Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would have been very disappointed to show up to 10 Forward the experience and find some crap bar and not 10 Forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭McFly85

The ten forward thing was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in Trek. It was hilarious though reading the Star Trek subreddit tying themselves in continuity knots trying to prove that it was perfectly reasonable for Guinan to have a owned a bar called that for hundreds of years prior to stepping foot on the enterprise.

Post edited by McFly85 on

Ya it's weird that some people can't just say "I love the show but that was stupid". Same with the Disco turbolift fun house. It's ok to love a show but still admit one aspect is stupid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's spoilers going around for the cameo in the next episode. Stay away from them, and don't be tempted by them. I couldn't resist and it spoiled what would've been a welcome surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Cheers for that headsup! Unlike the previous seasons of Discovery and Picard I've been avoiding the previews for this season so far as I've really been enjoying it and am happy to have them throw a few surprises at me, as so far they've all been pretty well done this season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I thought the previews for Picard S3 are well chosen, they don't really reveal anything major for the following episodes. But this appearance is one that's completely un-previewed and unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Did they aquire someone over from Disney+ for this? It's only just struck me where I've seen this format of "Previously on..." with no show name, recap, cold open, mini programme title, full episode, then movie style credits/titles. It's basically the same format that Marvel have been using for all their Disney+ originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,585 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I guess it makes sense as a format for things that are exclusively streaming, where you've just consciously clicked to watch, so it just jumps right into the necessary information.

The switch of the main cinematic title/credit sequence going to the end is interesting, but thinking about it, people now just skip titles at the start and jump right into the episode, whereas are maybe more likely to let them run at the end as they process the episode they've just watched.

Definitely behind the idea of a show with Shaw going forward, really enjoying the character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So we're at the halfway mark, right?

Go on: what' the consensus here. Better than expected? Better than expected, but still not great? Worse? I've been taken aback by how positive the RLM crew have been but wondering if they're just outliers.

• Advertisement

Personally I think it has been pretty fantastic so far. Minor, and I mean minor, gripes but to be fair to the show it does address many of them. In terms of writing, characters, and style it's what a more modern Trek should have been from the outset instead of the utter bilge we got. Characters, even new ones, have understandable motives and rationale for their actions, and they haven't (yet) gone down the "oh crap we wrote a four episode story and have ten episodes to fill" route that the was so tiringly predictable with Discovery and Picard to date

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

So far it's probably the best TNG movie.

I've watched most episodes twice and look forward to having the whole thing together to binge-watch sometime in future.

I'll hold off on "great" and I know there's things that could be nit-picked about it but I'm really enjoying it each week and, as much as anything else, it feels like the solid 25th century post-TNG/DS9/Voyager world building that we'd been waiting for. I hope and expect that they'll build on it beyond this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

It's not perfect but it's leagues beyond any live action of the last few years bar maybe SNW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The end credits always has this one part that leave me like... we getting a bird of prey decloaking or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I like it. Some stupid Nu-Trek **** but there's enough Stewart/Frakes chemistry to really carry it through and it's generally a much better job of writing Trek style stories than previous seasons. The Raffi subplot does drag things down though, that's where most of the silliness seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Shaw is the MVP so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

We’re at the half-way point and they still haven’t somehow screwed it all up. I’m very hopeful, they’ve properly established stakes now and with 5 episodes to go they might actually stick the landing here. They could still fail of course, Kurtzman is in the building somewhere….doing something (maybe, he might just have a pity credit and is doing nothing) but they’ve got a lot of good Trek ingredients in here.

My main gripe, (and I think many share this) are the Raffi scenes. Even with Worf there, they drag everything down. One minute we’re having a grand old time on Titan and then suddenly we’re in that same dark alleyway again. My reaction is usually this:

I understand that they need to get mileage out of those sets (any guess how soon we’ll see 10-forward Bar again?) but these scenes are almost always Raffi facing down some random gangster in the stupidest way possible. I’m wondering what Starfleet Intelligence were even thinking hiring her.

But overall, Raffi included, it’s good Trek so far. I’m hoping for 10 episodes of this.

Christ, imagine they had dropped Raffi and kept Rios.

• Advertisement

I'de watch a whole episode of Shaw having pints with Rios.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

he is such a brilliant d1ckhead of a character.

That scene in the turbolift. Him humming away delighted that Picard was getting going to get a slap from Starleet.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Acosta

Does it go up on Prime video at midnight or later? Think it was around 1.30am last week when I noticed it was available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Jeri Ryan just spoiled episode 6 with who is showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I love Discovery and have no problem saying the turbo lift hijinx was very stupid.

I can see how they’d come up with idea and write it but surely when filming and doing the VFX they must have realised it made no sense - that the ship isn’t that big to have the several dozen lifts in a hub - in Dr Who maybe but not on this series.

Apart from the fact it made no sense setting the action sequence in an actual turbo lift shaft would have. Even really fun and a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m very annoyed at myself - I googled what planet Raffi is on in the first two episodes - how could that spoil anything right? - and right there second on the search results is who the villains are. No relevence to what I googled.

it was obvious by something Beverly said in episode one and Jack in episode two that the group chasing them are shapeshifters or using technology to appear as different species but I was not expecting Changlings and would have enjoyed that reveal.

How many years after Nemesis is Picard season 3 supposed to take place? It is said that none of the crew had seen or heard from Beverly in 20 years Jack is a lot older than that. Ed Speelers himself must be at least 30. Curious to see what reason the writers have given her for telling Picard.

Amanda Plummer is a very enjoyable villain in this. I have a feeling she is going to be a very memorable character.

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

There's quite a steady stream of small reveals/surprises, in particular episodes 5 and 6. Stay away from any discussion or spoilers, and go into each one completely blind, and you'll get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Curiosity got the better of me and I checked one of the subtitle spoilers from episode four and that still hasn't come up. I expect they'll save it for episode seven or eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh dear God they might actually stick the landing. 6 episodes in and the plot is still viable.

Dammit! Why coundn’t this have been the first season?!

• Advertisement

We still have 2 or 3 big mystery boxes to be opened. Season 1 was the same minus memberberries. Wasn't until the last few episodes on android planet it got stupid really.It was season 2 got stupid after about 3 episodes.

One thing this shows though is that it really should have just been the original crew from the start. If your show is gonna be built on warm fuzzy nostalgia just own it.

Advertisement