Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limit thread creation to new users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If ye don't like it just hit 'ignore' or avoid the thread altogether. There could be plenty of decent posters out there who would be sitting in a void if we are to have your system introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A thousand posts is a bit much id say.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

A thousand posts is a bit much id say.

yeah you could half it at least or to 200.
    But there's a lot of rubbish going around.
    More rubbish =more data = more costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If ye don't like it just hit 'ignore' ....

If you have a poster on ignore, does that hide threads they have started aswell?

EDIT: no, it just kinda hides the first post when you open the thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

and what's wrong with those threads anyway, a bit of irreverent, light-hearted craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

The first thread in the op is nonsense alright but the other two have potential to be somewhat entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Blazer wrote: »
    yeah you could half it at least or to 200.
    But there's a lot of rubbish going around.
    More rubbish =more data = more costs.

You have been heer 12 years, have 17k posts and from what i can see you have created 160 threads.

If you for whatever reason decided you wanted to close your account (as sone have done) and start fresh wth a new one you would have to post 200 times before being allowed to start a thread.

I dont think the idea would go down too well. Also isnt there already a post limit before some one can start a thread (60 posts/or 3 months)?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yes, a system like this would stop crap from reregs, but I think it wouldn't be very welcoming to genuine new users. Because they can't start a new thread, they would search and ask their question in a 10 year old thread. The mods would close it, and the new user would go "screw this" and never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mr E wrote: »
    Yes, a system like this would stop crap from reregs, but I think it wouldn't be very welcoming to genuine new users. Because they can't start a new thread, they would search and ask their question in a 10 year old thread. The mods would close it, and the new user would go "screw this" and never come back.
    This is a personal view,
    I was all ready to shoot down Blazer's idea as a bit daft and unworkable but then I realised AH is not a forum for people to ask questions like you would in consumer,accommodation,pets etc.

I think an X number of posts might work or a system where someone with under the X new thread is cached for approval from a mod,cmod,admin. If its a stupid thread it stays where it is. If its oa genuine query that needs to be somewhere else it could be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Of course I browse boards through the old beta style as its far easier to navigate forums. The new beta is horrendous I find which could be offputting to a log of new users trying to find their way around.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Blazer, thanks for your Feedback.

While I can see the benefit in making life a little more difficult for re-reg trolls, we could lose out on interesting contributions from genuine new users. Sometimes those throwaway can result in some very amusing responses. Sometimes they're a lost cause, but I'm sure people could point to users who would be above the threshold that post terrible threads too :)

Thanks for your feedback on the site layout. Many would be used to the Legacy site, but making it as accessible as possible across platforms and versions is certainly something that we need to look at.

Advertisement