Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm still not sure I could name five characters form the show (Lorca, Pike, & Burnham aside). As you say, the whole approach has been a disaster. Star Trek only ever truly shone, when the characters came to life. It's pretty much Burnham, whoever the Captain is that season, Saru, Tilly, & a bunch of extras.

I wonder would people's opinions be different if Discovery's lead character wasn't so polarising: that were Burnham a more charismatic character, more would be forgiven. Outside of Burnham, you could take Saru, Lorca, Stamets, Tilly at a stretch but appreciate she hasn't been everyone's flavour. So approximately 4 fairly well defined characters (let's include said polarising Burnham). Arguably, that's on a par with TNG, Enterprise & Voyager. Maybe even TOS.

Nostalgic goodwill is doing a lot of heavy-lifting: I'd argue old Trek had its fair share of non-entities whose names only embedded themselves through time, fandom & the fact many of the actors were themsevles engaging, decent folk by their own right. LeForge was (IMO obviously) a terrible non-entity - as bad as Discovery's own - yet LeVar Burton endeared himself in the intervening years in being a thoroughly Good Egg. Sulu had zero characterisation in TOS. He ... uh, liked fencing? yet George Takei has been such a larger than life, magnetic individual, Sulu basically being Takei (to the extent the actor's sexuality retrofitted into the character's own personal history).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder would people's opinions be different if Discovery's lead character wasn't so polarising: that were Burnham a more charismatic character, more would be forgiven.

I actually like the character, and I think Green does a fine job with her too all things considered. The issue isn't so much Burnham, it's the absence of any effort in relation to character development outside of Burnham. Would that issue go away if Green were a better actor? Not for me anyway, as I said, I think she's not doing much wrong - the issue here is, as has always been with Discovery, the writers & producers.
    Outside of Burnham, you could take Saru, Lorca, Stamets, Tilly at a stretch but appreciate she hasn't been everyone's flavour. So approximately 4 fairly well defined characters (let's include said polarising Burnham). Arguably, that's on a par with TNG, Enterprise & Voyager. Maybe even TOS.

None of those shows, were so solely centered on one character as Discovery is. They might not have been successful in their attempts, but they at least tried to develop non-main characters. Even if they were, the landscape of TV has changed since those shows were airing, so there's really no point comparing what Discovery is doing to shows from the 80's & 90's....the writers, producers, and network should know better by now.
    Nostalgic goodwill is doing a lot of heavy-lifting: I'd argue old Trek had its fair share of non-entities whose names only embedded themselves through time, fandom & the fact many of the actors were themsevles engaging, decent folk by their own right. LeForge was (IMO obviously) a terrible non-entity - as bad as Discovery's own - yet LeVar Burton endeared himself in the intervening years in being a thoroughly Good Egg. Sulu had zero characterisation in TOS. He ... uh, liked fencing? yet George Takei has been such a larger than life, magnetic individual, Sulu basically being Takei (to the extent the actor's sexuality retrofitted into the character's own personal history).

Of course it had its fair share of non-entites....La Forge, Crusher, Troi, Kim, Chakotay, Sulu, Chekov, the list goes on. We know all that.

Where Trek shone, is where it got characters right. Not only that, but how those grand characters interacted with others and with the world around them...y'know, basic storytelling and such. It's as if those at the helm of Discovery have ignored ALL of the things Star Trek got right and wrong over it's ~60 year history, said "be grand", and expected it to work. I say that as someone who was initially hopeful of Discovery, and who by the end of the second season, felt the entire show from start to finish so far (a few standalone episodes aside), has been a total waste of potential from everyone.

You can't debate if Green is the issue, whether nostalgia is the problem, and argue that Trek has always had bad characters....the production has been riddled with well publicized problems in several areas....that's what's wrong with Discovery, not the actors, not Star Trek fans, but ultimately, the people writing for and producing the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Nostalgic goodwill is doing a lot of heavy-lifting:
    I'd be fascinated to see a group of people who have never seen Star Trek before watching season one of each series, except Picard, and see what they thought of them or which one they would most like to keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think of the 20th century Star Trek series, TOS had the strongest first season by far. Pretty much hit the ground running and followed the reverse of every other series's pattern with a strong Season 1 and 2 and a weak Season 3. Whereas TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise didn't find their feet until Season 3. I would easily take Discovery's first season over TNG/DS9/Voyager's tbh. Not sure how I feel about Picard after reflecting on it. Was enjoying it but it built up a lot of promise, on which it failed to deliver by the time the season finished.

