Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

silverharp wrote: »
    you make that sound like a bad thing :pac: , Star Trek has always had glamorous actresses except for discovery I guess and if they find a reason to time travel Jadzia Dax forward for some reason, i'd be ok with that

Shes pushing 52 but I still would

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Shes pushing 52 but I still would

DUDE... Orla Brady is pushing 60 and you still would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I love Data - who doesn't. Great to see him in episode 1 but I wonder if the Borg have been over done. Voyager did a huge amount

On a different note I'm saddened by fact that while trek can bring back 79 year old Stewart they can't even find a cameo for 88 year old shatner.
    In the movies or Discovery. He won't be around forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bobtheman wrote: »
    On a different note I'm saddened by fact that while trek can bring back 79 year old Stewart they can't even find a cameo for 88 year old shatner.

I've always thought of them as different generations than I never copped the age gap was less than 10 years.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I haven't really watched much Star trek before but I really enjoyed this.
    It looks fantastic as well.
    Surely they will
    introduce the other Treadaway brother as being alive at some point..hence why they maybe cast a twin?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Its also a shame it only one episode released at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kirk is dead 25 years (or 117 years) by the start of this series.

There'd be some serious shoehorning needed to get Shatner in. Holodeck + a lot of CGI de-aging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I love Data - who doesn't. Great to see him in episode 1 but I wonder if the Borg have been over done. Voyager did a huge amount

Doesn't bother me. I never watched a single episode of Voyager, so I'm happy if there's Borg stuff.

I don't know much about any wider stories but my suspicions are that
    the girl is a synthetic / Borg crossover and that's how she's connected to Picard
    . If I'm wrong, don't correct me - let me find out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paulramone66

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I've always thought of them as different generations than I never copped the age gap was less than 10 years.

Without Kirk there would have been no Picard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it's Borg as portrayed in small screen TNG I'm happy. It was with the introduction of the Queen that I really lost interest with them. Turned the drones into effectively zombie slaves rather than collective individuals motivated by common instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He has had his time. He was offered parts in the two last JJ films and said no.

Besides what more could you do with him. The Original series was mostly about him and he was in six films as well as a small part in Generations so seven films really. He was paid the best and done the best out of all the actors. He has done other shows since and has also put on weight.

Also as well as any show on him having to be a prequel of which I think we are all fed up with mostly I just don't think Star Trek:Kirk sounds as good as Star Trek:Picard but then it took us all I while to get our heads around that too. Star Trek:Picard as well is a least set in the future after all other events we know about in canon Trek.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

seamus wrote: »
    Kirk is dead 25 years (or 117 years) by the start of this series.

There'd be some serious shoehorning needed to get Shatner in. Holodeck + a lot of CGI de-aging.

Shoehorning into the uniform at least !? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭pah

Even a voice cameo from a captain's log on something he encountered previously and has now been encountered by Starfleet again would be awesome in any show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

pah wrote: »
    Even a voice cameo from a captain's log on something he encountered previously and has now been encountered by Starfleet again would be awesome in any show.

(Static)
    (Start of Log)
    Kirk: Captains Log....Star Date 2345.6: En route to Starbase 23 for a meeting with Starfleet Command regarding "My Future". We are also due to take on a new science officer, a Ltd. Commander Decker, who Command assure me "Is not at all Captain material and definatly not replacement for me...so don't even think that...."

Kirk: New science officer? Spock? Are you leaving us?

Spock: Yes Jim. I have decided that I am sick of you all and will travel to Vulcan to take on the Kol'linar. I must be true to who I am, as my sister Micheal had taught me.

Kirk: A sister? Spock!......You never mentioned you had a sister?!

Spock: Nor shall I ever again.

Kirk: Ok...here Bones take this log file to the archive computer room.

Bones: Dammit Jim! I'm a Doctor! Not a delivery boy!

Kirk: Just do it...

Bones: You know what Jim, Spock's right...I've had it too! Time for me to go back to Earth and wear bell-bottoms. Dammit Jim! I'm a Groove-Machine, not a career officer! Gimmie that log file.

Kirk: Wait! Bones! That's not the archive shoot, that's the vent out to space! BONES! Wai-
    (End of Log)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, there's a point where I find dragging ageing actors back to play their old parts vaguely miserable and depressing. Patrick Stewart has been the exception for me 'cos by & large he has aged very well, but if the actor has become particularly old or decrepit I don't like to see them paraded around in their old costumes or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

The James T. Kirk Archive with de-aged holograms as guides. Simple, but he'd probably want a larger role.

AMKC wrote: »
    He has had his time. He was offered parts in the two last JJ films and said no.

Besides what more could you do with him. The Original series was mostly about him and he was in six films as well as a small part in Generations so seven films really. He was paid the best and done the best out of all the actors. He has done other shows since and has also put on weight.

Also as well as any show on him having to be a prequel of which I think we are all fed up with mostly I just don't think Star Trek:Kirk sounds as good as Star Trek:Picard but then it took us all I while to get our heads around that too. Star Trek:Picard as well is a least set in the future after all other events we know about in canon Trek.

I'm pretty sure he was not offered a part in any recent movie. They could easily do a Holo deck thing
    Given most of shatners crew are dead now I think a full series was never on the cards.
    Stewart had established himself as a famous actor post TNG so the money men obviously thought him worth a punt but I think at 79 they are pushing it a bit. His age

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, there's a point where I find dragging ageing actors back to play their old parts vaguely miserable and depressing. Patrick Stewart has been the exception for me 'cos by & large he has aged very well, but if the actor has become particularly old or decrepit I don't like to see them paraded around in their old costumes or whatever...
    Stewart is 79 and I think at most two seasons is what the man should do. They should not rely on old timers.
    Shame DS9 not getting a go but I think Avery brooks appeared pretty high on the documentary the Captains. Might not be up to it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

pixelburp wrote: »

Looking at you, Harrison Ford...

• Advertisement
    Ms

I'm pretty sure he was not offered a part in any recent movie. They could easily do a Holo deck thing
    Given most of shatners crew are dead now I think a full series was never on the cards.
    Stewart had established himself as a famous actor post TNG so the money men obviously thought him worth a punt but I think at 79 they are pushing it a bit. His age

They don't need a full crew if its just about Kirk retired but then deciding to go on one last mission like Picard is. Its not going to happen not that I want it too but maybe 10 or 15 years ago it might have worked.

He was offered a part alright. They were going to have him do some sort of cameo on the screen but he wanted more. Think it was for ''Into Darkness'' .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The proposed cameo in the ST2009 was the perfect time for Kirk to reappear. It legit made me cry. The chances of one now are slim I'd say.

Stark wrote: »
    If it's Borg as portrayed in small screen TNG I'm happy. It was with the introduction of the Queen that I really lost interest with them. Turned the drones into effectively zombie slaves rather than collective individuals motivated by common instinct.

I would not have minded if she was the embodiment of the collective (like the voice used by the ships, originally, in communications)

Instead they made her an individual controlling the collective, rather than an avatar OF the collective

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just an FYI for those following... Picard Coundown 3 is out (final part of the prequel comic series)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Should tonight's new episode be ready around midnight then? :)

Ms

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just an FYI for those following... Picard Coundown 3 is out (final part of the prequel comic series)

Where can you buy these? Forbidden Planet used to stock Star Trek comics but they have gone way down since. Not much of interest to me in there these days.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Should tonight's new episode be ready around midnight then? :)

Its out already but I have not watched it yet. Prefer when its dark to watch it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Its out already but I have not watched it yet. Prefer when its dark to watch it.
    Not on Prime. I think it was 2330ish last week when it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I meant on Prime, sorry! :D

Thanks Evade! :)

If anyone's wondering why it takes a while for Prime to get it this might have a little to do with it.

501497.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Surely those translations where made months ago. It's not like produce all the translations in the 24 hours between the CSB airing and the Prime airing.

Advertisement