Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas hopping, Dutch gold drinking Shane Ross goes after motorists licences again.

• 05-08-2018 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He's at it again from his public transport served high horse..

"It will be graduated, the more you break the speed limit the more you’ll be punished – there will be higher penalty points, certainly.”

"Motorists who break the speed limit could also find themselves banned from driving after just one offence."

http://www.thejournal.ie/graduated-speeding-laws-4163815-Aug2018/

So 1 offence and you could be off the road, again a disproportionate attack on people not served by the Luas or Dublin bus.

DChv_Wdr_W0_AEb_H2_N.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t see the problem with that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

Why can't he just take a leaf out of Enda Kenny's book, and just do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

If you don't want a penalty then don't speed. It's fairly straight forward.
    If it helps to brings road deaths down then that's brilliant.
    Seems to me that there is something in the news about people being killed on the roads every couple of days lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So the more you break the speed limit the higher the punishment.
    Which is already standard practice in many eu countries.
    And this is bad how?
    The politicians in this country are screwed if they do something and screwed if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I'd be in favour, I'll reserve judgement until I see his actual proposals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sounds reasonable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Don't see anything about the law just being applied to Dublin.

I'm assuming you heard this wrong and this is nationwide.

On,and one offense of speeding could also kill people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

Are the people that don’t live near the LUAS or bus stops allowed to drive faster that the rest?

New one on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why is he promoting alcohol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should be salary based, a days salary as fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Allinall wrote: »
    Are the people that don’t live near the LUAS or bus stops allowed to drive faster that the rest?

New one on me.

It's about the punishment being life changing for someone outside Dublin, Shane Ross could lose his licence in the morning and life wouldn't change for him, he's got the most comprehensive public transport system in the country outside his door.
    He's like a little gourier throwing stones and running off knowing none will ever hit him.

An "attack" for crying out loud. There are signs all over the place stating the speed limit, just don't speed. It isn't difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's about the punishment being life changing for someone outside Dublin, Shane Ross could lose his licence in the morning and life wouldn't change for him, he's got the most comprehensive public transport system in the country outside his door.
    He's like a little gourier throwing stones and running off knowing none will ever hit him.

I live near the LUAS, and would be very much in favour of a graduated fine and points system for speeding.

Does that make me a gourier (sic) ?

Don't break the speed limit and you won't have an issue, wherever you live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Prison sentences or fines or any other punishment affect somebody's life too. By OP's logic these shouldn't be enforced either.

As the saying goes: If you can't do the time...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Will this apply to our "yellow reg" speedsters too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It should be salary based, a days salary as fine.
    It's up to a week here in London.. If your on the motorway you can really get hammered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

It's about the punishment being life changing for someone outside Dublin, Shane Ross could lose his licence in the morning and life wouldn't change for him, he's got the most comprehensive public transport system in the country outside his door. He's like a little gourier throwing stones and running off knowing none will ever hit him.

I live outside Dublin ,10 miles from the nearest town. Driving for over 20 years. Got caught speeding 18 years ago. Never happened again. Not really hard to obey the law. Makes the road safer for everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Then people should respect their privilege to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Graduated fines mean that rich people are punished as opposed to seeing fines as occasional fees they need to do something.
    It's about the punishment being life changing for someone outside Dublin
    Collisions can be life changing for several people at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's up to a week here in London.. If your on the motorway you can really get hammered!

No drink driving penalties over there?

Then people should respect their privilege to drive.

The point is we don't all have the same privilege when caught and lose our licence. His job as minister for transport should be to ensure we all have a functional public transport system that doesn't only work for Dubliners.

I'd think this is a great idea if I had Luas or Dublin bus near me, sure what about losing your licence I can just get the tram to work, might even have a few Dutch gold on the way home.

The point is we don't all have the same privilege when caught and lose our licence. His job as minister for transport should be to ensure we all have a functional public transport system that doesn't only work for Dubliners.

I'd think this is a great idea if I had Luas or Dublin bus near me, sure what about losing your licence I can just get the tram to work, might even have a few Dutch gold on the way home.

Is not losing your license an option?

I agree regarding public transport but how this can be seen as anything but a good idea is beyond me.

In your opinion who would have the biggest life changing consequences of speeding?

- The victim?

- The driver?

- The victims family?

-:The drivers family,

If this law reduces speeding then it will be an effective law .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I live outside Dublin ,10 miles from the nearest town. Driving for over 20 years. Got caught speeding 18 years ago. Never happened again. Not really hard to obey the law. Makes the road safer for everyone.

Similar to my experience.

Although I still resent the fine that I got for going down the Finglas Bypass at 55 kph at 07.00 on a bright Sunday morning without another car or pedestrian in sight. I blame the Garda Commissioner for not cancelling my speeding fine! There's not much point in being the boss of a corrupt police force, if it's not equally corrupt for every citizen!

Turnipman wrote:
    Similar to my experience.

20 quid fine. No points at the time.

In your opinion who would have the biggest life changing consequences of speeding?

- The victim?

- The driver?

- The victims family?

-The drivers family,

If this law reduces speeding then it will be an effective law .

That's an enormous logical jump in the discussion whereby you are now positing that every incidence of speeding will leads to a victim. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So 1 offence and you could be off the road, again a disproportionate attack on people not served by the Luas or Dublin bus.

So many things wrong with that one sentence.

Firstly, it's aiming to be proportionate, that's the point.

Secondly, people served by the Luas and bus have been known to break speed limits too and will also fall under the same proposed laws. I bet that blows your mind.

It is just slightly unreasonable to suggest that there is ever going to be equivalent access to public transport in urban and rural areas. With limited funds available for investment, it is not unreasonable to maximise returns/benefits in high population areas.

It is more than slightly unreasonable to hold this up as a reason for not progressing with anti drink driving legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Damien360

This makes common sense.

I would like to see :

Bigger fine for more speed with reference to zone. So 130 in a 50 is a huge fine and 130 in a 120 zone is normal fine. This is what is being discussed.

But, as usual, the only people that will pay are those employed. I can't see OAP's and those on social welfare paying the bigger fines. The government will fear the grey vote and there will be get out clauses in this and the whole thing will fall apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldn't be in favour of something that allows instant loss of licence if X over the limit. I have no points currently however I will admit given an empty, dry motorway, I will likely be over the speed limit. To bring in legislation to take away your licence in one go would certainly change driving habits of many but I wouldn't be in favour.
    If one is deemed to be law abiding doing 120 on a wet crowded motorway driving a 20 year old micra that is running out of nct, I believe there is room for some tolerance re speed in good conditions without it automatically being claimed to be dangerous so while graduated Penalty is a reasonable idea, I certainly like to see a requirement for court appearance before licence could be lost so that circumstances could be argued.
    In addition, if graduated penalty is introduced, surely minor offences will be treated as such and given only a small cash fine.

Hurrache wrote: »
    So many things wrong with that one sentence.

Firstly, it's aiming to be proportionate, that's the point.

Secondly, people served by the Luas and bus have been known to break speed limits too and will also fall under the same proposed laws. I bet that blows your mind.

Your missing it, the punishment isn't proportional. Yes they both lose their licence but the after effects are completely different depending on your location.
    So it's not fair to say they face the same punishment if convicted.

Turnipman wrote: »
    That's an enormous logical jump in the discussion whereby you are now positing that every incidence of speeding will leads to a victim. :(

And to add that richer drivers cause more victims by some of the logic here.

So you want something built into the law that if you live beside a busstop the law doesn't apply to you the same way to those on a route?

Ridiculous. But the Healy-Raes will be in touch soon looking for your vote.

If you get banned and can't use public transport, you've only yourself to blame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I love the way OP thinks that public transport in Dublin is actually any good.

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to realise there's still parts of Dublin served neither by Dublin Bus, Irish Rail or the Luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope one day people will realise this island is more than just one city :rolleyes:

On topic, don't speed.
    They are not doing this to piss you off, they are doing so you won't kill other people around you.

It may not be great, but outside Dublin in the rest of the country it's terrible or non existent.

It may not be great, but outside Dublin in the rest of the country it's terrible or non existent.
    Have you heard about Irish Rail and Bus Eireann?

Have you heard about the Rural Transport schemes?

biko wrote: »
    They are not doing this to piss you off, they are doing so you won't kill other people around you.

• Advertisement

Have you heard BE and closing several of its stops between Galway and Dublin?
    None around where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Have you looked at an Irish Rail route map lately?

Have you heard BE and closing several of its stops between Galway and Dublin?

What were the usage numbers on the closed stops?

None around where I live.

They are pretty much everywhere: https://locallink.ie/

Turnipman wrote: »

Where did I say that every incident of speeding leads to a victim?

I deliberately used the word victim to highlight the instances where there is a victim.

I didn't refer to instances where there are no victims. (Although the driver is still wrong in these instances )

I assumed people would get this from my post,however being pedantic I suppose I should change two things :-

- use the word "potential "

-use the word "victims"

- use the word "killed"

- use the word "injured "

What were the usage numbers on the closed stops?
    Enough that there was a protest of a hundred people on the 6 one news last week
    They are pretty much everywhere:

Maybe they are but again not in the area I live in. Everyone here both young and old are car dependant.

They are pretty much everywhere: https://locallink.ie/

Did you even look at the route map and time schedule, better still can you even find it?
    Explain to me how you get from Clonoulty to work in Roscrea for 9 without a car?
    It's 10km shorter distance than Greystones to Swords which you can take the dart to. So the person losing their licence in the public transport area can survive without a car but the rural person will lose their job as they can't get to work. You think that's fair and equal punishment, I certainly don't.
    Level the playing field then bring in all the laws you want but don't unfairly punish one guy over the other.

Have you looked at an Irish Rail route map lately?
    Yeah, I have - have you looked at usage numbers?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/railway-line-is-costing-550-per-passenger-to-run-1.2867906

Where did I say that every incident of speeding leads to a victim?

I deliberately used the word victim to highlight the instances where there is a victim.

I didn't refer to instances where there are no victims. (Although the driver is still wrong in these instances )

I assumed people would get this from my post,however being pedantic I suppose I should change two things :-

- use the word "potential "

-use the word "victims"

- use the word "killed"

- use the word "injured "

Not for a second did I think that you had accidentally used the word "victim" - I merely thought that you had made a post so cringingly stupid that you needed to be pulled up on it.

Have you ever heard the old adage "when you're explaining, you're losing"?

Have you looked at the prices, I paid €65 euro for my last return ticket, for less time on a train than it takes to get from Greystones to Ballybriggin which is €10.90 return.
    What's the minister for transport doing about that, feck all that's what he's doing.

Did you even look at the route map and time schedule, better still can you even find it?
    Explain to me how you get from Clonoulty to work in Roscrea for 9 without a car?
    It's 10km shorter distance than Greystones to Swords which you can take the dart to. So the person losing their licence in the public transport area can survive without a car but the rural person will lose their job as they can't get to work. You think that's fair and equal punishment, I certainly don't.
    Level the playing field then bring in all the laws you want but don't unfairly punish one guy over the other.

The punishment is equal, the fact that you, or someone, lives in an area not better served by public transport is nothing to do with laws regarding speeding and having your license revoked. Again, don't speed, don't lose your license. It's astonishing that you can't grasp this basic concept. If you break the law you better be ready to bear the consequences should you lose your license.

• Advertisement
Advertisement