Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

While not strictly canon, Enterprise F was launched in 2409.

1000?cb=20120204120245

pixelburp ^^ Holy god that thing's ugly. Why are so many TNG era vessels so lumpy and messy? But then I thought the USS Reliant was a beautiful design, what do I know

I actually think it looks great. It's a natural evolution from the E.

The Reliant is a beautiful design.
    That's one of the prettier STO ships, there are some real shockers

latest?cb=20100422155408

That is ugly.
    funny thing is the game has full copyright too and the above is supposed to just be an evolution of steamrunner (which is in there too)

check out the ugly:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sto+fed+ships&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj92JK9y9_cAhXFVLwKHfeFDPwQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=938

/sidetrack

funny thing is the game has full copyright too and the above is supposed to just be an evolution of steamrunner (which is in there too)

The Steamrunner is a cool ship and not ugly. That thing is ugly but maybe if it was built as a warship then it might be understandable.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agree to disagree there, because all those STO designs look ... kinda thoughtless. No deference to style or aesthetics, just lumping 'Trek bits' together into misshapen craft that lack any character whatsoever. Just googled that 'steamrunner' class and urgh. :eek:

The flying bricks of The Expanse look more stylish than those designs, and half of them are still warships. You can still see thought and pragmatism in those vessels. Anyway, STO is not really canon apparently so we can happily ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Inviere

They’re all non canon though, the last Enterprise seen in canon was E being repaired in Nemesis. Anything after that, whether dreamt up by someone with some skill, or whether doodled by a neckbeard, isn’t canonand can be largely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just googled that 'steamrunner' class and urgh. :eek:

ahh come off it. Probably the best looking canon ship going

Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    They’re all non canon though, the last Enterprise seen in canon was E being repaired in Nemesis. Anything after that, whether dreamt up by someone with some skill, or whether doodled by a neckbeard, isn’t canonand can be largely ignored.

The steamrunner' class is canon.

It is in First Contact along with the Akira class, a Norway class and a Sabre class. They were designed to fight the Borg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzJSBHG4pI&t=53s

It appears around 3:14 along with the other ships too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    The steamrunner' class is canon.

I know, I was talking about the various Enterprise ships mentioned like F and G. After E, the only glimpse of an Enterprise we got was J, and it was but a glimpse. Nothing else is canon, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I know, I was talking about the various Enterprise ships mentioned like F and G. After E, the only glimpse of an Enterprise we got was J, and it was but a glimpse. Nothing else is canon, yet.

Even the J is no more canon than the triple-nacelle Ent-D abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The J is the stupidest looking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Goodshape wrote: »
    The J is the stupidest looking thing.

It's not as stupid looking as a Galaxy class with three nacelles.

It's not as stupid looking as a Galaxy class with three nacelles.

Ah, it's much worse imo. The three nacelles were a bit lazy and daft looking, but the the J just looks impossible. Like an intern took the D into some cheap 3D software and squished and stretched it and generally ****ed it up, then called it a day.

A mishmash of textures and shapes that doesn't work at all. IMO :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ahh come off it. Probably the best looking canon ship going

I'm not sure about 'best looking', comes off like a flying shovel to me, with the usual messy over-design that plagues post 'Generations' ships.

It's a shame more ships didn't take the aesthetic cues from the DS9 Defiant, instead of the constant aping of the saucer-deflector-nacelles randomisation that goes on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can forgive the triple nacelled Enterprise, if only because their phasers were super powerful. Whatever about photon/quantum torpedos and phase cannons, there's nothing more satisfying for me than seeing phasers used properly. Best part of Way of the Warrior was the barrage of phaser fire. Always used phaser boats in STO as well.

Also, the Akira is clearly the best looking Starfleet ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Best looking Enterprise was the TNG one ... D ?

