Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

368100 wrote: »
    Ah I dont know....I was looking forward to this but after watching the trailer I think maybe it was best to leave Picard in his prime on the enterprise.....he just looks frail or something

Sorry, 368100, the mob has spoken!

8ccd3ae7-6c8a-4485-8004-7c89e9e9d97d_screenshot.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Goodshape wrote: »
    Well, it looks like TNG, First Contact, Nemesis, and Voyager will be referenced to some extent.

It's been 20 years though! I doubt they'll make it a hard requirement.

No, there were no Borg in Discovery. Not sure which one you're thinking of.

Seven of Nine is from Voyager and Hugh was in a couple of episodes of TNG (I, Borg and Decent).

Sorry I meant Voyager :(

My God I'm getting old.

I am a little worried about this to be honest, did not like the look of Data, can't they bring in some stuff to explain his aging surely ? rather then try and make him look the same - it's creepy.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Sorry I meant Voyager :(

My God I'm getting old.

I am a little worried about this to be honest, did not like the look of Data, can't they bring in some stuff to explain his aging surely ? rather then try and make him look the same - it's creepy.

Like give him a faux grey streak or something??
    :D

Like give him a faux grey streak or something??
    :D

haha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'd say it was a preliminary effect done specifically to meet the SDCC deadline and completed just in time.

I think they've made him look younger for very specific reasons.

So we just know 2020 ? no specific date yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

So we just know 2020 ? no specific date yet ?

Early 2020!

Could mean January :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Early 2020!

Could mean January :D

January 1st

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

368100 wrote: »
    Ah I dont know....I was looking forward to this but after watching the trailer I think maybe it was best to leave Picard in his prime on the enterprise.....he just looks frail or something

He will be playing an older role for this show. Dont expect him to be face punching people or climbing walls or diving down into caves

January 1st

So it's decided then!

01/01/2020 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

He WI be playing an older role for this show. Dont expect him to be face punching people or climbing walls or diving down into caves

That was never really the appeal or an expectation I had for Picard over the years. He was a leader of "Action Heros" not necessarily one himself :D

Reminds me of the silly ending of ST: Insurrection where they suddenly had Picard fight the Son'a Leader inside the "Giant Killer Laser of Evil(TM)". It felt like they did that....because movie....and having Picard resolve the movie with a fist fight was just a silly end to an incredibly weak film.

Picard as the Wise Old Man, kind of works for me.

Rawr wrote: »
    That was never really the appeal or an expectation I had for Picard over the years. He was a leader of "Action Heros" not necessarily one himself :D

Reminds me of the silly ending of ST: Insurrection where they suddenly had Picard fight the Son'a Leader inside the "Giant Killer Laser of Evil(TM)". It felt like they did that....because movie....and having Picard resolve the movie with a fist fight was just a silly end to an incredibly weak film.

Picard as the Wise Old Man, kind of works for me.

That's what I've always seen Picard as, the wise diplomat that could talk himself out of anything.

Rawr wrote: »

Generations Picard getting owned by Soran
    First Contact Picard in a Die Hard vest, swinging around on trunking.
    Insurrection: Training is complete and he is now a Jedi

Generations Picard getting owned by Soran
    First Contact Picard in a Die Hard vest, swinging around on trunking.
    Insurrection: Training is complete and he is now a Jedi

Nemesis: emmmm, let's not mention that one.

Nemesis: emmmm, let's not mention that one.

Yes, let's never mention the sand buggy. Ever

Fvck, I mentioned the war

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, but wasn't it Stewart's idea? I think it's worth remembering, if only as a reminder our heroes have flaws :D

(seriously, I respect and admire Patrick Stewart, man's a decent skin & then some)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I don't know why, but people seem to forget Picard WAS already quite a troubled character; From the death of his brother and nephew to experiencing a whole lifetime in "the inner light", the destruction of Data and most importantly, being Locutus of Borg and leading the devastating attack at Wolf 359, you can take your pick. It's been inferred multiple times, from "All the Good Things" to various books (which yes, ain't canon, but still) that he had grown somewhat tired of Starfleet and was looking to leave. In these regards, the premises of this new series makes a lot of sense.

And yep, he was a diplomat and scientist first, except for some "movie magic" parts, it was Riker / Worf who were the "action dudes" in TNG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    And yep, he was a diplomat and scientist first, except for some "movie magic" parts, it was Riker / Worf who were the "action dudes" in TNG.
    This is basically shoved in your face. Whenever there was a bridge incursion on the Enterprise, Riker and Worf sprung into action while Picard stood there and directed them.
    I'd say it was a preliminary effect done specifically to meet the SDCC deadline and completed just in time.

