Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Yeah, the JJ verse has them but the main timeline didn't really until now, Picard wasn't even sure what the were called in the Big Goodbye. Just another instance of lack of imagination or care I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Eh, I dunno. I doubt the marketing and design company/department used would have been given enough of a brief on "Star Trek", or enough time TBH, to fashion something conceptually appropriate. From my (very) brief time working in the hellscape known as marketing design, the team were probably given a brief, and about 3 hours to come up with something for publicity. The account manager probably shot down about a half dozen variants, they OK'ed the highway design 'cos it looked cool, and out it went. Plenty to hang Kurtzman over, but I"d not hold him or anyone in his radius to account for that kind of thig.

Not giving a department adequate time to do their job well is a lack of care about what you're making. It's not like whoever makes the promotional image has to wait on any of the rest of the production to do their job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Welcome to marketing design departments; the adage that you have to pick two from it being good, fast or cheap doesn't apply here, and I'd not assume that the production team have any visibility or say in the marketing material made by (likely) an outsourced company. Marketing is its own entity these days in Hollywood. I'm not saying it's not sloppy, but this wouldn't be the first time a piece of promotional artwork failed to capture the tone of a final product. It's not unique to Trek.

A full trailer is out; and guys - it looks like it's going full The Voyage Home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great to see Orla Brady is back for season 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yeah she is great. Seems to have more of a role this season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Trailer left me kinda underwhelmed. I'm getting more of a Voyager "Future's End" rather than "ST IV Voyage Home" feel from this and I can't quite determine why. I think the time travel aspect, especially to a 21st Century setting, is a very lazy money saving ploy. For me the most interesting aspect of Picard is seeing how the characters & Federation have fared in the future beyond the tv series. This just dumps all that potential for a time travel story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Cars in Star Trek?

Ah wait, 21st century.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Drexel_3

I gotta say I enjoyed the first season and that trailer has me excited about season two now!

Reminds me of the voyager episode where they went back in time to LA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Can Q go back in time and stop this dogsh1t from ever being made...also while hes at it make sure Discovery never sees the light of day....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I have to be honest, I never liked the time travel to the current time to save the whales plot in the Voyage Home and this looks worse. If they at least make the choice between the Dark Federation and the one we know a hard one like if the DF is secure from all outside threats in exchange for a lack of personal freedom there could be an interesting Yesterday's Enterprise type dilemma but I think that's asking too much of the current staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looking forward to this. The trapped Borg Queen shot was cool!

So, would a Dark Federation have allied with the Romulans rather than Vulcan?

It looks like they're leaning more towards Human a supremacist state like the Terran Empire in Enterprise. Given the timeframe it looks like the change could be altering how or even if the events of WWIII unfold.

Depending on the exact date Picard an co. travel back to there could be 3 other Starfleet officers running around San Francisco at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Enterprise E and the Cerritos both had buggies.

Why not a hover buggy? I never understood that scene. Unless the planet had some magic anti hover mode minerals

It's weird alright. It can't even have been about budget because there's a very similar sequence later on in a hovering vehicle. A throw away line would have done a lot to justify it, it's not like Starfleet hasn't ever looked back to solve technical issues, the TR-116 being a prime example.

• Advertisement

That looks real bad.

IIRC the buggy was Patrick Stewart's own idea, who wanted to muck about with a dune buggy and had it worked into the script as a set piece. Given nemesis's director had never watched Trek before, it was probably an easy sell and got no pushback over the contradiction of character.

That story alone has told me that the actors themselves are often the worst people to be gatekeepers for fictional characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Move futuristic scifi series to contemporary Earth to 'save the future' \ 'save the budget'

*Flashbacks to Galactica 1980*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Oh it's 100% a budget thing. But you know, that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Runaway budgets can often mean no self-reflection or examination in the writer's room. Being forced to focus on the characters might bring some much-needed structure to the show.

I'm the eternal optimist, I know 😁

Is it cheaper though? There's a lot of location shots in the trailer.

