Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He is smart enough to avoid the actual cliches, but the message is the same.

I may be wrong though, I haven’t watched all of his videos.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

The message is usually most Hollywood films are pretty bad these days, that's not exactly controversial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah lads. The forum was doing so well lately. So much fun chat, now this whiny shíte again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

saw a load of posts and scrolled right through it all, came out the other end of the shawshank pipe sh1te free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's always Nazis

When's the last time we had Soviets?

They must be due a comeback.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

Because Fascists are almost universally considered bad, Soviets are not unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Do you want to put up a list of topics we are allowed to discuss as not to upset you?

The bullshit writing in this show destroyed Picard, its cringeworthy watching for those of use who enjoyed the original version of the character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He actually gives good analysis on why series/tv shows lately are bad, and not just SJW stuff, check out his video on The Predator (2018) and how it's so terrible ...

I know it’s terrible already. I really struggle to listen to him.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Production has halted for this: Seasons 2 and 3 were being filmed back-to-back at the time of the shutdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

I guess they need to be extra careful with Patrick Steward being in such a risk category, his chances of recovering from Covid are a good deal less than many there.

Brent Spiner is mentioned in the cast? Interesting...I wonder if he's continuing as Soogn Jr, or as some alternate reality Data? (since this show appears to be going that way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

From what I've heard, Brent Spiner is playing Altan Soong again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Call me one of the whiners but I did not like this character.

A character that really was pulled out of no where considering that it was often considered that Data, Lore etc were Dr Soong's children as it believed he had no children of his own.

Was it to appease Brent Spiner who didn't want to be wearing android make up? Not that I'd blame him. Altan Soong's role should have been Commander Maddox played by the original actor and not the re-cast who lasted two episodes.

If Spiner understandably didn't want to do the make up again they could have made him a later more human looking model like Julia Tainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

Yeah, it's rubbish. Cheapens the thing, like one of those old fan productions that would occasionally get a classic actor in to play any old role. Fun in a fan-fiction / fan-service kind of way but really cheap and lazy.

You can really imagine the producers / writers-room coming up with it too. "Brent will come back but doesn't want to do the OAP-Android bit", "How about yet-another-Soong?", "LOL, yeah sure **** it. Why not"

But why, though? Should have been Maddox.

The funny thing is having a body that aged at the pace his friends' bodies were aging would have been Data's ultimate dream. If they wanted to bring Spiner back in a makeup free role, having Data resurrected in a full human-like aging body instead of that consciousness construct would have worked well imo. Also having a body with simulated aging would have worked much better for Data's character than Picard's because really, what actual human wouldn't desire a second chance at youth if given the option.

I haven't watched Picard since it came out, did the every say what kind of heart he has now?

they/them/theirs

Spoilers are allowed on this thread and spoiler text also exists. The post that prompted my question already said Picard has a new body

• Advertisement

They never said but I presume it's the standard synth heart.

I guess another happy side effect of the synth body transfer is he's completely free of any residual Borg modifications now.

I think you give the writers more credit than they deserve, that they might even remember that particular fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think that extends back across ST in general.

In re-watching TNG I've found 2 episodes (so far) that show they can just change a persons physical age using transporters and stored copies of their pattern... they seem to forget these advancements in medical science very quickly when it suits a story line.

I liked Picard. Yes it wasn't the same captain, he's old, he's bitter, he's flawed. I thought it was a very believable outcome for a man who was stubborn in his pursuit of being noble and good without any interest in power and politics.... especially when you consider that the people who were playing politics and getting into power were those who wanted him out of the way.

I would like to see more of starfleet in season 2/3 though, make it more of a ST series than focused on Picard solely. Get Riker and some of those fancy new ships involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Im Hoping that Jean Luc has a love interest and/or a sex life in the upcoming season… for too long tv has refused to give older actors/characters a sex life/ love making scenes on screen.

To be fair, I liked this version of Picard too; as you say this was a man haunted by decisions made in his youth, left a bitter man. I'm sure many didn't like their hero beaten by a life left unfulfilled - shades of Luke Skywalker there I suppose - but for me, it was a great jumping-off point for a new story. Maybe something of the variety of It's a Wonderful Life, where Picard got to renew his lost purpose and sense of optimism.

Nope; we got nothing like that. I'm not even sure the writers knew where they were going with the show TBH, as seen by the increasingly bizarre back half, that spiralled out of control. All of what you describe might have been a great show, but it wasn't what we got.

He mightn't of had that much Borg tech left in him if any. The impression I got is that the amount of time you've got Borg tech in you determines how dependent you are on things like a Cordical Node or other serious changes the Borg appear to make. Looks like it's a really gradual process and he was only Borg for the guts of a week (?). The physiological damage was long lasting, and he had at least enough Borg tech in him to "hear" the Collective in First Contact, but I'm guessing he was mostly implant free at this stage.