I've spoken to quite a few non-Trekkies and they all loved Discovery's first season. TOS is probably too dated now for a newbie to love.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I wonder would people's opinions be different if Discovery's lead character wasn't so polarising: that were Burnham a more charismatic character,

got nothing against the actress, and she could play the greatest role, but it is still just one character.
    My favorite show is was and will always be DS9, in part because of the depth of the characters.
    Even TNG that had the awful cardboard cut outs of Geordi, and the Crushers, at least had Picard, Riker and Data, 3 characters at least, discovery having just one main, and its guest stars wont work, no matter how good the character is or talented the actress may be.

Pike will be a huge loss for season 3, as said he was the star of the show, even if he was not meant to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    I'd be fascinated to see a group of people who have never seen Star Trek before watching season one of each series, except Picard, and see what they thought of them or which one they would most like to keep watching.

Impossible to be sure given we're all bias here, but if we're spitballing about modern TV audiences, I'd be surprised if any of the series received much patience. Watching TNG, DS9 and Enterprise kinda depends on the viewer knowing "they get better", so if folks are coming at the show utterly cold - without those caveats - the garbage First Seasons would likely scare folk off. In fact, TNG might come off the worst given its infamously inert season. TOS would probably get a pass for being so completely out of time, while Voyager? Dunno, weirdly it might get the longest leash, having the most straightforward premise ("Lost in space"!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Impossible to be sure given we're all bias here, but if we're spitballing about modern TV audiences, I'd be surprised if any of the series received much patience. Watching TNG, DS9 and Enterprise kinda depends on the viewer knowing "they get better", so if folks are coming at the show utterly cold - without those caveats - the garbage First Seasons would likely scare folk off. In fact, TNG might come off the worst given its infamously inert season. TOS would probably get a pass for being so completely out of time, while Voyager? Dunno, weirdly it might get the longest leash, having the most straightforward premise ("Lost in space"!)
    I'm not so sure. The only objectively superior things about PIC/STD are the quality of the special effects and the sets and costumes were made with HD/4k in mind.

Evade wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. The only objectively superior things about PIC/STD are the quality of the special effects and the sets and costumes were made with HD/4k in mind.

You did say excepting Picard, and I intentionally ignored Discovery initially. Whatever else about the latter's flaws, it was more intentionally plot / arc focused than any other Trek so it might hold this theoretical Viewer than the older, more episodic shows - if only because it has a "what happens next??" quality.

We live in a different era of television, with different expectations, tastes & competing TV dramas. Once off, episodic TV is dead, for all intents and purposes. I don't believe a typical viewer would have the patience to stick with something so aggressively episodic, and as hamfisted and clumsy as TNG Season 1.

We can debate til the cows go home about a total hypothetical but old Trek requires a certain flexibility and appreciation of context.

I would never have stuck through DS9's first season had I not been emphatically promised that "it gets better".

Stark wrote: »
    I would never have stuck through DS9's first season had I not been emphatically promised that "it gets better".

Same here with TNG. I had read enough that season 3 marked an upswing in quality but ye gods those first 2 seasons were rough to push through. If it wasn't Trek I'd have laughed it off as some awful drek from the bowels of network TV archives, moved on to something better. Don't believe a casual TV viewer in 2020, without those caveats, would stick with TNG. Not least because of the absence of a "plot".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

You did say excepting Picard, and I intentionally ignored Discovery initially. Whatever else about the latter's flaws, it was more intentionally plot / arc focused than any other Trek so it might hold this theoretical Viewer than the older, more episodic shows - if only because it has a "what happens next??" quality.

We live in a different era of television, with different expectations, tastes & competing TV dramas. Once off, episodic TV is dead, for all intents and purposes. I don't believe a typical viewer would have the patience to stick with something so aggressively episodic, and as hamfisted and clumsy as TNG Season 1.

We can debate til the cows go home about a total hypothetical but old Trek requires a certain flexibility and appreciation of context.

The Mandalorian gave us some episodic style eps, alongside a series long story arc, similar enough to how DS9 did it. Mandalorian was MILES better than either of the recent Trek shows

Ballso wrote: »
    The Mandalorian gave us some episodic style eps, alongside a series long story arc, similar enough to how DS9 did it. Mandalorian was MILES better than either of the recent Trek shows

Couldn't agree more, it really was excellent imo. An example of how to expand within a franchise, in a fresh, all new direction. Discovery isn't even remotely of the same caliber of tv as The Mandalorian.