I think they've made him look younger for very specific reasons.
    Speculation on reddit is that it's probably a holodeck scene, hence why Data calls him "Captain" and why they're playing cards. At the end of TNG, Picard joins the crew for a card game for the very first time. It's possible that Picard has been recreating these in a holodeck as a way to cope with Data's death.
    Spiner also confirmed that the android in the drawer is B4.

So Data is gone, and it's unlikely that B4 will ever "be" Data. Though maybe Seven has been working on a way to improve him. That's the kind of work that's right up her street.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Speculation on reddit is that it's probably a holodeck scene, hence why Data calls him "Captain" and why they're playing cards. At the end of TNG, Picard joins the crew for a card game for the very first time. It's possible that Picard has been recreating these in a holodeck as a way to cope with Data's death.

That's what I was implying, and I mentioned earlier that I think Data is dead.

Spiner seems to have confirmed that in a recent interview, saying that Data has not evolved and won't, because he died.
    Spiner also confirmed that the android in the drawer is B4.

Yes, though he didn't seem certain about that- more certain that it's not Data.

The rest of the cast tensed up when he started talking about it- any time a possible spoiler comes they all get very cagey.
    So Data is gone, and it's unlikely that B4 will ever "be" Data. Though maybe Seven has been working on a way to improve him. That's the kind of work that's right up her street.

Dr. Jurati (Alison Pill) seems to be the Soong android expert who was described in the casting call. In the android-in-a-drawer scene, she's there with Picard.

Her descriptions of the character as being someone who has been waiting for something significant for a very long time leads me to wonder if that something is either the appearance of a functioning Soong android (perhaps Dahj?) or a way to reactivate B4, Data or Lore.

Spiner seemed to be saying, in that cast interview someone posted a few page ago, that Data would feature throughout the show in some way, while being careful not to mention which way in particular.

That sounds a lot like he's Picard's holodeck friend or the ships computer. Either of which would be cool enough.

He also said that he thinks (maybe being coy) it was B4 disassembled in the drawer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I imagine Spiner's contribution to the story will depend on how far the de-ageing budget will stretch; ain't no way they've got Nick Fury levels of money ala Captain Marvel (still can't believe what they did there), so yeah, I'd imagine he'll appear in a stationary capacity; prisoner, hologram, take your pick.

Question - how did B4 get to be disassembled? IIRC (it's been a while) he's pretty much in one piece at the end of Nemesis...

Question - how did B4 get to be disassembled? IIRC (it's been a while) he's pretty much in one piece at the end of Nemesis...

Wondering that myself, unless Data's memory dump caused some kind of failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Could always be Lore, perhaps. Canon only ever established that he was "permanently dismantled", but never elaborated on whether that meant he was completely ripped apart or merely stored securely, never to be reassembled.

If they were trying to build a Soong-type android, then having Lore as a reference point would be very useful.

So many of the teasers in the trailer could easily just be innocent scenes that we're now speculating wildly on. :)

• Advertisement

Could always be Lore, perhaps. Canon only ever established that he was "permanently dismantled", but never elaborated on whether that meant he was completely ripped apart or merely stored securely, never to be reassembled.

If they were trying to build a Soong-type android, then having Lore as a reference point would be very useful.

So many of the teasers in the trailer could easily just be innocent scenes that we're now speculating wildly on. :)

Which shows a great trailer. Having people talk about it without spoiling anything

Now, I love this one!

The girl is creating an holonovel about a young Starfleet officer and asked Picard to act as an advisor;

The fight is a stunt in said holonovel, the guy "transporting" is just the holodeck removing the character as it's no longer necessary;

Picard's vineyards are doing good but not great, he's looking for new business opportunities;

After returning with Voyager, Seven of Nine has pursued a career as a Business advisor - specializing in deals in the Delta quadrant. Picard hired her to pursue such deals;

The crew and ship are transporting the first batch of Chateau Picard to the new restaurants in the Delta quadrant;

Aaand...the android in the drawer is a real life action figure / statue based on Data, the hero of the Battle of Remus, which every self respecting Starfleet officer want in their homes/quarters;

There could probably be a series made out of the above which would still better than a lot of crud on TV/Netflix...

^^^
    That's brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

What happened to the extra Data from Times Arrow?

BrookieD wrote: »

Wasn't that a closed time loop? There were only two for the duration of the loop?

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »

Don't think there was ever really an "extra" Data.

They found a Data head which had been lying around since the 1800s (I think). Then Data himself went back in time and became that head. His body returned and was re-attached to the old head.

So there isn't two of anything. Unless I'm misremembering.

No, Geordi had to put the old head on his present day Data body, which had just been decapitated.

