Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do, it's doing exactly what you just asked for. It's not as silly as Lower Decks either.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Although it is a children's show it is still quite good.

If you have that channel, it is showing from the start again from tomorrow. It finished the last run of it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't call Prodigy a continuation of Trek post Voyager though. It kinda exists in its own world a bit like Lower Decks.

• Advertisement

Janeway (the real one) and Chakotay, as played by Mulgrew and Beltran, feature prominently and have stories around them, Prodigy is as much a continuation of Voyager Trek as Picard is of TNG Trek. Being animated doesn't relegate any story to not being a part of canon.

Not worried about it being part of canon or anything like that.

I took @Brian?'s post as meaning he wanted a show set post Voyager timewise continuing on the timeline the way Bermantrek did.

That's why I don't think Prodigy fits as "doing exactly what he asked for"

I don’t think it is either. But I’ll watch first to see.

I want a new program the way DS9 or Voyager was new. Not more nostalgia

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If I put money on what might follow Discovery when it finishes up, I'd say that show might be when we finally get a proper post-Nemesis Trek. Assuming it's not coopted into a 7of9 spin-off or something - which does, admittedly, feel a touch more likely given the obsession with masturbatory nostalgia.

The spin off should have been Rios on the Stargazer.

It wouldn't be hard to do a non nostalgia show. Loads of the SNW plots could easily have been set in the 2400s.

I just want to know how the section of universe we know is getting on post the shows I loved. I liked the XB story in Picard and the LD trip to DS9 was good because it was one of the few times anything addressed the post Dominion Gamma Quadrant even if mostly played for laughs and nostalgia.

• Advertisement

How about if Prodigy was, live action, set on the Protostar, told from Chatokay and his crew's pov and the adventures of the kids was condensed into a two parter as part of the voyages of the Protostar.

That's just Star Trek:A Cuchi Moya. A Picard style show for Voyager. It would be alright but ide rather a show with no ties and definitely no Chakotay.

I think you are under the impression that Prodigy is being insulted or talked down because it's a cartoon which isnt the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Jesus Christ. That's some review (skip the first couple of paragraphs).

TLDR: As expected. Dull, grim, "Out of character"... uh, characters.

Please let it die. Please let Disco die. Please let Section 31 die. WHY do we need SIX Trek shows?

Leave us the wonderful SNW, the funny (and surprisingly loyal) Lower Decks. Leave us with Prodigy. I have not watched it cos Janeway's voice is like nails on a blackboard fir me. But I hear its good fun fir what it is.

We went DECADES without Trek. We will take quality over quantity any day.

Please let them die. Its cruel to everyone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unfortunately, if the YouTube comments from the trailers are anything to go by, there's still a large swathe of the audience who are entertained simply by Famous Actor Doing the Thing - oh but they get chills. You know: morons. This will do gangbusters on pure mastabatory nostalgia alone.

There is a lot of nitpicking in that article but the bit that stuck out for me was "The plot is stretched so thin" as worrying.

The first 2 seasons and half of Disco feel like they could have just been a movie. I bet this will be the usual Walking Dead formula of 8 episodes of nothing sandwiched by the only 2 episodes you need to watch.

Sigh... unfortunately you're right. And I'll admit, I'm also guilt of being part of the problem. I'll "Hate Watch" this and Discovery. Simply out of pigheadedness to see them through to the end. And it's the wrong thing to do: They have always STARTED strong and interesting. Even Discovery. And then.... Well, it's all been said before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

a few reviews saying season 3 is actually good….. I'm going to give it a go…. Even after being viciously burnt by season 2…. Burnt/beaten/and shot… season2 was extraordinarily bad

I will watch any Star Trek they ever make. I’m a sucker.

they/them/theirs

Ya but I have a feeling anyone who is bothering to go to the premiere at this stage is either a complete KurtzTrek fan boy or hate watcher.

I'm not trusting either to be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ah crap! I hate having my concerns fed with upcoming Trek shows. Dammit, and there was me thinking they had finally leanred their bloody lessons.

Robert Meyer Burnett had a video up on Youtube addressing claims that he's been paid to shill for Picard. I hadn't watched the video, but it turned up in my notifications. Now I think I understand why I think he put that video up.

So, until I actually watch; there are 2 possibilies:

1) Brunett, a known critic of new Trek, did honestly like Picard Season 3 and all will hopefully be well.

or

2) Burnett, a known critic of new Trek, has been coerced (or paid) to falsely boost Season 3 to sceptical Trekkies.

Option 2 suggests that they are willing to put effort and/or cash into an attempt to trick viewers to watch Season 3. They may have done this with other New-Trek critics too, I think Dave Cullen (far-right Irish YouTube critic of anything "woke", especially Discovery) also is speaking positivly about Season 3. If they really are "buying" critics it bodes very badly for the quality of the show if they feel that they need to resort to this kind of dishonesty to get people to watch.

I very much hope Option 1 is what is happened, becuase that is a universe where live-action Trek has some more hope for the future. A future where compitent show-runners are given Trek properties while Kurtzman is there in name alone.

But Option 2 is far more ominous. It is a future where good Trek happens by accident if at all. A future where Kurtzman's cack-handed approach to TV production might actually kill the franchise in a few short years.

• Advertisement

Or it could just be that the critics who fume about "woke" like it because of a lack of "woke" and are blind the the many real problems the show has.

As for Kurtzmann killing the franchise Discovery is 5 season in with a spin off. Picard got 3 seasons and we have 2 more shows running. He makes shte Trek but he has also some how revived not killed Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Revived in the same way a necromancer would, as a shambling ghoul of its former self.

Well I got Lower Decks out of it so I'm happy.

SNW is alright too.

It's former self also had as many zombies as good shows too.

It’s incredible how successful they are in spite of the Trekkie hate. Trekkie’s loved Enterprise and they was killed early. Maybe we aren’t with it. Or maybe they changed what is was.

they/them/theirs

Trekkies did not love Enterprise.

It's shocking the rehabilitation that show has gotten to try prove how brilliant all Bermantrek was. It had it's fans but it's wasn't a widely well received show.

Temporal cold war was terrible but season 3 was fantastic. Some of the best Trek episodes came out of there.

Season 4 is what ENT should always have been. Romulans taking an interest in the Vulcan's new pet project and coming to the same conclusion:

Earth was developing far faster than it had any right to, simply because of humans generalist nature and ability to moderate and work with species of extreme natures (Vulcan logic, Andorian emotion, Tellarite belligerence, even Klingon aggression)

The stoking of tensions, of the Xindi, should have been a Romulan plot and not Temporal

Earth/Romulan war was something which would have been a joy to watch.

Personally I hated it. But I remember online petitions and gofundme campaigns to revive it.

they/them/theirs

I don't know if they did. I mean I can't remember. I mean it had the blandest characters (Until Disco). The season with the overall-arc (Can't remember the baddie's names) wasn't bad. Like a poor-man's DS9 in that it had an arc but without the gravitas DS9 had (You knew more about Morn than you did about the navigator in Enterprise). And then... Spaaaaaaaaace Nazis :)

I mean you may be right. But I don't remember the love.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Enterprise may have been a bit stale and samey at the time, for some, but in light of the rancid mouldy offering of STD and PIC stale and samey isn't so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

I remember being pretty cold to it myself, and only on later rewatches did I warm up to it at all.

BermanTrek was a very mixed bag, and I remember being pretty annoyed with Rick Berman near the end of the TNG-era run. Things kind of peaked with late TNG, mid season DS9, First Contact era...and then sort of began a creeping decay of the quality of the shows. DS9 ended on a high, but Voyager sort of lumbered to the finish line while we got Insurrection(!) and then a very sub-Nemesis. Enterprise didn't really excite initially, and the early removal of the "Star Trek" branding almost have the impression that they were even tired with the Trekkies themselves and wanted new fans.

However, the failure of the late-Berman Trek shows doesn't really excuse Kurtzman or absolve him of critism. We are now in a TV environment where everyone is still clambering for their own "Cinematic Universe" to top-load into their own streaming service. Discovery is the product of that kind of environment and I feel that it has been somewhat isolated from the financial scrutiny that would have gotten it cancelled if it were on broadcast television of the 90's / 2000's. I feel that Discovery is not good television, regardless of comparisons with previous Trek.

Picard is a better show than this, but it suffered needlessly so far due to sub-par writing and the bizarre inability to use a 10-episode run correctly. It's an issue of quality and effort, and I feel that it's not too much to ask for that effort to be put in. I live in the increasinly tenitive hope that Season 3 will buck that trend and be well-made & entertaining show.

Advertisement