Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Plenty of the harsher critics of the show think it's too fast-paced, so it seems like the writers really can't win on that point.
    Could you post a few links? I'd love to know the arguments for it being fast paced.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Though I'm partly inclined to think Stewart is just too damn old for this.

As much as I'm enjoying this show I can't shake that feeling either. Given Stewart's age it really limits what the writers can do with his character. I think they missed the window for this show maybe 10 years ago. I also think the idea that people could criticise they show for being *too* fast paced ridiculous. Just because there's a lot happening in each episode doesn't mean the actual story has made any progress. We've only got a few episodes left in the season and the story has barely progressed from the pilot episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Evade wrote: »
    Could you post a few links? I'd love to know the arguments for it being fast paced.

You can dismiss my claim as baseless, if you like. Burden of evidence or no, I don't have time to go hunting for citations.

You can dismiss my claim as baseless, if you like. Burden of evidence or no, I don't have time to go hunting for citations.
    I actually wanted to know what the arguments for it being too fast paced are and didn't think that a link was too much to ask for since there are many examples you've read/watched. Also, I didn't think your claim was baseless but I kind of do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Greyjoy wrote: »
    As much as I'm enjoying this show I can't shake that feeling either. Given Stewart's age it really limits what the writers can do with his character. I think they missed the window for this show maybe 10 years ago. I also think the idea that people could criticise they show for being *too* fast paced ridiculous. Just because there's a lot happening in each episode doesn't mean the actual story has made any progress. We've only got a few episodes left in the season and the story has barely progressed from the pilot episode.

They could assimilate him again. Awake the Borg ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Evade wrote: »
    I actually wanted to know what the arguments for it being too fast paced are and didn't think that a link was too much to ask for since there are many examples you've read/watched. Also, I didn't think your claim was baseless but I kind of do now.

That's ok, I don't mind you thinking that. I'm not trying to be dismissive of you either. Honestly, it's more about me not letting myself get dragged into, for example what "plenty" means, what sources are valid and invalid and all of that. It never stops at a link or two, is my point.

Which is fine, sometimes. But I'm a compulsive internet arguer and genuinely don't have the time to indulge that impulse at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I find the pace perfectly fine- it allows for a lot of character moments. If you don't like the characters, which I think we've established you do not, then I guess that won't be a pro.

Plenty of the harsher critics of the show think it's too fast-paced, so it seems like the writers really can't win on that point.
    I get the disparity of opinion, it's paced very unevenly in my opinion. Like all modern Trek it's edited very quickly and can give the impression you've missed important plot details (wait, who was flying that old school Romulan Bird of Prey and where did Seven come from?) But then more often then not these details don't matter and then the plot will come to a complete standstill for more overwrought melodrama (Raffi's backstory for example...) I understand if you like the characters you might get more from these moments but it's all very shallow and inconsequential in my opinion.

But overall the plot has barely progressed at all with a lot still seemingly to wrap up in just a couple of episodes, even allowing for a season 2. Nothing I've seen so far would fill me with optimism for how they will achieve this.

AMKC wrote: »
    I don't think there is any chance of that happening unfortunately as he has let himself go and forgotten most of what he said and done on Star Trek. I suppose do if you not doing it you are going to forget it or just not be good at it anymore. He did however say the writing and stories were always very good. The one episode he did remember ''Past Tense'' is obviously his favorite or close to it s it was the one in brought up in his conversation with Tommy Tiernan.

Let himself go? Did you see Frakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

I thought Colm Meaney looked quite well

overwrought melodrama

It's abysmal. I can't think off hand what other Trek episodes had this sh ite bit I'm sure they're are a few here and there. My all time favourite episode SubRosa maybe :rolleyes:

The problem is you can forgive an episode here and there but in a serialised story across 10 short episodes it's just unnecessary and mostly inconsequential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Let himself go? Did you see Frakes?

I mean he has put on weight just like William Shatner has. Also did you see Colm Meaney's latest add. Its terrible. Don't get me wrong I would love to see him back in Star Trek as Myles O' Brian again. I think he is a good actor and should really have done better after DS9.
    If your on about Frakes in ''Picard'' I would say the was the look thy wanted him to have and thought he looked good.
    No idea what he looks like away from the camera now do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Frakes has always been a big guy, I thought he looked well considering he's settled down outside of Star fleet. He looked worse in Enterprise where he was squeezed back in to uniform for the holodeck episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nice interview with Jonathan Del Arco https://www.queerty.com/star-treks-jonathan-del-arco-fate-hugh-borg-life-actor-showbiz-peril-20200312

Some of the more interesting bits: Looked like if Patrick Stewart had said no, they would have gone with Seven of Nine as the lead character. (which would have been awesome, here's hoping that might still happen after season 2).