On balance, I'd say so. Location shooting is only as expensive as the tax credits on offer there: otherwise, there are is no need for custom set dressing; the myriad of costumes for the extra; all CGI to fix background detail; and so on. Even episodic shows like TNG, predominantly taking place in the same 4, 5 sets would have still incurred more cost for all those once-off costumes, sets and FX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My logic would be, why waste energy fighting the planet's gravity if you don't have to.

Starfleet use hover technology for almost eveything else. If they were worried about wasting energy why spend energy making an artificial gravity field on a ship/station then more energy on an anti gravity trolley? Without roads or set paths hovering gets around a lot of obstacles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

I guess you might have some situations where the anti-grav tech couldn't be counted on, and having a wheeled car might be needed.

You might but the hovering shuttle near the end of the sequence kind of ruled that out in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye that whole scene did not make any sense. I think they just done it because they thought it would be cool and young me did think it was cool. Maybe Patrick Stewart did not think the director would take what he said seriously bit as soon as the director heard it he said ye let's go for that it would be coolvespwcially with him having no Star Trek experience or knowledge.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I only just looked at the trailer on You-Tube today and all I can say is I like it. Yes it might be a way of saving money but I look forward too seeing what they do and how they do it and we have Patrick Stewart, John De Lancie and the Borg Queen all in one show. What more could you ask for. I for one am looking forward to season 2 of Picard.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

So they are introducing a fascist Federation and having the cast travel back to the 21st century? This can only mean one thing - they want to enable their diverse writing team of non-star trek fans to tackle their favourite subject - woke politics. None of your pesky utopian Roddenberry stuff required.

Think ill give it a miss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Not this nonsense again. Roddenberry created a socially progressive Utopia. TOS had the first ever mixed race kiss on TV. TNG was full of social commentary.

If Star Trek isn’t woke, nothing is.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Woke isnt progressive, its regressive. The politics of the victim, with Picard flagellating himself for the crime of being a successful white male, all set against a fascist dystopia. This isnt Star Trek.

Ah give over with this.

It’s a thread about Star Trek not Jordan Peterson.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"and still too many wimmin in modern Trek.

PS: I am not a virgin"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keep it friendly please folks and enough of the culture war stuff, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am throughly underwhelmed by that trailer. They seem to be doubling down on everything I disliked about the first season (pretty much everything). Once again they are actively avoiding the continuity while sprinkling in references to the half a dozen episodes of the show they watched. It makes me sad that they wasted the opportunity to give Picard and the TNG crew one last adventure together. Like Discovery I think I am done with this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought Enterprise already battled Space Nazis to save the future...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Question, do you think it will be a realistic portrait of the 24th century that EVERY top scientist , leader, admiral etc is a woman ?

I mean, It's the 24th utopian century sure, but wouldn't a closer 50/50 model be more accurate ?

It seems they are trying to make up for past sexism in the show with sexism in the other direction ...

Also would the Picard we know from TNG allow himself to be spoken to like that ?

To be cursed at and told to "Shut the f*ck up" ?

Would he just meekly accept it like this new 'modern' Picard does ?

• Advertisement

they/them/theirs

Its impossible to believe its the same character. At least with Discovery you can ignore the show, this series has ruined one of the best loved characters in ST. Awful stuff.

Id ask maybe people wait til the show airs before judging it but it's also obvious some have decided their bias.

In more fun news, the show runner shared Picard's food choices from his replicator: minus points for "french fries" which IIRC in France are just called "frites" (fries lol)

The first season already aired. They turned one of the greatest heroes of the ST universe into a doddery old gobshite whose sole purpose appears to be harangued and abused by appallingly written, obnoxious angry women. For what? Its pathetic.

RedLetterMedia cover it perfectly here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQdf93e63I&t=1065s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Critical drinker did a great video on it too, on your other post about it ruining a character - TNG is still all there untouched, I still give it the odd rewatch and treat this show like it doesn't exist.

Critical Drinker? The man is a gimp. He churns out lowest common denominator anti PC/anti woke videos that people lap up.

they/them/theirs

Drinker's videos are usually pretty good.

I was on S05 of a TNG watch-through when this dross came out, dropped it and haven't gone back. They really destroyed the character in this. Sheer **** hubris indeed.

Any of the videos of ever seen are him ranting about how SJWs are ruining films. Ridiculous stuff.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Advertisement