So Data's head was 500 years older than his body

No, Geordi had to put the old had on his present day Geordi

He did what now?? :D

Yeah that's what happened though- and Data's head was from that point onward 500 years older than his body.

He did what now?? :D

Yeah that's what happened though- and Data's head was from that point onward 500 years older than his body.

Trying to deal with Sky, talk to manager, install SCOM, and write a post at the same time, while having a chest infection finally took its toll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

No, Geordi had to put the old head on his present day Data body, which had just been decapitated.

So Data's head was 500 years older than his body

But there were two heads until one was sent back into the past.....time travel paradoxes :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just noting that Jeremy Kemp, who played Robert Picard in TNG episode 'Family', has passed away at the age of 84. RIP.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0447305/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Now, I love this one!

The girl is creating an holonovel about a young Starfleet officer and asked Picard to act as an advisor;

The fight is a stunt in said holonovel, the guy "transporting" is just the holodeck removing the character as it's no longer necessary;

Picard's vineyards are doing good but not great, he's looking for new business opportunities;

After returning with Voyager, Seven of Nine has pursued a career as a Business advisor - specializing in deals in the Delta quadrant. Picard hired her to pursue such deals;

The crew and ship are transporting the first batch of Chateau Picard to the new restaurants in the Delta quadrant;

Aaand...the android in the drawer is a real life action figure / statue based on Data, the hero of the Battle of Remus, which every self respecting Starfleet officer want in their homes/quarters;

There could probably be a series made out of the above which would still better than a lot of crud on TV/Netflix...

I'd totally watch that too :)

Seven: Jean Luc! I'd like to reduce the wholesale price for the 2395 batch by 7% to grab more of the market share in the New Bajor sector.

Picard: ....Make it so....

Could it be that it's not B4 at all and they somehow found Original Data's remains in the wreck of the Scimitar? (The torso looks damaged, part of the shoulder is missing)

Kind of unlikely since Data was right in the middle of the explosion he caused....but hey....Sci-Fi rules apply, something might have prevented his destruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I reckon they had his consciousness saved onto a 32GB USB stick and just uploaded him into Lore's body :)

17c3ee0e740f0bc181b2c1202030c286--south-park-swords.jpg

No, I'm really looking forward to this. I have enjoyed Discovery and make no apologies/offer no explanation: I have been a trekkie for a long long time and I enjoyed what discovery brought (And Goddamnit, give us a Pike series. I want to see them back).

I'm looking forward to this. I like the fact that it is a continuation of TNG. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with The Borg lore. I hope they undo some of the damage that Voyager heaped on The Borg (Basically totally neutering them). I know Seven of Nine is there so they will have to acknowledge some of Voyager's Borg storylines but that show really f*cked them up:

Make Borg Great Again....... Maybe that slogan needs work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I reckon they had his consciousness saved onto a 32GB USB stick and just uploaded him into Lore's body :)

17c3ee0e740f0bc181b2c1202030c286--south-park-swords.jpg

No, I'm really looking forward to this. I have enjoyed Discovery and make no apologies/offer no explanation: I have been a trekkie for a long long time and I enjoyed what discovery brought (And Goddamnit, give us a Pike series. I want to see them back).

I'm looking forward to this. I like the fact that it is a continuation of TNG. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with The Borg lore. I hope they undo some of the damage that Voyager heaped on The Borg (Basically totally neutering them). I know Seven of Nine is there so they will have to acknowledge some of Voyager's Borg storylines but that show really f*cked them up:

Make Borg Great Again....... Maybe that slogan needs work :)

How about,

Make Borg Scary again or

Make Borg Terrifying again.

Personally I prefer the second one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

AMKC wrote: »
    How about,

Make Borg Scary again or

Make Borg Terrifying again.

Personally I prefer the second one.
    Make resistance futile again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Make them go away again...

There is no reason for the Borg to have an unnatural piqued interest in the Federation, it's too far away from their base of operations with too many other species in the way. Why would they waste the time and resources constantly travelling so far to deal with a meaningless enemy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wellllllll

We got what.. somewhere between 2 to 5 cubes?

8472 got .. more

for just one battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Make them go away again...

There is no reason for the Borg to have an unnatural piqued interest in the Federation, it's too far away from their base of operations with too many other species in the way. Why would they waste the time and resources constantly travelling so far to deal with a meaningless enemy?

I'm envisioning a world where the Borg themselveshave become a manageable threat like the Romulans/Klingons or whatever thanks to the Federation's own research and tech brought back by Voyager. What's left to explore then is the process of rescuing people from the collective and the effect on the power balance in the alpha/beta quadrants from having access to Borg tech.

