Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of properties are millennials investing in?

Options
  • 05-08-2018 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey all,

So yeah, I'm curious to what kind of properties millennials are interested in these days. I haven't been able to find any studies that reveal this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Millennials again... There's a lot of people in that category.

Anywhere from zero(living with the parents) to many million euro homes. Some living in Dublin, others living in other counties.

Welcome to boards by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭thefa

Millenials would throw up a mix of results since you could have some pre-bust, many over the past few years acquiring property and a good portion not owning.

Not in a position myself as of yet but have 4 first cousins that have all purchased a 3 bed house (or similar) in the suburbs of the major cities in the last few years. All have good dual incomes in their early-mid thirties starting young families.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rmorrissey63

tedpan wrote: »
    Millennials again... There's a lot of people in that category.

Anywhere from zero(living with the parents) to many million euro homes. Some living in Dublin, others living in other counties.

Welcome to boards by the way.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Most people buying house/apartments (millennials or otherwise) aren't "investing in property", they're buying homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Can they afford homes? With all their acacado and toast and flat whites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The oldest “millennials” are close to 40 now, while the youngest are 25ish. That’s a broad range to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rmorrissey63

Graham wrote: »
    Most people buying house/apartments (millennials or otherwise) aren't "investing in property", they're buying homes.

I have a bad habit of misusing the word "investing", my bad. I mean what form of homes they're purchasing and if they're paying rent or a mortgage.

And yeah, I've seen people such as Grant Cardone say the same thing you say that millennials are holding off starting a family until their mid 30s/early 40s compared to the baby boomers who started a family really early in their 20s or early 30s which means there is huge opportunity for investing in multi-family properties like duplexes.

Inflatables?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

As a millennial I bought a small 3 bed semi. Was buying at time there was few uncertainties so went location over size to be safe. House is fine but size wise not sure it'll work if there's kids down the line. I bought in 2016. I'd say house is now worth same as it was back then (cork city). I think if I was buying again I'd have just waited until things are more settled like they are now and just bought long term home. Trading up awkward as no bridging loans so almost have to sell then buy again which is awkward. The one thing I'm happy with is cost of mortgage is lot less than I'd pay to rent same place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why the interest in millennial?
    And I’m obviously not one, as my next question is WTF is a millennial???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kceire wrote: »
    Why the interest in millennial?
    And I’m obviously not one, as my next question is WTF is a millennial???

It means "young adult". The term is designed to irritate older adults, so that may help anyone wondering whether they meet the definition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lumen wrote: »
    It means "young adult". The term is designed to irritate older adults, so that may help anyone wondering whether they meet the definition.

That's me rightly screwed then :)

Advertisement