Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe Seven is a captain now because the Warm-n-Fuzzy Borg are now part of the Federation :trollface:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Rikers was a commander though.

She was never even an ensign. She would have to pull a Tilly Riker double.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have that Simpsons "No Homers club" scene in my head right now.

"Sorry, no Borgs". "But you let Icheb in". "Says no Borgs. We're allowed have one".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

If it's been a few years since season two it wouldn't be unheard of that she's gone from ensign to commander in that time. That or Fenris has joined the Federation and she got in as part of absorbing the Fenrisian Rangers. That was one of the hurdles with Bajor joining the Federation, integrating the Bajoran Militia into Starfleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

*sigh*

They are going to mess this up again aren't they?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't watch it, you know it makes sense. Fool me once n all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

US military has doctors as commissioned officers but the rank they join at after their training varies based on their medical experience, we also have some of the higher positions in law enforcement coming from outside (Ireland included).

As with medicine, the same could be said to apply for other fields in starfleet. Seven could have raked up a load of doctorates or maybe without and done the same.

They wouldn't have had to even incorporate the Fenrisian Rangers for her to join and be granted that rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm probably going to watch this, but experiece has now taught me to be very wary after Episode 2/3. I have very little faith of them writing enough material for 8 episodes, and fully expect them to pull off the same time-wasting nonsense we saw in Season 2. Hopefully I'm wrong, and that hope will have me watching this time.

However, if Weasley turns up again with that stupid grin he had on his face in the S2 finale, heavy items will be thrown at the screen.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't it make sense though to hold off 'til some consensus leaks through - save yourself some time and broken TVs? To be fair, I'd be happy to return to this, if I saw trust opinions saying "... actually, it's good this time!", but not 'til a few episodes aired at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭McFly85

It really bothered me that the used the supernova as an excuse to turn the Romulans into a bunch of space nomads overnight. The Romulan empire would be in disarray for sure, but the leadership should have survived(given the fact that the Romulans had enough time to go ask Spock for help), and presumably the Romulan empire includes multiple star systems, they’d be a pretty stupid race to not have a backup location.

I always thought a story about Picard as an admiral leading the aid efforts to the Romulan Empire after the supernova(kind of like how it showed him doing) , before being swept in to a conspiracy about the actual cause of the event and what it would mean for the galaxy would be a good one.

It would keep the series based in Starfleet while giving us a series centered on the last great adversary of the galaxy. Picard never had any tolerance for institutionalised secrets anyway so you would imagine he’d be determined to get to the truth regardless of who it affected.

But I suppose then that would have limited the opportunity for Brent Spiner to come back as yet another Noonien Soong🙄

I'm gonna watch it out of curiosity. Unlike season 2 I wont be at all upset if it's sht because I have no expectations after that disaster of a season.

The Romulan situation annoys me too but there might be another factor to it. Shinzon killed the entire government a few years earlier leaving no real successor, and the Romulan Star Empire doesn't seem like the most stable nation at the best of times, so they could have been fractured or barely holding together before the lost their home system to the supernova.

This doesn't excuse the warrior space nuns, absolute candor, real fake doors, throuple marriages, and all the other definitely-canon-but-not-depicted-on-screen-for-some-reason fanfiction the original showrunner published.

Ordinarily I'd probably do the same, mostly out of morbid curiosity but Season 2 was just so so soooo bad, and there's just so much good TV out there - even SciFi - it just seems like a waste of my time. Plus, admittedly, with two 2-and-unders our TV time has become precious. Can't be wasting it on shíte 😂That and if you're watching it minus the help of the High Seas it's just rewarding those making it.

I was thinking the same about Shinzon.

Trek has always had an annoying problem too where when it suits the writers the Klingon Empire (Praxis), the Romulans or the Federation are suddenly boiled down to 1 planet.

I get that but they were Empires. And arnt Empires by nature very centralised with little control or thought given to outlier colonies or lands. Nearly everything feeds the capital.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The whole Romulan nomad thing makes no sense. They had an empire. 100s of planets in size. Just move. Done.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Na that doesn't add up. The Romulan supernova would not have wiped out the Romulan fleet. There is no reason why they would be destitute without Starfleets help.

They could easily have raised their own rescue fleet just as quickly and would not be living in gifted shantytown planets.

But when the Praetor dies after he's killed all the Senators, probably some senior Tal'Shiar and admirals who takes over with no clear successor? It's kind of a recipe for civil war that probably would be interesting to see unfold, if given to someone competent.

• Advertisement

The Civil War storyline on STO was interesting and made sense that the Empire would fracture.

All Eyes On Rafah

I never got around to STO and since I got a little too into Neverwinter for a few months I don't do MMOs.

Trekyards claiming the altered Spacedock in the latest trailer may actually be a space museum.

possibly NCC1701-A? This where our surviving hero ships go?

All Eyes On Rafah

Would take you a long time to visit all those ships and that station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Challenge Accepted! 🙂

They have referenced a fleet museum and in Relics Picard says there's a Constitution class there but since they were in the holodeck on the bridge of the Enterprise you'd think he would have mentioned if it was the A.

Could that be the Defiant there though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I never cared for Beverly Crusher in TNG. She was just so one dimensional. There was one good episode where she featured prominently where the ship began to disappear in sections at a time, that's it. So it doesn't bode well she's making a return in Picard.

I do recall in the ST:The Next Generation movie the female Klingon warriors see her through Geordi's visor and go uuuugh. I always laugh at that which I do myself if not for exactly the same reason.

About the only think I'd miss about the Picard series is the theme music. Guess I'll watch S3 on those days I've nothing better to do.

One of the writers of Picard did troll everyone by saying we all need to watch Sub Rosa again before the new season.

I'd rewatch Sub Rosa before any episode of Picard so it's not the own he thinks it is.

• Advertisement

In some sort of bizarre twist I'm hearing season three might be relatively good. My brain can't proscess how and I won't be getting my hopes up anyway.

Advertisement