Apparently gay guys had a crush on Hugh? :confused: No accounting for taste though I do remember having a weird attraction to Gul Dukat on Deep Space Nine so can't really comment :)

As an aside, he looks fantastic at 54 when he's out of the Borg make-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Stark wrote: »
    No accounting for taste though I do remember having a weird attraction to Gul Dukat on Deep Space Nine so can't really comment :)

:-S He was very skinny but youve reminded ne i had a big thing for Vedek Bareil.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Greyjoy wrote: »

I think they could have gotten away with the age difficulties if the story had Stewart playing in service Admiral Picard as opposed to rebel on a great big adventure Picard.

Had it been a small federation crew on a small fed ship like a nova class as opposed to this outlaw shuttle it would have mitigated the age disparity. Stewart as old style Picard wouldnt require as much suspension of belief as Captain Picard in TNG days was on the bridge, in the ready room or in his quarters 90% of the time.

The other 10% in cardassian custody or being a borg of course.

Plus it would have allowed for old school serious in charge Picard from TNG

But all that said I'm still enjoying this show !

Note: out of character movie Picard not included in this appraisal.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Nice interview with Jonathan Del Arco https://www.queerty.com/star-treks-jonathan-del-arco-fate-hugh-borg-life-actor-showbiz-peril-20200312

Some of the more interesting bits: Looked like if Patrick Stewart had said no, they would have gone with Seven of Nine as the lead character. (which would have been awesome, here's hoping that might still happen after season 2).

Apparently gay guys had a crush on Hugh? :confused: No accounting for taste though I do remember having a weird attraction to Gul Dukat on Deep Space Nine so can't really comment :)

As an aside, he looks fantastic at 54 when he's out of the Borg make-up.
    In I, Borg, although the script and the other actors gave us a story of a borg being humanised by friendship, Del Arco totally played it as his being humanised/transformed by falling in love with Geordie (the way he says his name, that sidelong look at the end). He makes a sacrifice for the man he loves, and I can well imagine the episode and his part in it being important to gay guys, particularly at a time when many of them were closeted and when there were few unstereotyped gay characters on TV.

His performance was brilliant and has aged well (as has he). I keep hoping there'll be some way of bringing him back.

368100 wrote: »
    :-S He was very skinny but youve reminded ne i had a big thing for Vedek Bareil.....

tromtipp wrote: »
    In I, Borg, although the script and the other actors gave us a story of a borg being humanised by friendship, Del Arco totally played it as his being humanised/transformed by falling in love with Geordie (the way he says his name, that sidelong look at the end).

Oh I totally picked up on that. For the Picard greeting scene in "Picard", I fully expected him to ask "Is Geordi here too?" with a puppy dog eyes expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

How Picard is portrayed in this series was down to Patrick Steward, he said he would only do it if they approached it in a similar way to Logan.. and he wasn't going to wear any uniform. There is a great interview he did on happy sad confused where he talks about all of this

Ms

Just noticed there now that episode 9 and 10 are the one episode in two parts.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Just noticed there now that episode 9 and 10 are the one episode in two parts.

So two episodes this week ?

• Advertisement

No, two parter but aired over separate weeks by the looks of it.

No, two parter but aired over separate weeks by the looks of it.

How can you have a 2-parter finale in a serialised show that is essentially a 10-parter??????

Show gets dumber every week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pah wrote: »
    How can you have a 2-parter finale in a serialised show that is essentially a 10-parter??????

I dont think it get Dumber, but you're right. A two parter as part of a ten parter does strike me as baffling.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

2 part final episodes are typical enough on TV, don't quite get the annoyance here? Even the nomenclature usually Blah Part 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Standard fare! A cliffhanger in the 2nd last episode, before a huge cliffhanger in the final episode :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    2 part final episodes are typical enough on TV, don't quite get the annoyance here? Even the nomenclature usually Blah Part 1 and 2.

The episodes are already running directly from one into the other. It's stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The episodes are already running directly from one into the other. It's stupid.

Again, much like most serialised shows. I get some folk hate Picard, but this is all boilerplate stuff for TV, so raging on it just looks a bit petty. 2 part finales, even in serialised shows, are normal.

Have fans ever reacted well to any Star Trek show ?

Have fans ever reacted well to any Star Trek show ?
    No new iteration of anything has ever pleased 100% of people who were already fans of that thing.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Why are you watching it so? All I have seen from you about every episode is negativity. If you don't like it and think its dumb then stop watching it. I know I would if I thought a show was stupid or dumb. I always give shows that I think might interest me a change first do.

Two shows that I tried but are absolute rubbish is

Mutant X

and for a more recent one even the name is crap

Breeders.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement