Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Didn't they have TnG episodes with him and hair?

I need to rewatch nemesis i don't remember that scene at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Calhoun wrote: »
    It was in Violations and was a dream/flashback of Picard telling Beverly that Jack was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

Calhoun wrote: »

I need to rewatch nemesis i don't remember that scene at all.

There was a flashback where Dr. Crusher was remembering going to identify Jack Crusher's body. Picard came along as support, and was done up in this makeup.

Cadet Picard also had hair when Q sent him back in time to fight a Nassican.

Apparently Steward also had to wear a wig in his early screenings of TNG because Roddenberry wanted the new captain to be a "New Kirk", and Kirk couldn't be bald apparently....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Just an FYI, but the new Picard novel gives some really good back story as to what happened during the Romulan crisis. Presumably the most important plot & character points will eventually come up during the series, but it oulines where the irritating JL came from (no less satisfying, but anyway), what was going on with the synths, why the federation may have retreated into themselves etc. Worth a read in my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think the show has been fairly poor all round but I'll stick with it for now. Just wondering will
    this ship Captain turn out to be an ECH opening the way for JL to take charge of the ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Yea, very slow first 3 EPs. Nothing happening.

FFVII wrote: »
    Yea, very slow first 3 EPs. Nothing happening.

If it wasn’t ST I’d have left it so after last week. But I don’t watch much and it is ST so I’ll live in hope.

It’s mad how much leeway it’s getting compared to the zero Discovery got. Almost any episode of Discovery was infinitely better than this has been so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

If it wasn’t ST I’d have left it so after last week. But I don’t watch much and it is ST so I’ll live in hope.

It’s mad how much leeway it’s getting compared to the zero Discovery got. Almost any episode of Discovery was infinitely better than this has been so far.

I think some of that might be due to the novelty of actually moving forward in time in Star Trek instead of re-threading the TOS era yet again.

It's a shock and a novelty to actually be moving forward in time again for the first in over a decade. This is a massive bonus for me...but there is a voice in the back of my head reminding me that Picard could still turn out to be bad overall, despite my hopes that it will be good.

I welcomed Discovery initially. The idea that it would feature the Klingon War excited me...but since they went the same direction of ENT, and the JJ films, my own patience for yet another prequel was thin. Thus Discovery's failings were little more glaring to me than if it were another Trek show in the TNG era.

That said, Voyager was a TNG era show and it routinely pisses me off. There are some really good episodes, there are also plenty of horribly done stories that were sometimes just the re-heated leftovers of TNG episodes. Both Discovery and Voyager pissed away what potential they had as Trek shows, and that annoys me more than smaller cannon /design issues.

Picard still has loads of potential, which I hope it will live up to...but there is as much chance of them somehow screwing it up....and then alas it'll be the new Voyager in my head. Even Seven of Nine is in there somehow.....I hope that's not an omen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Rawr wrote: »
    He sure can!

112201818023431489.jpg

:D

If Jean-Luc still had that beautiful head of hair, he would still be an admiral and potentially running start fleet. He lost his job/ they wouldn't listen to him because he is follicle challenged. The whole Picard show is basically about how even in the 24 century bald people are still discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think some of that might be due to the novelty of actually moving forward in time in Star Trek instead of re-threading the TOS era yet again.

It's a shock and a novelty to actually be moving forward in time again for the first in over a decade. This is a massive bonus for me...but there is a voice in the back of my head reminding me that Picard could still turn out to be bad overall, despite my hopes that it will be good.

I welcomed Discovery initially. The idea that it would feature the Klingon War excited me...but since they went the same direction of ENT, and the JJ films, my own patience for yet another prequel was thin. Thus Discovery's failings were little more glaring to me than if it were another Trek show in the TNG era.

That said, Voyager was a TNG era show and it routinely pisses me off. There are some really good episodes, there are also plenty of horribly done stories that were sometimes just the re-heated leftovers of TNG episodes. Both Discovery and Voyager pissed away what potential they had as Trek shows, and that annoys me more than smaller cannon /design issues.

Picard still has loads of potential, which I hope it will live up to...but there is as much chance of them somehow screwing it up....and then alas it'll be the new Voyager in my head. Even Seven of Nine is in there somehow.....I hope that's not an omen :(
    It slow moving but im happy enough with it. Stewart/picard will always get an easier ride because of nostalgia. Plus there is more of an ST feel to this show than Discovery. Adressing values etc It is also good to be moving the timeline forward but I was disappointed that they didnt use the books idea of him beeing married to Beverly and having a son. They were obviously non canonical but would be nice to see the old man get reguarly laid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭pah

Bobtheman wrote: »
    would be nice to see the old man get reguarly laid!

Said nobody, ever [except said old man I suppose]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

To be honest, I kinda like Picard as he is. We don't know much about his love life and it doesn't really matter. All we know is he likes archaeology and isn't much of a wine maker but we don't really get into his personal life in a big way and there's nothing wrong with that. It's sort of part of the mystique of the character.

Maybe he just wasn't the marrying type or didn't get around to it, what with the battles with the Borg and all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

Very, very, surprised that people are complaining about the pacing on this. I think they have it pitch perfect. A patient, thoughtful start which will set the scene for the rip roaring adventure in store for us. If they'd gotten him hurtling through space at light speed on the first episode it would have ridiculous. The dude is old, and he is barely able for combat sports, a single kick to the chest would break his ribs, he has also gone a bit doddery, that is all part of the charm. Things will pick up. Really enjoying this so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It's not a lack of action that's hurting the show it's a lack of progression. We're nearly halfway through the season and even though there's been plenty of plot there's very little actual advancement in the overall story. Too much of the series so far has been taken up with flashbacks of scenes that could have been dealt with in two or three lines of dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Patrick Stewart looks and sounds about twenty years younger in the new Charlie’s Angels #UnleashJeanLuc

A friend leant me a tape of VOY. To tell you how along this was it was a VHS tape of two voyager episodes. One was an excellent episode involving time travel. The second ep: The Adventures of Flotter. A hologram program runs amok. Woeful stuff.