Stark wrote: »
    I'm envisioning a world where the Borg themselveshave become a manageable threat like the Romulans/Klingons or whatever thanks to the Federation's own research and tech brought back by Voyager. What's left to explore then is the process of rescuing people from the collective and the effect on the power balance in the alpha/beta quadrants from having access to Borg tech.

The interesting counter to this is...can something like the Borg, with nearly infinite processing power leading to basically instant adaptation to threats, be EVER manageable? The whole "race" was basically envisioned as the one and only "big baddie" in the Trek Universe to which the only solution applicable was pretty much "kill it with plasma fire!"...even 'though they tried to somewhat soften the stance in following series / movies.

The interesting counter to this is...can something like the Borg, with nearly infinite processing power leading to basically instant adaptation to threats, be EVER manageable? The whole "race" was basically envisioned as the one and only "big baddie" in the Trek Universe to which the only solution applicable was pretty much "kill it with plasma fire!"...even 'though they tried to somewhat soften the stance in following series / movies.

Maybe that's the thrust of 'Picard'? Seems like that decommissioned cube is running as a Romulan operation, maybe they're playing with fire under the false belief that they can manage the process? Not like the Romulans don't possess a surfeit of self-confidence, and is a story as old as technology itself. I'd be surprised if the Federation took this strategy, likely more cautious with thinking similar to your own.

And that "X days since assimilation" feels like Checkov's Gun here, and whatever episode it's from will absolutely preface an incident where the Cube reactivates & the dormant drones come back to 'life'. Might as well hang a second sign saying "Things are about to go wrong".

Not sure where that girl comes into my theorising: perhaps she's some natural 'evolution' of the Borg left dormant / rudderless (which'd overlap with 'Hugh'), who has both her humanity yet retains a connection to the Collective - which would naturally butt heads against the approach of curing assimilated drones taken by the Romulans. To them any lingering connection to the Collective would be seen as a potential galactic threat. Maybe her presence on the Cube is what causes the above inevitable incident...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe that's the thrust of 'Picard'? Seems like that decommissioned cube is running as a Romulan operation, maybe they're playing with fire under the false belief that they can manage the process? Not like the Romulans don't possess a surfeit of self-confidence, and is a story as old as technology itself. I'd be surprised if the Federation took this strategy, likely more cautious with thinking similar to your own.

The Romulan angle kind of plays into one my old theories about what the Romulan's were talking about in the TNG Episode "The Neutral Zone".

Tebok: "...Matters more urgent caused our absence."

Mentioned this on a thread here before, but to repeat, I had sometimes imagined that the Romulans were by then already dealing with the Borg and were simply not letting on. Their encounter with the Enterprise was maybe just an attempt to see if the Federation had realised that it was the Borg who were now attacking outposts in the Neutral Zone.

The main reason I feel this way is due to Romulan Space covering the patch of the Beta Quadrant that lay between the Borg Space and the Federation. It just felt that the Borg encountering the Romulans first would make more sense.

I can't help by wonder if ST: Picard will take up this discarded plot thread from "The Neutral Zone", showing the Romulans playing with many decades worth of Borg tech....(maybe even leading to a Romulus-destroying accident of sorts?)

Seems like pretty low hanging fruit all told; if Michael Chabon knows his canon (and I'm 99% sure one of the writing team IS there as a canon expert) it's entirely possible he has looked at the timeline and old TNG material, realising that the Romulans have a very organic & pre-existing relationship with the Borg predating the Federation's own. Heck, perhaps the supernova was itself some adapted Borg tech that went horribly wrong?

And knowing the Romulan's arrogance, you could see a splinter faction still tinkering with the Cube, trying to get secrets that might re-establish the empire

Heck, perhaps the supernova was itself some adapted Borg tech that went horribly wrong?

That's my guess too. Especially if they were, for example, trying to recreate their own Transwarp Hub, on the Romulus sun?

m5p1LGI.jpg

The payoff being that they could instantly send a fleet nearly anywhere. But screw that up and you might end up with an Empire wrecking supernova.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Maybe that's the thrust of 'Picard'? Seems like that decommissioned cube is running as a Romulan operation,
    The energy seen on the outside of the cube isn't the traditional Romulan colour.

Seems like pretty low hanging fruit all told; if Michael Chabon knows his canrealising that the Romulans have a very organic & pre-existing relationship with the Borg predating the Federation's own.
    I think that might further neuter the Borg. Now it's not only the Federation that can hold them off but the Romulans too. There's a perfectly logical reason for the Borg to prioritise assimilating the Federation over the Romulan Star Empire, biological distinctiveness. Assimilate the Empire and you've got one extra species, assimilate the Federation and you've got hundreds.

Advertisement