Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pixelburp wrote: »
    I was on record in saying that a truly bold, brave choice would have been to properly lean into that android-body climax and recast Stewart. FAndom would have probably had a collective aneurism but I see-saw on the fence whether I enjoy doddery 'aul Stewart play Picard well past his dotage.
    I recall saying that after the five minutes of emotion they should have cut to a first-person shot of Brent Spiner/Soong leaning over the camera saying "Jean-Luc, Jean-Luc, wake up"

And then the camera switches and it's James McEvoy on the table, balding and greying, i.e. about five years before season 1 TNG.

The geek meltdown would have been something to behold. But I appreciate that a huge part of the appeal of the entire thing is Stewart's involvement. I wonder are they just planning 3 series, or are they setting up an opportunity to recast Picard. They missed a really good one though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

seamus wrote: »
    I recall saying that after the five minutes of emotion they should have cut to a first-person shot of Brent Spiner/Soong leaning over the camera saying "Jean-Luc, Jean-Luc, wake up"

And then the camera switches and it's James McEvoy on the table, balding and greying, i.e. about five years before season 1 TNG.

The geek meltdown would have been something to behold. But I appreciate that a huge part of the appeal of the entire thing is Stewart's involvement. I wonder are they just planning 3 series, or are they setting up an opportunity to recast Picard. They missed a really good one though.

One of the few successes of the '09 Trek, and maybe I'm not reflective of the consensus, was that the casting for it was absolutely stellar. Chris Pine was excellent as Kirk and added a different energy to the role without seeming completely at odds with Shatner's own, iconic version. No reason why the same couldn't happen with TNG, but it'd be very prone to failure. Stewart's Picard is a different, more subtle beast to Shatner's adventurous, big performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Brian? wrote: »
    Surely we don't need spoiler tags for series 1 at this stage?

Yeah I agree. But could be also delete the season finale and pretend it never happened?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Maybe one of the mods could edit the thread title to include probable season one spoilers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Folks, I have edited the thread title to say possible spoilers. I agree no need for tags for season 1. For season 2 stuff I would suggest a common sense approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Season 1 was sh1te, broken time.....ooh we are off to a bad start. Q won't be able to save this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

FFVII wrote: »
    Season 1 was sh1te, broken time.....ooh we are off to a bad start. Q won't be able to save this.

Therein lies the problem.
    you can throw in data, riker, troi, maddox, hugh, icheb to pack out season 1, throw Q and guinan in for season 2, but if the writing is sh1t, then the guest stars will hardly paper over the cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

do Paramount Plus on Youtube do some geo blocking with their trailers? its where the season 2 trailer should be but I cant see it listed?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

silverharp wrote: »
    do Paramount Plus on Youtube do some geo blocking with their trailers? its where the season 2 trailer should be but I cant see it listed?

Its on the last page here. But yea, its really blocked all over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Rawr

Therein lies the problem.
    you can throw in data, riker, troi, maddox, hugh, icheb to pack out season 1, throw Q and guinan in for season 2, but if the writing is sh1t, then the guest stars will hardly paper over the cracks

What's kind of frustrating is that they *nearly* stuck the landing, and then bellyflopped so badly into the pool, that the ripples of their mistakes splashed all over the earlier episodes.

Right up until the last quarter of the show, I was still on board and it still felt like ok Trek. This was "The Search for Data", with a possible Borg angle that seemed promising.

Alas, when it turned out that they had set up everything with a thinly conceived plan that they then rushed into a badly excuted ending, it was all for nothing in the end. I haven't watched Picard since, because the pay-off was just so disappointing.

I still feel that Picard should have been a swan-song for Picard. One *actually nobel* sacrifice for the sake of Galactic Peace...and *then* spin off the characters into something new. Picard's "death" ended up hollow and pointless.

