Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I think this trek hate thing is only in a few of your heads on here.

Crazy chat, take it to pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone else holding of on watching the last two episode's till they are both out?

I am.

You didn't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I'll watch it first Thursday and let ye know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

AllForIt wrote: »
    You didn't :P

What can I say. There was spoilers on FB and You-Tube so I decided it was safer to watch it than have it ruined for me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

So we are nearly at the end of the first season of Picard. Not long to wait now. i see CBS are making the series free for the month of April although I am not sure if that apply 's here. Can't wait to see how they end the season. Will it be a cliffhanger? I hope it is.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Overall I like it. Picard has moved on. He is no longer in his prime. He is more human. It was great to see Troi/Riker/Brent Spiner even though Datas family shows feck all coherence in terms of the canon. Im also a sucker in terms of beautiful brunettes( Robot girl)
    As noted a few times-its good to see the TREK universe moving forward in time rather than another bloody prequel.
    This actually feels way more trek than DISCOVERY. Everybody in Discovery came across as poo faced or constipated. Take your pick.
    Its great to see decent character development and humour. Picards ex Number one is a tonic as is the ships captain
    Yes they went overboard with the hologram versions of him but I like him. He is supportive of JL-and his character fits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AMKC wrote: »
    What can I say. There was spoilers on FB and You-Tube so I decided it was safer to watch it than have it ruined for me.

What would be nice is a special extended final episode - especially given the series is so short.

Episode 9 didn't feel like a special part-1'er. It just felt like a normal episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭pah

This thread is still no spoilers right?

That opening shot of the Enterprise
    Rios character, after a very clichéd introduction.
    Seeing 7 of 9
    Seeing Riker, Troi, Data

Dislike

The generic star warsy ship
    All the killing, there is lots of killing in this & Gore
    F bombs
    Convenient happenstance
    Generally poor writing/ story progression
    The fact that the while thing so far could probably be edited to 3 hours and you wouldn't miss it on much.
    J L
    Raffi
    Picard being roasted by everybody

Other things that annoyed a bit
    The imbalance of female characters sticks out a bit I.e.
    Warrior nuns, female authority everywhere, zaht vash and their Foremothers etc

Picard going out of his way to get romulan legolas despite being on the clock with magic/soji only to cut him loose 2 episodes later.

Overall I'm disappointed. A few sparks here and there but the whole thing just fell flat for me personally. I'm not excited about the finale which says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the consensus seems to be a heavily flawed show, the funniest observation I came across was that they did a screen grab of this and built the show around it lol

"The Cylons Synths were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many copies. And they have a plan."

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

silverharp wrote: »
    the consensus seems to be a heavily flawed show, the funniest observation I came across was that they did a screen grab of this and built the show around it lol

"The Cylons Synths were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many copies. And they have a plan."

Aside from the evolving bit, the rest of that didn't really pan out. I mean, you can see why people would assume it was going to from earlier episodes, but it didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Firblog

I do believe that I have seen every episode of every Star Trek series at least once, I'd say I've seen each episode of Next Generation 2 to 3 times on average. I do believe I will never watch any of these Picard episodes ever again, total waste of time, even during a time when we're not allowed out of the house to do anything else I feel I could have put the time it took to watch them to much better use - say hoovering the insulation in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

Firblog wrote: »
    I do believe that I have seen every episode of every Star Trek series at least once, I'd say I've seen each episode of Next Generation 2 to 3 times on average. I do believe I will never watch any of these Picard episodes ever again, total waste of time, even during a time when we're not allowed out of the house to do anything else I feel I could have put the time it took to watch them to much better use - say hoovering the insulation in the attic.

This it a thing about a lot of new Trek for me too. I think the only Trek I've seen more than once in the past few years was the 2009 Star Trek movie.

I have never since felt any drive to re-watch any of the Kelvin-verse sequels, nor Discovery. Although Picard felt like an improvement I already know that I probably won't want to rewatch this. Especially now that I know how the whole story arc of Season 1 is ended.

I have rewatched TNG, DS9, and hell even the odd Voyager. The odd Enterprise episode even got a re-watch...but that was even rarer for me.

Discovery and Picard are likely not going to be rewatched by me. They both kind of suffer from having their seasons being built up to climatic final episode, and then making a dog's dinner of that finale, thus tainting the whole season for me. It's hard to be invested in the journey if the destination is just so disappointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think "rewatchability" is a problem unique to Trek though. We live in an age where there has never been so much "content" on offer. You look at Netflix where there's about a dozen new shows out every month. YouTube is continuously shoving suggestions down our throats. TV doesn't have any permanence anymore - just consume, consume, consume and jump to the next viral sensation. Don't think about what you just watched, here's a new show to binge! Look how quickly Game of Thrones dropped from the zeitgeist the moment it finished - controversial ending notwithstanding.

To my mind, if something didn't already exist in our own personal cultural spaces prior to the digital age & "Peak TV', then it struggles to keep itself within that space of "just one more go around the block". It's fair to say that most of us here had a pre-existing liking or love of Trek in the first place: Enterprise finished just on the very cusp of the digital age, but still very much in that era when the weekly episode was something unique, something special. Now, Picard and Discovery are just another show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Wasn't a fan of Alison Pill but only because I found her character in The Newsroom to be really annoying so I was trying to seperate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Firblog

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think "rewatchability" is a problem unique to Trek though. We live in an age where there has never been so much "content" on offer. You look at Netflix where there's about a dozen new shows out every month....

