Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Ah, wasn't Discovery launched on a pay channel because CBS reckoned there would be enough fans?
    Seems like they are our loyal fans when they are looking for money, and slavishly devoted cry babies when they exercise their critical faculties!

They tried something new with Discovery and what happened?
    These ****wits still want beeping consoles and cheap sets.

Scream bloody murder because they change the Klingons (ignoring that there have been at least 3 versions previously)

Give out stink about unheard of tech being shown, even though it was proven to not work safely and scrapped (ignoring the scrapping of Transwarp drive from th films)

Discovery is not perfect, by far, but this idea that they can easily move on with the story and gather new fans (while still having to navigate the minefield of canon) is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What are you, one of the inept writers of Discovery?
    It's not enough to try something new. You have to be good, and if you're setting a story in an existing 'universe', show some respect and awareness for what's gone before - and what worked.

If you want to go off the reservation, don't write a Star Trek series, write your own one. And even by that measure, forgetting anything that went before with Star Trek, Discovery was decidedly a mixed bag.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What are you, one of the inept writers of Discovery?
    It's not enough to try something new. You have to be good, and if you're setting a story in an existing 'universe', show some respect and awareness for what's gone before - and what worked.

If you want to go off the reservation, don't write a Star Trek series, write your own one. And even by that measure, forgetting anything that went before with Star Trek, Discovery was decidedly a mixed bag.

Right, because TNG had sooo much in common with TOS.
    DS9 had completely different story telling, feel, and atmosphere to either.

Voyager tried to replicate TNG and got slated for it generally.

Trek fans will demand a post TNG era show then hammer it for being too beholden to canon (and/or not being beholden enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

They aped the Dominion War from DS9 with none of the build up, not exactly original and I doubt you can find anyone who wanted the sets to look exactly like they did in TOS.

Right, because TNG had sooo much in common with TOS.

It did really. You can see the continuity from TOS series to films to TNG, as much as humanly possible for a series filmed across four decades of changing circumstances in the real world.

I'm not sure what show you watched, or even if you watched it. You seem to have a lot of opinions about Trek shows yet mouth off about Trek fans. So either you didn't watch it yet have very strong opinions about it; or did watch hundreds of episodes yet somehow aren't a Trek fan yet come onto a Trek forum giving out about 'Trek' fans. I don't know what to make of those attitudes so will direct my conversation to sincere Trek fans from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't agree TOS and TNG were tonally similar at all; the original 60s series was a swashbuckling tale of space adventure, mixed with goofy, of the time sciFi cliches. Next gen, and Roddenbury, pulled the brakes and openly favoured the more pacifist diplomatic routes over visceral action. Heck it was why the writing room was such a disaster in season 1, the writers unable to make stories work with no conflict. It was that 'boardroom' drama that made the movie adaptations of Next Gen all the more jarring. Kirk would have suffocated in this Federation.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't agree TOS and TNG were tonally similar at all; the original 60s series was a swashbuckling tale of space adventure, mixed with goofy, of the time sciFi cliches. Next gen, and Roddenbury, pulled the brakes and openly favoured the more pacifist diplomatic routes over visceral action. Heck it was why the writing room was such a disaster in season 1, the writers unable to make stories work with no conflict. It was that 'boardroom' drama that made the movie adaptations of Next Gen all the more jarring. Kirk would have suffocated in this Federation.

I wouldn't have expected the Federation to continue as it was across the eras exactly. It would mature. Just as say US foreign policy differed from Teddy Roosevelt to FDR. Teddy Roosevelt would have suffocated in Eisenhower America too.
    But I could see how the TOS federation could become the TNG federation, technologically and culturally and how the alien species we saw in TOS could develop into their TNG representations - that's the continuity.
    Discovery doesn't fit either with TOS or TNG on any of those measures for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Was just reading there that Brent Spinet who recently signed on to season four of supergirl has dropped out and been replaced with Bruce Boxleitner due to “scheduling reasons “. Probably not related to Picard show but can’t help but wonder. It was only announced last week or something he would be on supergirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Was just reading there that Brent Spinet who recently signed on to season four of supergirl has dropped out and been replaced with Bruce Boxleitner due to “scheduling reasons “. Probably not related to Picard show but can’t help but wonder. It was only announced last week or something he would be on supergirl.

Actually it was three weeks ago that it was announced he would be joining the Supergirl cast. .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It did really. You can see the continuity from TOS series to films to TNG, as much as humanly possible for a series filmed across four decades of changing circumstances in the real world.

I'm not sure what show you watched, or even if you watched it. You seem to have a lot of opinions about Trek shows yet mouth off about Trek fans. So either you didn't watch it yet have very strong opinions about it; or did watch hundreds of episodes yet somehow aren't a Trek fan yet come onto a Trek forum giving out about 'Trek' fans. I don't know what to make of those attitudes so will direct my conversation to sincere Trek fans from now on.

I'm a Trek fan alright. Not a lot of time for the over entitled "fans" who think that their view of Trek is the one true way.

Two posts now where you've gone to attack me as opposed to the comments, nice.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have expected the Federation to continue as it was across the eras exactly. It would mature. Just as say US foreign policy differed from Teddy Roosevelt to FDR. Teddy Roosevelt would have suffocated in Eisenhower America too.
    But I could see how the TOS federation could become the TNG federation, technologically and culturally and how the alien species we saw in TOS could develop into their TNG representations - that's the continuity.
    Discovery doesn't fit either with TOS or TNG on any of those measures for me.

Yet it fits perfectly well with a Federation that was happy to allow a genocide of the Founders homeworld.
    Allowed Sisko poison an entire planet.
    Looked the other way as S31 poisoned the Founders.
    A Federation happy to let S31 exist at all.
    Fits a Starfleet easily led to militarily controlling Earth.
    A Federation willing to cut off entire planets and brand their inhabitants as terrorists, for refusing to bow down to Cardassian rule

Or do you also discount DS9?

Ms

Yet it fits perfectly well with a Federation that was happy to allow a genocide of the Founders homeworld.
    Looked the other way as S31 poisoned the Founders.
    A Federation willing to cut off entire planets and brand their inhabitants as terrorists, for refusing to bow down to Cardassian rule

Or do you also discount DS9?

I think most people in the Federation except for S31 and the highest officers knew of any attempt by the Federation to commit genocide. I think most in the Federation would be against it.
    I think S31 is a necessary evil. Sure it would be better if it did not exist but then the Federation might end up having spy's from other races on the inside that want to take it down or learn its secrets. Its there to stop these and other threats that can not be done under the normal Federation rules. Its a bit like the FBI or MI5. There is lots there spy's do that we will never know about.

I think most people in the Federation would be unhappy about it but very few in it know about it.

Earth was not militarily controlled and neither was Starfleet or the Federation.

The people on them planets were/are given a choice to leave the planet and go to a planet somewhere else in the Federation or stay on the planet under Cardassian rule.
    They only became terrorists when they refused to do either and started attacking Cardassian ships and bases.

I think Sisko had just gone a bit AWOL here and don't think the Federation would be to happy about it at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »

I think most people in the Federation except for S31 and the highest officers knew of any attempt by the Federation to commit genocide. I think most in the Federation would be against it.
    I think S31 is a necessary evil. Sure it would be better if it did not exist but then the Federation might end up having spy's from other races on the inside that want to take it down or learn its secrets. Its there to stop these and other threats that can not be done under the normal Federation rules. Its a bit like the FBI or MI5. There is lots there spy's do that we will never know about.

I think most people in the Federation would be unhappy about it but very few in it know about it.

Earth was not militarily controlled and neither was Starfleet or the Federation.

The people on them planets were/are given a choice to leave the planet and go to a planet somewhere else in the Federation or stay on the planet under Cardassian rule.
    They only became terrorists when they refused to do either and started attacking Cardassian ships and bases.

I think Sisko had just gone a bit AWOL here and don't think the Federation would be to happy about it at all.