Ms

I think they were trying to make it look more powerful.
    Kiith wrote: »
    I can forgive the triple nacelled Enterprise, if only because their phasers were super powerful. Whatever about photon/quantum torpedos and phase cannons, there's nothing more satisfying for me than seeing phasers used properly. Best part of Way of the Warrior was the barrage of phaser fire. Always used phaser boats in STO as well.

Also, the Akira is clearly the best looking Starfleet ship.

I agree the Akira is a great looking ship

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

AMKC wrote: »
    I agree the Akira is a great looking ship
    Yeah, the only bad angle it has the side view which is probably why you never see it that way.

J was shown in Enterprise, as a ship from the future. The Galaxy refit was shown in TNG as a possible future, with a side order of Q on the side. The J is definitely canon.

J was shown in Enterprise, as a ship from the future. The Galaxy refit was shown in TNG as a possible future, with a side order of Q on the side. The J is definitely canon.

J was from a future with the Sphere builders invading the universe.
    Enterprise closed off that front, so J is a possible (closed off) future

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some really cool theories with that ship.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Evade wrote: »
    It is big but they have communicators. If a retired Picard needed something he could call in a favour from Admiral Riker. If he's teaching at the Academy with O'Brien should they just ghost each other in the hallways?

"We're putting the band back together for a mission from God"

It’s admittedly been a while, was that timeline prevented then in Enterprise?

• Advertisement

It’s admittedly been a while, was that timeline prevented then in Enterprise?

AFAIR yeah it was

AFAIR yeah it was

I can’t find anything to suggest as such online. Best I can find is that Archer was brought aboard to show him that humans and Xindi would eventually work together to defeat a common foe, and save the galaxy. It was intended to convince Archer to abandon his suicide mission, and to instead seek peace with the Xindi...which is ultimately, what happened. I think she’s canon.

The only way to be sure is to watch the episode, and this debate isn’t that important :D

I can’t find anything to suggest as such online. Best I can find is that Archer was brought aboard to show him that humans and Xindi would eventually work together to defeat a common foe, and save the galaxy. It was intended to convince Archer to abandon his suicide mission, and to instead seek peace with the Xindi...which is ultimately, what happened. I think she’s canon.

The only way to be sure is to watch the episode, and this debate isn’t that important :D

Daniels said that Enterprise ended the temporal cold war, preventing the actual war.

I could be wrong in my take from that

In that future the Delphic Expanse was still there but it was turned back to normal space when the spheres were destroyed. So I don't think the J will exist in the 26th century or at least there's no guarantees it'll be remotely similar.

In that future the Delphic Expanse was still there but it was turned back to normal space when the spheres were destroyed. So I don't think the J will exist in the 26th century or at least there's no guarantees it'll be remotely similar.

I see, so in that timeline perhaps Archer had gone ahead with the suicide mission against the Xindi. I’m glad it’s not canon then, it was a bizarre looking thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I see, so in that timeline perhaps Archer had gone ahead with the suicide mission against the Xindi. I’m glad it’s not canon then, it was a bizarre looking thing

I think its still canon, and the future war will still happen. The spheres of the 22nd century were a desperate attempt by the sphere builders at victory.

All Eyes On Rafah

Sure it was all a Holodeck simulation anyway.

I don't think any future glimpses can be considered strictly canon which brings up uniforms. Do you think we'll get the solid colour top design seen in All Good Things and the Visitor's future segments or something new? I liked that style but all the designs since then, in actual time, have been much duller.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Sure it was all a Holodeck simulation anyway.
    That was just the last Episode wasn't it?

• Advertisement
    Ms

That was just the last Episode wasn't it?

You mean the Episode that was actually a TNG episode but had Enterprise in the title. I was so disappointed with that episode the fact it was not even a hour long and the way it was done. I remember all the hype and looking forward to it and then getting that. I was looking forward to to a proper 90 minute episode that would have gave them a good ending. The worst part was the fact that none of them had aged anyway at all and it was what 10 years later.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement