Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Evade wrote: »
    Unless Picard retcons it that would still have happened in the prime timeline.

Could be a Romulan attack on Mars for the destruction of Romulus.
    Kinda of like if I'm going down, you're coming with me.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

Could be a Romulan attack on Mars for the destruction of Romulus.
    Kinda of like if I'm going down, you're coming with me.
    Or maybe a Federation Praxis.

Or maybe a Federation Praxis.

It's as if we have no idea!! :D

It's as if we have no idea!! :D
    It's almost as if sequels have near endless possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Unless Picard retcons it that would still have happened in the prime timeline.
    It does happen - the Picard Countdown comic is set in the run-up to that event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It does happen - the Picard Countdown comic is set in the run-up to that event

:eek:
    Sounds like a desperation move so

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Who else from TNG is in Picard ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Who else from TNG is in Picard ?

It seems the series will focus on Picard himself and a new crew/group of people around him.

Other TNG cast may appear in an episode or two. From the trailers we've seen so far: Riker, Troi, Data, and Hugh – the Borg from the episode 'I, Borg'. And from Voyager: Seven of Nine.

Could be more familiar faces! But none more than Picard himself will be a primary focus.

We "should" see Captain LaForge at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Assuming Picard survives the end of the season, I bet the last scene will be a major cliffhanger involving a past character, I hope its Sela!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's been renewed for a second season so I assume they don't kill him off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True, though age must surely be creeping up, even on someone as effervescent as Stewart. Though acting is one of the few professions you'll see octo, or even nonogenarians still work

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m grand with that as long as Harry Kim never gets promoted beyond ensign.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Goodshape wrote: »
    It seems the series will focus on Picard himself and a new crew/group of people around him.

Other TNG cast may appear in an episode or two. From the trailers we've seen so far: Riker, Troi, Data, and Hugh – the Borg from the episode 'I, Borg'. And from Voyager: Seven of Nine.

Could be more familiar faces! But none more than Picard himself will be a primary focus.

I think it would be great to see Guinan and most especially Q as well. After all Q was there at the beginning and the end of TNG. Maybe not for a seson or two do.
    Brian? wrote: »
    I’m grand with that as long as Harry Kim never gets promoted beyond ensign.

I hope you are kidding. He should be Captain of his own Nova class science vessel by now. The USS Rhode Island maybe.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It should be like the Terran rebellion in the mirror universe for returning characters, captains all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The first Countdown comic has him in it alright, but still as a Commander at Utopia Planitia

Ms

So I see there is another short teaser trailer for this. It aired during the NFL last night. Can't find anything about it online do.There is a bit more about Riker in it and a bit about your one whi is with Picard. Thats all I know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So I see there is another short teaser trailer for this. It aired during the NFL last night. Can't find anything about it online do.There is a bit more about Riker in it and a bit about your one whi is with Picard. Thats all I know.

Here

Ms

Thank you,

Its not bad but I think the teaser trailer before it was better and revealed more too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Thank you,

Its not bad but I think the teaser trailer before it was better and revealed more too.

Only 24 more sleeps!!

• Advertisement

Whatever that red planet is.. and now I'm leaning more toward Mars.. those ships look like redesigned (modernised I guess) Klingon Birds of Prey going at it.

Slydice wrote: »
    Whatever that red planet is.. and now I'm leaning more toward Mars.. those ships look like redesigned (modernised I guess) Klingon Birds of Prey going at it.

Romulans (Tal Shiar) destroying the Federation rescue fleet?

Also, i think people confirmed Mars, by some of its attributes.

Romulans (Tal Shiar) destroying

lol, can you imagine the Tal Shiar business meeting pitch...
    "We can totally do it this time!"
    "The founders? who are the founders? never heard of the founders"
    "Koval, we don't need Kovals approval, let's keep Koval out of this"

:D

Ms

I am thinking more Romulan ships myself as the design looks more Romulan but I suppose if things are bad between the Federation and the Kingons and they do not want them rescuing Romulans I suppose it could be them either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

I am thinking more Romulan ships myself as the design looks more Romulan but I suppose if things are bad between the Federation and the Kingons and they do not want them rescuing Romulans I suppose it could be them either.

