Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

UBI is a fairly right-wing idea and a far cry from Picard's description of a society with no money, hunger, want, etc. They have obviously just abandoned the idea of the Federation being a post-scarcity society. In fairness, despite paying lip service to the idea, the TNG/DS9 writers could never get their heads around it anyway. It was all bit too communist sounding to them and in the end of history/TINA era they struggled to even imagine it. Star Trek Picard depicts the 24th century as being much like the present - same clothes, same slang, same social issues, etc - but everyone has holographic computers. The utopianism is gone. And what's worse the show doesn't even acknowledge that it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

UBI isn't necessarily right-wing at all. There's a socially conservative take on it – which usually includes the idea of paying for it all by eliminating existing social programs which would have been used primarily by people with lower income – but that's not the only way to do "UBI". Although maybe that's a discussion for another forum! :-D

Anyway I'm not sure they have shown that "utopianism is gone". Don't think they've either confirmed or denied. We've hardly seen the Federation or Starfleet. A couple of unhappy people (Rafi and the captain guy) isn't proof of anything. Nor is coruption in Starfleet or the existance of a comerical planet, or even people having a job or getting paid for things.

Picard owning an expansive vineyard is difficult to square, but we don't know the setup there. And it didn't make any more sense in the 1990s TV show either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I wouldn't have squared UBI as right wing, surely if implemented correctly and fairly (which we may assume in the example of the Fed), it's the ultimate in left wing ideology - in that the "state" takes care of all your comforts and needs. Cant say I've thought too much about or too hard about it, beyond this thread :D

Have the books or spin off media ever tried to square the circle of the (intentionally?) ambiguous mechanics of Fed Earth's society? Seems ironic that for a franchise famed for granular, pedantic fandom, arguably what's the core geographic location in its universe remains sketchy at best. Feels like we know more about Romulan or Cardassian society than Earth's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Which is out of character in itself, especially for something he was so adamant about and dedicated to.

The Picard of old would have rounded up the old gang and gone rogue if needed (eg: First Contact when he ignores Command and brings the Enterprise into the battle with the Cube, or Insurrection where he violates orders again to defend the Ba'ku).

He wouldn't have thrown away his influence and career in a failed attempt to call Command's bluff, and he definitely wouldn't have given up and gone home to wallow while millions died and his loyal second (Raffi) took the fall as well.
    Stark wrote: »
    Wasn't a matter of just "going against orders". How do you migrate billions of people without the help of the Federation/Starfleet?

The shipyards on Mars were involved in a massive shipbuilding program to make the migration feasible. With the shipyards destroyed, they didn't have enough remaining ships to continue the mission and keep the Federation running at the same time.

We've been having this argument in my house since the show started. I think Picard would've thrown everything he had at the rescue attempt, saved as many as he could which whatever ships he could scramble together, Starfleet don't have a monopoly on spaceships. He had tons of diplomatic connections with other races, he could've called in favours all over the galaxy. There's no way he would've just popped off to his vineyard with his favourite 2 Romulans and just left the rest to die. My husband disagrees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's entirely possible that just to get the armada put together, all those favours and connections Picard likely had were already called on; can't have been easy just getting the cooperation & coordination needed in the first place without compromises, so when the Martian attack happened & the key pillar in the whole enterprise stepped away, said favours probably collapsed too.

Given the major powers of the Quadrant were still nursing wounds after the Dominion War, which itself would have involved favours and use of political capital, I've never assumed there were enough starships to begin with. Many warships would have stayed on the frontline, if only to make sure the Founders didn't renege on the treaty, or some other power made a play for the Alpha Quadrant. Not like after WW2 all the soldiers went home; many of them stayed on the front-lines of the Cold War borders, not least Berlin famously. The economic war footing was ramped down too, shipyards and factories scaled back 'cos of a demand no longer there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Mars was attacked a decade after the Dominion War ended most of those wounds should be scarred over if not outright healed.

Evade wrote: »
    Mars was attacked a decade after the Dominion War ended most of those wounds should be scarred over if not outright healed.

Don't agree, 10 years is nothing on a galactic scale, no reason to think anyone was willing or capable to divert forces along the likely still fragile borders between everyone, for the sake of an admittedly seismic event. Crews, populations, economies would still be reeling from that War, along with any other local issues that hadn't changed like the Maquis, Borg, local ethnic conflicts or whatever.

In Britain, rationing didn't formerly end until 1954, nearly 10 years after ww2 ended (IIRC, in fact it came back briefly during the Suez Crisis). And the Soviets might have been the West's allies during that war, but once the common enemy disappeared, existing enmities returned, guns aimed at each other again. The Berlin AirLift happened 3 years after the war ended.

In a less warlike situation, it took Ireland 10 years for the economy to recover from the 2008 crash - and some would debate if we've even achieved it at all. Wars collapse economies of those on the frontline, no way the Quadrant was in a fit state to handle a refugee crisis.

I don't think any of those economic examples can really be analogous in a universe with replicators.

What borders are left to seriously guard? Klingons are allies again, Cardassia were only really a threat with the Dominion, same goes for the Breen, and the last time we saw the Romulan Empire Picard's conversation with Donatra hinted there was a willingness for peace plus they're the ones in need of aid. Maybe, maybe, the Tholians but they mostly keep to themselves, or the Sheliac, but they have 70 years of bureaucratic red tape before they can even table a proposal to consider the option of issuing a declaration of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

or the Sheliac, but they have 70 years of bureaucratic red tape before they can even table a proposal to consider the option of issuing a declaration of war.

(Begins process of applying for a form to submit a proposal to +1 this comment, in accordance with Section 233, Paragraph 5 of the Boardsie Acknowledgement (Amendment) Treaty)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am hoping the first season of Picard ends up with Picard and his motley crew in a proper ship like say a Miranda, Nova, Nebula or hell even an Oberth class ship. Actually I have always liked the Oberth class ships even if they are small.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    I am hoping the first season of Picard ends up with Picard and his motley crew in a proper ship like say a Miranda, Nova, Nebula or hell even an Oberth class ship. Actually I have always liked the Oberth class ships even if they are small.

I don't like the design, but it makes narrative sense for a 2, 3 or 4 man craft to effectively be a glorified shuttle craft. I like the interior TBH if not the exterior. Feels like a suped up shuttle. Not like there weren't plenty of Trek episodes centred around the shuttles as primary mode of transport. A proper "class" of ship would need more extras, more sets, etc when it's not really that kind of show. As much as it'd be nice to see a Fed ship zipping about, the ...whatever the name of it is, suits the purpose.

Ms

Stark wrote: »
    Wasn't a matter of just "going against orders". How do you migrate billions of people without the help of the Federation/Starfleet?

The shipyards on Mars were involved in a massive shipbuilding program to make the migration feasible. With the shipyards destroyed, they didn't have enough remaining ships to continue the mission and keep the Federation running at the same time.

Surly it was silly of them to try to build all the ships at the one shipyard anyway. I certainly think it was. They should have had 2 or 3 even 4 shipyards building them. Then the likelihood of them all getting destroyed would have been less.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Surly it was silly of them to try to build all the ships at the one shipyard anyway. I certainly think it was. They should have had 2 or 3 even 4 shipyards building them. Then the likelihood of them all getting destroyed would have been less.

You have to remember that this was Mars in the heart of the Federation (Sol). Also with the end of the Dominion war they wouldn't have expected a threat, certainly not from within or on that scale.

Personally I always thought that the Breen attack on Earth during the latter stages of the war was strange. No cloaking devices but even allowing for the weapon they had, they've presumably managed to cut through multiple layers of significantly increased defences and systems with sufficient strength remaining to attack Earth, and yet they didn't irradiate the planet before they were chased off?

Hmmm..

You have to remember that this was Mars in the heart of the Federation (Sol). Also with the end of the Dominion war they wouldn't have expected a threat, certainly not from within or on that scale.

Personally I always thought that the Breen attack on Earth during the latter stages of the war was strange. No cloaking devices but even allowing for the weapon they had, they've presumably managed to cut through multiple layers of significantly increased defences and systems with sufficient strength remaining to attack Earth, and yet they didn't irradiate the planet before they were chased off?