The reason I wouldn't rewatch Picard has nothing to do with the amount of new material coming out on all the different platforms.. I won't watch it again because it was sh1te. I am a bit of a trekkie fan, but you'd have to be deluded if you thought that Picard was even a 3/10 sci fi show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm not deluded and I enjoyed the show!
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters!
    If you don't like it, you can swivel :D

I’ve watched Discovery a few times but I don’t think I would this.

Ms

Rawr wrote: »
    This it a thing about a lot of new Trek for me too. I think the only Trek I've seen more than once in the past few years was the 2009 Star Trek movie.

I have never since felt any drive to re-watch any of the Kelvin-verse sequels, nor Discovery. Although Picard felt like an improvement I already know that I probably won't want to rewatch this. Especially now that I know how the whole story arc of Season 1 is ended.

I have rewatched TNG, DS9, and hell even the odd Voyager. The odd Enterprise episode even got a re-watch...but that was even rarer for me.

I think the only Trek I've seen more than once in the past few years was the 2009 Star Trek movie.

Star Trek Beyond ain't too bad. Its probably the most Star Trek of all the Kelvin verse films. I agree with the one in the middle do its terrible.

A pity as it could have been much better or even great. So many characters and enemies from TOS that they could have used like Charlie X, or Nomad, or the Doomsday machine but instead they make a crappy reboot of what is to most Trekkes the best film ever. .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

A fairly poor series overall, wouldn't be bothered if there wasn't a second series.

Ms

[QUOTE=ReginaldSmythV; Discovery a few times but I don’t think I would this.[/QUOTE]

I am the opposite. I watched Discovery season 1 once but could not watch it a 2nd time. Maybe the 2nd season I might rewatch sometime but only when I can fast forward by the parts I don't like.
    I will watch Picard a 2nd time do and while there is parts in it that I did not like there is good parts too it too and some really good episodes too. I might even buy it when it comes out to buy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I’ve watched Discovery a few times but I don’t think I would this.

I am the opposite. I watched Discovery season 1 once but could not watch it a 2nd time. Maybe the 2nd season I might rewatch sometime but only when I can fast forward by the parts I don't like.
    I will watch Picard a 2nd time do and while there is parts in it that I did not like there is good parts too it too and some really good episodes too. I might even buy it when it comes out to buy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'm fully intending to re-watch Picard. Oh no, that means I'm delusional!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm fully intending to re-watch Picard. Oh no, that means I'm delusional!

Well, you are a supporter of Atomic horror

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭pah

I must be in the minority that thought the last episode was one of the better ones and I would give the show a delusional 5/10 overall.

Friends of mine who would have been Trek fans with me in school seem to think it's good so it is of course subjective. Maybe Sub Rosa was one of their favourite TNG episodes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

pah wrote: »
    I must be in the minority that thought the last episode was one of the better ones and I would give the show a delusional 5/10 overall.

Friends of mine who would have been Trek fans with me in school seem to think it's good so it is of course subjective. Maybe Sub Rosa was one of their favourite TNG episodes :P

I'll see your "Sub Rosa", and raise you a "Shades of Grey" :D

Rawr wrote: »
    I'll see your "Sub Rosa", and raise you a "Shades of Grey" :D

All this does is remind us what bad and lazy writing really looks like in Star Trek. I'm dry-heaving even thinking of that clip show abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

All this does is remind us what bad and lazy writing really looks like in Star Trek. I'm dry-heaving even thinking of that clip show abomination.

It's what writing looks like in the middle of a Writers Guild strike, it's not a fair comparison to any other series or episode except maybe one being produced during something like peak coronavirus lockdown.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's what writing looks like in the middle of a Writers Guild strike, it's not a fair comparison to any other series or episode except maybe one being produced during something like peak coronavirus lockdown.

Fair enough, I'll concede that point for Shades of Gray. Sub Rosa? Or how about Code of Honor? Or Angel One?

Those episodes would have killed most other shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, I think the standards of scriptwriting have changed since those execrable plots of Sub Rosa et all. We expect more because - for all intents and purposes - TV writing and production basically exists in a more adult & complex cultural space. IT's not without reason respected Hollywood figures want to work in TV. Those high standards are seen in SciFi as well, with The Expanse arguably the standard bearer of adult, complex and characterful Space Opera.

I've enjoyed Picard on balance - even if that ending left a sour taste in my mouth - but when the writing has dropped the ball it has done so against the context of a high standard of writing in the current cultural space. Kurtzman emphasises these big emotional moments over either basic logic or any kind of investment or foundation. There's nothing cathartic or earned about the developments in Picard.

Contrast the Big Swings of Rios, who I otherwise liked, with something like the crew of the Rocinante in the aforementioned Expanse; there we follow characters who grow through action and the necessity of events. Not big Twists or arbitrary shocks. It's more naturalistic and you can see how someone like Holden went from season 1 to season 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fair enough, I'll concede that point for Shades of Gray. Sub Rosa? Or how about Code of Honor? Or Angel One?
    Those episodes would have killed most other shows.

Not by the standards of 1980s 20+ episodes a season American TV shows.

A-Team, Murder She Wrote, MacGyver, etc they all had some turkeys. The clip show episode. The Oirish episode. The Chinese episode. The Roots episode or whatever. The save the rainforest episode. The cameo appearance by someone famous episode. The twin episode.

Inevitable when you factor in the teething troubles of season 1 of a new genre show like TNG, and I seem to remember some awful episodes in Babylon 5 season 1 also (balanced with the brilliant).

Knock out the worst 6 episodes per season if there's more than 20.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement