Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Stark wrote: »
    Memory Alpha is based on canon references (the TV shows, movies). Memory Beta includes references from the wider universe of licensed works. There's also a Memory Gamma which includes fan fiction.

Now there is one I did not know of Memory Gamma lol.
    All they/we are missing is a Memory Delta lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

AMKC wrote: »
    Now there is one I did not know of Memory Gamma lol.
    All they/we are missing is a Memory Delta lol.

Memory Delta also consists of a wider Star Trek galaxy and mirror universe

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does Memory Alpha have any canon appearance? Like in STO its an actual system, or location within a particular system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I remember trying to write a Star Trek novel called Insurrection Alpha when i was much, much younger. After browsing through Memory Gamma for bit there, I suspect it would have fit in well with what's on there :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Does Memory Alpha have any canon appearance? Like in STO its an actual system, or location within a particular system.

it is canon, https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Memory_Alpha

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

the new admiral uniform has been released.....and it looks awful in my opinion

https://blog.trekcore.com/2019/10/star-trek-picard-admiral-uniform-unveiled/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

He must have been out of the big chair for a while to get to full admiral. The uniform does look like a step backwards, the grey shoulder admiral uniform is probably the best looking one. But it looks like that might not be the current uniform when the series is set because the admiral(?) who tells him that it's not his house anymore looks like she's wearing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Sooooooooooooooooon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭Rawr

the new admiral uniform has been released.....and it looks awful in my opinion

https://blog.trekcore.com/2019/10/star-trek-picard-admiral-uniform-unveiled/

It's alright....they've done worse:

180?cb=20120726023127&path-prefix=en

Seems like it took them ages to settle on a design back in the day.
    I'm kind of partial of the "Slightly fancier than usual TNG" Admiral Uniform.

rapture_379.jpg

Evade wrote: »
    He must have been out of the big chair for a while to get to full admiral. The uniform does look like a step backwards, the grey shoulder admiral uniform is probably the best looking one. But it looks like that might not be the current uniform when the series is set because the admiral(?) who tells him that it's not his house anymore looks like she's wearing something else.

I'm guessing the uniform dates from Picard's retirement, since it still has the Generations/DS9/Voyager Comm-Badge.

By ST:Picard, my guess also is that there's been a whole new uniform regime for a while, and possibly the default "Future" Comm-Badge has been adopted. (We've yet to get a good look at it....but it looks that one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Uniform looks alright to me!

Goodshape wrote: »
    Uniform looks alright to me!

Couldn't give a fig myself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I like it *shrug* a bit overdesigned but as Trek uniforms go - especially admiralty ones - it's decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Rawr wrote: »
    Seems like it took them ages to settle on a design back in the day.
    I'm kind of partial of the "Slightly fancier than usual TNG" Admiral Uniform.

Always struck me as odd the variations of Admiral uniforms in TNG, was it only really DS9 grey/black seasons onwards where just one variant became standard?

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    Always struck me as odd the variations of Admiral uniforms in TNG, was it only really DS9 grey/black seasons onwards where just one variant became standard?
    Rawr wrote: »

rapture_379.jpg

That one was pretty standard on TNG/DS9/Voyager before the grey one.

EDIT: Seen on at least 18 different admirals, including the operations colour variant.

Would I be correct in thinking there was even a yellow Admiral uniform once in DS9?

Would I be correct in thinking there was even a yellow Admiral uniform once in DS9?
    That's the operations colour. The head of Starfleet Security wore it.

That's the operations colour. The head of Starfleet Security wore it.

That's the one I'm thinking of, think he was a Vice Admiral as opposed to an Admiral and I don't think that variant of the uniform appeared more than once.

That one was pretty standard on TNG/DS9/Voyager before the grey one.

EDIT: Seen on at least 18 different admirals, including the operations colour variant.

I kind of felt that the Admirals holding onto the Division-colour variant of their uniform made it seem even more "fancy". The Grey uniform was supposedly geared towards a more militaristic Starfleet, and since the Admirals weren't really on the front-line, it kind of made sense that they'd hold onto the mostly red command uniform. They seemed to reenforce this idea when Sisco briefly became Head of Starfleet Security and then wore the classic TNG red unform.

I remember the Admiral uniform changing an awful lot in the early TNG days. They eventually settled on this:
    bestofbothworldsone045.jpg
    It sort of became the standard until they settled again on the design I linked earlier.

As for Picard's Admiral uniform, the design looks fine. It would be interesting to see what came after the Grey uniform. I am kind of curious how far they go with the post-Generations comm-badge design before things change.

