Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Have fans ever reacted well to any Star Trek show ?

Why? Is this show getting negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AMKC wrote: »
    Why are you watching it so? All I have seen from you about every episode is negativity. If you don't like it and think its dumb then stop watching it.

I was going to reply with the same thing then I decided I should probably follow my own advice and added him to my ignore list instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I think it's pretty bad too and pretty much only still watching it to see how bad it gets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Complaining about having two part finales seems especially asinine. I've tended to avoid sniffing at negative points of view - not like this show hasn't big flaws - but cribbing about what's standard in serialised TV betrays obvious axes to be ground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I am loving the show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I’m glad people are enjoying it. Unfortunately it isn’t for me. Really really dislike it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

fixXxer wrote: »
    Frakes has always been a big guy, I thought he looked well considering he's settled down outside of Star fleet. He looked worse in Enterprise where he was squeezed back in to uniform for the holodeck episode.

Speaking as a middle aged man very few of us age gracefully.

5uspect wrote: »
    I’m glad people are enjoying it. Unfortunately it isn’t for me. Really really dislike it.

You are entitled to your views but I like it overall. I agree they should have done it ten years ago . The cast is good. The script moves along. It's darker than TNG but overall sci fi is darker. Hell, everything is darker !

I'm happy to see Trek move forward again in time. I liked Discovery but have had enough of prequels. Star trek went South with Voyager but completely tanked with Enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrmmmm... *remembers TNG Borg episodes* .. what if it's a THREE parter! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭pah

Am I not entitled to post here that I dislike things about the show? I've watched plenty of shows that I dislike for various reasons. The old " don't watch it if you don't like it" arguement never gets much weight from me.

Same goes for "you don't like it so why post here so....." Is the forum reserved for fans who only praise things?? I thought this was a discussion board.

As for the guy who's going to block me rather than reply :rolleyes: give me a break.

I'm really not enjoying Picard but I will still watch it because I am a Star Trek fan for 30 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sure you can hate the show, free country and there's plenty wrong with the season, but giving off about episode titles is silly, and just comes off like you're searching for reasons to dump on the show *shrug* it's like giving off that the show has a Credits sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Slydice wrote: »
    Hrmmmm... *remembers TNG Borg episodes* .. what if it's a THREE parter! :eek:

That was such a great cliffhanger. The only thing that bugged me was how long it took to charge up. They should have had it charging and a loud noise as it charged and then when Riker said Mr Worf fire it would end and next episode would start with a view outside and the deflector firing then inside to the bridge.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im watching Lost in Space at the moment , Its more interesting than Picard. Sad!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

That was such a great cliffhanger. The only thing that bugged me was how long it took to charge up. They should have had it charging and a loud noise as it charged and then when Riker said Mr Worf fire it would end and next episode would start with a view outside and the deflector firing then inside to the bridge.

Locutus: The knowledge and experience - of the human - Picard - is part of us now. It has prepared us for all possible courses of action.
    Your resistance is hopeless....Number One.

I always loved that last part. It felt like the closest we'd ever get to seeing The Borg giving Starfleet the middle finger :D

If the finale is a two-parter shown on separate weeks, then isn’t the second of those really the finale anyway?

Some of this is good and some isn’t. A bit like all the shows really (there’s some great stuff in Enterprise and I love Voyager anyway). The gore put me off for a while but I’m glad they didn’t do much more and I went back to it.

Ms

Anyone else holding of on watching the last two episode's till they are both out?

I am.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I usually watch them on Sat/Sun myself on prime video, but this afternoon stupid google news showed a potential spoiler in my newsfeed, so just a heads up for those who wait / not seen Ep 9 yet :)

Anyone else holding of on watching the last two episode's till they are both out?

I am.

Could be dead this time next week so I might as well watch what I can.

Ms

Good point. When I that first I thought you were going to say it could be gone because of this pandemic but ye being dead would be worse. Still going to wait myself. Sure if it comes that I have to self isolate I will watch it then.

Oh I am AMKC and I plan to still be alive this time next week:cool:

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Star Trek vs reality ... not much difference anymore.

Been true since the day you were born; if we knuckle down and take things seriously, no reason why we won't all live to old age & "Star Trek: Burnham", a sequel series charting 70 something actor Sonequa Martin-Green returning to her role for "one last mission" :D

As glib as it is to say, don't panic, take a breath. This too shall pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

pixelburp wrote: »
    Been true since the day you were born; if we knuckle down and take things seriously, no reason why we won't all live to old age & "Star Trek: Burnham", a sequel series charting 70 something actor Sonequa Martin-Green returning to her role for "one last mission" :D

As glib as it is to say, don't panic, take a breath. This too shall pass.
    God between us and all harm, the idea of being whatever is the equivalent of on-line in my late 90s, saying 'I remember TOS when it was new' as I attempt to defend the latest offering from the baby haters is . . . . rather encouraging actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Before I watch the latest installment I have to say I really appreciate the escapism Picard provides in these weird times.

I'm also glad this is released on a weekly basis, rather than that awful binge watching.

I will also say that I am enjoying this much more than Discovery. Not that that would be hard but all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I like the show but am I the only one that's kind of underwhelmed by the CGI ship scenes so far? Don't know why really but thought they'd be more impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So far, with one episode left, I would give the show a solid 8... and I agree binging isn’t the way to go

I've enjoyed this on balance. It's not top tier television but sometimes it doesn't need to be. The writing has been pretty poor and Kurtzmans era can be defined by clumsy emotional storytelling; overall though, I've liked the adventure, the mystery and most of the characters. I think it being Trek, there's a temptation to really dive into the weeds for critical analysis and I'd openly wonder if there's an aspect of "hate watching" among its viewers. Wouldn't be the first time it happened with a modern TV show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I think it being Trek, there's a temptation to really dive into the weeds for critical analysis and I'd openly wonder if there's an aspect of "hate watching" among its viewers. Wouldn't be the first time it happened with a modern TV show
    I'm definitely hate watching it at this point and don't see a problem with that. It's not like I started to watch it with any intention other then hoping it was really good.

I'm definitely hate watching it at this point and don't see a problem with that. It's not like I started to watch it with any intention other then hoping it was really good.

Your choice of course, but would you not just spend your free time watching something you actively enjoy? I'm not above hate watching, I did so with Walking Dead til I realised I was wasting my time on something I hated. Life's too short either way, and I was getting wound up needlessly. It's obvious some folk really hate this and the general approach to modern Trek so it's like ... go do something you enjoy *shrug* :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Your choice of course, but would you not just spend your free time watching something you actively enjoy? I'm not above hate watching, I did so with Walking Dead til I realised I was wasting my time on something I hated. Life's too short either way, and I was getting wound up needlessly. It's obvious some folk really hate this and the general approach to modern Trek so it's like ... go do something you enjoy *shrug* :)
    I liked the Walking Dead, got bored by it, hate watched it for awhile, and then got bored by that, and gave up. I think one of the differences is Picard is only 9 episodes so not a huge commitment. Secondly I have a built-in interest in the world, I want and hope it to be good.

I think there is two types of hate watching, the type that is enjoyable and the type that is not. If it gets to the late period Walking Dead type hate you can be sure I'll switch off.

Advertisement