Except that Many in the upper echelons know about S31 and do nothing (just like Discovery's upper ranks allowing a bombing of Qo'noS)
    Starfleet Intelligence is meant to be the Spy agency. S31 is off the books

TOS had a massive conspiracy of Rank officers collude with Klingons to start a war.
    DS9 had Earth placed under martial law.

Again not saying the populations would have accepted but the "Federation" did it, much like the actions of Starfleet in Discovery.

So it's ok for the Federation to force entire planets to evacuate, refuse to allow them leave the Federation, and then call them terrorists for protecting their homes?

Was Sisko charged, demoted, relieved of command?

What I am saying is that for all the cries of "The Federation would never be so naughty, and I don't like it", we have multiple examples of just that.
    Upper level decisions which would horrify (or at the least ferment protest) the majority of Starfleet and Federation civilians.
    Discovery is telling a story from deep with in one of these stories, as opposed to from the outside perspective of the regular protagonists.

Oh and to Clarify, I do think that the Federation would of course have a S31
    I understand the twisted logic in Starfleet officers thinking they needed to take control of Earth
    The Maquis is a hard one as one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, especially as they were protrayed in Trek.

I just don't understand the gnashing of teeth about Discovery investigating this side of the Federation

• Registered Users Posts: 60,536 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reunion pic.

DmJNZVDUYAAO-_7.jpg

Is that red eye or did Locutus of Borg photo bomb that shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Could someone post a direct link? I can't see it on my browser.

Evade wrote: »
    Could someone post a direct link? I can't see it on my browser.

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/9cipl4/marina_sirtis_on_twitter_the_gangs_all_here_well/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Inviere

Burton looks very close to how he did in All Good Things!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Notice the two upgraded tricorders on the table :pac:

• Advertisement

Notice the two upgraded tricorders on the table :pac:

Must be a good vintage of the Chateau Picard also :)

Ms

Notice that Jonathon Frakes was not there. He must have been busy somewhere else unless it was him taking the picture.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Well, we have some confirmation on the setting. As suspected, they're putting the story right on the turn of the 25th century - 2399:

https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/10/year-for-setting-of-star-trek-picard-show-established-storyline-teased-by-ep/

I think I'd suggested earlier, this could be a good way to bring in a new 25th century series.

Not much else of substance in there, despite a supposed plot hint from Chabon about "metamorphs" which is pretty cryptic. Maybe a Dominion element?

Well, we have some confirmation on the setting. As suspected, they're putting the story right on the turn of the 25th century - 2399:

https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/10/year-for-setting-of-star-trek-picard-show-established-storyline-teased-by-ep/

I think I'd suggested earlier, this could be a good way to bring in a new 25th century series.

Not much else of substance in there, despite a supposed plot hint from Chabon about "metamorphs" which is pretty cryptic. Maybe a Dominion element?

Picard is cracking on with Famke Janssen, the sly dog

Ms

Would be great to see Star Trek back where it should be in the far future showing he potential for what the human race could become if we all work together instead of fighting over stupid things.
    I I think it would be great if after the Picard series or even during it we get a 25th century series set on a new ship and it does not need to be the Enterprise but it would be cool if we could get to see an appearance or two from the Enterprise of the time. It could be a great way to see maybe some of the younger characters from Voyager, DS9 and TNG as well maybe as captains and engineers now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just don't **** all over the timeline create by STO*, a lot of it is actually decent and sensible (the background buildup).

*yeah I know it's not canon

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Path_to_2409

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just don't **** all over the timeline create by STO*, a lot of it is actually decent and sensible (the background buildup).

*yeah I know it's not canon

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Path_to_2409

STO is quite enjoyable. Was great having loads of the DS9 cast back for the new missions.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't think i've ever been as disappointed with an MMO as i was with STO. It had it's good points, but i had always pictured Eve with a better combat system. Instead we got the weird hybrid, with an awful sector space and atrocious player combat (star ship combat was decent).

None of that will be taken into account in a new show though. It's all pretty mental...like something out of Memory Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Interesting fan treatment of the potential new Picard series by the guys from Red Letter Media.

They have some great ideas to be fair. I'd love to see more of a galaxy class star ship with updated visuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Advertisement