I wonder would people's opinions be different if Discovery's lead character wasn't so polarising: that were Burnham a more charismatic character, more would be forgiven...

Nostalgic goodwill is doing a lot of heavy-lifting: I'd argue old Trek had its fair share of non-entities

Just going back to this, why are you set on suggesting that a polarising character and people's own nostalgia is the cause of the issue, while ignoring the fact the the many many on set issues might be the cause of people's problems with the show?

Just going back to this, why are you set on suggesting that a polarising character and people's own nostalgia is the cause of the issue, while ignoring the fact the the many many on set issues might be the cause of people's problems with the show?

I'm not ignoring anything; we were talking about characters and so only suggested that were Burnham an all round more charismatic, less obnoxious lead character, people's goodwill for Discovery might have been a little longer. That a shítty supporting cast isn't a new flaw in Trek. We're all aware of the production issues, it's a wondering Season 1 came together at all.

I'm not ignoring anything; we were talking about characters and so only suggested that were Burnham an all round more charismatic, less obnoxious lead character, people's goodwill for Discovery might have been a little longer. That a shítty supporting cast isn't a new flaw in Trek. We're all aware of the production issues, it's a wondering Season 1 came together at all.

I see, cheers. Again though I don't know, hell I think if Patrick Stewart was playing Burnham the show would still be a mess. I don't feel there's many on-screen issues with Discovery (except perhaps the odd shaky-cam episode, and I'm not a fan of dark 'cinematic' lighting on tv shows...but that's just personal preference), for me the root of the issue is off-screen. Disjointed arcs, cramming to into too few episodes, lack of character development, amongst other issues, come well before we get into any on screen issues.

I'd love if the show found some stability in its direction, but we're about to have a third soft-reboot for its third season. I'm not sure how the show can ever be salvaged now and carve out its own niche spot in the Trek universe. Is it a prequel, is it a sequel, what is it?

I'd love if the show found some stability in its direction, but we're about to have a third soft-reboot for its third season. I'm not sure how the show can ever be salvaged now and carve out its own niche spot in the Trek universe. Is it a prequel, is it a sequel, what is it?

A sequel: hard to be 100% given we've had one trailer and that was it, but that promo made it explicit enough the third series will be a fresh start: Disco thrown into the far-far future and trying to rebuild the Federation (again, reading between the lines there). I'd honestly be very surprised if the writers actually let the ship return to its original time; especially if the rumours of a Pike series are true. The production issues appear to have been resolved and being in literal new canon territory for the franchise should give it the space it needed.

A sequel: hard to be 100% given we've had one trailer and that was it, but that promo made it explicit enough the third series will be a fresh start: Disco thrown into the far-far future and trying to rebuild the Federation (again, reading between the lines there). I'd honestly be very surprised if the writers actually let the ship return to its original time; especially if the rumours of a Pike series are true. The production issues appear to have been resolved and being in literal new canon territory for the franchise should give it the space it needed.

Yeah your assessment of the trailer & what we know so far seems fair. So if there's going to be a Season 4, it's a safe assumption then that it'll have to remain in the future (this also ties into the Short Trek that suggested the ship developed a highly advanced AI at some point, and ultimately sits abandoned). The production issues seem resolved thankfully, so all that's left are the writing issues....can they carve out a decent story that involves more than 2/3 main characters at this point, and allow the show to truly grow & mature?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see, cheers. Again though I don't know, hell I think if Patrick Stewart was playing Burnham the show would still be a mess. I don't feel there's many on-screen issues with Discovery (except perhaps the odd shaky-cam episode, and I'm not a fan of dark 'cinematic' lighting on tv shows...but that's just personal preference), for me the root of the issue is off-screen. Disjointed arcs, cramming to into too few episodes, lack of character development, amongst other issues, come well before we get into any on screen issues.

Don't forget that it took TNG, DS9 and Enterprise 3 seasons before thy finally got good. Maybe this will be that turning point for Discovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Agree. Fundamentally Discovery was a show in search of a premise. The usual problem of prequels in that arsing about Discovered Countries could only go so far. Obviously same caveats again but if season 3 becomes the magic number again it'd be rather apt.

And weirdly, Burnham's previous central position in the narrative could yet work within the realms of a "rebuild the Federation" storyline - given she and the Discovery would presumably become the point of rallying. Trying not to get over excited but the potential is there.

