Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

2024 is the year of the Bell Riots? So in theory they could run into Sisko and Bashir 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Naw. Looks like crap. Really hate those "future people visit the past" stories and Trek IV only worked cos it leaned into the comedy; Picard has been consistently too self-serious to know when to throttle the melodrama. While in the week The Expanse finished and left us 3 books shy, I'm getting sick of this cheap narrative diarrhea passing itself off as professional scriptwriting.

Plus you just know the Guinan appearance will be one scene, then she's gone for the rest of the season. As it was in season 1; aka, pandering

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I agree. Despite the characters, it just doesn't look like Star Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

So, the new trailer,

It's definitely going to be using the Borg Queen to Wile E. Coyote slingshot around the sun.

Did I see Terran Steamrunner and Nova class ships, the yellow markings on them, or this an alternate - alternate Terran Universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

According to Data, Irish reunification happens in 2024. I wonder will it be mentioned at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Taiwan. I don't think Russia has the capability to create augments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

Taiwan. I don't think Russia has the capability to create augments

You sure?

• Advertisement

Watched the trailer now.

Ugh….now I’m filled with some foreboding. It could still be good, but the beats they dicided to focus on in that trailer kind of un-ravelled some off the good will I had built up for this season. I hope to be proven wrong there.

Also, the final line from Guinan just filled me with cringe, especially that over played «pling» from their toast. How is it possible that can they manage to make me cringe at Guinan, one of my favorite Trek characters? I go into this season concerned alas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s going to be awful. But we are all going to watch it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah. Basically. At least for another season anyway.

Others have mentioned this, but I really hate the look of this show. As in the special effects and how it's shot. However bad Discovery is, it looks a lot better than this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't know. There's far too much good TV out there to waste time on substandard drek, and bar Lower Decks I've hit a critical mass of impatience for shít I genuinely believe I could do better with. I'll give it a few episodes but would have no problem dropping it were the quality the same low standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

So Guinan's bar is at No. 10, Forward Avenue.

That's bloody stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Got to admit the time travel part saves them an awful amount of money on the things that the fans really want i.e. more than one starship, possibly static shots of said ships to get a close look at them, thrilling stories set in a post dominion war starfleet etc. Not that they'd use their savings on such things, mind.

Sigh. Why is this and Discovery being shoved down our throats when there's a whole existing universe ready to entertain the audience?

Strange New Worlds will be good...but at the same time it's still a prequel.

• Advertisement

I've wondered if the predominance of the earthbound, Galactica 1980 material is cos they have shot seasons 2 and 3 back to back. That's a helluva logistical and financial commitment, so maybe - and I'm being hopeful/naive - it's rationalising the purse strings for a grander third season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd be thinking it's just another way of avoiding having to deal with the continuity and iconography of the 24th century TNG spin-offs, which I think is a deliberate creative decision that is to some extent non-negotiable.

I also think time travel to Earth is just something all Star Trek writers have to get out of their system. The Picard showrunners don't seem to be very familiar with the show and probably don't realise how often this has been done. Of course previously this would have just been one or two episodes at most where as it looks like fans have to suffer through a whole season of it this time.

At least when TNG time travelled to past Earth they had the decency to set it at the end of the 19th century and not just have it be a cost saving measure.

I dunno, I know what you mean but those period episodes were probably just as cheap as contemporary settings; given half the sets come as pre-existing permanent locations, the costumes a simple case of raiding the Paramount wardrobe. Nowadays you got 3rd parties offering generic sets, as opposed to just walking across the studio backlot.

Moving the production about 350 miles for some location shooting in San Francisco probably wasn't cheap

• Advertisement

Wait, do we know it did? Sure it isn't a dressed up LA - looks too sunny to be San Fran 😆 Anyway, depends doesn't it, don't discount Hollywood Accounting and ye old tax breaks etc. Just making the point that period shooting often used/uses prefab assets, costing less than actual location shooting.

Even today you'll see it: there's a patch of "generic city block" I've seen in tonnes of shows, from Brooklyn 99 and sundry sitcoms, to Agents of SHIELD so it's swings and roundabouts.

There were some scenes shot at Pico Houses in San Francisco others were at Olvera Street in LA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

All TV is shot in Vancouver these days anyway as California is getting too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will they finally give us an answer to the Guinan & Q story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Hopefully we get a great sex scene… that what the fans want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Geriatric sex brought up in this thread twice in one week? Did I miss a memo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is there a director's cut of "Tapestry" showing what happened before Picard woke up in bed with Q floating around anywhere? Asking for a friend.