I honestly hope they have learned from their mistakes...but that said...these people make Discovery :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Alex Kurtzman might be the kingmaker and we're all keen to pile on, but Picard is made by a completely different collection of individuals. Goldsman has written for both shows but IMO we should critique both shows as their own entities, and each has entirely different issues at the heart of their respective flaws. Picard had a good setup, some interesting characters but just couldn't find ways to make it all come together. Discovery is a hot mess, whirling about as a show searching for a premise, one where Poochie is its main lead.

And as batshít as that finale was, the Goodbye to Data nearly saved the episode; as an intentional attempt to reset the garbage that was Nemesis, effectively giving Data what he always wanted - to be human. I'll be honest, the room got a little dusty when we saw him age as a man.

Plus, the space flowers. I know I've said it before and it hasn't been popular with some but Star Trek always gets points when it goes hard for the Cosmic Weirdness. Cos yeah, space would be that weird. Can't articulate why that moment resonated with me, just one of those things.

And as batshít as that finale was, the Goodbye to Data nearly saved the episode; as an intentional attempt to reset the garbage that was Nemesis, effectively giving Data what he always wanted - to be human. I'll be honest, the room got a little dusty when we saw him age as a man.

Plus, the space flowers. I know I've said it before and it hasn't been popular with some but Star Trek always gets points when it goes hard for the Cosmic Weirdness. Cos yeah, space would be that weird.

Agreed, the goodbye to Data was one good bit of the finale. It did feel like the ending that Data deserved, and that on it's own was well handled.

Space Flowers were fine too...had a sort of TOS feel to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Alex Kurtzman might be the kingmaker and we're all keen to pile on, but Picard is made by a completely different collection of individuals. Goldsman has written for both shows but IMO we should critique both shows as their own entities, and each has entirely different issues at the heart of their respective flaws. Picard had a good setup, some interesting characters but just couldn't find ways to make it all come together. Discovery is a hot mess, whirling about as a show searching for a premise, one where Poochie is its main lead.

Plus, the space flowers. I know I've said it before and it hasn't been popular with some but Star Trek always gets points when it goes hard for the Cosmic Weirdness. Cos yeah, space would be that weird. Can't articulate why that moment resonated with me, just one of those things.

to reset the garbage that was Nemesis, effectively giving Data what he always wanted -

That's harsh.

Nemesis might not have been perfect but I disagree with it been rubbish. I would watch it before "Star Trek 2009" or "Into Darkness" before "Star Trek The Final Frontier" and maybe even before "Insurrection" even do it had some funny parts but that is where I would put Nemesis before all them films in the Trek world.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All of my speculation over season 1 was wrong, but that's not going to stop me trying.

I was wondering last night, with the "Time is broken" thing, shots of Picard apparently still in Starfleet, the Chateau empty, Seven not assimilated, are they going to do some form of tie-in with the Kelvin universe.

It hints in some respect to something happening where Starfleet get forewarning of big threats - Borg, Romulus, etc - so they end up being averted. It could also be a tie-in with Discovery, but I they didn't do that last season, and they seem to be steering very wide of it, which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,536 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's up on Star Treks Twitter pages.

It's up on Star Treks Twitter pages.

i saw it alright, but I wanted to see what kind of reaction it was getting

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

All of my speculation over season 1 was wrong, but that's not going to stop me trying.

I was wondering last night, with the "Time is broken" thing, shots of Picard apparently still in Starfleet, the Chateau empty, Seven not assimilated, are they going to do some form of tie-in with the Kelvin universe.

It hints in some respect to something happening where Starfleet get forewarning of big threats - Borg, Romulus, etc - so they end up being averted. It could also be a tie-in with Discovery, but I they didn't do that last season, and they seem to be steering very wide of it, which is a good thing.

It does kind of make you wonder about the sequence of events for Seven to have not been assimilated.

Which could mean that:

- The Hansens never traveled to the Delta Quadrant to study the Borg.
    - The El-Aurian refugees (ST: Generations) never mentioned the Borg, or even made it to Earth. (Borg records never exist to prompt the Hansens to study them).
    - The Borg incident on NX-01 never happened, or was stopped before they could transmit Earth's location to the Delta Quadrant. (Never prompting the Borg to expand in this direction.)
    - The Enterprise D's encounter with a cube at System J-25 might not have happened.

Without Seven (Annika), would this also mean that Voyager might have still gone to the Delta Quadrant, and might even still be there?
    How did Picard's career proceed without the trauma of becoming Lucutus?
    How did Sisco's life proceed without losing Jennifer at Wolf 359?
    Without Sisco, how did things go with DS9?

Would an even more powerful Dominion happen to stumble upon an un-guarded wormhole and threaten to destroy everything?

Loads of stuff to wonder about...just hope they land on something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe this is Qs way of showing Picard what would have happened had he taken the road not taken if he had stayed in Starfleet and not rescued the Romulans maybe how things might have turned out worse for the Galaxy or maybe better who knows with Q.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I cant say turning star trek into a time travel show is a positive, nothing matters if they keep shaking the sandbox

Rawr wrote: »
    It does kind of make you wonder about the sequence of events for Seven to have not been assimilated.
    Bigger event, there are no Borg. It would be a pretty big moral dilemma for Picard and Q to have to restore a galaxy to one that includes Borg because it's the correct timeline. Imagine waking up one day to a world that's much worse than the one you remember then Q shows up and says in order to set things right you must prevent one Private A. Hitler from being killed in the Battle of the Somme.

• Advertisement

I cant say turning star trek into a time travel show is a positive, nothing matters if they keep shaking the sandbox
    I do like the few road not taken episodes they've done but you're right Star Trek isn't Timecop.

a least on here you can actually criticize star trek

some trek sites have banned people for having the audacity to criticize the abysmal writing on discovery, the flaws in picard, and the nonsense that is lower decks.

if you mention anything about lgbt issues , well thats tantamount to hate speech and off you are sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Evade wrote: »
    I do like the few road not taken episodes they've done but you're right Star Trek isn't Timecop.

Unless you are these guys:
    tumblr_inline_ojozylxlg61s4qfgc_540.png

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

those guys names were anagrams of mulder and scully......^^^

there are numerous references to the x files in that episode

7of9 being de-borged suggests this won't have anything that sticks, and be a timeline that resets at the end. It'd be too radical a change. As someone mentioned maybe this will be the Kelvin'verse and we'll see where that universe goes after the events of the Abrams movies.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Unless you are these guys:
    tumblr_inline_ojozylxlg61s4qfgc_540.png
    I take it back, I probably would watch Star Trek: Temporal Investigations if a competent person was in charge.

recreated the new picard insignias.

The red star
    the ufp lapel insignia
    and the La Sirena combadge

https://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.com/search/label/LOGO%27S%20%232

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

{Giant Freakin Robot} Exclusive: Patrick Stewart Being Recast As Jean-Luc Picard

"...... has learned that Paramount wants to recast a young Picard for the movies set in the JJ Abrams universe.

One of the best ways to handle this character growth may be to introduce the new actor for a Young Jean-Luc Picard on Star Trek: Picard. Right now, Paramount has the obvious opportunity to do this. It seems like we’re likely to see a young Jean-Luc in season two of the series, since there are going to be alternate timelines and time travel involved. Q will make introducing a young Picard easy."

I thought the Abrams universe was functionally dead? Or at least, so I had hoped. I had been talking recasting Picard but from the point of view of the TV series, not the histrionic films. Would have preferred the former.

Mind you, the actual, Patrick Stewart Trek films made a bags of Picard so the bar is already quite low in "getting" the character so maybe the only way is up.

• Advertisement

I'm going to be optimistic and say it could work, young Picard was a bit insufferable so they can't exactly ruin him.

Corkie, the dark blue text is very hard to read if you use dark mode.

Advertisement