AMKC wrote: »
    Don't forget that it took TNG, DS9 and Enterprise 3 seasons before thy finally got good. Maybe this will be that turning point for Discovery.

While that's certainly true, don't forget that while those early seasons were meandering a bit...we got some sustained character development, which meant those seasons weren't a complete waste of time. By the time said shows actually got good, we were very familiar with the characters, engaged with them, and that meant anything that happened to them subsequently actually mattered to us - the viewers.

Similarly, those shows didn't undergo several soft-reboots by the time they hit their stride. TNG was all about the 'classical' Trek experience, moral dilemmas, exploration, diplomacy, etc etc. DS9 went beyond that, and raised the bar for character development (still hasn't been rivaled 20 years on in the franchise), war, loss, and everything in between. Both shows stayed true to their roots, and that is what allowed them to actually grow into the staples that they still are today.

Discovery started out well. While it redesigned the Klingons and this caused some major issues (I personally enjoyed the new take on them), it gave us the backdrop of the Federation/Klingon war...why it started, the dangers it posed to the Federation, and so forth. Then it wasn't about that anymore, and we were suddenly watching the crews escapades with a pantomime villain version of Georgiou in the Mirror Universe. Then it wasn't about that anymore, and it was about Section 31 and the Red Angel, so saving the Federation from that. Now it looks like it won't be about that anymore, and it'll be about saving the future of the Federation....ALL of that crammed into less than 30 episodes!

^^ The show hasn't been given space to actually breathe (on the rare occasion we get a standalone episode, I feel the show fares MUCH better). To me, the show comes across as frantic and desperate, with each arc having to be bigger, better, faster, with less and less emphasis on enriching the quality.

Season 3 might be the one that sticks, but it would have stood a higher chance of sticking if the show was less panicked about what it's trying to be, and if we were more at home with the characters. Let's wait & see, though subjectively speaking, I'll have to fight my cynicism going in....we've seen Burnham save the Federation in the past, now we'll undoubtedly get to see her save the Federation in the future too. Fingers crossed for a more balanced approach this season.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »

Really, it took 3 seasons for DS9 to get good ?

Thats not fact but opinion, one you are obviously entitled to, however the first 2 season of ds9 saw episodes that are considered among the best episodes of ds9, and episodes like Duet, considered among the best in all of trek.
    As mentioned by others, character development was widespread in ds9.

Meanwhile in Discovery the best characters were Pike , Lorca, and cirnwell....all now either dead or gone from the show.
    Other than burnham, character development has been slow at best.

The argument made by many across forums that discovery was limited in what it could cover is nonsense in my opinion as there was plenty of material to work with.

As weak as enterprise, and voyager were, their first 2 season was superior to what discovery did, all that has helped Discovery was its HD, great cgi, and other effects.

Really, it took 3 seasons for DS9 to get good ?

Thats not fact but opinion, one you are obviously entitled to, however the first 2 season of ds9 saw episodes that are considered among the best episodes of ds9, and episodes like Duet, considered among the best in all of trek.
    As mentioned by others, character development was widespread in ds9.

3 is an approximation but DS9 was crap up until the Maquis entered the picture in late season 2 IMO. One good episode does not make a good season.

TNG had a handful of excellent episodes in Seasons 1 and 2 but overall the quality was poor compared to later seasons.

they were still better than discovery.

Take away the effects, cgi, hi def, what did it have ?
    A show almost entirely based on one character, that is not going to work.

Enterprise and voyager were widely slated, and had more than their share of dud episodes, but they had more decent ones in the first 2 season than discovery in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

First of all, let me start with the fact that the problem of exaggerated criticism of new interpretations of old franchises is real: people made their own version of them in their minds and are upset when the real thing doesn't mirror that. Happens with everything - look at the recent Streets Of Rage game release, with a lot of people dissing it because the art style and the music are, essentially, not the same as 30 years go.

Picard - I enjoyed it and shock, horror, I'm a long term Trekkie who watched every single episode, movie, animated series and whatnot. It DOES have pitfalls - the story is a rehashed "been there done that" and the Romulans being characterized as, basically, space elves is as dumb as it gets; Plus, an entire season without seeing neither a Romulan nor a Federation ship and their interior is weird - the ships and their "look & feel" onboard have been the hearth & soul of Star Trek, what makes it so that 0.3 seconds after seeing a single frame, everyone would immediately go "It's from Star Trek" (and one of the main reasons why the Orville is so loved by long time Trekkies). The preachyness...well, it's Picard, isn't he? He IS supposed to be the best diplomat the Federation ever saw...

And this leads to the main issue - "old" Trek tried to make the audience think and reflect (with the odd weird/silly/hamfisted episode); New Trek tells its audience what to think, with a "like this or else..." tone.

When it comes to Discovery...there's a huge, gigantic elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about, because it's not politically correct...but screw it, I'm doing this.

The big problem is that Burnham behaves, talks, looks and feels like the grandmother of all tryhard token characters. Every single one of her defining characteristics has been crafted specifically to reinforce that...almost as if the writers and producers were more interested in making a show about their "strong, unconventional black woman main character who has a male name just so we tick all the boxes!" than making a good show, nor a Star Trek show for what matters. And if you don't like her, nor the idea, or dare criticizing the character - you're a racist misogynist.

Fact is, I don't care if a character is a slimy Tentaculoid from the outer moon of Exor II-C communicating via explosive sperm emissions. I don't identify with characters, never have; The fact that Sisko was a black dude, Janeway a woman and Kira an ALIEN woman never even registered with me - they're respectively the most badass Captain ever seen on Star Trek (the one you REALLY don't want to p1ss off), the Captain who managed to keep her crew and ship together faced with the most desperate situation and the most annoyingly stubborn but well-meaning First Officer seen on screen.

Once you have a character like Burhnam being the reason for your show to exist, you're doomed, essentially - there isn't anything you can do to save the story from becoming just a scenario to show off the character, unless you completely abandon the initial premise and start afresh. Which might happen in season 3, but I wouldn't put my money on it.

they were still better than discovery.

Take away the effects, cgi, hi def, what did it have ?
    A show almost entirely based on one character, that is not going to work.

Enterprise and voyager were widely slated, and had more than their share of dud episodes, but they had more decent ones in the first 2 season than discovery in my opinion.

No they weren't. I really struggled through early episodes of DS9, only kept going by the promise of it getting better. Loads of guides on the Internet on how to get through the first two seasons as fast as possible without missing the important bits for later seasons.

Similar with Enterprise's first two seasons, like watching paint dry. Voyager did have quite a lot of very enjoyable episodes in its first two seasons in fairness.

I was genuinely excited for every new episode of Discovery during its first season run. Plenty to criticise but it was never dull.

Stark wrote: »
    No they weren't. I really struggled through early episodes of DS9, only kept going by the promise of it getting better. Loads of guides on the Internet on how to get through the first two seasons as fast as possible without missing the important bits for later seasons.

Similar with Enterprise's first two seasons, like watching paint dry. Voyager did have quite a lot of very enjoyable episodes in its first two seasons in fairness.

I was genuinely excited for every new episode of Discovery during its first season run. Plenty to criticise but it was never dull.

I finished my post you quoted with the 3 words "in my opinion".

You obviously share a different opinion, and thats fine but it does not make it fact.

I never saw enterprise when it aired, it was years later I got around to watching it, maybe because of the slating it got I was not expecting much, so was pleasantly surprised when I found it to be better than I thought it would be, maybe i set the bar low or stupidly allowed myself to believe nobodies on the net giving their reviews.

My point is screw internet guides, reviews from other people, I will make my own decision and whilst it may or may not be popular, I consider enterprise and voyager, better than discovery by a country mile.

My point is screw internet guides, reviews from other people, I will make my own decision...

Amen to that.
    ...and whilst it may or may not be popular, I consider enterprise and voyager, better than discovery by a country mile.

Agreed (so far anyway). While ultimately until Discovery finishes as a show, we won't be able to really soak it in, it hasn't covered itself in glory, despite having the benefit of decades worth of Trek mistakes to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

H3llR4iser wrote: »

When it comes to Discovery...there's a huge, gigantic elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about, because it's not politically correct...but screw it, I'm doing this.

The big problem is that Burnham behaves, talks, looks and feels like the grandmother of all tryhard token characters. Every single one of her defining characteristics has been crafted specifically to reinforce that...almost as if the writers and producers were more interested in making a show about their "strong, unconventional black woman main character who has a male name just so we tick all the boxes!" than making a good show, nor a Star Trek show for what matters. And if you don't like her, nor the idea, or dare criticizing the character - you're a racist misogynist.

Nicely summed up post :)
    I'm going to try to avoid going off onto a Michael rant because I guess I should save that for a Discovery thread. But what you mention is something I have felt as well, this rather blatant need of some shows to flash a sort of "Social Responsibility" score card in order to telegraph to the world how they managed to one-up other shows with their ability to score more "points".

Many have said that Trek has always been a progressive show, and it has been. But these steps at progression often felt to be beside the point, since the characters themselves were front and center. Although the Kirk / Uhura kiss elevated as this world-blowing first on-air interracial kiss...most followers of Trek would probably be more concerned with why the characters of Kirk and Uhura would even be kissing, due to the nature of how they relate to each other. It was the characters, not the race they happened to be which I feel mattered.

I remember some amount of a deal being made about Cisco when DS9 started. Again, was he a token black Captain? Or was he a man who was haunted by Wolf 359, trying his best to raise his son alone while rebuilding a space station and later becoming this awesome hard-as-nails war-captain who could design & build warships...all the while still being able go and hang out with his staff at Quarks?

Janeway's gender was a big deal for a short while too. We often debate wither or not she was a good captain, but I don't remember any debate about her gender being an issue. She was the Captain of Voyager and that felt perfectly natural. As with anyone else, it was her character we related to.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that although diversity has been a theme in TV/Movie production over the past load of decades, I feel that it had often been done in the context of hiring people into developed roles that could have just as easily been applied to a person with any particular attribute. It was never enough to simply fill out the diversity check-list, you also had to make a decent character.

In the past 10 years, I can't help but wonder if that last point has been lost to the current batch of TV production staffers. I think many of them are filling out their Social Responsibility checklist first and foremost to gain public praise from the industry media, and then phoning in the rest. Then in some cases, like with Burnham alas, they forget that they needed to properly build up their character in order for the viewers to relate to that personality. But it appears they either rushed or poorly developed their ideas for her character and now we're still talking about her being a token diversity point for the show. If they had done a better job, I feel we would now be discussing how she was a good / bad first officer. We might be discussing her relationship with Vulcan society, if they had done a better job there. We might be discussing how she managed to redeem herself after starting a war...if they hadn't just glossed over that.

Another issue I feel worth mentioning is that these days by filling out their Social Responsibility checklist, shows suddenly gain a sort of criticism-armor. You cannot critique a show where lead characters are female, because then you are sexist. Critique of a show like Discovery might imply that you are racist or homophobic etc... I feel that production staff know this, and apply this armor as a way to also gloss over their failings.

The pay off of all of this I fear will be a further decline in the quality of writing and character development. Cast and crew will be wonderfully diverse which would be great, but the quality will likely be lacking over time. I fear a future where sci-fi shows might become increasingly soul-less and devoid of character while the production companies involved slap each other on the back in congratulations of how inclusive and "ground-breaking" they have been in the process.

That all said, I am hopeful that talent still exists and that Picard Season 2 and Discovery Season 3 still have the potential of becoming good Trek. They just need to remember that it was the characters that won us over.

^^ Well said. Yes, Trek has always...always been progressive...but it had a point in being so...to break down barriers, and it seriously worked and made many many people the better for it. That's going right from the 60's, all the way up until the golden era of the 90's. No matter the decade, no matter the series of Trek...the progressive nature of the different shows were unified at their core. (Some edge cases aside, like the Africa in space TNG episode)

I feel while Trek is still progressive today, it can be a bit hit & miss in terms of what it's trying to achieve with it, and veers dangerously close to tokenism as Rawr rightly says. TOS, TNG, DS9...hell even Voyager made you stop and think sometimes, because there was always a certain quality and richness of what they were trying to achieve in this context. That can appear lost today, in an almost shallow attempt to tick a social box these days, having no other point.

Star Trek in this sense used to look at what social issues were relevant, and write wonderful ways of exposing things like racism, sexism, class, etc for what they really were. Today, it can feel a bit "virtuous", without actually tackling a social issue. Not always, but yeah. I've certainly had that impression at times in Discovery AND Picard.

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Just on the Burnham's first name as a rod to beat the show with, that's an affectation of original show-runner & writer Bryan Fuller: one of his "things" he has done in the past is giving female characters ostensibly male names (See "Chuck" in Pushing Daisies). AFAIK nothing is meant by it, it's just a little authorial signature.

Not going to get into another debate about the tonal approach of Discoveries philosophies - I fundamentally think people are finding what they want to see but we're not going to agree - but "Michael Burnham" isn't an "diversity yeah!" air-punch, it's just a holdover from the original writer's idiosyncratic way of writing his characters. Aside from anything else, I've never read or seen a single "SJW" seriously try to re-appropriate first names. That sounds like something from The Onion TBH.

Advertisement