Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Ent-D looks unaltered. That's good. I can accept all manner of revisionism, but please... don't touch the D.

Not even a third nacelle on it? :pac:

I didn't notice Hugh in the trailer, must not have been looking closely enough. Is he still full Borg or is he back to human form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm so much more looking forward to this than Discovery S3. Looking at the new Discovery trailer, it's yet another change of tone, it seems every single season is a new show, same characters, new show (AHS style). For me the show can't find its feet (imagine DS9 by season 3 and only knowing a handful of characters names), and I'm rapidly approaching the point of having little to no inclination to give it yet another chance. Picard thus far looks so much more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Stark wrote: »
    Not even a third nacelle on it? :pacman:

I love All Good Things, but that was an abomination, and I silently judge Trek fans who enthuse about it.
    I didn't notice Hugh in the trailer, must not have been looking closely enough. Is he still full Borg or is he back to human form?

He has hair and the remnants of facial implants. He's not as close to human as Seven, but he's changed a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

It looks potentially very good. The quality of the cast and the very developed characters who have been around since the 1980s will keep it very solid.

I just can't warm to Discovery. The production is completely different to Trek. It's a good stand alone show but, it's very definitely a spin off concept. I also find a lot of the characters really unlikable. Michael is far too serious, two dimensional and that keep going into very dull quasi religious plots. We've simultaneously got a Klingons and a Human 'Messiah' type character. Then they don't develop the interesting characters - killing off the cyborg who worked on the bridge?
    Then they did the idiotic thing of introducing a gay couple and then doing the old literally trope of killing one of them. Then you've the Lesbian engineer who is also going on about her dead wife. I mean seriously?! Why do writers have to keep making gay characters tragic? I'd be assuming a future where being gay would be just an incidental feature. Could we not have a couple like Paris and B'elanna who just happened to be two guys, but were Trekkie, fun and relatable to? It's like someone went off into endless stereotypes rather than being inclusive. Couple of gay crewmen/crewwomen having a laugh doing Trek stuff in space? How hard would that have been?

Also the Michael and that soppy Human Klingon hybrid and his psycho wife / lover. What ever happened to the fun TNG Klingons? They always seemed like good craic!

Pike and the Emperor saved that show for me! Otherwise it would really drag.

Anyway, here's to hoping that Picard is actually Trek.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

NotToScale wrote: »
    It looks potentially very good. The quality of the cast and the very developed characters who have been around since the 1980s will keep it very solid.

I just can't warm to Discovery. The production is completely different to Trek. It's a good stand alone show but, it's very definitely a spin off concept. I also find a lot of the characters really unlikable. Michael is far too serious, two dimensional and that keep going into very dull quasi religious plots. We've simultaneously got a Klingons and a Human 'Messiah' type character. Then they don't develop the interesting characters - killing off the cyborg who worked on the bridge?
    Then they did the idiotic thing of introducing a gay couple and then doing the old literally trope of killing one of them. Then you've the Lesbian engineer who is also going on about her dead wife. I mean seriously?! Why do writers have to keep making gay characters tragic? I'd be assuming a future where being gay would be just an incidental feature.

Also the Michael and that soppy Human Klingon hybrid and his psycho wife / lover. What ever happened to the fun TNG Klingons? They always seemed like good craic!

Pike and the Emperor saved that show for me! Otherwise it would really drag.

Anyway, here's to hoping that Picard is actually Trek.

It looks like Trek via a very very Star Wars Aesthetic. I thought the Latino guy was Oscar Osaac for a second. And those ships with the red lasers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Rikers cabin reminds me of the one Kirk had in the Nexus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That's a very good second trailer. Gives me confidence about the show. Nice to see the old Romulan ships!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

He has hair and the remnants of facial implants. He's not as close to human as Seven, but he's changed a lot.

Cheers, after a rewatch with finger on the pause button, managed to catch him at 1:57 and 2:19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

It looks like Trek via a very very Star Wars Aesthetic. I thought the Latino guy was Oscar Osaac for a second. And those ships with the red lasers...

Hard to tell though from a trailer as it's cut and directed to get maximum attention. The series might be more in the style of a Trek movie from the sense I'm getting.

It looks like they didn't spare any expense on production though. It could be a good watch!

It's Amazon prime video online in Ireland? I'm just hoping Brexit doesn't make this complicated if we're dumped into Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Amazing trailer the scene with the Will and Deanna was my favorite.

As much like the scene in the force awakens where Han says to Chewy we are home this in a way is that for people who grew up with TNG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

Hugh's looking well. Romulan warbirds out of mothballs for the faded empire. Riker and Troi and unseen offspring. All very nice.

When I saw the classic warbird, it sort of felt that my earlier hair-brained theory that the Romulans had been dealing with the Borg pre-TNG, might actually have some "meat" to it.

