Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd be more surprised if Frakes didn't direct an episode or two; he seems more than happy to involve himself with Trek (or indeed, off brand Trek such as the Orville).

In fact the more I think of this show, the more I suspect it will mutate into a fan-fic style series of cameos: maybe that's not going to be the intention once the writers room gets together, but I could see CBS caving to fans to get them onboard.

And that will be a fecking waste.

I do agree though. This is a reaction to Orville and its nostalgia trip.
    Problem is that, while everyone fawns over Orville, they'll hammer a canonical show trying the same thing.

If Trek had launched a show like Orville we would have had so many "We've seen all of this before" comments, from the same people saying Orville is real Trek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh absolutely: had Discovery been as fawningly slavish as The Orville, it would have been eviscerated by fans for being archaic.

I'd say it's 50-50 how any cameos might go: like any bit-part, the trick is in the execution, and if the script can fashion an organic reason for (say) Admiral Riker to be involved then it won't be so bad I guess. Just looking at how severe the retrofit seems to be for Discovery - and I don't think this a bad thing mind you - it's not a leap to imagine the Picard show going to some lengths in bringing back old favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Inviere

while everyone fawns over Orville

Almost everyone :o I can't stand the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Frakes is, behind the scenes, a huge deal. I would not be surprised if he is involved in pulling it together.

http://scrolldowntoriker.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Problem is that, while everyone fawns over Orville, they'll hammer a canonical show trying the same thing.

If Trek had launched a show like Orville we would have had so many "We've seen all of this before" comments, from the same people saying Orville is real Trek

Of course but why would the new Picard show be like the Orville? It’s probably going to be a show primarily about him. He might be in a starship at some stage but it won’t be monster of the week.

• Advertisement

Of course but why would the new Picard show be like the Orville? It’s probably going to be a show primarily about him. He might be in a starship at some stage but it won’t be monster of the week.

If they cave to fan pressure it will be

And bringing back Picard is playing directly to the nostalgia being drummed up by Orville

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Having Star Trek in the name is automatically trading on nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ive a feeling it with will be a story arc season and not like the TNG approach of randomness.

My own personal ramblings....

I think he will be a professor at Starfleet academy (new set design as the Breen flattened it in DS9)

Some ancient threat will emerge (related to Discovery season2?) that he has a lot of knowledge about, iconians,etc,etc, so Starfleet gives him command of a Starship and crew to figure out a solution and save the Federation from destruction.

All Eyes On Rafah

Evade wrote: »
    Having Star Trek in the name is automatically trading on nostalgia.

Not really, you have had a Star Trek (show or film) in every decade since the 1960's.
    What you have is a TNG nostalgia being stoked by McFarlane

Not really, you have had a Star Trek (show or film) in every decade since the 1960's.
    What you have is a TNG nostalgia being stoked by McFarlane
    Having Picard in it doesn't automatically mean a return to TNG beigeness. None of the TNG movies have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Frakes is, behind the scenes, a huge deal. I would not be surprised if he is involved in pulling it together.

Myself and a friend had a very quick chat with Jonathan Frakes at the Las Vegas convention - we asked him what he was up to and he said "directing some shows... and doing something for CBS".

At the time (the Friday evening) it didn't click but now since the Patrick Stewart announcement it has us wondering :)

If they cave to fan pressure it will be

And bringing back Picard is playing directly to the nostalgia being drummed up by Orville

No. It has nothing to do with the Orville. He’s going to be a retired octogenarian. He’s not piloting a ship as a captain like Kirk, or his younger self.

And what fan pressure? The fans weren’t pushing for him to return. This show can stand in its own two feet.

You’ve been assuming the conclusion all this thread. It ain’t be like the Orville or a TNG reboot.

I'm so sorry for upsetting you by discussing things on a discussion forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If reports are true and CBS have a half dozen Trek shows planned, it stands to reason they need to court the existing fanbase to make them successes. That's a leap of course - they could just nuke the canon and say to hell with fans - but it doesn't feel like a huge one either.

