Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill/remove roots

Options
  • 05-08-2018 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

The bed at the bottom of my garden has all manner of scrub growing in it, from the previous owner.

One of the things growing is a mint plant/bush. It seems to have a hundred stems, fibrous, woody, maybe a centimetre thick. I cut it back to the ground last year and thought that'd slow it, but it was twice as big this year, huge thing.

I tried grabbing bunches of it and pulling from the ground, but it's well stuck in. I've now got it cut back to the ground again. How do I kill this thing or remove it all?

I'm not averse to drowning it in some chemical if it removes it, but I have two dogs and don't think it'd be a wise move to have poisons around them!

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

o7945f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Also other side had a crab apple bush thing which was quite dense, I've cut it all back. Need to try get rid of this as well.

2rdw9p3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Am a bit puzzled by what you mean as a mint plant/bush. Mint is very invasive but doesn't have stems up to a cm thick etc. I think you may have vinca of some sort, but difficult to tell. To really rid the bed of a very invasive plant you need to use a chemical of some sort - glyphosate would be the most common - Roundup, Gallup etc. No need to drown the place in it :) Follow the instructions. You might need to let it regrow a little first to give the weedkiller a surface to act on. Just keep the dogs away while applying and for a few hours afterwards and it should be ok.
    For trees and bushes it's enough to dig up the roots. They won't sprout again.

Advertisement