==========
    I can't remember when I posted this, but here's a summery of my idea:

-TNG S1 "The Neutral Zone": Romulans turn up with huge new super-ship. "Matters more urgent caused our absence." Says the Romulan captain.

-Events of the episode are the first reference to what would become the Borg.

-My theory is that the Romulans already knew about the Borg and had been fighting them of years, thus a huge jump in their tech as shown with the D'deridex Class. The "matters more urgent".

-They merely pretended to not know who attacked the Neutral Zone outposts to see how much Picard & Co. know about the Borg, if anything.

-Rather than ask for help, the Romulans had been keeping the Borg threat secret, as well as any technological edge they had gained during their fight.
    ===============

If my theory holds any water at all, that warbird in the trailer might date back to the beginning of the Romulan's fight with the Borg.

That....or time travel, I dunno :D

NotToScale wrote: »
    It's Amazon prime video online in Ireland? I'm just hoping Brexit doesn't make this complicated if we're dumped into Amazon.co.uk

Yep I have it. Works fine and I don't see any reason Brexit should mess with it... though who the hell really knows?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When I watched it first, I didn't quite catch the audio as it was low, so was going by the imagery and that was all pretty arresting stuff. So second time around and ... ehhh. Suddenly I'm not so sure. Maybe curb my enthusiasm from an A, to maybe B or B-.

I'm not trying to be contrarian, honest, but I am wondering are we falling for the trap of nostalgia and goodwill a little. Strip out the moments with Picard and everything else wouldn't look out of place in a Discovery promotion: high fives, fast action, bit splashy visuals. This new crew seems suspiciously ... "hip". Now, I've defended Discovery and generally enjoyed that show but beyond Picard's "last hurrah" not quite seeing the difference here. I know Michael Chabon is part of the writing team, so there's some pedigree there that might prevent some of Discovery's faults creeping into this ... ...

... yet even with Chabon on-board, some of that dialogue in the trailer is atrocious, superficially ponderous stuff:

"The past is written, but we are left to write the future."
    "We all have a story, that is waiting to be claimed."

haha, god. Jesus lads but that's pretty awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I had so many goosebumps watching this trailer! Can't wait to see it. I grew up with TNG and I'm so excited to see some of the characters back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The guy who asks Jean_luc if he really wants to go back out into the cold, is that the Traveler?
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

:Also forgot to say, this looks so much better than I was expecting/fearing. :)

The guy who asks Jean_luc if he really wants to go back out into the cold, is that the Traveler?
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not the same actor- I think that guy retired. But I know this guy's face- I just can't place him.

Edit: I think it's David Paymer. He's not listed anywhere as being involved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I know Patrick Stewart is 78 but doesn't he come off more frail in the trailer then he does in real life . Wasn't Picard diagnosed with a brain degenerative disease.

It will also be interesting to see if the enterprise still exists . Is it still E or now F and who the captain is. Any theories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Not the same actor- I think that guy retired. But I know this guy's face- I just can't place him.

Edit: I think it's David Paymer. He's not listed anywhere as being involved though.
    It definitely looks like him.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Wasn't Picard diagnosed with a brain degenerative disease?

That was in a potential future in "All Good Things..." so Dr C has had loads of time to since then to prevent that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I know Patrick Stewart is 78 but doesn't he come off more frail in the trailer then he does in real life . Wasn't Picard diagnosed with a brain degenerative disease.

It will also be interesting to see if the enterprise still exists . Is it still E or now F and who the captain is. Any theories?

Its the Enterprise-E refit and the Captain is Wesley Crusher. However the show is not about the Enterprise so if we just hear something about it I would be happy with that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Its the Enterprise-E refit and the Captain is Wesley Crusher. However the show is not about the Enterprise so if we just hear something about it I would be happy with that.

Wesley stop being a traveller?

Ms

Calhoun wrote: »
    Wesley stop being a traveller?

Sure he spent some time with the traveller and came back with loads of confidence and a new perspective on the Universe so he could/would make a great Captain. He rejoins starfleet and works his way up the ranks quickly to eventually be the Captain of the Enterprise-E.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

When is this on?

Ms

bilbot79 wrote: »
    When is this on?

Its out January 23rd in America and the 24th here on Amazon or wherever you find it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Sure he spent some time with the traveller and came back with loads of confidence and a new perspective on the Universe so he could/would make a great Captain. He rejoins starfleet and works his way up the ranks quickly to eventually be the Captain of the Enterprise-E.

Ah right, the last I read about him was in the a time to series, so wasn't aware he had come back.

He appears at Riker and Troi's wedding in a deleted scene from Nemesis. Has the rank of Lieutenant.

He appears at Riker and Troi's wedding in a deleted scene from Nemesis. Has the rank of Lieutenant.

Ah right, I didn't see that scene.

Ms

Ah right, I didn't see that scene.

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQqe5-B3TI

Of course being a deleted scene means it is not canon but maybe now it will be.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Here it is.