Every time voyager took a step forward, it seemed to take two steps back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FatBallerina

I've just binge watched Picard and thoroughly enjoyed it. Slow moving at first, took me 2 episodes to really get into it. Happy to see The Borg being so involved, they were my favourite villains. Seven was my favourite character on Voyager and I quite like this bad ass version of her. Good to see oldies making a comeback.

The pace has definitely become more watchable.

Not crazy about Patrick Stewart in this. He doesn't hold the same booming presence he once had. He's getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've caught up now, with the exception of the episode 6 out today...but I must say I'm really enjoying it. It's so much more cohesive and focused than Discovery, and this is really holding my interest.

Not crazy about Patrick Stewart in this. He doesn't hold the same booming presence he once had. He's getting on.

I could say the same about my dad who is 3 years older than Stewart.

No doubt someone will say the same about me in 50 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Inviere

I could say the same about my dad who is 3 years older than Stewart.

No doubt someone will say the same about me in 50 years time.

Exactly, he is different, he should be different, I'd expect him to be different. The important thing is he's different in a way that's natural...not a jarring or forced difference. He's Jean Luc Picard, he's older, vulnerable, and not as able as he once was...but he's still Jean Luc, and for all it's worth, that's all I care about.

Inviere wrote: »
    Exactly, he is different, he should be different, I'd expect him to be different. The important thing is he's different in a way that's natural...not a jarring or forced difference. He's Jean Luc Picard, he's older, vulnerable, and not as able as he once was...but he's still Jean Luc, and for all it's worth, that's all I care about.

It feels very forced and unnatural to me. There hasn't been a proper explanation IMO as to why he is so different to the last time we had him on screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I don't like the way he's called JL by Raffi.....seems like the sort of thing he wouldn't allow back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

pah wrote: »
    There hasn't been a proper explanation IMO as to why he is so different to the last time we had him on screen

Eh.... they spent the first few episodes doing just that. 20 years is a long time and people change. The galaxy is vastly different to what we saw last time in Nemesis.

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Eh.... they spent the first few episodes doing just that. 20 years is a long time and people change. The galaxy is vastly different to what we saw last time in Nemesis.

Eh... No. Picard had certain character traits and values that defined him and he is now a shadow of that person. We have been shown events that happened to Picard and we are simply told he is now different because of these events.

This doesn't make sense because his sense of honour, duty and commitment to truth would not allow him to slink away to his vineyard and just give up.

If you decide to take a character to a radically different place then you have a duty to try and explore the how and why instead of "just because"

I think what's annoying me is not that Picard's aged, but rather he's not the rock of sense and stability that he always represented. He seems somehow quite indecisive and weak. The TNG Picard was an incredibly wise character and a very deep thinker who held huge weight on screen.

There was a certain confidence expressed by Picard and Janeway which which had moral fibre. That seems to be weakened.

I really didn't like Captain Archer on the Enterprise series for the same reason. He was a wishy-washy character who lacked that intellect, wisdom and reflective thinking. Kirk had it in spades.

Fundamentally, I think "the Captain" shouldn't really be someone full of flaws and self doubt. That's really not what the role is about and I'm not sure that we want to or need to see a weak and vulnerable character in that role and it's nothing to do with age. I think he could pull off a far more true to Picard role if it were better written.

I'm also really not liking this dystopian version of the Federation. To me, a lot of what was good about that whole concept was that the Federation had ideals, values, stood for something and was quite a contrast to the chaos that we experience in day-to-day politics in 20th/21st century reality. It was very ambitious future where humanity had basically made it. Now they've added in a load of gritty references to present day politics, references to money and so on. All that's somewhat beneath the TNG universe in my view.

It's watchable, but it's feeling a lot less like TNG and more like something about the meltdown of what had been a truly phenomenal society that had really become very rights based, thoughtful, reflective and deeply moralistic in a very intelligent way and I guess that is just the writers reflecting present day swings to the populist far right and so on in contemporary politics in the US, which is where they're getting their cultural point of view. The old 1980s/90s TNG was far more escapist and set out a very ambitious future.

The other aspect that's annoying me is that, like Discovery, they've really upped the gore and violence. I know that's probably due to the freedoms of a streaming service, as opposed to US network television, but it's made it just another gory sci-fi show and that's also somewhat devalued it in my view anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Xertz wrote: »
    I think what's annoying me is not that Picard's aged, but rather he's not the rock of sense and stability that he always represented. He seems somehow quite indecisive and weak. The TNG Picard was an incredibly wise character and a very deep thinker who held huge weight on screen..

Although the shows creators say this is "Prime" timeline, I have a feeling that they aren't familiar with it and their knowledge of Trek seems to be more so from the Kelvin Timeline...

And this is Lieutenant Picard as seen in the TNG Episode "Tapestry"

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tapestry_(episode)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Although the shows creators say this is "Prime" timeline, I have a feeling that they aren't familiar with it and their knowledge of Trek seems to be more so from the Kelvin Timeline...

And this is Lieutenant Picard as seen in the TNG Episode "Tapestry"

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tapestry_(episode)
    There's definitely some people working on it that have a decent knowledge of Star Trek but I'd say they get overruled by the more important people that know less.

Advertisement