Discovery got off to a pretty ropey start in that regard, and irrespective of the shows actual quality it divided fans quite severely. You can see by the trailer and mutterings from the production crew that season 2 will involve course correction.

It follows that the next Trek might aim to start from a fan friendlier point of view, tone or approach and the very casting of Stewart speaks to that IMO. Dragging him back comes off like an olive branch, and acknowledgement of what fans might like to see.

If reports are true and CBS have a half dozen Trek shows planned, it stands to reason they need to court the existing fanbase to make them successes. That's a leap of course - they could just nuke the canon and say to hell with fans - but it doesn't feel like a huge one either.

Discovery got off to a pretty ropey start in that regard, and irrespective of the shows actual quality it divided fans quite severely. You can see by the trailer and mutterings from the production crew that season 2 will involve course correction.

It follows that the next Trek might aim to start from a fan friendlier point of view, tone or approach and the very casting of Stewart speaks to that IMO. Dragging him back comes off like an olive branch, and acknowledgement of what fans might like to see.

Nobody wants to see Picard replicating his younger self. In fact there wasn’t any fan demand for his return. There’s no audience for an octogenarian piloting a starship.

It will be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Space.com have some interesting suggestions or ideas on the new show.

https://www.space.com/41473-star-trek-picard-series-bold-new-ideas.html

Personally I love number two. Hilarious.

"Returning to Earth and retiring from Starfleet, Picard has finally accepted that job offer that his old boyhood friend Louis made to him to take over the Atlantis Project (TNG episode "Family"). CBS pounces on the opportunity for a franchise crossover and simultaneously reboots the underwater sci-fi series "Seaquest DSV" in association with Universal."

or Number 10

"Picard marries Lwaxana Troi, and they open a modest hotel in the popular seaside town of Torqee, on Rigel VII. Together, with their inept Ferengi waiter, Mahvel, they struggle to not only run the business but maintain their sanity as chaos frequently ensues. Just don't mention the war when the Klingons come to stay"

All Eyes On Rafah

Nobody wants to see Picard replicating his younger self. In fact there wasn’t any fan demand for his return. There’s no audience for an octogenarian piloting a starship.

It will be something else.

Don't think anyone has said he'll be replicating anything, nor believes this Picard will still be gallivanting across the galaxy - beyond perhaps a 'retirement' commission. More likely he'll start off in academia or a teaching role given the character's prior characterisation. Definitely the less budget intensive option.

There has been a generally positive reception to the news, if a little tinged with caution, so clearly there's enough goodwill to float the idea far enough into execution. Returning to an old character is hardly a bold, unforeseen move in any franchise - and against the other Trek decisions by CBS points to an attempt to back-peddle a little from the tonal choices of the first few episodes of Discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would of had no problem with it. Some of the stories in the Orviller are actually very good and very like some from TNG.

I would of had no problem if a new Star Trek show had of been like the Orville but without the stupidness and the vulgar language. Star Trek can do humour. Plenty of episodes in Star Trek that have scenes that are funny.
    Space.com have some interesting suggestions or ideas on the new show.

https://www.space.com/41473-star-trek-picard-series-bold-new-ideas.html

Personally I love number two. Hilarious.

"Returning to Earth and retiring from Starfleet, Picard has finally accepted that job offer that his old boyhood friend Louis made to him to take over the Atlantis Project (TNG episode "Family"). CBS pounces on the opportunity for a franchise crossover and simultaneously reboots the underwater sci-fi series "Seaquest DSV" in association with Universal."

or Number 10

"Picard marries Lwaxana Troi, and they open a modest hotel in the popular seaside town of Torqee, on Rigel VII. Together, with their inept Ferengi waiter, Mahvel, they struggle to not only run the business but maintain their sanity as chaos frequently ensues. Just don't mention the war when the Klingons come to stay"

I like number 3

Picard is a senior politician/ambassador and returns after a long period away from Earth to discover the Federation has been sliding away from its utopian ideals. This would take the form of a politically driven drama, reflecting in science fiction many of the issues facing the world today, as "Star Trek" has done successfully time and time again.

and number 5 myself.

Picard has become the president of the United Federation of Planets, and in a tense "West Wing"-style drama, we follow him through political turmoil on a truly cosmic scale as he negotiates peace treaties with the Kazon, arranges trade deals with the Tamarians and saves Sector 001 from all out war with Species 8472.
    Although I would chance the Kazon for another race maybe the Vidiians or the Hirogen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

IvySlayer wrote: »
    giphy.gif

♪ Captain! Jean-luc Pi-card! Of the U-S-S En-ter-prise! ♪

I wouldn't mind if Picard was fully retired pottering around after archaeological mysteries like Professor Galen in the Chase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

What I could personally see Jean Luc's best role is one incorporating an aspect of weeding out "unworthies" of the Starfleet uniform.
    He gave Cadet Crusher a good and proper dressing down, and made clear that Crusher's carreer was on a knife edge. Crusher made it, but only just.
    Picard has also asked Worf if he wanted to resign.
    A precedent to this was Spock stripping Officer Valeris of her stripes in the "Undiscovered country"
    Then there seems to have been a lot of jolting for supermacy in the Starfleet admirality: Kirk was an admiral, albeit very briefly.
    My take.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The more I think about it the more that I feel I'd prefer a show where Picard is fully retired from Starfleet. If he's still in uniform in some regard it will feel too much like retreading old ground. But if it's just his personal adventures then it will widen the scope for more interesting stories but still have the potential for Picard to 'check in' to see how his old shipmates are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Inviere

Greyjoy wrote: »
    If he's still in uniform in some regard it will feel too much like retreading old ground

100%

Plus, it wouldn't play into the whole "this is a different Picard, 20 years will have passed" teaser that Stewart hinted at. I'd believe Stewart too, because if it's got as far as him making a personal announcement, they've almost certainly agreed to what he wants from this project, which, I fear, will ultimately be the passing of Picard :(

But him being an Admiral, Ambassador, or teaching at the Academy, are scenarios I find very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What do people think of this guys theory, that the Picard series will be used to wipe out the prime timeline completely.

14.25 into here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLl17YXrAZY

Midnights Edge. Even before I clicked on the link I thought "that has to be that guy".

All we know for sure is: it's a new show; it'll star Picard 20 years after Nemesis. Beyond that is rank speculation given its highly likely they haven't even convened a writers room to spitball the premise.

Besides, you can't completely wipe a timeline out, not unless they nuke the whole universe but yeeesh, that's a bit grim.

Besides, you can't completely wipe a timeline out, not unless they nuke the whole universe but yeeesh, that's a bit grim.
    They do already have a plot device for that in STD. I can see a case for a hard reboot and getting away from continuity to do something fresh but if they did a reboot I imagine all they'll do is recast existing characters a la the JJverse instead of doing it the right way and make some new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

Evade wrote: »
    a la the JJverse instead of doing it the right way and make some new ones.

Why are they so stubborn that they won't listen to the huge fanbase that is there? Imo most fans would prefer the 'same old same old' post nemesis over anything prequel or not-startrek.

FGR wrote: »
    Why are they so stubborn that they won't listen to the huge fanbase that is there? Imo most fans would prefer the 'same old same old' post nemesis over anything prequel or not-startrek.

Because the fans are not enough in number to make enough money to warrant investment.

The "fans" are also incessant cry-babies, slavishly devoted to all things canonical.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Because the fans are not enough in number to make enough money to warrant investment.
    The "fans" are also incessant cry-babies, slavishly devoted to all things canonical.

Ah, wasn't Discovery launched on a pay channel because CBS reckoned there would be enough fans?
    Seems like they are our loyal fans when they are looking for money, and slavishly devoted cry babies when they exercise their critical faculties!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

They banked on fans liking it just because it has Star Trek in the title.

Advertisement