Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I think that this is intentional and meant to show a bit of sedentary based frailty.
    He'll probably start to look stronger and more in command as it goes on

There was also an interview where he said that he wanted Picard to look his age, so I think they said that they eschewed some of the usual screen makeup to cover over the ageing process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that Irish accent was woeful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Skerries wrote: »

Woeful as it doesn't fit well on a Romulan or do you think it's a bad attempt?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

368100 wrote: »

I suspect he means the hologram, not Laris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I’m not liking frail Picard... I’m hoping at some point he loads up on some space steroids or maybe some Romulan speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Skerries wrote: »
    368100 wrote: »
    Spear wrote: »
    I suspect he means the hologram, not Laris.

I'm watching that scene right now!

It's Shay Cormac from AC Rogue shades of woeful :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I'm watching that scene right now!

It's Shay Cormac from AC Rogue shades of woeful :o

I thought it was meant to be Cornish or Devon at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

That Irish accent has basically destroyed the whole series for me. Feels more like a leprechaunish mockery than a character. All he was short of saying was something about “me lucky charms”.

I’m wondering how much of this is going to be just nostalgia for Picard it actually being watchable. It’s feels so dragged out so far.

I think the hologram had a different accent the first time (when the shrapnel was in his shoulder), an English one, so maybe we’ll see a thing where it has a different accent each time it appears or something?

• Advertisement

I think the hologram had a different accent the first time (when the shrapnel was in his shoulder), an English one, so maybe we’ll see a thing where it has a different accent each time it appears or something?

He was a different hologram. The first was an EMH, the second an ENH (navigational hologram), so I'm guessing he's crewed the ship with either multiple holograms, or there's one that's reskinned for different tasks.

Hopefully it’s the last time we see the ENH then.

Xertz wrote: »
    That Irish accent has basically destroyed the whole series for me. Feels more like a leprechaunish mockery than a character. All he was short of saying was something about “me lucky charms”.

I’m wondering how much of this is going to be just nostalgia for Picard it actually being watchable. It’s feels so dragged out so far.

Yet the romulan siblings accents is ok?

Of course it is, it’s a natural accent as she’s an Irish actress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I figured they where married are they brother and sister ? The two with Picard.

I figured they where married are they brother and sister ? The two with Picard.

I’d assume married after she called him a stubborn northerner like the soldier they had tied up.

• Advertisement

I liked that comment actually , because in my mind she was pointing out that the northern romulans , including the 2009 film ones look different because they are from a different region.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guys, FFS this is the "no spoilers" thread?? Would you ever take it to the episode thread

pixelburp wrote: »
    Guys, FFS this is the "no spoilers" thread?? Would you ever take it to the episode thread

Apologies, completely in the wrong thread.

Deleted the comments

I've no issue with that one. It's a real Irish accent and she's not making it into some kind of joke.

While Star Trek has had some excellent Irish characters e.g. Miles O'Brien and even Data's Irish mammy, geologist Juliana O'Donnell, played by Fionnula Flanagan, it still goes off on these bonkers di-de-li O'Irish tropes like Fair Haven on Voyager which was utterly cringe inducing unless you're watching while eating a box of Lucky Charms with your Green Beer somewhere in the US Midwest.

A US audience won't really notice that they're suddenly gone into the Irish version of Groundskeeper Willie school of bad voice coaching.

Speaking of spoilers...

The Picard soundtrack has been released, and the track titles spoil some moderately specific plot points from future episodes, so don't be tempted by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just had a thought that it might be fun to see Colm Meaney have a cameo in this show...

.. and to hear his opinion
    on the Irish accents
    :)

Also Data wasn't the only working android of that level of sophistication. His mother was actually even more sophisticated and has more in common with these 'synths' in the sense she's undetectable as an android.

Bring back Juliana O'Donnell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I liked that comment actually , because in my mind she was pointing out that the northern romulans , including the 2009 film ones look different because they are from a different region.

A no spoiler thread and your entire post is a spoiler.