It'll be very interesting to see how they've dealt with the technology-fallout from Voyager's return. That armour tech in particular. I wonder if the Federation shared it to keep the balance of power and avert war? Did the Klingons strike immediately before the Fed had a chance to proliferate the tech? How do the Romulans play into all this in their weakened state?

However they answer those questions, I just hope they do it right it's nothing at all like the hollow approach of Discovery.

Inviere wrote: »
    It'll be very interesting to see how they've dealt with the technology-fallout from Voyager's return. That armour tech in particular. I wonder if the Federation shared it to keep the balance of power and avert war? Did the Klingons strike immediately before the Fed had a chance to proliferate the tech? How do the Romulans play into all this in their weakened state?

However they answer those questions, I just hope they do it right it's nothing at all like the hollow approach of Discovery.
    Dulmer and Lucsly waltz onto Voyager's bridge and impound the ship. Then the Bellerophon is decommissioned and refit to look like Voyager and used as a museum ship.

I'm interested to see what happens with quantum slipstream drive. Given Voyager had two semi successful runs using a drive that was hacked together thousands of light years from a starbase with a ship whose hull wasn't designed for the drive (this seemed to be the main issue that derailed the two attempts), you'd imagine the Federation's finest with full resources at their disposal should have no issue. Routine missions to the Delta quadrant should be interesting. Could even drop by and say hello to Neelix :pac:

Actually for that matter, would have made a lot more sense for Voyager to send Starfleets the specs once they re-acquired contact with Starfleet and have Starfleet build a rescue vessel. Ah plot hole fun.

Stark wrote: »
    Ah plot hole fun.

Kinda, but you could argue that that particular venture never happened, having been prevented in the future (!). You're right though, just because one ship couldn't make it with with limited resources*, doesn't mean the tech itself is flawed.

*ahem.

Kinda, but you could argue that that particular venture never happened, having been prevented in the future (!). You're right though, just because one ship couldn't make it with with limited resources*, doesn't mean the tech itself is flawed.

*ahem.

The second slipstream attempt? It still happened, but was gracefully aborted 10,000 light years into the journey thanks to Future Harry's intervention. So, definitely counted as a "semi-successful" trial.

• Advertisement

Actually for that matter, would have made a lot more sense for Voyager to send Starfleets the specs once they re-acquired contact with Starfleet and have Starfleet build a rescue vessel. Ah plot hole fun.
    Pathfinder only established contact with Voyager two years before they made it home. Considering the trouble they had getting a set of guns strapped to an engine to not fly apart not being able to design, test, and construct a ship with brand new hull and engine configurations in that time isn't unreasonable.

The better question is why not use Tom's impossible drive to get home? The side effect case of lizard evolution was easily curable.

This has been the issue for 20 years now. How do they handle the super powers Voyager brings back. Quantum Slip stream, knowledge of Transwarp hubs, Transphasic Torpedoes, Future armour, and a **** load of tech future Jayneway brought back that was, inexplicably, not compatible with the ship she was trying to save...

This has been the issue for 20 years now. How do they handle the super powers Voyager brings back. Quantum Slip stream, knowledge of Transwarp hubs, Transphasic Torpedoes, Future armour, and a **** load of tech future Jayneway brought back that was, inexplicably, not compatible with the ship she was trying to save...
    It's only a 30 year tech jump, 100+ year old Mirandas are still knocking around. The other major powers will catch up or maybe band together to bomb the crap out of the place ships with all this new fancy tech are being constructed...

It's only a 30 year tech jump, 100+ year old Mirandas are still knocking around. The other major powers will catch up or maybe band together to bomb the crap out of the place ships with all this new fancy tech are being constructed...

It's a 30 year tech jump overnight. 100 year old Mirandas may be bouncing around but would be massively refitted Vs stock.

Voyager was able to refit the tech, without space dock, Federation would have fleets of mega ships in days.

FFS how many Borg cubes did Voyager one shot?
    Nothing, absolutely nothing could withstand it in the regular alpha/beta powers.