• Advertisement

That's the one I'm thinking of, think he was a Vice Admiral as opposed to an Admiral and I don't think that variant of the uniform appeared more than once.
    A rear admiral I think but admiral is a catch all term for every rank above captain.

it was a vice admiral, named toddman that appeared in the DS9 episode The Die is Cast

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Toddman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭liamtech

350?cb=20121210231959&path-prefix=enhttp:

worst in my mind

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

On that note, did they ever do a dress uniform that wasn't ridiculous?

I get the feeling this may have been a parody of the star fleet admiral uniform on Q's part

340?cb=20070210221119

I get the feeling this may have been a parody of the star fleet admiral uniform on Q's part

340?cb=20070210221119

Didn't he also sort of "promote" himself to Marshal in that episode?
    But yea, knowing Q he might have been making fun with this :D

The white one.

EDIT: This one

180?cb=20061215011646&path-prefix=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I never seen anything wrong with the dress uniform myself and certainly never seen them as been ridiculous. I hope we see them again in Picard.
    The white one.

I have to disagree I think that looked terrible but could look decent if they took up the two angled white parts of it on the top.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I never seen anything wrong with the dress uniform myself and certainly never seen them as been ridiculous. I hope we see them again in Picard.
    The TNG one wasn't good. I think if the front section was open and it look more like suit tails it would have been better.
    180?cb=20121207033123&path-prefix=en180?cb=20141207012001&path-prefix=en

The white one.

I actually hated that one the most! I think it's as AKMC said, the weird angly bits make it look bad. Would have looked a lot better in a square finish.

The TOS dress uniforms looked pretty dodgy as well imo.

633b5748624061e343d0501ffdacb04d.jpg

I think Captain Janeway was able to pull off the TNG style dress uniform in one episode where she was seen wearing it though. Just seemed like it was tailored a lot better for her, whereas when Picard and Riker are seen wearing it, it looks like they have it on back to front.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvoy.trekcore.com%2Fgallery%2Falbums%2F5x22%2Fsomeonetowatchoverme_053.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Advertisement

I like the pointy bit, it makes it look a bit like mess dress.

At least Kirk's dress uniform actually showed up the correct colour for command: Green not yellow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hot take: most TNG uniforms are garbage and awful to look at. It was only with the movie uniforms that they not only looked good, but the actors were comfortable wearing them.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hot take: most TNG uniforms are garbage and awful to look at. It was only with the movie uniforms that they not only looked good, but the actors were comfortable wearing them.

Notable exception:
    il_794xN.1817218108_g334.jpg

It's better, but still looks like some weird tat you'd get from Pennys. To be fair, many sci-fi costume designs from the late 70s to 80s looked absolutely awful.

It's better, but still looks like some weird tat you'd get from Pennys. To be fair, many sci-fi costume designs from the late 70s to 80s looked absolutely awful.

It's that pink-red velour that ruins it. Velour tending to ruin everything anyway.

The cut & design is great sure, but the fabric, yuck. I do not watch Trek for its production design, that's for sure.

I actually liked the later season TNG uniforms. The high-collar, wool material, looser two piece fit made it look a lot better than the early season spandex abominations.

It's that pink-red velour that ruins it. Velour tending to ruin everything anyway.

The cut & design is great sure, but the fabric, yuck. I do not watch Trek for its production design, that's for sure.

:p

And it was suede I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

This is episode 4/4 of this guys videos on uniform but it seems pretty comprehensive.

The best TNG uniform is the Yesterday's Enterprise variant. The higher collar, belts, and black cuffs made it look so much better.

We already had this 20 pages uniform chat before.

Take it to a new thread.

Or, recognise that this is a pretty small forum and topics tend to flow organically, especially when there's not much news.

FFVII wrote: »
    We already had this 20 pages uniform chat before.

Take it to a new thread.

Sir, yes sir!!!!

Sir, yes sir!!!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

some rumours from Denise Crosby that shes likely to appear Picard, assume not series 1 but.. Romulans etc wouldnt be surprised to see her pop up

some rumours from Denise Crosby that shes likely to appear Picard, assume not series 1 but.. Romulans etc wouldnt be surprised to see her pop up
    I wouldn't mind seeing Sela scheming again.

That woman should be the meme for "I immediately regret this decision"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

That woman should be the meme for "I immediately regret this decision"

Does anyone think Roddenberry didnt want her back permanently because she dared pass on the opportunity or was it just that the show had moved on so the only room for her was in yesterday's enterprise and Sela?

(Apologies for off topic :-)

To be fair, were I in Crosbies place back in the day, I would have left too. Watching season 1, she really had nothing to do throughout the run and while the same could be said for Word, Data or Troi, at least they had something to work with. Tasha Yar was Generic Human Crew, with maybe 1, 2 lines per episode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement