kurk or Riker and getting to Commander in about five years isn't unheard of. There's even Captains with less time in Starfleet than Voyager season six Harry Kim.

Advertisement