Patrick Stewart has said S3 will be the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement

Seasons 2 and 3 were apparently shot back to back, which would make sense really if Stewart was only doing it as a short term project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

That gives me some hope that Season 3 might finish off strong. If they know that they're only going that far with the story then they might do a better job at organizing their story threads and finishing up the show in a way that is satisfying.

Or they could just "Secret-Hideout" the hell of it and somehow not manage even that. I hope for the former.

I kind of hope they don't. The mysterious unanswered nature of their relationship seemed to suit their characters perfectly. Voyager kind of pissed all over that by trying to explain the Q, but they still remain very mysterious. Guinan is also a mysterious character where you're left to wonder if all El-Auians have her abilites...or is Guinan just a special kind of evolved being, on her way to becoming like the Q?

We don't always need the answers to a mystery. Sometimes, the mystery itself is the fun part.

Was there an announcement that Patrick Stewart has a terminal illness that I missed somewhere?

Don't think so, other than him being in his 80s so him passing away in the next few years isn't that unlikely.

No, but the man is 81 after all, and the commitment of an intense TV shoot is surely a bit needless for him; at this stage in his life anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Regardless of my opinion on the writing nothing will ever take from Sir Patrick being an absolute legend to me for his portrayal of JLP in tng.

The Shakespearean training really makes his work incredible imo.

I just hope the writers for this show give his character a proper final story. Even one more scene of him in the fleet colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am looking forward to watching the next two seasons of Picard and seeing what they have done. I have not watched the trailers and will mot watch them. I hope that season three does Picard justice and that it is a good season and we get to see-Picard back in a Starfleet Uniform one last time. I think Patrick Stewart is the best actor that Star Trek has ever had with Brent Spinner in 2nd and Leonard Nimoy 3rd. The worst Star Trek actors are from Discovery and Voyager. I like Voyager but sometimes the acting on it was just terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Bit harsh on Voyager there imo. Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan are fairly decent and Robert Picardo is up there with my favourite Star Trek actors.

Ms

I don't think so. I liked Voyager most of it but at times the acting was like something from a soap. Yes Robert Picardo has certainly has a successful career being in Star Trek Voyager, DS9 as well as First Contact and Stargate as well as more shows and did do good acting plenty of times.

Unfortunetly Jeri Ryan was only ever in Voyager for her sexiness not her acting. She is not a bad actor do.

Kate Mulgrew done OK put there were times when she could have done better.

I was not saying they were crap they are way better than any of the actors in Discovery just that they were not on the same lever as Patrick Stewart or Brent Spinner or even Avery Brooks. You could even say some of the lesser character actors in DS9 done better acting like the actors that done Dukat or Garak or Armin Shimmeman who was Quark.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Voyager wasn't great, but they were still leaps ahead of Enterprise, ensign Mayweather in particular. That actor would easily make my Top 1 of worst actor in a Trek's main cast.

Worse than Wil Wheaton?

Roxanna Dawson and Robert Duncan McNeill might not appear in front of camera much but they have quite the directors resumé built up. I remember seeing Dawsons name pop up on three episodes of Agents of SHIELD and Robert apparently turned down a Star Trek directing gig to go direct on The Orville instead.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
    Ms

Enterprise ain't that bad. At least it has proper Star Trek aesthetics unlike Discovery.

I would watch Enterprise over Discovery any day. Yes some things could have been better in it and if Many Coto had of been there sooner it would have.

At least they did not mess with the races or the shop designs do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Enterprise was boring. The characters were completely free of charisma. I just couldn’t deal with it.

Discovery at least had some adventure. Turned to muck though.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Will episodes of Picard arrive on Prime on the same date they are release Paramount+ in the US ?

Also, how come Paramount only took Star Trek Discovery from Netflix and not the other four series and not Picard/Lower Decks from Prime?

Since the Paramount+ isn’t coming here or the U.K. until the summer I would have thought it made more sense to let Discovery Season 4 be released.

@Useless Lump

Why isn’t Star Trek: Discovery coming to Netflix internationally?

In an unexpected move, Deadline reports that ViacomCBS has bought back the international rights to seasons 1-3 of Star Trek: Discovery.

Before this buyback, essentially every region outside of the United States and Canada carried Star Trek: Discovery. In total, 188 Netflix countries used to carry Star Trek: Discovery. Not only that, it does so as a Netflix Original complete with Netflix Original branding and intros.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-4-not-coming-to-netflix/

Picard & Lower Decks was a later deal with amazon.

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2021/12/22/five-star-trek-series-leaving-amazon-prime-in-january/

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Those links only say that this and that are being removed which I obviously already knew.

It doesn’t answer my questions about why not remove Picard too nor why not let Discovery Season 4 just get released as it will most likely be finished well before the launch of Paramount+.

• Advertisement
Advertisement