Hmmm..
    It was a Doolittle raid. The point wasn't to do any real damage it was to show they could strike anywhere. We'd already seen that Starfleet was reluctant to pull forces away from Earth during the war (the plan to retake DS9) and after the Breen attack I wonder how many ships were pulled back from the front line to guard against another Breen raid.

Ms

Hmmm..

It was probably a suicide run by the Breen. They probably dropped out of Warp just above Earth and started firing before they got destroyed or were chased out.

Good point. Still if the starfleet intelligence agencies were doing there job it should not have happened. What were section 31 doing? I just thought how the Synth was hacked and then able to hack all the Mars systems seemed to show a lack of security on Starfleets part.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It was probably a suicide run by the Breen. They probably dropped out of Warp just above Earth and started firing before they got destroyed or were chased out.

Good point. Still if the starfleet intelligence agencies were doing there job it should not have happened. What were section 31 doing? I just thought how the Synth was hacked and then able to hack all the Mars systems seemed to show a lack of security on Starfleets part.

Never know, Section31 could be in on it.

All Eyes On Rafah

Ms

So Robert Picardo might be back to reprises his role as the Doctor in the second season of Star Trek Picard.

Not sure how true that is. I just seen it on FB.

What would you think of this?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would love to see him back. Himself and seven of nine were the best characters on Voyager. Could easily be worked into the AI storyline as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Depends on how far along his personality is at this point. Can honestly see the earlyEMH getting a rise out of Picard over something small... but it was shown that he progresses a lot into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So Robert Picardo might be back to reprises his role as the Doctor in the second season of Star Trek Picard.

Not sure how true that is. I just seen it on FB.

What would you think of this?

I want Miles O'Brien back!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I actually don't want any more of the previous characters or cast back unless it's as a regular member of the show.

Having these cameos is just frustrating as to what could have been, but then they're killing off half of them for no reason anyway (
    Icheb, Hugh
    ).

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Having these cameos is just frustrating as to what could have been, but then they're killing off half of them for no reason anyway (Icheb, Hugh).

Yeah the Picard series has become a revolving door for bringing back TNG characters then killing them off for "shock" value. If they're not going to do anything substantial with the old characters don't bring them back.

Guys.

"Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** NO SPOILERS **]"

Maybe we should just kill this thread 'cos this keeps happening.

Ms

Colm Meaney was on ''The Tommy Tiernan Show'' just saying in case you did not see my tread about it lol.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Guys.

"Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** NO SPOILERS **]"

Maybe we should just kill this thread 'cos this keeps happening.

No I don't think we should. People just need to not put any spoilers in there post.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I enjoyed seeing Riker and Troi again. It was pure nostalgia. Didnt really advance the plot much but it warmed my heart.
    Though I'm partly inclined to think Stewart is just too damn old for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I enjoyed seeing Riker and Troi again. It was pure nostalgia. Didnt really advance the plot much but it warmed my heart.

The bolded bit has been the problem with the whole show for me.

Ms

I don't think there is any chance of that happening unfortunately as he has let himself go and forgotten most of what he said and done on Star Trek. I suppose do if you not doing it you are going to forget it or just not be good at it anymore. He did however say the writing and stories were always very good. The one episode he did remember ''Past Tense'' is obviously his favorite or close to it s it was the one in brought up in his conversation with Tommy Tiernan.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

GreeBo wrote: »
    Bobtheman wrote: »

The bolded bit has been the problem with the whole show for me.

It reminded me of "Family". I don't know if that episode advanced the arc of season 4 (such as it was), but maybe not every episode needs to do that, even in the age of serialised shows and binge-watching?

Maybe if it warmed our hearts, that's worthwhile too.

I think one major problem ST:Picard has is it's a three hour story spread across eight hours. It reminds me of the CW DC Universe stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I think one major problem ST:Picard has is it's a three hour story spread across eight hours. It reminds me of the CW DC Universe stuff.

I find the pace perfectly fine- it allows for a lot of character moments. If you don't like the characters, which I think we've established you do not, then I guess that won't be a pro.

Plenty of the harsher critics of the show think it's too fast-paced, so it seems like the writers really can't win on that point.

Advertisement