I think they'll handwave it away, if they don't outright ignore it

It's a 30 year tech jump overnight. 100 year old Mirandas may be bouncing around but would be massively refitted Vs stock.

Voyager was able to refit the tech, without space dock, Federation would have fleets of mega ships in days.

FFS how many Borg cubes did Voyager one shot?
    Nothing, absolutely nothing could withstand it in the regular alpha/beta powers.

It was specifically anti Borg tech brought back by the most qualified person to know what the crew was capable of doing with the resources on hand. It still stretches suspension of disbelief but the sky hasn't fallen on the tech gap. I think the Breen, Shelliac, Tholians, Vissians, and probably others could still give Starfleet a run for their money on a ship to ship basis even with the new tech.

I think they'll handwave it away, if they don't outright ignore it
    They'll have to do that with the magic mushrooms anyway.

The second slipstream attempt? It still happened, but was gracefully aborted 10,000 light years into the journey thanks to Future Harry's intervention. So, definitely counted as a "semi-successful" trial.

Actually you're right, it was just aborted prematurely (I thought he sabotaged the whole thing). So yeah, there's a 10k light year engine for the writers to deal with :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Actually you're right, it was just aborted prematurely (I thought he sabotaged the whole thing). So yeah, there's a 10k light year engine for the writers to deal with :o

I'd imagine if they don't want to explore it, there'll be a convenient treaty that everyone has signed, not to pursue the tech :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I'd imagine if they don't want to explore it, there'll be a convenient treaty that everyone has signed, not to pursue the tech :D

I figured a "that tech damages space-time" solution, but your solution works just as well :p

Another short clip

Not sure why they keep showing that old Romulan Bird of Prey from TOS. So I'm guessing it's gonna be a flashback or a bit of time travel will be involved. It's so old, it's hardley still in service post-TNG/DS9/VOY.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably 'cos it scores extra nostalgia points; not like the franchise isn't desperately trying to claw some goodwill back wherever it can.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Presumably 'cos it scores extra nostalgia points; not like the franchise isn't desperately trying to claw some goodwill back wherever it can.
    Wouldn't nostalgia in Picard be for TNG era stuff? I know wouldn't mind seeing a shiny new shot of the Enterprise D in action.

• Advertisement

a shiny new shot of the Enterprise D in action.

That got me right in the feels. Some kind of flashback or a yesterdays enterprise part II ?

That got me right in the feels. Some kind of flashback or a yesterdays enterprise part II ?
    It has Borg in it so a little updated Borg vs D flashback would fit right in.

It has Borg in it so a little updated Borg vs D flashback would fit right in.

Want! GIVE IT!

Not sure why they keep showing that old Romulan Bird of Prey from TOS. So I'm guessing it's gonna be a flashback or a bit of time travel will be involved. It's so old, it's hardley still in service post-TNG/DS9/VOY.

Hard to say, it may be that the Romulans have drafted every ship they've got - inc museum exhibits!

Ms

I must say its very clever the way they keep releasing small teaser trailers. It keeps people interested and keeps it in the media.
    As for the old Romulan Bird of Prey I would say it has been drafted into service as a poster above said.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Hard to say, it may be that the Romulans have drafted every ship they've got - inc museum exhibits!

Yeah Romulans are probably using everything they can to keep there interstellar presence felt. . They are a broken people without a homeworld, may even be divided amongst faction lines, Romulan Republic vs Romulan Empire vs Romulan Monarchy vs Romulan Theocracy.

I'd say Warbirds are difficult to maintain and may be near impossible to operate without the support of a united empire and its resources behind it.

Ms

I would love if we get some flashbacks of Picard as Locutus during the Battle of Wolf 359. Would lovre to see some of the ships that fought that cube on the screen. That would be great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Can you post the link again? Can't find the post :-(

368100 wrote: »
    Can you post the link again? Can't find the post :-(

There was no link. I was just replying to the idea.

Here's some Yesterday's Enterprise anyway though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

So is Romulos and Vulcun destroyed in this time line or just Romulos

• Advertisement
Advertisement