Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chugging car

• 05-08-2018 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I have a 05 opel astra 1.4 last wk while driving the engine overheat light came on I zipped off the dual carriageway got to a garage waited a while got water and coolant put them in drove back about 10 mins then the same thing happened got breakdown assist out it was dropped at the garage....the hose going from the engine to the radiator was blown I was charged for the hose oil coolant diagnostics for 240 euro but since picking up my car it's been chugging I was going away this wknd but had to turn back as the engine was losing power then it seemed to right itself but now it's chugging again I have it booked to go back again to the garage....anyone out there willing to give me advice and also how to deal with the garage as I never had this problem of chugging before??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Coolant starvation might have wrecked the engine when issue first occured. Is coolant gone from the car again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shivbabe

Coolant starvation might have wrecked the engine when issue first occured. Is coolant gone from the car again?

No I checked that but will put more in tmrw thanks 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

The head gasket is blown, those astras cannot deal with any form of overheating and unfortunately that coolant pipe bursting is very common

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rex-x wrote: »
    The head gasket is blown, those astras cannot deal with any form of overheating and unfortunately that coolant pipe bursting is very common

Seems likely alright.

What does seem odd is the garage not noticing this, or testing for it. There is no way that engine ran okay in the garage when oil and coolant were changed. Not that it changes the end result here...

Advertisement