Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm drifting dangerously close to dipping into Season 3 because of all this surprised, positive reception. If there wasn't so little choice ATM I mightn't mind you, but am growing curious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do it. Forget S1 and S2, S3 is essentially a reboot of the Picard series.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

True. I'm actually shocked they kept Raffi because everyone else has been written out. Laris is forgotten after 5 minutes, Kestra is only mentioned and Soji/Dahj not mentioned despite good opportunity to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

Season 1 was however sullied by a more annoying Raffi, an impotent Picard, Jurati (God I don’t miss her) a focus on Soji The Android Girl and the creepy Romulan incest siblings.

This time around we get a toned down Raffi, most of the TNG cast, Seven and Shaw who feels like a welcome add-on. They’ve done a much better job here.

But yes, they still need to stick the landing and my hope is that they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I had to google Kestra because she's come up so little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Go for it. I already am putting it on my to buy list when it comes out on DVD or even Blu Ray if the extras are worth it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I didn't mind Jurati and we did get Rios the second best new character after Shaw. Didn't mind Soji either or the Borg plot (which went nowhere)

Raffi only seems toned down now because Worf has essentially taken her plot. She was worse than ever in the first few episodes. Everything about Bladerunner planet was terrible.

It's good though that each season is self contained so you can watch what you like. If 1 or 3 had anything got to do with 2 I would never watch them. 2 is one of the worst things I've ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Pull the trigger. Watch it. Even the lads on RedLetterMedia are surprised with how good it is*

*warning: this still has the potential to be a complete fcuk up by the last episode like S1.

All Eyes On Rafah

Its well worth a watch if your a big Trek fan. A lot of the appeal is just nostalgia and call backs as the plot is a bit flimsy but it's not really an expectation of some Shakespeare level story most of us are watching it for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I might just wait til the season finishes, in case it totally goes to shít. Like I said we're there more to watch I might not be thinking about it but enough of ye seem to be generally positive that even this "never never" guy is turning his head.

• Advertisement

The never never guy is turning his head because he got the fan service he wanted. The YouTube people are losing their sht over the Easter eggs.

Matalas in my opinion is wrongly being held up as some savior of "real Trek" but all it really is is live action Lower Decks ( I love Lower Decks )

Even if they screw the ending you'll have a bit of fun anyway.

The crazy thing is that this could be a proper long form story.

Rebel changelings infiltrating StarFleet is a proper story that the entire 3 series run could have been built on.

I'm not interested cos of fan service; by and large that's a drug too easily overdosed, and things like Star Wars have made my tolerance for memberberries really low. Just that it sounds like Picard might finally have come together into something coherent by the sounds of others' opinions. As opposed to whatever the F season 2 was that made me think nobody had a clue what to do with these characters.

It's essentially what season one should have been. Not perfect by any means but so much better than its predecessors.

Oh it's way better than S2 on all levels. The new characters are way better than those weird S2 ones. And the interactions are better too even if the dialogue is still too contemporary.

Ya but if it's plot you are after there still isn't much other than a vague conspiracy. It's about as good as S1 so far plot wise just with a crew we love.

Yeah it's not deep but it's little less nonsensical and canon contradicting than season one, so far. Lal even got an acknowledgement this time around.

I don't see how season 1 contradicted canon.

If season 1 added a surprise son for Picard and had Beverly going Rambo with a pump action phaser it would be ripped to sht.

Season 3 gets a pass cause it adds in a few clips of old ships and some call back music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

He is great. I did mention earlier that the new crew are better than the S1/2 crew. Pity it's not Rios and Worf though instead of Raffi. Could be worse though could be space Legolas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m loving it so far. The memberberries are strong in this one (sorry, wrong franchise there 😁) but I’m ok with it because the USP for this season is nostalgia. It’s a really nice connection back to 15 year old me perched in front of the tv at 7pm on a Saturday night watching new TNG. I’mall for some of that now and the callbacks just reinforce it. Yeah the one is kind of thin and hasn’t significantly progressed the past few episodes but I’ve had enormous fun, more fun in fact than I’ve had watching any Trek since the 90s so I’m good with what they’re doing right now.

once Picard finishes though and the next show comes along I do hope It’s post Picard and moving things on, whole new stories and nothing falling over itself to connect back to established characters. . We’ve had too much of that in NuTrek already. Less memberberries, more New Trek

Talking of new shows I see they’vegreenlit a Worf/Raffi show Happy to watch Worf all day long but they need to tone down Raffi and in the end it’ll be a buddy cop show set in the ST universe I at least hope it’ll be self contained episodes

Where the real potential lies though is a Titan based show with Shaw and 7 I think I hope this might be in the works somewhere I’m warming to Shaw a lot and I’ma practical level they now have the sets constructed so, much like SNW, they’d be extending the nice of the sets and getting added value with a new show I know P+ is cost cutting at the moment and VFX costs money but we’ve had plenty of great TNG episodes that were character driven with minimal pew-pew or even none. Some of the best Trek centres around philosophical dilemmas so if they pulled that off it’d work. Mind you Shaw and 7 are no Picard &co who did a good job of this stuff but then again so did Kirk so there’s always hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How is Raffi getting a spin-off? Really find nothing interesting about the character.

I can't see Worf and Raffi happening as a show. This production team seem to love telling us shows are "in the works"

Ide love a Titan show even at the the expense of SNW. Cant see them having the material for 2 monster of the week shows and they have never ever had the material for season arc shows.

Of all the shows the best things for me are just seeing how the post Voyager universe is. The XBs, the Changelings, Kira on DS9 have all been the highlights.

"OMG Data has a daughter" was a thing in season one when Picard already knew about Lal for one.

Maybe they were shocked he had an alive daughter. It's not really canon breaking. I mean it's certainly not Spocks sister in an insta-warp ship starting Klingon wars. Not even up there with some of the canon TOS and Bermantrek broke.

Also super quick warp is an annoying thing this season hasn't fixed.

They were not his daughters in the end really anyway were they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I don’t think Michael Dorn would commit to thousands of hours in the make up chair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Not to mention that when I say Star Trek: Legacy is the only way for the franchise to move forward, I’m using the word “forward” both figuratively and literally. We will apparently not be returning to the 32nd century setting after the end of Discovery. That means the only live-action show left from Star Trek — a franchise about the future — will be a prequel series.

All just discussion, no future show has been green-lit yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That would have been brill, she’s ruining it on me. She’s shite.

Already envisioning Raffi as first officer‽‽‽

Raffi as part of a larger crew of more interesting characters? Sure!

Raffi slumped over depressed at a random space bar every week? Nah, enough of this…

• Advertisement

In relation to the other seasons, I keep wondering if S3 could actually function as an independent show without the previous 2 seasons. It almost could.

Raffi is barely needed, but her back-story under Picard’s command could be squeezed into a minute of exposition. LaSerena is essentially a random Runabout at this stage and doesn’t need explanation. The main sticking point is Picard being an android.

As it is right now, S3 only really needs parts of S1 as a preamble and the rest could be dropped. S2 seems completely superfluous.

• Seven & Raffi’s breakup was off screen regardless and doesn’t even need S1 to set it up.
    • We don’t need Jurati, or Jurati Borg & her League of Friendly Borg.
    • We don’t need Soji, she wasn’t even really needed in S2.
    • I liked Rios, but again we don’t need him either.
    • The death of Riker’s kid was exposition in S1, and could still have been in S3.

With a bit of creativity they could make an edit that trims the fat in S1 and focuses the show on S3. Make that: Star Trek: Picard.

Advertisement