"shakes head"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Been late to watching it as I wanted a bit of peace uninterrupted to watch it. I am hooked, haven't been as excited for a series in a long time.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Been late to watching it as I wanted a bit of peace uninterrupted to watch it. I am hooked, haven't been as excited for a series in a long time.

Me too, surprised a little how good it is.

A no spoiler thread and your entire post is a spoiler.

"shakes head"

Yeh I know , I’d accidentally posted it replying to another comment not realising what thread I was I. . A few of us lost the run of ourselves that day. So I spoiler tagged the whole post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8INVWNAnlx/?igshid=bolzppj8kxpm

What Data would look like if they hadn't applied the CGI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Yeh I know , I’d accidentally posted it replying to another comment not realising what thread I was I. . A few of us lost the run of ourselves that day. So I spoiler tagged the whole post.

No spoiler in the post anyway.

It turns out the actress that plays Admiral Clancy has a colourful past work record.

She was the lead singer in a psychedelic rock band called Bongwater, and later sang in a satirical metal band call, appropriately enough, Vulcan Death Grip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Magnuson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In the first episode the Irish accents reminded me strangely of those Kerrygold ads with French people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The setting too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I’m not liking frail Picard... I’m hoping at some point he loads up on some space steroids or maybe some Romulan speed
    Patrick Stewart is 79 years of age, let him be frail. I'm really glad they are not trying to make an action hero out of him. It was bad enough in the Next Gen movies. it's one aspect of the show I actually like.

Patrick Stewart is 79 years of age, let him be frail. I'm really glad they are not trying to make an action hero out of him. It was bad enough in the Next Gen movies. it's one aspect of the show I actually like.

Stallone is 82 and he just made a new Rambo !!!
    We need to see Picard throwing some double fist punches !!!

Stallone is 82 and he just made a new Rambo !!!
    We need to see Picard throwing some double fist punches !!!

He's a comparitively spritely 73.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At least the show treats Picard as the age he is; and Stewart himself is ageing gracefully. Stallone is a roided up, botoxed mess clearly fighting the tides.

pixelburp wrote: »
    At least the show treats Picard as the age he is; and Stewart himself is ageing gracefully. Stallone is a roided up, botoxed mess clearly fighting the tides.

Stallone will our live us all... got the best steroids/wigs in Hollywood.... if they can reclaim a Borg cube then Jean-Luc can reclaim his hair !!!

Stallone will our live us all... got the best steroids/wigs in Hollywood.... if they can reclaim a Borg cube then Jean-Luc can reclaim his hair !!!

Wasn't he voted sexiest man or somewhere on that list? They obviously liked the bald

One of the many egregious balls ups of Nemesis was that awful college photo of Picard, bald in his 20s, just in case the audience was too stupid to twig it was Jean Luc. IIRC too, some dialogue passed it off as a dare, but that he liked it so much he kept it? Or am I mis-remembering?

As to Stallone, I'd say his heart might be struggling to keep pace with that regimen. Can't be good for it, all those steroids and weights. Arnie's ageing better I thought, he looked well in Dark Fate. Definitely a touch less neurotic in his appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Started watching this last night, had no idea it was available over here yet. It was by fluke that I saw a trailer on youtube and decided to see when it would be released.......I watched the first episode and the start of episode two. Straight away it just felt right. I tried to get into Star trek discovery but it didnt feel like "Trek" if that makes any sense. But I was hooked into this from the get go.
    Looking forward to seeing where its all going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

if they can reclaim a Borg cube then Jean-Luc can reclaim his hair !!!

He sure can!

112201818023431489.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Didn't they have TnG episodes with him and hair?

I need to rewatch nemesis i don't remember that scene at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

It was in Violations and was a dream/flashback of Picard telling Beverly that Jack was dead.

I need to rewatch nemesis i don't remember that scene at all.

There was a flashback where Dr. Crusher was remembering going to identify Jack Crusher's body. Picard came along as support, and was done up in this makeup.

Cadet Picard also had hair when Q sent him back in time to fight a Nassican.

Apparently Steward also had to wear a wig in his early screenings of TNG because Roddenberry wanted the new captain to be a "New Kirk", and Kirk couldn't be bald apparently....

Just an FYI, but the new Picard novel gives some really good back story as to what happened during the Romulan crisis. Presumably the most important plot & character points will eventually come up during the series, but it oulines where the irritating JL came from (no less satisfying, but anyway), what was going on with the synths, why the federation may have retreated into themselves etc. Worth a read in my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think the show has been fairly poor all round but I'll stick with it for now. Just wondering will
    this ship Captain turn out to be an ECH opening the way for JL to take charge of the ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Yea, very slow first 3 EPs. Nothing happening.

FFVII wrote: »
    Yea, very slow first 3 EPs. Nothing happening.

If it wasn’t ST I’d have left it so after last week. But I don’t watch much and it is ST so I’ll live in hope.

It’s mad how much leeway it’s getting compared to the zero Discovery got. Almost any episode of Discovery was infinitely better than this has been so far.

If it wasn’t ST I’d have left it so after last week. But I don’t watch much and it is ST so I’ll live in hope.

It’s mad how much leeway it’s getting compared to the zero Discovery got. Almost any episode of Discovery was infinitely better than this has been so far.

I think some of that might be due to the novelty of actually moving forward in time in Star Trek instead of re-threading the TOS era yet again.

It's a shock and a novelty to actually be moving forward in time again for the first in over a decade. This is a massive bonus for me...but there is a voice in the back of my head reminding me that Picard could still turn out to be bad overall, despite my hopes that it will be good.

I welcomed Discovery initially. The idea that it would feature the Klingon War excited me...but since they went the same direction of ENT, and the JJ films, my own patience for yet another prequel was thin. Thus Discovery's failings were little more glaring to me than if it were another Trek show in the TNG era.

That said, Voyager was a TNG era show and it routinely pisses me off. There are some really good episodes, there are also plenty of horribly done stories that were sometimes just the re-heated leftovers of TNG episodes. Both Discovery and Voyager pissed away what potential they had as Trek shows, and that annoys me more than smaller cannon /design issues.

Picard still has loads of potential, which I hope it will live up to...but there is as much chance of them somehow screwing it up....and then alas it'll be the new Voyager in my head. Even Seven of Nine is in there somehow.....I hope that's not an omen :(

Rawr wrote: »
    He sure can!

112201818023431489.jpg

:D

If Jean-Luc still had that beautiful head of hair, he would still be an admiral and potentially running start fleet. He lost his job/ they wouldn't listen to him because he is follicle challenged. The whole Picard show is basically about how even in the 24 century bald people are still discriminated against.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Rawr wrote: »
    I think some of that might be due to the novelty of actually moving forward in time in Star Trek instead of re-threading the TOS era yet again.

It's a shock and a novelty to actually be moving forward in time again for the first in over a decade. This is a massive bonus for me...but there is a voice in the back of my head reminding me that Picard could still turn out to be bad overall, despite my hopes that it will be good.

I welcomed Discovery initially. The idea that it would feature the Klingon War excited me...but since they went the same direction of ENT, and the JJ films, my own patience for yet another prequel was thin. Thus Discovery's failings were little more glaring to me than if it were another Trek show in the TNG era.

That said, Voyager was a TNG era show and it routinely pisses me off. There are some really good episodes, there are also plenty of horribly done stories that were sometimes just the re-heated leftovers of TNG episodes. Both Discovery and Voyager pissed away what potential they had as Trek shows, and that annoys me more than smaller cannon /design issues.

Picard still has loads of potential, which I hope it will live up to...but there is as much chance of them somehow screwing it up....and then alas it'll be the new Voyager in my head. Even Seven of Nine is in there somehow.....I hope that's not an omen :(
    It slow moving but im happy enough with it. Stewart/picard will always get an easier ride because of nostalgia. Plus there is more of an ST feel to this show than Discovery. Adressing values etc It is also good to be moving the timeline forward but I was disappointed that they didnt use the books idea of him beeing married to Beverly and having a son. They were obviously non canonical but would be nice to see the old man get reguarly laid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement