Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

Hopefully it’s the last time we see the ENH then.

Xertz wrote: »
    That Irish accent has basically destroyed the whole series for me. Feels more like a leprechaunish mockery than a character. All he was short of saying was something about “me lucky charms”.

I’m wondering how much of this is going to be just nostalgia for Picard it actually being watchable. It’s feels so dragged out so far.

Yet the romulan siblings accents is ok?

Of course it is, it’s a natural accent as she’s an Irish actress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I figured they where married are they brother and sister ? The two with Picard.

I figured they where married are they brother and sister ? The two with Picard.

I’d assume married after she called him a stubborn northerner like the soldier they had tied up.

• Advertisement

I liked that comment actually , because in my mind she was pointing out that the northern romulans , including the 2009 film ones look different because they are from a different region.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guys, FFS this is the "no spoilers" thread?? Would you ever take it to the episode thread

pixelburp wrote: »
    Guys, FFS this is the "no spoilers" thread?? Would you ever take it to the episode thread

Apologies, completely in the wrong thread.

Deleted the comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I've no issue with that one. It's a real Irish accent and she's not making it into some kind of joke.

While Star Trek has had some excellent Irish characters e.g. Miles O'Brien and even Data's Irish mammy, geologist Juliana O'Donnell, played by Fionnula Flanagan, it still goes off on these bonkers di-de-li O'Irish tropes like Fair Haven on Voyager which was utterly cringe inducing unless you're watching while eating a box of Lucky Charms with your Green Beer somewhere in the US Midwest.

A US audience won't really notice that they're suddenly gone into the Irish version of Groundskeeper Willie school of bad voice coaching.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Speaking of spoilers...

The Picard soundtrack has been released, and the track titles spoil some moderately specific plot points from future episodes, so don't be tempted by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just had a thought that it might be fun to see Colm Meaney have a cameo in this show...

.. and to hear his opinion
    on the Irish accents
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Also Data wasn't the only working android of that level of sophistication. His mother was actually even more sophisticated and has more in common with these 'synths' in the sense she's undetectable as an android.

Bring back Juliana O'Donnell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I liked that comment actually , because in my mind she was pointing out that the northern romulans , including the 2009 film ones look different because they are from a different region.

A no spoiler thread and your entire post is a spoiler.

"shakes head"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Been late to watching it as I wanted a bit of peace uninterrupted to watch it. I am hooked, haven't been as excited for a series in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Calhoun wrote: »
    Been late to watching it as I wanted a bit of peace uninterrupted to watch it. I am hooked, haven't been as excited for a series in a long time.

Me too, surprised a little how good it is.

A no spoiler thread and your entire post is a spoiler.

"shakes head"

Yeh I know , I’d accidentally posted it replying to another comment not realising what thread I was I. . A few of us lost the run of ourselves that day. So I spoiler tagged the whole post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8INVWNAnlx/?igshid=bolzppj8kxpm

What Data would look like if they hadn't applied the CGI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Yeh I know , I’d accidentally posted it replying to another comment not realising what thread I was I. . A few of us lost the run of ourselves that day. So I spoiler tagged the whole post.

No spoiler in the post anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It turns out the actress that plays Admiral Clancy has a colourful past work record.

She was the lead singer in a psychedelic rock band called Bongwater, and later sang in a satirical metal band call, appropriately enough, Vulcan Death Grip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Magnuson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In the first episode the Irish accents reminded me strangely of those Kerrygold ads with French people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The setting too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I’m not liking frail Picard... I’m hoping at some point he loads up on some space steroids or maybe some Romulan speed
    Patrick Stewart is 79 years of age, let him be frail. I'm really glad they are not trying to make an action hero out of him. It was bad enough in the Next Gen movies. it's one aspect of the show I actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Patrick Stewart is 79 years of age, let him be frail. I'm really glad they are not trying to make an action hero out of him. It was bad enough in the Next Gen movies. it's one aspect of the show I actually like.

Stallone is 82 and he just made a new Rambo !!!
    We need to see Picard throwing some double fist punches !!!

Stallone is 82 and he just made a new Rambo !!!
    We need to see Picard throwing some double fist punches !!!

He's a comparitively spritely 73.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At least the show treats Picard as the age he is; and Stewart himself is ageing gracefully. Stallone is a roided up, botoxed mess clearly fighting the tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

pixelburp wrote: »
    At least the show treats Picard as the age he is; and Stewart himself is ageing gracefully. Stallone is a roided up, botoxed mess clearly fighting the tides.

Stallone will our live us all... got the best steroids/wigs in Hollywood.... if they can reclaim a Borg cube then Jean-Luc can reclaim his hair !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Stallone will our live us all... got the best steroids/wigs in Hollywood.... if they can reclaim a Borg cube then Jean-Luc can reclaim his hair !!!

Wasn't he voted sexiest man or somewhere on that list? They obviously liked the bald

One of the many egregious balls ups of Nemesis was that awful college photo of Picard, bald in his 20s, just in case the audience was too stupid to twig it was Jean Luc. IIRC too, some dialogue passed it off as a dare, but that he liked it so much he kept it? Or am I mis-remembering?

As to Stallone, I'd say his heart might be struggling to keep pace with that regimen. Can't be good for it, all those steroids and weights. Arnie's ageing better I thought, he looked well in Dark Fate. Definitely a touch less neurotic in his appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

Started watching this last night, had no idea it was available over here yet. It was by fluke that I saw a trailer on youtube and decided to see when it would be released.......I watched the first episode and the start of episode two. Straight away it just felt right. I tried to get into Star trek discovery but it didnt feel like "Trek" if that makes any sense. But I was hooked into this from the get go.
    Looking forward to seeing where its all going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

if they can reclaim a Borg cube then Jean-Luc can reclaim his hair !!!

He sure can!

112201818023431489.jpg

:D

Advertisement