However, being an android clone should indeed remove all of that. I wonder if they'll remember this when the Borg Queen turns up.

Altan said he fixed the brain thing, he might have left the nonagenarian ED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I would love if they bring Data back for one more scene where Jean Luc and Data discuss ED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Borg Queen! Borg Queen!

getting excited for the teases of the

Borg Queen!

Not as much a spoiler, she was in the teaser trailer :P

Bless your optimism, hopefully it is not misplaced. Although these people have made another Trek show that I have already given up on, I have some hope that ST:Picard can still be watchable and that I can glein some entertainment from Season 2. But I am weary of Secret Hideout's uncanny ability to take good ideas and fail to follow through.

That all said, Voyager had reduced the Borg Queen to the status of a Cartoon Villainess. So if they can manage to inject at least some intrigue or menace back into her character it will be a step up I feel.

She was cool the first time. But she’s been way over used IMO.

they/them/theirs

Has everyone seen this trailer? It gives way too much away for my liking. 100% going to watch it all though

https://youtu.be/SWVA1ceMcko

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I must have missed that trailer. Didn't think they were doing a Star Trek 4 on it. FFS, this will just be another pile of poo like the first season.

I'd agree, but I feel that she's also been misused.

In First Contact, she was an interesting novelty, and her first appearance in Voyager was interesting. But then after that she sort of devolved into a rather feckless idiot monster-queen who didn't know how to throw a dozen cubes at Voyager to get rid of them. Her behavior in End Game was beyond silly.

They could have made her cunning and extremely dangerous, but the Voyager crew routinely beat her with not too much difficulty. Future Janeway suggested that she had even beaten the Queen multiple times on her way home, suggesting that even after 20+ years of fighting an isolated Starfleet vessel, the Borg Queen still couldn't beat them.

The Borg Queen could be good again, if they can figure out a way to make her a more complex and dangerous character.

• Advertisement

Did you watch the trailer? She's going to be plugging like a time travel sat nav.

they/them/theirs

Looks like we won't have to wait too long more for this. Premiering March 3rd.

I wouldn't discount the ability of a (well written) villain to get herself unhooked from that and fashion a new torso for herself. Looks like she was getting friendly with Dr. Agnes in the trailer. Maybe this was just seconds before she jumps her, assimilates her and transfers herself over onto a new body.

I won't mind Agnes being reformed as a Borg Queen. Would be a step up from the Android-scientist who didn't seem too haunted by her unnecessary murder of Maddox, which I'm convinced the writers had somehow managed to forget about by the end of Season 1. She kind of annoys me, and it would do no harm to the show if she just went away..

Watched the trailer again for this; had kinda forgotten what the thrust of Season 2 was. I had also forgotten how suspiciously cheap it all looked, what with the convenient time-travel back to 2021 Los Angeles.

WWIII started in the 2020s. Picard having to steer Earth towards WW3 as a necessary evil to correct the timeline and ensure the Federation and Earth's place in it exists as we know it would be a pretty good moral dilemma and would tie back into the trial in Encounter at Farpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was going to say Galactica 1980 are looking for royalties!

But Trek has been here before, with TOS episode "Assignment Earth" trying to be a pilot for a 1968 set series & Voyager has a nice 'contemporary' trip to LA also iirc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Oh, I quite like that idea! That sounds like fun.

I just had a bad thought

Picard: We will need contemporary clothing and communicators to blend in

Raffie: I've got it covered JL. I've combined our communicators and tricorders into this. It looks like an Apple iPhone 14 the premier communication device of this period *awkwardly holds logo towards to the camera*

Huh. That would be a good twist all right; but don't you dare try and get my hopes up for any kind of narrative complexity.

I also imagine, in regards to cheapness, the bulk of the actual FX will be various cutaways to Picard's ship in orbit; the captain relegated to a "tech support" when some futuristic narrative fast-tracking is needed.

I don’t have the faith in the writers doing that good a job.

they/them/theirs

Realistically it'll be mediocre, at best, and will probably abandon what's arguably the most interesting new character after the third episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I saw this trailer a while back and it reminded me of a story I read years ago - The Gift. Here's a synopsis (spoilers etc):

Looks like several elements from this new season may have been "inspired" by this? (Q sends Picard back in time where a Picard has turned the Federation into a dictatorship) Another Discovery-style mess in the making?

Meh, I won't be watching anyway. They killed Picard at the end of season 1 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Is that the ST:IV time travel method?

• Advertisement
Advertisement