Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Stark wrote: »
    Surely those translations where made months ago. It's not like produce all the translations in the 24 hours between the CSB airing and the Prime airing.

They were. TV VOD episodes are ready way in advance and were already sitting on the CDN servers.

The delay is just to promote the CBS streaming service. It's just an artificial delay in the name of greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Surely those translations where made months ago. It's not like produce all the translations in the 24 hours between the CSB airing and the Prime airing.
    It depends how long before airing Amazon gets their hands on the finished episodes, CBS aren't doing any of that translating. Anime simuldubs are on a pretty tight schedule and they usually only have English to worry about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Evade wrote: »
    Not on Prime. I think it was 2330ish last week when it was available.

Is that Thursday nights?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is that Thursday nights?
    Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 science101

ororo.tv

cost like 6 a month, has ST picard on it now, quality is fine (tonne of other stuff too)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Evade wrote: »
    Yeah.

Ah ok I thought it was Fridays. Will watch tonight so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I meant on Prime, sorry! :D

Thanks Evade! :)

Thats ok.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Just watched TNG episode ''A Measure of a Man'' and its still brilliant. Some parts I remembered other parts that so. Guinen was very pivotel in that too. If she was not there it could have gone very different.
    I am glad she is going to be in Season two.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Episode 2: Not a perfect episode.... but.... pretty pretty.... pretty good
    The show really got a nice budget... it looks great...could have been released as a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is that Thursday nights?
    Late I'd say, definitely Friday.

• Advertisement

OK this show is being made to binge. I know that CBS are doing a weekly but it is being made for the future binge watcher.
    Episode ends are coming out of nowhere and really look like they are meant to immediately flow into the next episode.

Also, why is this a 44min/episode show? It's on streaming services yet still being made for TV format.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Also, why is this a 44min/episode show? It's on streaming services yet still being made for TV format.

Future syndication to TV networks, I'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

OK this show is being made to binge. I know that CBS are doing a weekly but it is being made for the future binge watcher.
    Episode ends are coming out of nowhere and really look like they are meant to immediately flow into the next episode.

Thought episode 2 ended very suddenly... out of nowhere it was... “next week on Picard”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Ok....I'm very into It now. Wasn't sure about it last week but I really like it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Thought episode 2 ended very suddenly... out of nowhere it was... “next week on Picard”

Give me more Picard!!!!!!!!

All Eyes On Rafah

Ms

Anyone here love to see a Stargazer series? I know I would not mind seeing it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Moar Prequels???

The "true holders" of Trek lore would go into internet meltdown

Moar Prequels???

The "true holders" of Trek lore would go into internet meltdown
    Every prequel, Star Trek or not, has problems of either being constrained by previously established events or just ignoring them. Doubly so if using characters whose fates are already known. It might work in small doses around a specific event but not as a whole series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anyone else find Orla Brady's acting a little distracting for a Romulan character?

I know they normally have American/British accents but something a bit jarring about the "fiery oirish temper" on a Romulan.

Also the goddamn soft T's. Makes me cringe every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone else find Orla Brady's acting a little distracting for a Romulan character?

I know they normally have American/British accents but something a bit jarring about the "fiery oirish temper" on a Romulan.

She was very begorrah in episode 2 alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nah, I love it.

All Eyes On Rafah

OK that is her natural accent, people never seem to complain about American and British accents on alien species.
    They have said that the character learned English in Ireland and lived there, well then she will have an Irish accent and mannerisms.

FFS the Americans and ROW will not have a clue what an Irish accent is like anyway. I mean even O'Brien was a muted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

They have said that the character learned English in Ireland and lived there, well then she will have an Irish accent and mannerisms.

If it's deliberate then that's different I guess. I assumed they would all learn English in the same Romulan school

https://www.joe.ie/amp/movies-tv/star-trek-picard-ireland-691289

Interesting take on it

Surely she should have a Romulan accent if not using a universal translator? They should have picked an accent and had all Romulans actually speaking English speak with that accent. And if you're learning a language you really should learn a neutral version of it first. Learn the rules, then learn when to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's the "neutral version" of English?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Did she say "cheeky feckers" in the episode? :)

Ms

I thought when she was acting with Picard at the chatee she acted better than when they were at the apartment as she seemed to to but as much effort into her acting there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What's the "neutral version" of English?
    I wrote "a" not "the." English has a few neutral versions but the way newsreaders speak is generally pretty neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

OK that is her natural accent, people never seem to complain about American and British accents on alien species.

They would if they were strongly regional though, if they used Boston mannerisms or Cockney. Orla Brady strayed out of neutral a bit in episode 2.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

redlettermedia had a nice run about how much Picard hated Data in the series

Advertisement