I have never seen that scene, kinda wish they never cut it. Interesting that he got assigned the Titan.

I know its not official cannon but the unofficial but connected lore is what brings the universe alive and I am a big fan of both.

Ah right, the last I read about him was in the a time to series, so wasn't aware he had come back.

He doesnt :o AMKC is pulling your leg, or at least, I hope so (sounds like bloody awful fan-fic beta cannon stuff :D). There is the deleted scene, but can't really be considered canon if it was cut from the film imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rewatched Nemesis a couple of weeks back, and Wesley is visible in the background, in uniform. So him being back in Starfleet is arguably canon at least :)

seamus wrote: »
    Rewatched Nemesis a couple of weeks back, and Wesley is visible in the background, in uniform. So him being back in Starfleet is arguably canon at least :)

It's canon- but just his being back in Starfleet and his rank.

Nothing to stop them canonizing some other bits about him in Picard (or even Discovery now) but doesn't seem like he'll make an appearance this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why is Legolas in it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

It's canon- but just his being back in Starfleet and his rank.

Nothing to stop them canonizing some other bits about him in Picard (or even Discovery now) but doesn't seem like he'll make an appearance this season.

I think I remember something a while back where they actually had Weaton play Lieutenant Crusher (with post-First Contact uniform) on a display for one of the Star Trek attractions in Las Vegas (I think).

Not sure if licenced attractions count as confirmation of a canon appearance :/

• Advertisement

Here it is.

I was never a Wesley hater before but there's something about his performance in that scene that makes me want to give him a slap. It's overly forced or something. Actually watching it again, there's a certain Patrick Bateman vibe off it when he talks about the Titan's warp core.

seamus wrote: »

Really? Never noticed him! Must have a look

Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    He doesnt :o AMKC is pulling your leg, or at least, I hope so (sounds like bloody awful fan-fic beta cannon stuff :D). There is the deleted scene, but can't really be considered canon if it was cut from the film imo

That's just my theory of how he came back and how the got back into starfleet. I should have said that did not actually happen but I can imagine it happened something like that.

As other's have said he was there for the wedding so he did come back at some stage and is a lieutenant there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

As other's have said he was there for the wedding so he did come back at some stage and is a lieutenant there.

You'd wonder what the hell that was about. I mean, bringing a character back from exploring other realms of existence with a quasi-dimensional para-being, to being a Lieutenant at a wedding. Quality writing :o

Inviere wrote: »
    You'd wonder what the hell that was about. I mean, bringing a character back from exploring other realms of existence with a quasi-dimensional para-being, to being a Lieutenant at a wedding. Quality writing :o

I heard before that a whole scene was made that explains this, but was cut from the film. Not sure how true that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

The Traveler probably switched Wesley out for a younger model.

Rawr wrote: »
    I think I remember something a while back where they actually had Weaton play Lieutenant Crusher (with post-First Contact uniform) on a display for one of the Star Trek attractions in Las Vegas (I think).

Not sure if licenced attractions count as confirmation of a canon appearance :/

Yes he did do that. Firmly Memory Beta territory though.

Ms

I heard before that a whole scene was made that explains this, but was cut from the film. Not sure how true that is.

I would say its false as it would have been on the Blu-Rays and up on You-Tube by now as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I would say its false as it would have been on the Blu-Rays and up on You-Tube by now as well.

Check this out

Doesnt explain anything, but at least acknowledges his existence. Think this was on the dvd extras.

AKMC already posted that video link on the previous page. The clip he's referring to is a supposed clip that explains why Wesley gave up on his travels with the Traveller and rejoined Starfleet.

I reckon he got too old and the Traveller lost interest

AKMC already posted that video link on the previous page. The clip he's referring to is a supposed clip that explains why Wesley gave up on his travels with the Traveller and rejoined Starfleet.

I reckon he got too old and the Traveller lost interest

Ah yeah, getting muddled up.

Edit: apparently the Nemesis novel which is Canon does cover this, but have never read it. Maybe someone here has?

Memory Alpha didn't have anything on the subject.

Let's see what Memory Beta has to say: (https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Wesley_Crusher)
    In late 2379, Wesley appeared at the wedding of William Riker and Deanna Troi. Assuming it was a traditional Betazoid wedding, he appeared nude. Picard found this unacceptable, and gave him a Starfleet Lieutenant's uniform to wear to the wedding.

Shouldn't have asked :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Forgive my Trek naivety, but while I've heard of Memory Alpha - what's Memory Beta? :confused::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pixelburp wrote: »
    Forgive my Trek naivety, but while I've heard of Memory Alpha - what's Memory Beta? :confused::)

I think Alpha covers canon - TV and films etc
    Beta brings in novels, tie in products, games, etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Memory Alpha is based on canon references (the TV shows, movies). Memory Beta includes references from the wider universe of licensed works. There's also a Memory Gamma which includes fan fiction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement